Author Topic: Back Pain  (Read 2808 times)

patrick c.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
Back Pain
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:56:49 PM »
Newcomer to the back pain scene and hoping for some suggestions on how to deal/cope with this.  Woke up feeling a little stiff this morning and by the end of the day I couldn't stand up straight.  Is this something that just happens as you age? I'm 26 and thought I was in fairly good shape/health before today.  Thanks for any input or advice.
*I know there's probably been dozens of threads on this but I couldn't find anything(search function is garbage),  would greatly appreciate any links to old threads*
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Back Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 12:14:41 PM »
lower back? does it run down your leg?

im roughy your age and thought i was in alright shape but ive had back problems for years

coneklr

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
That is about the time it started with me and I was in the best shape of my life.  I will tell you how I handled it ( not that it is the right way so I'm not saying take my advice, it's just what I've done )

First time it went out ... mid 20s ... scary as shit, I thought I was paralyzed from the waist down ( realized later after a couple more experiences of varying levels of pain that I wasn't paralyzed, it was just my body could not deal with the intense pain any movement was causing and I was in shock ) as I couldn't move my legs for 30 min and friends called an ambulance.  Get the the hospital and they have me on a stretcher in the hall.  After 30-40 min a nurse comes by and asks what happened and if I can move, I tell her it just felt like my back shifted and I was in intense pain and couldn't move for about 30 but now I can move but am in extreme pain when I do.  She leaves and comes back 5 min later with Tylenol and codeine and says she'll be back in a bit.  She comes back a bit later and I tell her I'm still in pain, she proceeds to give me more pain meds and tells me, I shit you not, "When you can walk, you can leave".  I was blown the fuck away.  From that moment on I vowed I'd never waste a shit ton of money going back to the hospital for this again ( which is probably very dumb of me )

So there have been a couple other times this has happened, to varying degrees and never really as bad as the first but the other pretty bad time was ridiculous.  I moved a 20lb box, set it down and when I went to stand back up it just shifted and went out.  I was lucky my gf at the time took care of me for the 2 weeks I was on the couch in pain, mostly just getting up to hit the bathroom and for the first few days biting down on a washcloth on the walk up the stairs to the bath room because any shift in my back would instantly create the worst pain I could tolerate.  Anyways, it eventually subsided and life went back to normal again minus this constant feeling of a pressure in my lower back.

Years of 1-2 trips to chiro/massage per week and some yoga and trying to stay in decent shape and I'm pretty good most days.  I still eat an edible before bed a lot of nights ( I don't get to enjoy the head high as it comes on while I'm sleeping but the body high is there in the morning which is when your back will usually feel the worst, so this works perfectly and keeps you off rx meds )  and knock on wood I've been pretty good for a while now.  Just know when it comes to skating that the jumping down big shit is most likely done unless you are willing to take that risk ( although 3 of the 4 times I've had a bad episode was doing something small so I may just be being overly protective but that is where I am comfortable ) but I've still been skating and doing everything I used to do, I just don't risk big shit or tricks that really tweak my back these days to try to be preventative and I always stop for the day at the first sign of any weird feelings down there.

Sorry for the long post and for your pain!  I hope you find what works for you!

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses Paco & Coneklr. I'm going to really pursue stretching/yoga/core strengthening going forward and hopefully try to ease back into skating over time. I'm mainly worried about getting through work this week. Also I found an earlier thread that had some useful suggestions:
http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85645.msg2329927#msg2329927
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Second Division

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »
I've had back pain for a few years now, and have found that a combo of PT and yoga really helped. When it first happened, I saw a chiropractor for a few weeks and that got me back on my feet/moving, but PT really got me back to about 85%. After a while of PT, they kicked me out because it wasn't getting better, so I semi-reluctantly started doing yoga, (great decision though) and haven't stopped since. I probably do it once a week now, and more when my back is flaring up. I personally just use videos on youtube in my apartment rather than going to a place, but either way, I definitely recommend trying it.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:07:35 AM »
Thanks for the responses Paco & Coneklr. I'm going to really pursue stretching/yoga/core strengthening going forward and hopefully try to ease back into skating over time. I'm mainly worried about getting through work this week. Also I found an earlier thread that had some useful suggestions:
http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85645.msg2329927#msg2329927

Started doing the yoga for lower back routine in this thread and it's helped me loads.

islajack

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 09:45:15 PM »
You're so young for this pain, but I felt back pain once when I had got up some weight while my workout, and it's being many days, so I brought back massage chair which I got through Relax The Back coupons, it's really help me for my back pain, and my mother also use it, when she feels some pain on her back.   

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 07:24:08 PM »
I started getting lower back spasms about 7 years ago, some so bad that I was out for weeks. Went to the doctors and Japanese chiropractors, checked it out and it wasn’t a herniated disk: no pain down the leg. Just one muscle in my lower back seizing up, and spreading out from there.

Went to chiro a few times and it would help relax me, but the problem would always eventually return.

Then one day I was snowboarding, hitting bigger jumps with no warm-up, and I could feel my back slowly stiffening up through the day. No sudden muscle seizing like before, but a growing stiffness, until my whole back was pretty much immobile, and stayed like that.

Nothing worked, chiro did nothing. It would get a bit better, but simple movements would trigger back spasms. No skating or snowboarding. Finally after 6 months of this shit, and no improvement, I went to a doctor to see if I need surgery, if it was nerve damage or something.

I work as an instructor in the winter and I was worried I wouldn’t be able to work. So in September I go see the doc, get x-rays, and luckily no nerve damage. So he referred me to a proper sports physio program run in the hospital which I went to for 2 times a week for over year.

And it worked. Turns out years of bad posture (me as a young kid thinking the hunched over skate style was cool) and desk work had my lower back doing all the work supporting my upper body, instead of the stomach muscles helping with that (if you stand up straight)

So from not doing any exercise for over half a year because of my back spasms, my whole body had atrophied, and was a fucking mess. The physiotherapist did a bunch of movement tests on me. Everything was fucked and misaligned, but she figured out what needed to be strengthened first and slowly built up core muscles and then into other connected areas. She saved me.

So in my specific case, it was core, especially stomach muscles. I had to relearn how to engage them during movements, and I’m now, at 45 learning how to stand up like a human. And having to relearn how I stand and crouch on a skateboard and snowboard.

But I’m pain-free, and am pretty much back to where I was pre-pain.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »
Yoga!

Cat/Cow stretches

Twist poses (google)

Hamstring stretches (get a yoga strap)

Engage your core whenever you get up from sitting, bed, falling, etc.

Strengthen your core (do vacuums, google it, Transverse Abdominis, it's the muscle you use to suck in your gut, the 'backside' of your abs, this is where the core spine/back support is.

Get good arch supports/check your feet, poor shoe support messes with knees/hips/back.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:51:14 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »
Get good arch supports/check your feet, poor shoe support messes with knees/hips/back.

Truth, good insoles that correct your arch have been a game changer for me on. Better knees and lower instances of ankle injuries when I skate.

Watch your posture when you're sitting at your desk or car.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 11:23:45 AM »
Lower back problems since 2007..
Basically from hard working, lifting to much shit the wrong way, not enough muscles, beeing to lazy for workouts. What helped me :
manual therapy, back swimming, back muscle training, hiking, massages, basic yoga, fascia tapping, wearing a lumbotrain bandage at work, sitting straight at my desk and not to long, lifting stuff out of my legs and not out of my back, working 30 hours instead of 40 and.. a really good mattress insted of that cheap stuff with no support.
Wish you all the best.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 11:45:16 AM »
I had some issues at the end of last year. It was the worst. Any movement was super painful. When it had gotten a little better I started doing this exercise every other day. It helped a lot. It is specifically good for lower back pain. It is in German, but it is pretty self explanatory.

https://youtu.be/EKJoeNhkNzU

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 10:43:30 PM »
I've got a lump inbetween my lower back and left buttock. Right under where the back dimple is. It's not painful but it definitely feels as if movements like deadlifting and squatting would aggravate it. Anyone else experienced this? I can't tell of it's muscle or not. Might head in to the doctor and see if I should get an MRI.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 12:15:18 PM »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 12:15:53 PM »
Nah, I hope you're okay homie.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 11:19:44 PM »
I had a permi back spasm I think from skating....I'm regular foot, so my whole lead side only existed to stablize and get crunched up while my right side extended ie. pushing.   So it would never relax. 

PT, regular stretching, rolling out, and managing what I did helped....

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 03:32:30 AM »
Find a good osteopath... mine has been instrumental in keeping me skating and managing back/neck/shoulder/ankle injuries.

Actually just got back from an appointment, had an impacted Si joint and damaged muscle in my lower back... it's all been straightened out now and I'm taped up for a few days while it all heals in place.