Author Topic: Jerry Hsu | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 88  (Read 15658 times)

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Jerry Hsu | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 88
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:02:36 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: Jerry Hsu | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 88
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 12:13:40 AM »
going to give this a listen at work.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:45:50 AM »
Roger without facial hair looks like a thin Michael Moore.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 12:53:03 AM »
That Roger dude looks like a scary creep without facial hair. It's frightening to look at.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:47:21 AM »
Jerry also prays for little shmatty 🙏

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 01:50:41 AM »
why didn't you just listen to it and then make a comment? what does anyone get out of hearing your plans for tomorrow? you're just wasting space here bud.

this episode seemed pretty heavily edited. lots of awkward conversations that abruptly ended, also seems like chris roberts doesn't listen to anything his guests say as he just continues to talk. also funny how he can somehow slide the sw flip manny into any conversation no matter how randomly and/or out of place. there was hardly any talk of any of the videos jerry has been in besides bag of suck which we've all heard about a million times over along with the fuckin'storm flip. honestly this one was pretty lazy for what it could've been in my eyes but it was still alright just cause of it being jerry.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:56:22 AM by shouldn't »

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Rep: 34
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 02:59:23 AM »
I love the conversation about the Table For 1 blog. As for why it weirds so many people out, I'd say that the act of eating alone is not a beneficial behavior in scenarios where food is scarce. Primal instinct to want to group up and protect the food source. That or people are just self conscious.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 03:47:48 AM »
I didn't realize until this episode that he is actually off Chocolate
wash uffize drive me to firenze

SonictheHedgehog

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 04:48:29 AM »
Boys of Summer was a sleeper video of 2015, really enjoyed that one. Super laid back, STACKED cast (probably one of the best ever), great soundtrack.. what else could you want? Andrew Allen closing it out with Band on the Run was classic, Gino's Gardere line at the end of the FA part, Olson kicking it off with a surprising amount of stuff, and they mixed all sorts of footage formats (mostly iPhone with fisheye adaptors but also VX, DSLR, HVX, etc) but somehow it worked. Looking forward to the sequel.

Also where can I get some Sci-Fantasy gear?

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 07:50:28 AM »
Once in awhile, the bro vibe of this show bothers the shit out of me. I knew they would not talk about him leaving Chocolate and that's exactly what happened. This was especially boring for a skater that I really admire.

SonictheHedgehog

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »
Once in awhile, the bro vibe of this show bothers the shit out of me. I knew they would not talk about him leaving Chocolate and that's exactly what happened. This was especially boring for a skater that I really admire.

They talk about it at 1:21:15.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They talk about it at 1:21:15.

They really don't.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »
I didn't realize until this episode that he is actually off Chocolate

me too. my shop just got a few of the beavis completes. I guess it's old stock, which is why they got a few.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 09:21:02 AM »
The really struggled at the end to keep the conversation going and the storm flip topic has been beaten to death. I like the table for 1 blog though.

A.J.K.

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 09:23:00 AM »

I have not watched this episode, but in general, agreed. I find it strange they seem to take pride in doing little to no prep for guests. Roger and Kelly know their stuff, but it usually comes out as a reaction to what the guest says, not as the source of questions and conversation.

I can't remember who it was, but something along the lines of the Nine Club creating an online archive of skate history was said on the show at some point. To me, that's Chromeball Incident, which probably has the most consistently nerd-friendly, detailed, and novel interviews relative other skate media. Imagine if Chops released audio for those?

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have not watched this episode, but in general, agreed. I find it strange they seem to take pride in doing little to no prep for guests. Roger and Kelly know their stuff, but it usually comes out as a reaction to what the guest says, not as the source of questions and conversation.

I can't remember who it was, but something along the lines of the Nine Club creating an online archive of skate history was said on the show at some point. To me, that's Chromeball Incident, which probably has the most consistently nerd-friendly, detailed, and novel interviews relative other skate media. Imagine if Chops released audio for those?

It is Chromeball for sure. Dude asks every question.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 09:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
why didn't you just listen to it and then make a comment? what does anyone get out of hearing your plans for tomorrow? you're just wasting space here bud.

this episode seemed pretty heavily edited. lots of awkward conversations that abruptly ended, also seems like chris roberts doesn't listen to anything his guests say as he just continues to talk. also funny how he can somehow slide the sw flip manny into any conversation no matter how randomly and/or out of place. there was hardly any talk of any of the videos jerry has been in besides bag of suck which we've all heard about a million times over along with the fuckin'storm flip. honestly this one was pretty lazy for what it could've been in my eyes but it was still alright just cause of it being jerry.

going to give this comment a good thorough read at work.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 09:55:21 AM »
Man I've been waiting for a Jerry episode forever, but this one was a let down.

Casual conversation is fine, but this was such low energy.

pistachio

• Rep: -6
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »
I'll also agree with the comment about this only being good because it was Jerry; it certainly could have been better.

However, the irony that is Crob mentioning that he dislikes that "every person tags him in Courthouse tricks" is kind of funny, considering he is probably the sole person who has cultivated this stigma about himself.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 09:57:02 AM »
I love the conversation about the Table For 1 blog. As for why it weirds so many people out, I'd say that the act of eating alone is not a beneficial behavior in scenarios where food is scarce. Primal instinct to want to group up and protect the food source. That or people are just self conscious.
I've had this conversation with people for years and it also seems to be they feel like losers. I myself eat alone sometimes and actually enjoy it
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

CRob sucks as an interviewer, yet is constantly praising himself and the show. It's the most annoying thing ever. I don't understand how they can put all this work into shooting the show, editing it, pulling out related memorabilia for guests, etc. and then do absolutely zero research for the actual conversation. Time and time again CRob shows how ignorant and basic he is (constantly praising Amazon, not understanding net profits, asking someone whose last name is Dill why they're called "Pickle," etc.) all while thinking he's the Howard Stern of skateboarding interviews.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »
love hearing all those old SJ spots...I still hit up Greer Palo Alto

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 10:32:49 AM »
Jerry is in my top 3 but I felt this episode kinda boring, maybe because it's pretty much the same interview that I heard in the the Bunt.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

CRob sucks as an interviewer, yet is constantly praising himself and the show. It's the most annoying thing ever. I don't understand how they can put all this work into shooting the show, editing it, pulling out related memorabilia for guests, etc. and then do absolutely zero research for the actual conversation. Time and time again CRob shows how ignorant and basic he is (constantly praising Amazon, not understanding net profits, asking someone whose last name is Dill why they're called "Pickle," etc.) all while thinking he's the Howard Stern of skateboarding interviews.

It's as if a semi-relevant professional skater with a dwindling career decided to start a podcast despite having absolutely no background in entertainment, broadcasting, or interviewing. I never would have guessed that he would perform so poorly.

I'm not listening to this. Does Jerry have a new board sponsor or what?

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
I am commenting on this thread at work.

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »
I have the day off of work today. Might give this a listen while I clean the kitchen.

ungzilla

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »
none of the toads or any other wild creatures i'm friends with even have kitchens you're lying

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
I actually really loved Jerry's dry responses to Crob's neediness and watching him pull together great anecdotes and jokes out of empty questions. He's one of my favorites on and off the board and I hope he expands Sci Fi Fantasy into a board brand. Curious who the Sci Fi Fantasy dream team would consist of.

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »
Just about to chow down some eggs on toast before I jump in the shower and rub one out quickly while a coffee is brewing, following which I'll give this a listen while I do laundry and vacuum the house.

The anticipation is truly palpable.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »
Chocolate's site still has Jerry listed on the team