Author Topic: what happened to Jacob Ovgrens art on Polar?  (Read 10604 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
Re: what happened to Jacob Ovgrens art on Polar?
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2017, 05:42:01 AM »
yeah that Dane board is rough looking,couple boardslides and its gone though. I'm really liking where polars graphics are at currently, the Dear. collab looks amazing as does the Tres Bien series

Grind King Rims

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2017, 05:50:42 AM »
The thing with a lot of those graphics that are intentionally left as rough sketches is that they're incredibly hit or miss. It seems like, because it's trending at the minute, people haven't fully figured out what makes them good or bad, or where they are appropriate or not, and it shows. We saw the same issue when clean, minimalist graphics were all the rage a year or two ago.

When I see people get the intentionally fucked up drawings as tattoos, I feel out of touch with art.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2017, 05:49:21 PM »
Saying you think something is overrated and meh is not hating on it, but saying you don't understand what the fuss is all about.  
Make sense?
maybe it's because I'm an Aussie but I think their graphics are amazing. context and all that jazz...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JAesop

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2017, 06:08:44 PM »
A lot of the fall stuff is collab with Dear,Skating and is all Ron Chatman art.  Can't hate on that...

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:11:11 PM by JAesop »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2017, 03:28:27 AM »
I agree with a lot of what you just said BUT you kind of missed the point. I for one am not always on the search for 'the new new'
For example Baker has barely changed their art direction since the early 2000s, they are still as relevant as ever?
The baker Ams video they put out has been perhaps the best clip this year?
Every shop I have been into in the last 15 years has had a baker logo board on the wall.

What I was saying a company loses its identity (rendering it stale, not necessarily unpopular) when they change their art direction and team. Polar was an exciting Euro company. I just think them adding a hesh aussie is another example of them losing what once made them special.

you're right about Baker, they are a good example of a company somehow managing to get the best from both worlds. they arguably might make for an exception though, rather than the rule - the 'all-star' type of team coupled with Reynolds' legacy as well as being based in Cali definitely gives them some kind of universal street cred that is hard for anyone else to compete with, among both the die-hard fans who actually get the gist of the history behind the brand and have been following them from the start, and the constantly repopulated generations of mid-to-late teens who fixate over the 'punk' logo (which is just as bland as it is strong and efficient - pair that up with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' saying, and you get the idea behind its longevity).

were we to compare Baker with, say, anything Crail (which has similar legendary skater-owned and -ran origins, plus they were just brought up in this thread too), i'd say those points i just mentioned are exactly what sets them apart in terms of popularity ; in comparison, say, the Girl logo (albeit originally just as bold, strong and essentially accessible as the Baker logo) doesn't seem to age nearly as well, in terms of popularity among the younger generations, plus the (again, originally solid and outstanding) general imagery of Girl and Chocolate has notoriously been getting diluted with every new modernization of the team rosters etc... basically Crail appears to be less successful as 'updating themselves' throughout the years as Baker. which, in a way, goes back to what i was bringing up in my former post earlier.

and then again, of course, bang-for-your-buck logic-wise, quality of the wood has to be the nail in the coffin for Crail seemingly failing to retain its popularity. even those of us who would like to keep giving Girl decks a chance all the while not really giving a shit what their current team or public image might be (or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, the more artless kids who just like the logos and recent videos and would be inclined to give the products a try) are bound to be turned down by the experience with the terrible wood. mind you, this is coming from someone who skated nothing but Girl decks for years back in the early 2000's (probably had 15 in a row at some point) before they moved the production to China, and, ironically enough, never even liked Baker in the slightest (as much as i like the skaters and respect skater-ran enterprises, i was actually siding with those complaining about the shitty influence the brand was bound to have on the next generation of kids, back when it first came out and caused quite the amount of controversy). now, in all fairness, i got to go through two Crail decks last year... the first one was actually pretty amazing. (the second one, on the other hand...). looking forward to trying whatever comes out of the new woodshop they are supposedly moving on to now.

i get what you're trying to say about Polar but i don't think adding a 'hesh aussie' to the team will distract from the original image of the company, i'm failing to understand your worries because Polar has been sponsoring dudes from all over the world forever. really, is there anything that makes french dudes like Kevin Rodrigues & Paul Grund or US skaters such as Aaron Herrington less exotic than Hesh Aussie ? it's like from as soon as the early years of Polar, half the team was never Swedish. i mean, from a purist's perspective, essentially, you are right, but when your company is growing, you've got to adapt to a worldwide demand and spontaneously start working with people from all over the world, what are you supposed to do ? did you feel a similar way when Jimmy Lannon first got on Magenta too ? (again, would be understandable)

were we to ever worry about Polar's future, personally my biggest concern would be investors knocking on Pontus' door only to then suddenly take full control of the company which is exactly what happened to Cliche back in the days, thing is Pontus was actually skating for Cliche back when that happened and the whole event is exactly what made Pontus quit. seeing as he's been through that, i really don't think he would ever let the same thing happen to his own brand - plus he's a control maniac - before he really feels over the brand which i don't see happening anytime soon. and by that time, more exciting euro companies will be around i'm sure.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:33:45 AM by silhouette »

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2017, 05:11:52 AM »
Expand Quote
I agree with a lot of what you just said BUT you kind of missed the point. I for one am not always on the search for 'the new new'
For example Baker has barely changed their art direction since the early 2000s, they are still as relevant as ever?
The baker Ams video they put out has been perhaps the best clip this year?
Every shop I have been into in the last 15 years has had a baker logo board on the wall.

What I was saying a company loses its identity (rendering it stale, not necessarily unpopular) when they change their art direction and team. Polar was an exciting Euro company. I just think them adding a hesh aussie is another example of them losing what once made them special.

[close]

you're right about Baker, they are a good example of a company somehow managing to get the best from both worlds. they arguably might make for an exception though, rather than the rule - the 'all-star' type of team coupled with Reynolds' legacy as well as being based in Cali definitely gives them some kind of universal street cred that is hard for anyone else to compete with, among both the die-hard fans who actually get the gist of the history behind the brand and have been following them from the start, and the constantly repopulated generations of mid-to-late teens who fixate over the 'punk' logo (which is just as bland as it is strong and efficient - pair that up with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' saying, and you get the idea behind its longevity).

were we to compare Baker with, say, anything Crail (which has similar legendary skater-owned and -ran origins, plus they were just brought up in this thread too), i'd say those points i just mentioned are exactly what sets them apart in terms of popularity ; in comparison, say, the Girl logo (albeit originally just as bold, strong and essentially accessible as the Baker logo) doesn't seem to age nearly as well, in terms of popularity among the younger generations, plus the (again, originally solid and outstanding) general imagery of Girl and Chocolate has notoriously been getting diluted with every new modernization of the team rosters etc... basically Crail appears to be less successful as 'updating themselves' throughout the years as Baker. which, in a way, goes back to what i was bringing up in my former post earlier.

and then again, of course, bang-for-your-buck logic-wise, quality of the wood has to be the nail in the coffin for Crail seemingly failing to retain its popularity. even those of us who would like to keep giving Girl decks a chance all the while not really giving a shit what their current team or public image might be (or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, the more artless kids who just like the logos and recent videos and would be inclined to give the products a try) are bound to be turned down by the experience with the terrible wood. mind you, this is coming from someone who skated nothing but Girl decks for years back in the early 2000's (probably had 15 in a row at some point) before they moved the production to China, and, ironically enough, never even liked Baker in the slightest (as much as i like the skaters and respect skater-ran enterprises, i was actually siding with those complaining about the shitty influence the brand was bound to have on the next generation of kids, back when it first came out and caused quite the amount of controversy). now, in all fairness, i got to go through two Crail decks last year... the first one was actually pretty amazing. (the second one, on the other hand...). looking forward to trying whatever comes out of the new woodshop they are supposedly moving on to now.

i get what you're trying to say about Polar but i don't think adding a 'hesh aussie' to the team will distract from the original image of the company, i'm failing to understand your worries because Polar has been sponsoring dudes from all over the world forever. really, is there anything that makes french dudes like Kevin Rodrigues & Paul Grund or US skaters such as Aaron Herrington less exotic than Hesh Aussie ? it's like from as soon as the early years of Polar, half the team was never Swedish. i mean, from a purist's perspective, essentially, you are right, but when your company is growing, you've got to adapt to a worldwide demand and spontaneously start working with people from all over the world, what are you supposed to do ? did you feel a similar way when Jimmy Lannon first got on Magenta too ? (again, would be understandable)

were we to ever worry about Polar's future, personally my biggest concern would be investors knocking on Pontus' door only to then suddenly take full control of the company which is exactly what happened to Cliche back in the days, thing is Pontus was actually skating for Cliche back when that happened and the whole event is exactly what made Pontus quit. seeing as he's been through that, i really don't think he would ever let the same thing happen to his own brand - plus he's a control maniac - before he really feels over the brand which i don't see happening anytime soon. and by that time, more exciting euro companies will be around i'm sure.

Very well put silhouette. I enjoyed reading that and for the most part I agree.

Gorgeous

• Rep: -7
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2017, 01:56:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
wait what, someone is gunna hate on passport?
#onlyonslap
[close]

right? of alllllll the companies to just throw out there..
[close]

Attention dumbasses,  

Saying you think something is overrated and meh is not hating on it, but saying you don't understand what the fuss is all about.  
Make sense?

Everyone who thinks they're cool is a wannabe artist and art critic these days. Crail produces some average stuff but they produce some great stuff as well, but they're not cool anymore so therefore their stuff sucks. Their best stuff in the last year or so is more aesthetically pleasing than anything I've seen from your cool companies, I don't give a fuck what you sheep think.

[close]
Sadly, Real has more aesthetically pleasing decks than Crail. Crailtap has 5-10 decent decks per season, and it's mostly Chocolate. You don't have any love for Todd Francis/Anti-Hero? Go back to the warehouse and pack those soggy, logo decks.

LOL, Real and their all-of-a-sudden attempts at producing artsy graphics. This is the kind of shit i'm talking about.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
I just think them adding a hesh aussie is another example of them losing what once made them special.

Nah, Brass fits well i think and if it means a Boserio/ Jimmy Roche Polar tag team on video at some point then that's even more outstanding

Zak

• Rep: -19
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2017, 01:09:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For real. Also, something is starting starting to irk me about Polar's blatant nike alignment.
[close]

They literally just made a shoe with converse..
[close]
Nike owns Converse.

Hear about that Thrasher X Vanity Fair collab ?

(Vanity Fair owns Vans)

fergus

• Rep: 46
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2017, 01:16:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For real. Also, something is starting starting to irk me about Polar's blatant nike alignment.
[close]

[close]
Nike owns Converse.
[close]

Hear about that Thrasher X Vanity Fair collab ?

(Vanity Fair owns Vans)

Nah. VF Corp, who is completely unrelated to Vanity Fair owns Vans.

Mongoloid

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2018, 06:52:36 AM »
New Polar decks are featuring some work by Jacob, and looking as sick as ever.

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2018, 08:09:14 AM »
New Polar decks are featuring some work by Jacob, and looking as sick as ever.

holy shit, I don't know how did I miss these news. This made my day
Just shred some serious gnar.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2018, 11:13:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I never liked these graphics.
[close]
Same. Polar is way overrated. It's not a bad company, just very meh to me. Somehow got rated cool by coolguys and there you go.
Passport too.
Bring the hate coolguys!!!
[close]

Polar boards is the best thing in skateboarding right now
[close]
[close]

Do not dislike Polar in the least bit. The aesthetic and art direction is one of the best in skateboarding right now. The team is top notch too. I do with their softgoods weren't as expensive though. I'd love to try some of it out but can't spend $125 on jeans.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

I.C. Weiner

• Rep: -7
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2018, 01:50:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I never liked these graphics.
[close]
Same. Polar is way overrated. It's not a bad company, just very meh to me. Somehow got rated cool by coolguys and there you go.
Passport too.
Bring the hate coolguys!!!

I try and support European companies because they're closer to home for me. I love palace's team, but Polar's art direction and decks are better. Really love seeing my country in their videos, a country very much ignored in American videos.

SkateChimney

• Rep: -29
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Nike owns Converse.

how is this not common knowledge?

i dont like polar personally but i respect the brands direction