Author Topic: Beggining to skate, which brand to choose?  (Read 3732 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Re: Beggining to skate, which brand to choose?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
If you aren't going with a local shop, grab a Tactics complete.  $69 shipped. Generator wood, Mini Logo trucks (that I prefer over the Indy Hollows and Thunder Hollow Lights that I have), Mini Logo bearings are fine, and the wheels are as good as anything except the F4s or SPF/STF.

https://www.tactics.com/tactics/completes

If you order the 8.25, call and ask if they can build it with the 8.38" trucks and a 1/8" riser.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:00:27 AM by backinaction »

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »
all these people recommending trucks without knowing what kind of wheels he is getting?

they started color coding wheels and trucks so you know which ones are compatible.  Pick you wheels first and make sure you get trucks that are the same color so they fit properly.

They don't have to be the same color, that's just going to confuse him. Most big brands (Deluxe, Powell) have agreed on the COSNO (complementary OK, supplementary NOT OK) system for matching wheels and trucks. Remember though that violet by the consensus definition is not equal to purple. Anyway just ask the skateshop for a color wheel diagram so you can make an educated choice. Good shops will have at least one hanging around, it's super common.

badfomyhealth

• Rep: 7
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 11:21:13 AM »
you should go to your local shop and ask them

Badformyhealth is a severe alcoholic, confirmed.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
Expand Quote
all these people recommending trucks without knowing what kind of wheels he is getting?

they started color coding wheels and trucks so you know which ones are compatible.  Pick you wheels first and make sure you get trucks that are the same color so they fit properly.
[close]

They don't have to be the same color, that's just going to confuse him. Most big brands (Deluxe, Powell) have agreed on the COSNO (complementary OK, supplementary NOT OK) system for matching wheels and trucks. Remember though that violet by the consensus definition is not equal to purple. Anyway just ask the skateshop for a color wheel diagram so you can make an educated choice. Good shops will have at least one hanging around, it's super common.

oh good call does anyone have a link to the wheel wheel? 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »
Like someone said earlier, you should really go to a skateshop and ask a ton of questions. Go to a real skateshop and not zumiez or a large mall chain skate shop; those will probably try to rip you off and sell you everything under the sun (even though core skateshops do the same thing too sometimes). If you're looking to go cheap, which $90 is really cheap for getting an entire complete, I'd probably suggest buying a shop complete set up if they have one. I doubt you will be able to stay within your $90 budget if you just customize your board yourself but you never know. If you do go custom, i'd suggest buying the shop brand board (they're usually the cheapest), buy some spitfire wheels (usually the cheapest and they get the job done), buy some bones red bearings (the shop will try to sell you swiss but they're $40), i'd suggest buying independent trucks if you're going to buy a wider board (8.0 and up) or buy some ventures if you're staying at 8 or belong in width. Get jessup griptape or mob (don't know anything about grizzly's quality, and just get any kind of hardware but careful to see if you're getting bolts with that require a screwdriver or an allen wrench.

All in all, finding out what you like in skateboarding will take time. It's all about trial and error learning what works and what doesn't work for you. However, there are a few tips that can be helpful.

-If you think you're going to like doing a lot of flip tricks, get a more narrow board (7.5-8") with narrow trucks and smaller wheels.
-If you think you're going to skate transition (aka quarterpipes, bowls, etc.) get a wider board with wider trucks and larger wheels (8-8.5")

Good luck!
-

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 12:58:02 PM »
first thing, travel back in time to emb circa '93. Show up around 2-3pm, locals will be trickling in by then. Locate Scott Johnson, he's the tall dude with the armload of his own pro model, he just turned pro for this company called Mad Circle. Next, cruise over to the group of younger kids on the steps who are giggling about some mischief, ask for Karl, he's got those Venture 5.0s for you. You're about halfway there, grab a snapple and sit on the steps for a minute, observing Kelch's antics. In fact, just stay right there, by now everybody knows you're putting a board together, and they've seen exactly how much is in your wallet when you pulled it out to pay for the other stuff. Somebody will be along to sell you the rest shortly. If it's getting dark out, I'd recommend waiting in the Carl's jr. for your mom to come pick you up, it gets a little chilly this time of year.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »
first thing, travel back in time to emb circa '93. Show up around 2-3pm, locals will be trickling in by then. Locate Scott Johnson, he's the tall dude with the armload of his own pro model, he just turned pro for this company called Mad Circle. Next, cruise over to the group of younger kids on the steps who are giggling about some mischief, ask for Karl, he's got those Venture 5.0s for you. You're about halfway there, grab a snapple and sit on the steps for a minute, observing Kelch's antics. In fact, just stay right there, by now everybody knows you're putting a board together, and they've seen exactly how much is in your wallet when you pulled it out to pay for the other stuff. Somebody will be along to sell you the rest shortly. If it's getting dark out, I'd recommend waiting in the Carl's jr. for your mom to come pick you up, it gets a little chilly this time of year.
If a guy called Wheatberry tries to sell you wheels make sure none of them are actually potatoes.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 01:32:19 PM »
i give credit to anyone whos first step to start skating is to go on slap and post about it before even getting a board.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »
i give credit to anyone whos first step to start skating is to go on slap and post about it before even getting a board.

Legend has it that's how Bobby Puleo started
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

NNukBomba

• Rep: 2
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 07:34:56 AM »
Thanks guys, I got a Toy Machine complete.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:11:42 AM by NNukBomba »

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
Thanks guys, I got a Toy Machine complete.

that's a very advanced board. be careful. become familiar with "johnny layton."
good come sausage