Author Topic: tips on making your legs not useless after winter  (Read 5069 times)

Patey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
tips on making your legs not useless after winter
« on: March 20, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
im old as shit and fat and skated for the first time in months today, east coast winters are rough. legs barely could last 45 minutes before it was game over.

thinking about getting a foam roller and maybe hitting the elliptical a few times a week to get back to a place where im not getting embarassed by the switch heel 12 year olds at the local park.

any old farts got any spring routines they do to get back into shape? i dont care for the gym, really.

insults welcomed

asakusa75

Re: tips on making your legs not useless after winter
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »
Go to KMart, get a $2.50 skipping rope. Learn to skip properly, well...well enough anyway.
You dont need to go full Gino, but some regular skipping does wonders.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:37:43 PM »
Donate them to science

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:22:35 PM »
I know the struggle as someone between the ages of 27 and 63, and also around 200 pounds. But, skating is like, the best thing I have in life, and I fight like hell to be able to do it. I didn't skate much for a year in there, injured, and I know first hand that if you don't use it you loose it.

This is not for everyone, but for me, I follow a anti-inflamatory diet. I was clued onto a book called the virgin diet which works out well for me. I basically just don't eat the 7 foods that are no-no's on the diet all the time. What that means is that I have to cook every day, and that takes time. But again, I fight like hell, and when you aren't inflamed, you feel better.

Also, I do a youtube 15 minute ab workout three times a week, and walk several miles a day. I work out on an elliptical during the winters, but hey, it's time to skate now, and once you are at a decent cardiovascular level I'd rather focus on the abs and just walk to save my legs for skating. Also, yin yoga on days when I'm a total pile. That shit rules, and it's basically efforless. 

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
Responses in that thread were helpful

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 09:05:13 PM »
im old as shit and fat and skated for the first time in months today, east coast winters are rough. legs barely could last 45 minutes before it was game over.

thinking about getting a foam roller and maybe hitting the elliptical a few times a week to get back to a place where im not getting embarassed by the switch heel 12 year olds at the local park.

any old farts got any spring routines they do to get back into shape? i dont care for the gym, really.

insults welcomed

I am 27, work 10 hour overnight shifts and live on the east coast. I stand by the foam roller, man. I really think it works. I don't really have any proof but I feel like it helps me. Also, invest in some tiger balm.  I do accept that some days will take way longer to warm up than others. I am just happy to be out there, but for sure it can get frustrating. It helps me to push around for a while before I even try anything.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 09:22:25 PM »
I'm almost too lazy to care, but 3 years ago I made my last push to continue to skate on a level that did not bring shame to my wife and children and at that time I bought a track bike like John Cardiel. I forced myself to ride 6 miles everyday in under 18 min. I also made myself ride the 3 miles to the skate park on the bike. I dropped 10 lbs in 2 months and was in really good shape until I started getting really bad hip pains. Probably because I bought a cheep bike that did not fit me properly. My advice is to go to a bike shop and get fitted for a bike. I hate the gym also, but at least with biking you feel like you are heading somewhere and you have distinct goals.

Padre_del_pavito

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 01:07:29 AM »
Agree
biking

Soccer ball

Yoga mat

I feel like these are good counter-activities for the intense impacts of skating. Stretching will do wonders, you'll be floating Kenny reed-esque nollies by June!

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 06:51:45 AM »
How about you skate during the winter? I'm on the east coast too and skated almost every weekend this winter. Covered garages, wear layers, etc.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 07:34:31 AM »
I found running to be the best at keeping skate muscles in shape over winter. It was easy to hop right back on the board.

Now, my knees are too shitty to run so I'm doing the elliptical, biking, and some swimming. All those activities keep you in good general shape but I think they all lack the fast twitch action that skating requires.

I don't feel like garbage, which is good but I skated 3 times last week when the weather was good and that explosive power and reaction was definitely lacking. Of course, it could just be that I'm 4 months older than I was the last time I skated.

micky682

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »
How about you skate during the winter? I'm on the east coast too and skated almost every weekend this winter. Covered garages, wear layers, etc.
This. If it is dry, nothing else will help your skating besides just skating.

• Rep: -42
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 08:00:03 AM »
Don't forget about squat jumps
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:03:46 AM »
Go to KMart, get a $2.50 skipping rope. Learn to skip properly, well...well enough anyway.

This. An older friend recommended that I jump rope 50 times before i go skate. I'm only 25 but in the last year, I've noticed that I can skate longer and more frequently and when those ankle rolls happen, I don't get as mangled and can skate after a day or two of rest. Shit does miracles. Get a jump rope. If not, do 25 jumping jacks.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:09:13 AM »
This right here is one of the best purchases I’ve ever made https://www.thestick.com

I also incorporate deadlifts and squats into my workouts every other day. Strengthening the legs (with proper form) and stretching are key.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 08:14:15 AM »
do a lot of poops to keep your bowels limber
good come sausage

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »
do a lot of poops to keep your bowels limber

Not without the squatting potty https://www.squattypotty.com
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

bo golden

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 10:04:22 AM »
learn to like the gym, especially in the winter time.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 10:39:44 AM »
learn to like the gym, especially in the winter time.
This.  Also if you're budget doesn't allow for a gym membership I've been going through this routine with a set of thrift store dumbells and have definitely felt better on the board for it:
https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/how-to-build-muscle
I like that they give you videos to see how to do each exercise.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This. An older friend recommended that I jump rope 50 times before i go skate. I'm only 25 but in the last year, I've noticed that I can skate longer and more frequently and when those ankle rolls happen, I don't get as mangled and can skate after a day or two of rest. Shit does miracles. Get a jump rope. If not, do 25 jumping jacks.
+1 for jumping rope. But I'd do more than 50, get your stamina up to where you can go for 2-3 mins. It will completely warm you up as well as make your ankles, wrists and knees stronger.

foureyedjim

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 11:35:37 AM »
Skipping rope is cool, but think about it, how much do you actually bend your knees? 

Gotta work your legs more in a flexed position.  Squats, lunges, etc.  Regular and side planks so you don't hurt your back, double leg and single leg bridges on your back to work your glutes.
Also this:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:37:12 AM by foureyedjim »

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 11:43:57 AM »
Man, I couldn't even see her glutes. How do I know if this works if I can't see her glutes?

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 12:02:58 PM »
Three years ago I did 20 minutes of bodyweight exercises and stretching every day to get some power back for skating. Surpassed my expectations, pop got even better than when I was young (and did nothing but skate). Lost the routine, and now all my discipline seems to get sucked up by being a parent. Started swimming last year, which I can also recommend. Twice a week, 30-45 minutes felt like a good addition to the odd skate session here and there.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 12:22:11 PM »
follow this guy on IG, or at least look through the posts and find exercises that target the areas you're having issues with.

https://www.instagram.com/dr.kylebrown/?hl=en

Mongoloid

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 12:31:08 PM »
My answer to all this type of shit is just to power through it.

I guess things are different as I don't sit in a cubicle all day, and I at least try to ice skate here or there throughout the winter (huge hockey nerd).

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »
As a skater who started in the late 80's I was always against jockism to the point where even working out seemed like a lame thing. Now I am 42, living in Colorado, and absolutely have to do 'something' to keep alright during the winters and ready for skating in the good months. I've tried lots of different things that just never caught my interest until this winter when I started to incorporate kickboxing into my solo workouts. I feel like the pressure of punching and kicking a 100lb bag slightly mimics slamming on concrete and in my mind keeps you tough. Having a boxing timer app on your phone helps with the cardio aspect because you can set several rounds with 30 second rest periods in between.

So far it hasn't been boring and I actually look forward to it sometimes. Nothing will ever replace skating, but having something that helps you to keep street skating is key as you past 40 for sure.

fuck jocks

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »
Layer up and skate when it's dry.

If it's not, do at least 15 min of cardio and squat jumps, shit like that. I've been trying to do that daily anyways to get rid of the winter beer gut I recently accumulated.

Battery Aziz

• Rep: -1
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 01:49:05 PM »

Captain Party

• Rep: 0
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 02:51:29 PM »
get stoned and order chris gentry´s flippydippymachine, regret it the day you get it, resell it on ebay and use the 1,99 you get for that thing to get yourself a jumping rope. or go running, if you surprisingly can´t resell it.
https://www.proentertrainment.com/product-page/the-pro-trainer-hanger

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »