Author Topic: Bagley's wax method from Vinnie 9 club  (Read 10315 times)

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
Bagley's wax method from Vinnie 9 club
« on: March 22, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
early in the episode they talk about waxing ledges and Rog mentions prepping a ledge all night only to have it knobbed the next day. Can anyone elaborate on his wax/prep method?

MaitlandPrivado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
Re: Bagley's wax method from Vinnie 9 club
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »
In short he used a rub brick, some Salba sauce and some wax to make the ledge as nice as possible for grinding & sliding.

If you are looking for directions on how to do it -

Hopefully this curb/ledge has never been waxed. If it has, abandon it and find a clean section and check it for cracks and expansion joints so you know whether or not you need Quiksteel to fill them in.

Go to the hardware store and pick up
rub brick (or 2 if you have helpful, willing skate friends)
medium-large phillips screwdriver (to tighten rub brick handle when it loosens)
brush or broom (cheapest one with removable handle, leave handle at home/in car)
duct tape (cheapest they have is fine)
clear spray lacquer (Enamel also works, just dries slower. 1 can will do approximately 10-12' of single sided curb depending on paint thickness and wind conditions)
Steelstik (if necessary - this is a 2 part epoxy made by JB Weld that you mix in your hand, roll into thin rope and stuff neatly into crack)
rubber gloves (only if using Steelstik. cheap dishwashing styles work well, these will be thrown away)

First you want to rub brick the shit out of it to make it real nice. When using the rub brick you want to lean on it a bit to apply pressure and really grind those ridges flat. You will work up some dust and need to brush it off your work surface occasionally or it will greatly reduce your effectiveness. Keep rubbing until the surface is about smooth as a countertop across the top and about 3 inches down the front edges.

Next you will want to sweep the entire surface really well. Step back and look at the length of curb/ledge you have smoothed. If your desired distance of curb contained any major cracks or expansion joints, you can now carefully fill them in with the Steelstik. If you think you would like to extend your sweet ass smoothed curb later, take the duct tape and tape over the last few inches of smooth concrete on the ends. This will allow you to paint and shred the section of curb/ledge you have ground smooth now but make it easier to tie in to your next rub bricking session as it gives you a nice, clean, paint-free and pre-done area after you paint and remove it. If you don't do this, it will be a bitch to grind through the clear lacquer with your rub brick next time.

Then shake the daylights out of your rattle can clear lacquer and get ready to spray. Hold the can about 10-12 inches away if no breeze at all, a bit less if windy and spray the smoothed portion of the curb/ledge with a light coat from tape edge to tape edge (enough to barely look damp, not enough to look wet, yet) and let it sit for 5 minutes. Spray another medium coat and make it look damp and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Spray one final medium-thick coat and it should look uniformly wet when done. Peel the tape off and throw it away in the empty plastic bag you brought in your pack.

Next you pack up quickly and get the hell out of there. Go home so you don't get busted there waiting for it to dry by some cop who was called by a neighbor about the loud noise or the gluesniffer they saw feverishly rubbing the shit out of the sidewalk. Get cleaned up, change clothes, have a snack, make a bm, play some THPS2, listen to some KMK and take bong rips, watch Chomp On This VHS and roll out.

Finally you and everyone else from now until they end of time can shred the shit out of the perfect curb/ledge that YOU created. Enjoy it and always be on the lookout for the next great curb or ledge spot that you can help make skatable for everyone.

PS: Try to bring a friend or two to rotate with you between look out and grinding duty and remember to stay as inconspicuous as one can while being loud as fuck grinding down concrete by hand. Any passersby will wonder why you're spray painting invisible graffiti on some random curb with your strange friends so I treat the act as such and try not to let them see. You can also add a bit of wax if you want it super slick.

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »
Excellent walk through. Thank you very much!

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 04:32:33 AM »
Thanks for posting. I was looking for those directions, I've got a curb by the house going and couldn't remember the crack filler. You can use spray laquer but I prefer roll on, get the quick dry type, in my opinion you can control the coat a bit better. Also an angle grinder greatly speeds things up

Dr Dew

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:11:46 PM »
Bump

I was wondering if brushed on lacquer from a normal can works as well. Is there any reason people always use the spraycan version instead? just because there's less clean up involved? the normal lacquer is much cheaper

Dr Dew

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 01:14:16 PM »
also it's worth mentioning that the dust generated from using a rub brick on concrete is reallllyyyy bad for your lungs. just something to be aware of.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 01:22:44 PM »
Bump

I was wondering if brushed on lacquer from a normal can works as well. Is there any reason people always use the spraycan version instead? just because there's less clean up involved? the normal lacquer is much cheaper

[mg]https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/af39bfba-f014-4658-9c37-6b81d5045483/svn/watco-lacquers-63041-64_1000.jpg[/img]
Same for me , should work. In another thread I'm mentioned thinning it down so it'd soak in a lil bit. Could last longer that way.
Spray can is just quick and easy. Heating the cans in warm water helps thin the paint.
Anyone dealt with powdery concrete? Seems like spray paint might work.

Dr Dew

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 01:26:22 PM »
i read that for finishing plywood projects you're supposed to do multiple coats of lacquer. the first one very diluted with water (50/50 ratio), the next one less diluted and so on, until the final coats are full strength. idk if that also applies to concrete though.

satan

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
i read that for finishing plywood projects you're supposed to do multiple coats of lacquer. the first one very diluted with water (50/50 ratio), the next one less diluted and so on, until the final coats are full strength. idk if that also applies to concrete though.
Lacquer and water? I don't think they mix. Lacquer or paint thinner? Other solvent?
A tiny first coat can help the paint to stick, kinda just mist it.

Dr Dew

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 02:05:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lacquer and water? I don't think they mix. Lacquer or paint thinner? Other solvent?
A tiny first coat can help the paint to stick, kinda just mist it.

I learned the hard way that it MUST be lacquer thinner. Both for thinning the lacquer and for washing the brush so it isn't destroyed after one use. it's in the same aisle as lacquer in home depot.

Another handy trick is that if you're doing multiple coats (with 2 hour wait between each for example), you don't have to fully clean the brush after each coat. just wrap it in an old t shirt/rag and pour some lacquer thinner on the brush and shirt. that will stop it from drying up before your next use

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 05:29:36 PM »
Or put brush/roller in a plastic bag with a rubber band around the handle.

satan

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »
Yep. I've done the plastic bag or cling wrap thing, works.

I've never brushed on lacquer. Long time ago I used to spray it with a gun/compressor. For thinner I'd just use whatever was on the shelf, didn't pay much attention either cuz I wasn't buying it. Paint thinner is usually a mix of 2-3 solvents like acetone, toluene, MEK, ethanol, etc. Acetone in the nail polish aisle might be cheapest. Stay away from MEK..

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »
If you're doing it at a school where there are cameras outdoors and you drove there, place your vehicle between you and view of the cameras. Plausible deniability without footage of you doing the deed.

I also will do the curbs furthest from the entrance of the office since faculty (i.e. - people who give a shit) will likely not park that far and not see my handiwork before completion and also not freak out about the possibility of a stray board shooting out into glass doors, etc. if they see you out in the parking lot after hours.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 08:29:43 AM »
Bump

I have also sucessfully used hammer paint. Grinding it felt like skating a painted curb (those red ones they have in the US).

satan

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Bump

[mg]https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/af39bfba-f014-4658-9c37-6b81d5045483/svn/watco-lacquers-63041-64_1000.jpg[/img]
[close]

I have also sucessfully used hammer paint. Grinding it felt like skating a painted curb (those red ones they have in the US).
https://www.hammerite.com
Hammerite? Good stuff, really tough paint, seems about as strong as epoxy/appliance enamel. I used to use it for car stuff. Probably work well on a deck if the texture doesn't bother you. Could use the silver on the edge of an unpainted curb and it wouldn't be super noticeable.

SSBS1080CBBSNP

• Rep: 18
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 08:07:22 PM »
Anyone have any result pics they’d share? Even if you didn’t do it. Before and after would be sick though. I’ve skated a few concrete, granite and marble ledges that had this done but didn’t understand why exactly they were so perfect at the time. Just thought it was a lot of wax over years.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 08:17:59 PM »
back in the day my mates and I would wear hi-vis vests so people wouldn't get suspicious about what we were doing to ledges...seemed to work pretty well.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 09:13:31 AM »
really need to find a curb near me. thread got me wanting to hit walmart for some clear spray lacquer to keep in my trunk when i find something.

so will a normal brick work versus a rub brick? Have some old bricks from my front walkway i'd just try if so.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 11:23:17 AM »
really need to find a curb near me. thread got me wanting to hit walmart for some clear spray lacquer to keep in my trunk when i find something.

so will a normal brick work versus a rub brick? Have some old bricks from my front walkway i'd just try if so.

I would say it depends how rough the curb is. I once used a brick to smoothen a curb. That gives you mad muscles ^^ And don't forget to remove the dust after you rubbed.
IG: @flowterspace

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 08:42:45 PM »
If you can sharpen a knife with a brick, you can smooth a curb with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEZI82-M_k

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 06:36:51 AM »
You are trying to remove the uneven surface that causes irregular friction. Anything that is harder than the curb will work. Rub bricks are designed for this type of work but not the only thing that will do the job.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

satan

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 08:56:47 PM »
Lacquered a couple old parking blocks this weekend. Some parts just crumble and turn to dust so I'm hoping the paint helps hold them together enough to be waxed. Ppl have been skating them for years and sometimes when I go they're really waxed up. Hopefully whoever notices the paint or they're gonna get served putting that much wax on em.

Been a minute since I used lacquer..
It's fairly thin/watery so it goes on thin and runs easily. This should be great for smooth crete like pool coping or parking blocks.
I also heated the can up in hot water before I left the house..

For crusty or porous crete I might try clear enamel or whatever multi-purpose paint. That should make a thicker coat and fill in the pores better.

I not sure about using polyurethane clear. Seems like it's gummy at first, and when it's hard thick coats can chip. Might work ok if you just wanna seal the edge where you'll be grinding.

I also found a 4 lbs mini sledge!
My lil buddy mjolnir let me hammer down the rebar on 4 parking blocks. Was easy to do, even from a kneeling position. Was also surprisingly quiet when the rebar would move.
If you hear a "dink" like the guys driving spikes for railroad track in an old Western movie the rebar probably isn't gonna budge. Changing the angle your hitting might help, spin to a different orientation, rebar usually isn't in perfectly straight..
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:54:40 PM by satan »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2020, 10:53:30 AM »
How long should one wait for the lacquer to dry before skating the curb?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 11:09:42 AM »
I'm an overnight guy. Or do it early in the day and come back at sunset.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »
Sunset is no bueno because Draculas are out in full force. Overnight it is! Thanks!
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 11:34:10 AM »
You are trying to remove the uneven surface that causes irregular friction. Anything that is harder than the curb will work. Rub bricks are designed for this type of work but not the only thing that will do the job.

Before I discovered rub bricks I would just use my trucks on my filmer board.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2020, 08:39:27 AM »
Follow-up:
Things didn’t go exactly as planned. It was windy, so the first coat was thicker than intended. Then people started showing up. I tried to wait them out, but after 15 mins I got bored, threw down a medium thick coat and left. I went back today to check it out. I did not do a great job, but it grinds decently well. Can I apply another coat of lacquer at this point (or later this week), or would I be better off finishing the job with a bit of wax?

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 09:01:18 AM »
You only Salba sauce’d it? I usually spray enough so it ‘stains’ the ledge (looks wet even though it’s not). Then throw wax over it. One coat does the trick for me, usually.

I’ve never clear coated over wax.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2020, 09:12:36 AM »
I may have misspoke. Yes, I only sauced it. I did not put any wax on it yet.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2020, 09:36:40 AM »
Any passersby will wonder why you're spray painting invisible graffiti on some random curb with your strange friends so I treat the act as such and try not to let them see.

Hard hat and high vis vest. You're a city worker.