Author Topic: Who was the first person to use the vx1000 mk1 set up?  (Read 3028 times)

hvx1000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Who was the first person to use the vx1000 mk1 set up?
« on: March 23, 2018, 03:04:38 PM »
Curious about some skate history
I dunno about Money but the fun is boomin'

Little Debbie

Re: Who was the first person to use the vx1000 mk1 set up?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »
Strobeck mentions that Wolfe was one of the first guys to get the MK1 going on the VX, that was east coast though. seems like there had to be California filmers who picked it up first.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 05:07:30 PM »
Strobeck mentions that Wolfe was one of the first guys to get the MK1 going on the VX, that was east coast though. seems like there had to be California filmers who picked it up first.

I might be mistaken but I am almost positive Wolfe didn’t film VX. He used a different camera that he heard was the more professional of the two and snagged that one. I think it was a Panasonic. Someone on here will know better than I.

Great question though.

Ty used one as early as 1996 for Rhythm - Genesis and I believe the VX came out in ‘95.

Edit: revisiting Genesis real quick and that’s def not VX/MK-1.

Also what year did the MK-1 even come out? Probably a bit of a gap between the release of the camera and the lens, no?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 05:11:48 PM by mattchew »
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 05:21:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I might be mistaken but I am almost positive Wolfe didn’t film VX. He used a different camera that he heard was the more professional of the two and snagged that one. I think it was a Panasonic. Someone on here will know better than I.

Great question though.

Ty used one as early as 1996 for Rhythm - Genesis and I believe the VX came out in ‘95.

Also what year did the MK-1 even come out? Probably a bit of a gap between the release of the camera and the lens, no?

The post was asking about who used the combo of the lens and camera first. The lens didn't come out until maybe 98'. I got mine in 99'.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »
I heard it was Wolfe, but at that time, he’d have been living in SF1. Heard the first clip was the Jeremy Wray FS 360 from Element World Tour.

1. Wolfe, Dan. Closure, 2003.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

sharkbarf

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 06:47:48 PM »
Chris Ortiz from 411

thebacker

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 07:04:08 PM »
some fucking idiot probably, didnt he know that it would just be obsolete in the early 2000's

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 06:28:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Great question though.

Wolfe just used the PD versions of the cameras, same body they just have XLR inputs and shoot a better codec (dvcam). The first Death lens I remember seeing was Jamie Thomas but he used it on a TRV 900, which was basically a smaller VX 1000 with some more modern features

Nic

• Rep: 3
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 07:58:56 AM »
I talked to Wolfe for a Jenkem thing coming out, pretty sure he was the first person to use the VX1000/MK1 combo and his first clip filming with it was Wray's fs 360 down the triple set. Atiba was there too and apparently he told Ty, "Yo, you gotta see this lens! It's huge!" Thus sparking Ty's descent into camera tech madness.

QueeferMadness

• Rep: -343
  • Don't Fear The Queefer
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 09:31:22 AM »
Ur mun

tiltmode43

• Rep: 1
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 12:47:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Great question though.

[close]
Wolfe just used the PD versions of the cameras, same body they just have XLR inputs and shoot a better codec (dvcam). The first Death lens I remember seeing was Jamie Thomas but he used it on a TRV 900, which was basically a smaller VX 1000 with some more modern features

Though both 3CCD, weren’t the sensors on the TRV smaller? Besides that, the colors it captured seemed closer to VX2(.1)k than VX1k. TRV900 w/baby death was okay, but never seemed great. Srry Beagle.

Years ago I was such a camera nerd. Long alive OG SP, I miss that shit. Had the TRV900, GL2, VX1k, Japanese VX1k, VX2.1k, and the big daddy 24P DVX100, most w/Century MKi/MKii glass.

I feel like I read it somewhere at some point, but anybody know who coined the term ‘death lens’? I think it was because of how close you had to be with the likelihood of getting nailed by the board/skater or something like that. Who gets the credit for that one?

Fun thread / history lesson, y’all.
Quote from: Frank
busenitz skating so fast as if he was on the autobahn

caivs

• Rep: -3
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Great question though.

[close]

What does PD version mean?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 05:20:58 PM »
Ancillary fact: Misled Youth was the first full mini dv video. But, as mentioned, a lot was TRV, as well as some VX but with a mix of different fisheyes.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 06:09:24 PM »
This thread is FULL of nerdery and I love it.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Great question though.

[close]
[close]

What does PD version mean?
Sony had a line of more professional broadcast cameras; the PD150 and the PD170. The 150 was the professional upgrade to the vx2000. The 170 was the professional upgrade to the vx2100. The VX1000 didn’t have a direct upgrade model. Jereme Daclin used the PD line to film Bon Apetit, but it wasn’t really popular for skateboard filmers outside of that. They were $4500 brand new plus the cost of the lens, which put them outside of the budget range of a lot of people at the time

Skateboarder did a “15 things you didn’t know about skateboarding” article on the VX once. I’m pretty sure they claimed Wolfe was the first
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:29:04 PM by tom »
fuck you bama

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Great question though.

[close]
[close]

Though both 3CCD, weren’t the sensors on the TRV smaller? Besides that, the colors it captured seemed closer to VX2(.1)k than VX1k. TRV900 w/baby death was okay, but never seemed great. Srry Beagle.

Years ago I was such a camera nerd. Long alive OG SP, I miss that shit. Had the TRV900, GL2, VX1k, Japanese VX1k, VX2.1k, and the big daddy 24P DVX100, most w/Century MKi/MKii glass.

I feel like I read it somewhere at some point, but anybody know who coined the term ‘death lens’? I think it was because of how close you had to be with the likelihood of getting nailed by the board/skater or something like that. Who gets the credit for that one?

Fun thread / history lesson, y’all.

It came back about a month ago. Not super active (currently) but everything is still archived.
Such a wealth of information on there, so stoked!
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 04:39:59 AM »
Ancillary fact: Misled Youth was the first full mini dv video. But, as mentioned, a lot was TRV, as well as some VX but with a mix of different fisheyes.
Actually the first full mini dv video was a video that Joe Castrucci made for Solid Brand (I believe that was his brand prior to working for the sect) it was pretty sick had this dude named Johnny something that was redneck Tom Penny if that makes sense, he had check out in a 411 also.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
death lens because it resembled the death star

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Actually the first full mini dv video was a video that Joe Castrucci made for Solid Brand (I believe that was his brand prior to working for the sect) it was pretty sick had this dude named Johnny something that was redneck Tom Penny if that makes sense, he had check out in a 411 also.

It's hard to say since it is likely a ripped VHS tape, but it looks like Hi-8 to me. Did Castrucci mention somewhere it was all mini DV?

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 07:39:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

It's hard to say since it is likely a ripped VHS tape, but it looks like Hi-8 to me. Did Castrucci mention somewhere it was all mini DV?
Yes he did, I believe it was at the beginning of the video, but maybe it said on the box

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 08:54:52 PM »

It came back about a month ago. Not super active (currently) but everything is still archived.
Such a wealth of information on there, so stoked!
[/quote]

Yeah it's sick it's back, must have been recent because I remember searching 8 months ago or so and couldn't find it at all. Learned everything about filming on there. Hopefully it will get the activity it used to. 

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 09:19:46 PM »
Please forgive my semi off-topic long post, but I had never seen Doug's other parts, and he had some cool ones.

This self-filmed junk destruction part is pretty unique:

And while we are at it, I ran into this Bobby and Dave Caddo part I have never seen:

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 12:53:02 PM »
I only knew Doug K as the dude with the worst footage in the original Hustle Skateboards promo. Didn't realize he used to rip. Love that description - white trash Tom Penny haha

Said promo