Author Topic: Kevin Rodrigues interview 2018//SOLO mag  (Read 26056 times)

grassblade

Re: Kevin Rodrigues interview 2018//SOLO mag
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2022, 07:43:14 PM »
2 pages of dickriding

versacekid420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2022, 10:26:18 PM »
2 pages of dickriding
there’s a difference between dickriding and acknowledging a great skater and seemingly great person. Read up on your shit before you talk it. Two pages and you’re the first person to say something negative fuck you. Dick rider

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2022, 11:08:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Sorry if this enormous

[close]

lmao dill is definitely talking about gifted hater when he talks about youtubers
https://instagram.com/stories/giftedhater/2993421013896914577?igshid=NTdlMDg3MTY=

Show yourself GH

nothing's been the since same

dannyprovolone

« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2022, 11:28:31 PM »
Expand Quote
2 pages of dickriding
[close]
there’s a difference between dickriding and acknowledging a great skater and seemingly great person. Read up on your shit before you talk it. Two pages and you’re the first person to say something negative fuck you. Dick rider

damn he got u rigght in the feels

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2022, 12:11:17 AM »
Big Kevin fan but I'd be ashamed reading that.

Article would have been better without half the quotes and adoration.

@silhouette s little paragraph did a better job of conveying what he's about, without sounding as performative.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2022, 05:55:11 AM »
That article reads like an authors collection of post it notes from character research for a romance novel.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed reading it but it was a really long winded excuse from the supreme adjacent cool kids for Kevin’s lack of footage

A fun ad lib game could be to blank out all the Paris references and pretend it’s about terp

wheelchair skitch

• Rep: -19
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2022, 06:18:32 AM »
solo has the fucking corniest text.

"Kevin is so Parisian"

BE LIKE WATER

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2022, 08:57:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
2 pages of dickriding
[close]
[close]

damn he got u rigght in the feels
haha I love krod. Wine was hitting too

lilyung

• Rep: -8
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2022, 10:52:09 AM »
Expand Quote
2 pages of dickriding
[close]

Aha bruh it's never that serious.

Pree sure @grassblade was just joking

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2022, 10:57:14 AM »
solo has the fucking corniest text.

"Kevin is so Parisian"

I think you mean Sneeze Magazine, that part you're quoting isn't from Solo.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 147
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2022, 01:27:08 PM »
Sorry if this enormous

Big thanks to Sanka Coffie for posting that Sneeze piece. I think the reason it's so anecdotal and longwinded is because Kevin Rodrigues doesn't like to give interviews, so his friends are filling that void. I'm pretty sure Ben Chadourne is involved with Sneeze, so it's coming from a very sincere and intimate place. They have to provide a thorough explanation of K-Rod's personality and approach because so many skaters don't seem to understand or respect his introverted approach, his desire to control his output and image while maintaining a comfortable lifestyle. It seems like a lot of people have wanted and/or expected a lot from him for the past 5-7 years. If Hockey is going to give him a pro board and allow him to be himself, then that's to be commended. He's probably my favorite contemporary skater because he isn't flooding the zone, has an immaculate, tasteful and unique style that really stands out. I appreciated all that insight into his whole deal.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2022, 01:41:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Sorry if this enormous
[close]

Big thanks to Sanka Coffie for posting that Sneeze piece. I think the reason it's so anecdotal and longwinded is because Kevin Rodrigues doesn't like to give interviews, so his friends are filling that void. I'm pretty sure Ben Chadourne is involved with Sneeze, so it's coming from a very sincere and intimate place. They have to provide a thorough explanation of K-Rod's personality and approach because so many skaters don't seem to understand or respect his introverted approach, his desire to control his output and image while maintaining a comfortable lifestyle. It seems like a lot of people have wanted and/or expected a lot from him for the past 5-7 years. If Hockey is going to give him a pro board and allow him to be himself, then that's to be commended. He's probably my favorite contemporary skater because he isn't flooding the zone, has an immaculate, tasteful and unique style that really stands out. I appreciated all that insight into his whole deal.
My editor senses also tell me the article was at least partially if not completely translated from French to English. It's a long piece so it's bound to get awkward in places.
unreadable trap logo

No Wave Comply

« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2022, 01:50:12 PM »
My editor senses also tell me the article was at least partially if not completely translated from French to English. It's a long piece so it's bound to get awkward in places.

Great observation. I had that in mind as well, but as far as translations go, it's pretty damn good. Although it was dripping with French ennui and makes him seem full-on EMO. Also, the description of Modern Eon "Child's Play" (one of my many favorite post-punk bands) as a "stoking" song made me kinda giggle. Sounds like something a "super cool" Parisian would say. 

Jagr

• Rep: 119
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2022, 03:30:30 PM »
That article reads like an authors collection of post it notes from character research for a romance novel.

jonbronson

• Rep: -2
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2022, 04:02:01 PM »
I've read here on slapmagazine.com before that he's of Supreme. Anyone know when and why?

veritas

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2022, 04:16:16 PM »
I've read here on slapmagazine.com before that he's of Supreme. Anyone know when and why?

Probably for not working like someone from the 1920s

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2022, 04:18:26 PM »
He
ableSkateMag.com

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2022, 04:33:14 PM »
hes not

niketiburon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2022, 05:20:35 PM »
that interview was like read roberto bolaños's "detectives salvajes"

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2022, 06:34:29 PM »
I think it’s cool that Dill is basically taking care of him while letting him do his thing. Anyone hating on that is just jealous.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

switchfakie

« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2022, 08:37:12 PM »
I think it’s cool that Dill is basically taking care of him while letting him do his thing. Anyone hating on that is just jealous.

i figured hes doing the same with other team members like gino who's parents allowed him to stay at his place and treated him really well while he was a kid

i used to not get it until i got older and realized that i, myself, would give my homies a full salary for free if i had the ability to, so why are these guys any different

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2022, 01:45:29 AM »
That Sneeze article is really bad written or built, but I appreciate Vincent point of view when he says "...many things are asked of him, and they go, 'Fuck, you're blowing it.' And I don't think that's fair. I think it's like, 'No, they're blowing it for what you want from them.'''
Vincent seems like a REALLY smart guy. I'd love an interview from him.
Vincent has that kind of mystery about him like Kevin but he always deliver skateboarding wise and don't seem to get lost that much on personal fears and anxiety like Kevin.

No Wave Comply

« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2022, 01:24:15 PM »
That Sneeze article is really bad written or built, but I appreciate Vincent point of view when he says "...many things are asked of him, and they go, 'Fuck, you're blowing it.' And I don't think that's fair. I think it's like, 'No, they're blowing it for what you want from them.'''
Vincent has that kind of mystery about him like Kevin but he always deliver skateboarding wise and don't seem to get lost that much on personal fears and anxiety like Kevin.

I would be careful about criticizing someone's writing when your own is a mess. Also, it must be kind of embarrassing to be quoted in the article as an example of someone not understanding Kevin's Hockey X clip. Props for not changing your opinion though.

RE: Vincent's mystery and "he always deliver skateboarding wise and don't seem to get lost that much on personal fears and anxiety like Kevin."

Yeah, Vincent Touzery is a great skater (and not some fearful, anxious, ennui-stricken, emo poosey like Kevin Rodrigues, amiright??). I'm sure there's already a thread for him where you can ask for an interview.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 10:32:08 AM by No Wave Comply »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »
I would be careful about criticizing someone's writing when you're own is a mess

Classic.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2022, 05:36:31 PM »
Expand Quote
I would be careful about criticizing someone's writing when you're own is a mess
[close]

Classic.

Damn this made me chortle. Jah bless you SLAP.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2022, 05:50:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Sorry if this enormous

[close]

lmao dill is definitely talking about gifted hater when he talks about youtubers

I'm posting too much today, but I just saw - @Made In China you made Sneeze my dude!

I guess Dill saw that vid about FA that Gifted Hater made. I also figured he was talking about Rad Rat.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2022, 08:28:29 PM »
that interview was like read roberto bolaños's "detectives salvajes"

Holy shit it is 100% like that. I love K-Rod's skating but this is brilliant.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2022, 12:12:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would be careful about criticizing someone's writing when you're own is a mess. Also, it must be kind of embarrassing to be quoted in the article as an example of someone not understanding Kevin's Hockey X clip. Props for not changing your opinion though.

RE: Vincent's mystery and "he always deliver skateboarding wise and don't seem to get lost that much on personal fears and anxiety like Kevin."

Yeah, Vincent Touzery is a great skater (and not some fearful, anxious, ennui-stricken, emo poosey like Kevin Rodrigues, amiright??). I'm sure there's already a thread for him where you can ask for an interview.
You're right about my writing, but there's a difference between writing a comment in a foreign language on a skate forum with your phone while you're commuting... and being paid (?) to write, writing it on your computer, your article being readproof then published on a paper magazine.
About "understanding a trick"... Kevin Rodrigues is not Goya nor Boticelli.
Also why should I be ashamed of being quoted in the article? There's no wrong or right opinion on the matter of this specific trick on this specific spot. More power to you if that trick gives you more pleasure as a viewer than it does for me. I wish it would do the same level of pleasure for me, but it doesn't.
I appreciate his skating but those kind of articles makes it look like he is someone way more special than he is. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be really confortable about that kind of articles about him.
About anxiety and fear or however you want to call it, it's not a criticism per se, it's obvious there's something in his life that prevents him to be "more public" and there's nothing wrong about it, and more power to him if all his sponsors are ok with it. Still living at 30 in the same building where you were born seems to emphasize how much he needs to live in his confort zone (and can afford it) , and again nothing wrong about it. Yet for me those points don't make him or his trick more special as it seems suggested by the article.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 12:27:36 AM by Turtle Boy »

No Wave Comply

« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2022, 11:29:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I would be careful about criticizing someone's writing when you're own is a mess. Also, it must be kind of embarrassing to be quoted in the article as an example of someone not understanding Kevin's Hockey X clip. Props for not changing your opinion though.

[close]
You're right about my writing, but there's a difference between writing a comment in a foreign language on a skate forum with your phone while you're commuting... and being paid (?) to write, writing it on your computer, your article being readproof then published on a paper magazine.
About "understanding a trick"... Kevin Rodrigues is not Goya nor Boticelli.
Also why should I be ashamed of being quoted in the article? There's no wrong or right opinion on the matter of this specific trick on this specific spot. More power to you if that trick gives you more pleasure as a viewer than it does for me. I wish it would do the same level of pleasure for me, but it doesn't.
I appreciate his skating but those kind of articles makes it look like he is someone way more special than he is. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be really confortable about that kind of articles about him.
About anxiety and fear or however you want to call it, it's not a criticism per se, it's obvious there's something in his life that prevents him to be "more public" and there's nothing wrong about it, and more power to him if all his sponsors are ok with it. Still living at 30 in the same building where you were born seems to emphasize how much he needs to live in his confort zone (and can afford it) , and again nothing wrong about it. Yet for me those points don't make him or his trick more special as it seems suggested by the article.

Damn. I walked right into that one. I apologize for seemingly attacking you. I was trying to make it lighthearted, but it came across pretty badly. First, I made a grammatical error in a comment criticizing your writing skills. Now that's pretty dumb. Secondly, I should have realized you weren't commenting in your first language. I'll apologize for being so petty.

Also, I don't think you should be ashamed of being quoted, may just a little embarrassed for being brought up in that manner. As you can see, I'm embarrassed by some of my comments so I'm probably just projecting how I would feel about being quoted. However, I did give you props for being consistent with your opinion. Of course it's fine if you don't like his skating. It's all good.

I see your point about the article seemingly exalting him as a misunderstood, elusive, skateboarding genius and using his anxiety and desire for familiarity and comfort as reasons for putting him on a pedestal. That's why I was being cheeky with my "ennui-stricken, emo" comment. I think it's very funny that one of the most popular French skaters is basically a poster boy for ennui. He wears black and smokes a lot, likes dark music, has darkly "beatiful" tattoos... I was surprised they didn't mention that he likes to write poetry in his downtime.

I fully agree that he's probably not comfortable with this article; I sure he's utterly embarrassed. Then again, seems like he'd be embarrassed by any sort of coverage. However, I really enjoy that he's this tortured character. It really fits with his skating (and Hockey). I do wish he was more generous with his coverage, but I'm glad he sticks to his guns and does his thing.

one-off

• Rep: 109
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2022, 06:53:50 PM »
fusion energy achieved in the hotter than sun plasma of cool guy bullshit in this piece

also 4 hour work week

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 09:29:29 PM by one-off »