Author Topic: Aaron Meza | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 90  (Read 5258 times)

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Aaron Meza | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 90
« on: March 26, 2018, 12:04:56 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Aaron Meza | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 90
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 01:01:36 AM »
Meza's so sick.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:07:37 PM by verylowimpact »

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:47:00 AM »
His videos get a lot of love (and deserve it) but somehow his musical supervision is underrated. Dude nailed the funk/soul vibe at a time when no one else was.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:03:38 AM »
Good interview and the guys editing and videos were great.

I find it funny how 2 people heavily involved with Crailtap and a skate-nerd like Roger, just forgets Colin McKay was on Girl. I'm not sure, but I think he was the first one added who wasn't an original, and he got McCrank on.

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:39:34 AM »
Great eye for detail and great story teller.
Interesting he was really into metal, punk, etc before skating when some of his greatest work revolves around music.

Yu Dum

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 08:00:33 AM »
Is he wearing a Chocolate X Huf sweater? It looks like his left sleeve says “Huf Worldwide” in the Chocolate font.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:02:19 AM »
Is he wearing a Chocolate X Huf sweater? It looks like his left sleeve says “Huf Worldwide” in the Chocolate font.

Yes. Why is that surprising? He obviously left Crail on good terms and is good friends with Huf.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

doublesteveburger

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 08:55:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes. Why is that surprising? He obviously left Crail on good terms and is good friends with Huf.

it was just a question dude don't yell at the poor guy

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 09:00:52 AM »
I think when Crail liquidated, the new owners cut headcount. Mike and Rick probably had no control over the new budget. Hence, support and skate staff had to go. Seems like they had a heads up to find work elsewhere.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 09:04:29 AM »

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 11:17:41 AM »
Meza is a god and even if he already wasn't, he had me at Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 12:06:39 PM »
Super champion funzone is probably tied for my fav vid next to Bon Appetit.

despite having the label as "directed by ty evans" it feels so much more like Meza's work.  i'm giving that one to meza.  it was too clean and simple to be ty, and it felt like the other tour vids Meza did
where is home?

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 12:11:51 PM »
Someone should bet him he can’t eat six saltines in one minute.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »
super good. get johannes gamble on the show. he is a serious mystery.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 06:11:44 PM »
Seems like they cut it short. But he had some good insights into those early street skating years

I always watch those FTC videos on you tube late night

What does he do at vice? Film? Edit?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »
I'm liking the Chico impressions....Chris's...'BEDTIME!' In the last one.....

Dug this one too....but I get how doing one w. Vincent Alverez makes sense too....I think it's a bit boring but if you're under 30...this one would have been mind numbing....

Mr. Fink

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »
I saw the Girl/Chocolate team at a Pretty Sweet Tour signing when I was on vacation in Chicago. Aaron Meza was sitting next to Guy. After talking with Guy, I asked for Meza to sign the board I bought for the signing. He said, “I’m not on the team.” I said “I know. I know who you are.” Guy and Eldridge started laughing and took pictures of him signing my board. It was awesome. Loved the episode btw.

sharkbarf

• Rep: 2
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 10:49:44 PM »
Crailtap really changed after they brought Ty in. Funny to hear that Rick and Mike had a “no pressure” approach to starting Girl and what it eventually became. I’m glad for everything they put out. But really makes you think what could have been if they let Meza run the video department.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 11:08:42 PM »
I can honestly say Penal Code > Mouse for me these days. Never thought I would say that but to me, it just has that overall vibe and thing I enjoy more.

Probably top 5 videos of all time for me.

Then again, I'm one of those old guys he's referring too.

I also agree, If Meza stayed at crailtap, things could totally be different than they are now.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 11:11:55 PM »
Crailtap really changed after they brought Ty in. Funny to hear that Rick and Mike had a “no pressure” approach to starting Girl and what it eventually became. I’m glad for everything they put out. But really makes you think what could have been if they let Meza run the video department.
Pretty sure they hated how Ternasky ran Plan B with all the pressure tatics he used. For example, when they voted a guy down to get on the team, Ternasky said fine, but they had to do all his tricks.

But, it is pretty funny the original approach. I've heard Danny Way say that when they quit those guys didn't want to do demo's or film anymore. I guess they quickly realized that wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure Danny and Colin were originally included in the idea of Girl, alongside Sanchez (which Meza mentioned). I think it is also on record that the only person who took filming for Goldfish serious was Koston.

I wish Meza handled Pretty Sweet. Fully Flared and Yeah Right had some issues, but they were still amazing. Pretty Sweet was messed up, and I'm still convinced someone other than Ty Evans edited MJ's part considering how different the pace and style is. It seems more like a Meza edit.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 03:17:15 AM »
This was great. He can tell a story coherently.

I loved Penal Code, I definitely considered it one of the best videos from those years.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »
When Chris asked Meza about skaters he saw around the city and Embarcadero early on that were ripping, he mentions they thought someone named Lucian was sick, saying they thought he could ride for H-street. I wonder if he's talking about Lucian Moon? Anyone on here know if there were any other Lucians/Luciens around SF at that time? 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:28:42 AM by Budgie Lasek »

shark tits

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »
When Chris asked Meza about skaters he saw around the city and Embarcadero early on that were ripping, he mentions they thought someone named Lucian was sick, saying they thought he could ride for H-street. I wonder if he's talking about Lucian Moon? Anyone on here know if there were any other Lucians/Luciens around SF at that time?
idk but lucian moon would've been young for h-street, no?
i remember he came on the scene like sex machine but he might've already been old. he broke up a fight i was in one time.
penal code>mouse then and now. i always loved that vid and made me nostalgic for sf before i'd ever been. in another context i might've hated all them oldies X ras cass but it worked so well.
bobby puleo staring at the wall 'nah nah nah nah' and 'your name is big brother' w/ the keefes and mcbrides. [how i remember anyways]

Yu Dum

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just never knew that Huf and Chocolate collaborated. Has nothing to do with what he’s done in his career.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »

I have heard the Kelch filming at Embarcadero story before and always assumed that this was it.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
idk but lucian moon would've been young for h-street, no?
i remember he came on the scene like sex machine but he might've already been old. he broke up a fight i was in one time.

Lucian is about the same age as Meza - I'm almost 41 and I know Lucian is at least a year or two older than me. He's being humble and saying he doesn't think it's him, but I have a feeling it is. I skated with Lucian in SF in 97' and he impressed the hell out of me, and he was already a longtime OG at that point. 

csb711

• Rep: 2
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 08:54:14 PM »
I saw the Girl/Chocolate team at a Pretty Sweet Tour signing when I was on vacation in Chicago. Aaron Meza was sitting next to Guy. After talking with Guy, I asked for Meza to sign the board I bought for the signing. He said, “I’m not on the team.” I said “I know. I know who you are.” Guy and Eldridge started laughing and took pictures of him signing my board. It was awesome. Loved the episode btw.

nice. I saw the same tour at the MD/DC stop at Pitcrew, and Guy wasn't there because he was in Germany for the X Games accepting the award for his Real Street part. I had VHS copies of Mouse and Yeah Right, and only wanted the guys who were in the videos to sign the VHS cover, because everyone else could sign the tour poster. I was picking and choosing who to have sign the VHS covers and gave the Mouse one to Jeron, and after he signed it just passed it to his left and gave it to Cory Kennedy, who signed it (bigger than everyone else) before I could intervene. I sarcastically said to him "oh you were in that one?" and without hesitation he replied: "yeah, last part."

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 08:56:23 PM »
Greg Hunt needs an episode. Make it happen roger

Statebird

• Rep: 47
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 06:48:37 AM »
Greg Hunt needs an episode. Make it happen roger

Little Debbie

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 08:10:09 AM »
Greg Hunt would be amazing. best overall filmer besides Fred imo. also Scuba Steve would be sick too.