Author Topic: Vans “Spinning Away” video  (Read 22116 times)

Pretty Serious

Re: Vans “Spinning Away” video
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
Fly pelican fly

DD yelling "WINDMILL FACTORY! (maniacal laugh)" afterward is my favorite part.  Maybe "Spinning Away" is  the joke.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2018, 11:50:45 AM »
Look at that asshole keep his balance while he does something absolutely fucking amazing

streetsoup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2018, 12:12:52 PM »
Kyle Walker rips.
Not everyone can be as cool as Rowan or as stylish as Tyson. He does fucked up shit with less than perfect style, that's ok.

Song did suck though.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »
Don't get the kwalks hate/criticism. He is pretty good and enjoyable to watch at skateboarding. Don't care if he is a douche or not and if he spins his arms while grinding a rail that long.

Rowans nollie tre flip of that tiny bump was insane.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »
Expand Quote
was that 270 back lip to regular NBD? I've never seen it done on a legitimate rail. Also, has Chima been hurt or something? His part in Since Day One was my favorite, but that was 7 years ago and now this banger? What's he been doing?
[close]

Chima had first part in the last vans video like 3 years ago
He's also had a bunch of footage in a shared Real Survelience and in Through and Through.

Chima killed it, that fence ollie was amazing. Kyle Walker usually skates pretty fast and proper, but very few people look good trying to skate the rails he does.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 885
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »
I guess since he wasn't self celebrating anymore people had to find other random reasons to hate on K Walks.

One of my favorite tricks from No Other Way was Chima's sw back tail at bricktown, mostly because he had the backward look knee tuck that reminded me of Matt Bennett. Throwing his clip in of the fakie front board was a great reminder of that.

As much as I like AA I'm sick of seeing the same shit all the time. Caveman nosegrind fingerflip and low popped bs flip into a bank aren't all that noteworthy.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2213
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2018, 12:52:02 PM »
Look at that asshole keep his balance while he does something absolutely fucking amazing
He's such a jerk huh? Still a fan,but flying hands make me laugh.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »
That switch back heel though.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2018, 01:16:00 PM »
I have to say this seems like a lot of complaints about a solid video from Vans, like with all the shit edits that come out edited to way worse music
This has to be one of the top 3 best videos to come out in 2018 that was over 20 minutes

Edit: After watching it a second time through, Chima's part is the most rewatch able, made me want to so badly I'm about to in -7 weather.
Still have no complaints, ill say that Elijah held him arms super solid on rails compared to Kyle but id rather see Kyle change up his shirts compared to his arm movements
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:02:28 PM by expired »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2213
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2018, 01:56:04 PM »
I have to say this seems like a lot of complaints about a solid video from Vans, like with all the shit edits that come out edited to way worse music
This has to be one of the top 3 best videos to come out in 2018 that was over 20 minutes
Can't please them all.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed that the entire way through. Definitely a feel good video worth watching over and over.

Becoming a big fan of Tyson Peterson  :-*

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2018, 03:26:10 PM »
man what a bunch of pussies over here.  no one cares what the FA kids wear, in fact you see the same guys complaining about kyle walker giving ben kadow props for dressing the way he does because he is into punk.  i'm not knocking kadow but it doesn't make him cooler that he has on dickies and his keys on his belt loop.

also lol at the people saying his style sucks.  that fs flip off the concrete structure was amazing.  dude doesn't fit in the al davis / andrew allen slap uniform so he gets shit.

Chima has been amazing for so long.  this part in Let's Live could come out today and it would still be mind boggling.  starts at 27:00
http://youtu.be/XurvpvXNMV0?t=27m15s
where is home?

SOTY

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »
no one cares what the FA kids wear
false

I love Kyle's skating but he's not a "full package" dude for me cause he dresses like shit and seems annoying for some reason. Friendly looking guy though right? I'm still kinda mad Evan Smith didn't get SOTY.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 03:51:34 PM by SOTY »

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »
Expand Quote
I just couldn't get behind Tyson on KOTR but i get it now. He has that 3 flip in a line that legit looks like he didn't even mean to, and that switch flip is so casual.

Berle is a treat to watch.

Gilby is a beast, those spots are so crunchy.

There's some guys that make me realize how good pro's are, like Berle, and Walker. Dolin is the opposite, he is embarrassing. 1 real pro level trick in like, 4 years? How many trips has he gone on? How many edits has he been in where he's just drinking beer and filming on his phone?
[close]
  Well his one trick was 2018 pro level/risk of concussion.  Compared to Geoff's offering which wasn't jack shit. Or allot a dudes like BA's footy or who else?

This is a good point. If DD hadn't been putting out so much footage eating shit, he's just be another pro who's slowed down with age. I think it's cool that he's going against the grain. most dudes start sobering up and focusing on lower impact more thoughtful skating, whereas Dustin's only stepped up the crazy. He's put out enough quality shit over the years to get away with mellowing out, but he still seems pretty happy to risk his life for a clip, even after a few decades of almost non-stop self-destruction. Who else can you say that about?

I am also of the opinion that a gnarley attempt can be more impressive than actually landing something - Ali vs Jaws at Lyon, for example. It's not like Dustin half-asses these attempts either - it's always full commitment. Some of the shit he tries is so suicidal that escaping death/serious injury is like a make in itself. It's almost as if now that he's older and all broken he's not willing to waste any precious bone matter on anything less than suicidal. I dunno. It's hard not to be in awe of his audacity, even if it's unlikely he's ever gonna be able pull it together for another video part. His Propeller section was legit anyway, if short. Even if it was like four years ago now - there's plenty of pros who have been dormant for longer than that. And they haven't blessed us with the slams and anxiety-inducing attempts Dustin has since.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 885
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2018, 05:01:00 PM »
That's a good point, I would watch a Carlos Ruiz comeback part if it was him eating shit for 4 minutes and not landing anything

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »
I'm still kinda mad Evan Smith didn't get SOTY.
Yeah, it basically boils down to this.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
I'm still mad Westgate didn't get soty.

ShredWilliams

« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
man what a bunch of pussies over here.  no one cares what the FA kids wear, in fact you see the same guys complaining about kyle walker giving ben kadow props for dressing the way he does because he is into punk.  i'm not knocking kadow but it doesn't make him cooler that he has on dickies and his keys on his belt loop.

also lol at the people saying his style sucks.  that fs flip off the concrete structure was amazing.  dude doesn't fit in the al davis / andrew allen slap uniform so he gets shit.

Chima has been amazing for so long.  this part in Let's Live could come out today and it would still be mind boggling.  starts at 27:00
http://youtu.be/XurvpvXNMV0?t=27m15s

Yes.

Kyle Walker skates fast as fuck and rips. Who cares what he wears? Chima has been killing it for years with hard tricks at gnarly spots all without a gimmick.

Also, Tyson does really good BS smiths. This video was great.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »
I liked this overall, although I don't think I'll re watch the Tyson/walker parts again. They kill it just not for me, handrails don't get me stoked to skate. The team section and Chimas part were dope though, he's got great style.

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »
I'd be dreaming but it would be sick as fuck to see a wallride over that huge double set at 6:43

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2018, 08:05:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just couldn't get behind Tyson on KOTR but i get it now. He has that 3 flip in a line that legit looks like he didn't even mean to, and that switch flip is so casual.

Berle is a treat to watch.

Gilby is a beast, those spots are so crunchy.

There's some guys that make me realize how good pro's are, like Berle, and Walker. Dolin is the opposite, he is embarrassing. 1 real pro level trick in like, 4 years? How many trips has he gone on? How many edits has he been in where he's just drinking beer and filming on his phone?
[close]
  Well his one trick was 2018 pro level/risk of concussion.  Compared to Geoff's offering which wasn't jack shit. Or allot a dudes like BA's footy or who else?
[close]

This is a good point. If DD hadn't been putting out so much footage eating shit, he's just be another pro who's slowed down with age. I think it's cool that he's going against the grain. most dudes start sobering up and focusing on lower impact more thoughtful skating, whereas Dustin's only stepped up the crazy. He's put out enough quality shit over the years to get away with mellowing out, but he still seems pretty happy to risk his life for a clip, even after a few decades of almost non-stop self-destruction. Who else can you say that about?

I am also of the opinion that a gnarley attempt can be more impressive than actually landing something - Ali vs Jaws at Lyon, for example. It's not like Dustin half-asses these attempts either - it's always full commitment. Some of the shit he tries is so suicidal that escaping death/serious injury is like a make in itself. It's almost as if now that he's older and all broken he's not willing to waste any precious bone matter on anything less than suicidal. I dunno. It's hard not to be in awe of his audacity, even if it's unlikely he's ever gonna be able pull it together for another video part. His Propeller section was legit anyway, if short. Even if it was like four years ago now - there's plenty of pros who have been dormant for longer than that. And they haven't blessed us with the slams and anxiety-inducing attempts Dustin has since.

There's plenty of things you won't remember about this video but Dustin's trick is not one of them. If it has to come down to deserving to still be pro, Dustin did his job.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2018, 08:12:52 PM »
did you guys not see what Tyson Peterson was wearing in his part?
Who? They guy who had a foursome with Neen, Matt Pailes and Where's Wally?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
That Chima part had the most powerful ”go skate after” vibes I’ve felt in years.

Yeah.. the song and the vibe are really something.  Editors, don’t be afraid to tug at our heartstrings a bit if you want us to remember your shit and come back to it.  The more I think about it, a lot of my all time favorite parts have really heartfelt/emotionally powerful songs.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
As much as I like AA I'm sick of seeing the same shit all the time. Caveman nosegrind fingerflip and low popped bs flip into a bank aren't all that noteworthy.

Let the record show that it was a caveman noseblunt on a rail and flip back in, which seems really hard.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2018, 11:02:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Let the record show that it was a caveman noseblunt on a rail and flip back in, which seems really hard.
  Also how are you gonna diss that backsideflip he did with an actual inch of run up? 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

deathturd

• Rep: 88
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2018, 11:31:15 PM »
Of all the UGK songs.. why.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2018, 11:46:58 PM »
i highly doubt anyone criticising that stepped
on a round handrail or even a flatrail with a 50
50 himself ever. stay quiet if you cannot relate.

bawtawd9

« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2018, 11:53:12 PM »
chimas jeans were a little to stonewashed for my taste

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2018, 02:18:33 AM »
That was great... I enjoyed everyones parts... Chima's especially... I think I will have to get a pair of his 2nd shoe so I can learn switch back tail big spins

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2018, 05:03:41 AM »
Expand Quote
did you guys not see what Tyson Peterson was wearing in his part?
[close]
Who? They guy who had a foursome with Neen, Matt Pailes and Where's Wally?

you'd say you would be all over tyson as the ecological footprint of second hand clothing is super small
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:06:20 AM by behavioralguide »