Author Topic: philadelphia  (Read 8225 times)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: philadelphia
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
17th and Market basically, a little south of Love.

There's some lower stuff there that would actually be fun to skate, but yeah they went way overboard with that spot.
I don't think it was ever really a popular spot for rollerbladers even.

thebacker

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »

There's some lower stuff there that would actually be fun to skate, but yeah they went way overboard with that spot.
youre a real 1, i passed by this last week

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2018, 11:19:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Someone popped some of the stoppers off the wavy ledge on the other side of this so it’s skateable again!

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2018, 11:21:57 AM »

To this day I get a kick out of the skatestoppers on this ledge because it’s CHEST HIGH and that curb cut is barely a kicker.
for real, plus the street is all fucked up leading up to it. That thing is a monster

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2018, 12:15:07 PM »
Good to know!

I wanna make a gofundme to unknob the whole thing, fly Tiago to Philly, and see what's the highest part he could switch back tail.

nopes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2018, 05:10:17 PM »
That ishod 50 is so buck wild

didnt other tricks go down on this rail too or am i just senile. i would go past this rail almost every time i was in the city and would always marvel over it.

thebacker

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2018, 05:40:00 PM »
I think someone nose slid it

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2018, 02:12:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Someone popped some of the stoppers off the wavy ledge on the other side of this so it’s skateable again!

This was right by an office I used to work in. I used to stare down at this spot during my lunch breaks.

I think someone nose slid it

Pat Carmody noseslid it in Phat House Told Ya 2
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:13:12 AM by Bristol_Palin »

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2018, 06:21:02 AM »
Anybody else been checking out the variations of this little banked-ledge spot, that are currently going up on Market street?

Just got some photos as I was walking by.

I call frontboard popout on the little low-to-high section.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 07:33:51 AM »
Anybody else been checking out the variations of this little banked-ledge spot, that are currently going up on Market street?

Just got some photos as I was walking by.

I call frontboard popout on the little low-to-high section.

Haha, I just saw that yesterday! Let the countdown begin

themeangreen

• Rep: -75
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »
I live about 2 blocks away in Chinatown and the other night the fence was loose and there were a few homeless dudes were trying to break the fence open. I'm guessing they're gonna put rails on the sidewalk but the little set of steps and a bank would be super fun to skate at night. The post office is still skateable, someone popped some ledges off the side closer to Chestnut street. The ledges at the North West side of 5th and Market are skateable at night, security dude sleeps on his shift almost every night.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2018, 01:08:10 PM »
I live about 2 blocks away in Chinatown and the other night the fence was loose and there were a few homeless dudes were trying to break the fence open. I'm guessing they're gonna put rails on the sidewalk but the little set of steps and a bank would be super fun to skate at night. The post office is still skateable, someone popped some ledges off the side closer to Chestnut street. The ledges at the North West side of 5th and Market are skateable at night, security dude sleeps on his shift almost every night.

I was so happy someone fixed the post office ledges. That was my favorite spot when I moved to Philly but its been unskateable for a long time

SSBS1080CBBSNP

• Rep: 18
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2020, 07:51:28 PM »

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2020, 02:58:09 AM »
Guys, you gotta mention Kerry Getz as well from this era in Philly.

SSBS1080CBBSNP

• Rep: 18
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2020, 07:58:41 PM »
Jump of a Building Getz was good shit. What era are you talking about? I have a lot of nostalgia and appreciation for that city, but Getz isn’t high on the list. Been thinking about this place a lot lately:

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2020, 10:30:49 PM »

my friend is the guy who killed hitchbot and a bunch of people i know have different little pieces of him. it’s one of my proudest philly coincidences

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2020, 02:32:08 AM »
Jump of a Building Getz was good shit. What era are you talking about? I have a lot of nostalgia and appreciation for that city, but Getz isn’t high on the list. Been thinking about this place a lot lately:

The golden era of Love Park/Philly in general, approx 2000-2005?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2020, 10:15:04 AM »
That’s on Temple campus correct? I would just skate the ledges there I never even got down to this pit. Isn’t it just picnic tables?

Also, did I see that the Federal Building is popping off again? The park across the street from there with the white ledges was so much fun to skate and get high at at night. Manuals for days and a three stair and six stair ledge.

It’s at 5:43 mark and I saw Josh land the switch tail slid.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:24:45 AM by GardenSkater77 »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »

Love this shot. I used to walk by here all the time and it didn't click until a few years ago.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2020, 01:04:07 PM »
That’s on Temple campus correct? I would just skate the ledges there I never even got down to this pit. Isn’t it just picnic tables?

Also, did I see that the Federal Building is popping off again? The park across the street from there with the white ledges was so much fun to skate and get high at at night. Manuals for days and a three stair and six stair ledge.

It’s at 5:43 mark and I saw Josh land the switch tail slid.

The federal bldg on 6th and market? Seems like more people are skating there lately, but I’m basing that on how quick I get kicked out of there now vs a couple years ago haha. For sure, Independence mall used to have some fun stuff to skate. There are still a couple of ledges there that are fun but not as much as there used to be

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2020, 09:50:05 AM »
I stayed in a suburb of Philly called Glenside back in 95. At the first spot we hit some red ledges down from Fountain in Love, my friend landed a back foot impossible and J Son instantly took a shine to us and and unlock the key to the trick at the same time. He welcomed us to Love and we never got Jacked, put it this way even the bums were scared of him. he gets a cameo doing a  fakie inward heel over a bin on edge at 0:17. I got to skate a early FDR and several other great spots and I will always hold the Philly scene in high regard with a awesome but edgy vibe. Nuff Love Philly.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:09:32 AM by Pipe Dreamer »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »
I stayed in a suburb of Philly called Glenside back in 95. At the first spot we hit some red ledges down from Fountain in Love, my friend landed a back foot impossible and J Son instantly took a shine to us and and unlock the key to the trick at the same time. He welcomed us to Love and we never got Jacked, put it this way even the bums were scared of him. he gets a cameo doing a  fakie inward heel over a bin on edge at 0:17. I got to skate a early FDR and several other great spots and I will always hold the Philly scene in high regard with a awesome but edgy vibe. Nuff Love Philly.

I remember the name. Don’t think any of Stevie’s homies were overly aggressive if you didn’t show off or get in their way.

Which trick is it? Switch BS heal or Nollie inward heal? I didn’t know there were any cameos in that part—very interesting.

I remember Rahsoul(sp?) being the tough guy in the crew, but I don’t remember him skating.

You remember two dudes named Farrell(sp?) and Hun(sp?)? They were both really good and always there when I went to Love.

I think Love was pretty mellow from 95-2000 cause there really wasn’t that many skaters back then. Not until Photosynthesis and Stevie and Kalis blew it up.

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2020, 11:03:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember the name. Don’t think any of Stevie’s homies were overly aggressive if you didn’t show off or get in their way.

Which trick is it? Switch BS heal or Nollie inward heal? I didn’t know there were any cameos in that part—very interesting.

I remember Rahsoul(sp?) being the tough guy in the crew, but I don’t remember him skating.

You remember two dudes named Farrell(sp?) and Hun(sp?)? They were both really good and always there when I went to Love.

I think Love was pretty mellow from 95-2000 cause there really wasn’t that many skaters back then. Not until Photosynthesis and Stevie and Kalis blew it up.
I think it's a fakie inward and he's wearing a Pervian style beanie he was homies with Rasool and Jon Puca. DGKalis name drops him in his EP. I read in some Jenkem type article it was actually J Son who gets the only cameo in that Chocolate part from Stevie. Every Sunday I skated there I met skaters from all over the East Coast and was indeed pretty busy compared to midweek evening sessions say, it was in July so the nights drew out late. I'm not sure about those names u mentioned bare in mind it was 25 years ago but the DGK for want of a better description were ruling Love and all skated smooth in both stances. I'm sure it must of got way more hectic after 2000, but the scene was defiantly happening simular to South Bank at the time mainly with "Weekend Warriors" making the numbers up ha ha .
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:15:05 AM by Pipe Dreamer »

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2020, 11:12:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There were still a lot of people (but not an overwhelming amount) skating Love between 95-2000 which is why I usually skated City hall, which usually has much fewer people skating (at least when I would go). I didn’t get to skate Love after 2001/2 but when I would skate there before that I kept to myself and was never disrespectful to the guys who skated there all the time, so I never ran into problems.

My favorite spots were City hall, the post office on 9th and Chestnut (especially the y’all ledges on the 9th st side) and the rando spots littered all over the city (like the late night parking lot bump to El/PATCO stop on 7th or 8th and Chestnut, etc...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:15:03 AM by Sundaynuggets »

Shawneeg215

• Rep: 0
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2024, 06:26:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Damian Smith should be mentioned here...
[close]

Fuck yeah, man. Damian was a beast. Literally saw him push from Washington Ave all the way to city hall without putting his foot on the board. Just push, push, push, push. Definitely deserves a spot in Philly history.

Was lucky enough to go to college there in the early 2000s and saw some of the most raw skateboarding around at the time. People talk "core" shit these days. Everything about Philly during that time was as real as it gets. I didn't realize at that time, but I was witnessing an extra special era. Damian Smith, Rich Adler, Jack Sabback....fucking so many dope ass skateboarders there during that time. I actually have a hi-8 tape that has Wennings sb180 into the fountain on it.

Moved to chicago after philly, and while its incredible, it just couldn't touch those vibes from the early 00s in Philly.
Damian just skates dumb fast on everything.  I feel like he definitely got black balled.  I skates with him a decent amount and he definitely had that energy all the time.  Jack  Sabback was around the first couple years I was at Love.  Always impressive,  remember him backside flipping a cone and figured I could at least back 180 it.

Shawneeg215

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2024, 06:30:02 PM »
Expand Quote

To this day I get a kick out of the skatestoppers on this ledge because it’s CHEST HIGH and that curb cut is barely a kicker.
[close]
Two blocks from the clothspin at 15th and market

wait where is this? i feel like ive seen it before but cant put my finger on it

Shawneeg215

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2024, 06:36:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

J-sun is a bit older than Stevie, still down there.  Hung, if your talking about the Chinese bull, moved back to China and started Yeah skate for Life.  I think.