Author Topic: Did anyone ever address why Guy was in Penny's Really Sorry part?  (Read 12628 times)

HisNameIsntWarren

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
Re: Did anyone ever address why Guy was in Penny's Really Sorry part?
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2021, 08:33:03 AM »
Remember when they put Appleyard’s back heel down the Sacto triple set in his Sorry part and then decided to throw in his nollie back heel down the set FROM THE SAME SESH as second to last trick in Really Sorry. What the fuck was that about? Misplaced that footage? Wanted to spread his footy out? Thought the trick was too heavy for Sorry (which makes no sense)? Someone please explain a proper theory cus that was super strange.

Rowley wearing Airwalks in Sorry seems like a stretch. What footage u talking about @Mean salto?

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2021, 09:04:09 AM »
Remember when they put Appleyard’s back heel down the Sacto triple set in his Sorry part and then decided to throw in his nollie back heel down the set FROM THE SAME SESH as second to last trick in Really Sorry. What the fuck was that about? Misplaced that footage? Wanted to spread his footy out? Thought the trick was too heavy for Sorry (which makes no sense)? Someone please explain a proper theory cus that was super strange.

Rowley wearing Airwalks in Sorry seems like a stretch. What footage u talking about @Mean salto?

It's the kink lipslide and possibly the nollie lip handrail. I don't think it's many tricks (I can only watch on my phone so can't really tell for sure) it's when he's wearing cargos before he changed his style to classic vans/jeans.

Also regarding that same sesh different videos I swear i read somewhere they were already working on really sorry before they even finished sorry. They knew they'd have too much footage for one video and didn't want to scrap the older stuff. (Making the penny kickflip 360 into the bank thing even less unlikely) so theyd have known to save the nollie back heel etc.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »
Appleyard also had the nollie back heel down the macba 4 included in his sorry part. So I'd assume they wanted to evenly distribute the nollie back heels; two big nollie back heels in a part is just plain gluttony.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2021, 02:15:47 PM »
I brought up the term 'bonus' myself, so I'll clarify what I meant there too. From my humble perspective as a consumer at the time, IIRC there was no big campaign announcing the filming of a sequel to Sorry or anything that ambitious. The guys definitely just kept filming - it's obvious how the Really Sorry footage is more recent. Then news of the DVD release of Sorry (since that was around the time of the switch from VHS to DVD) came out, and that it would be called Really Sorry and feature new footage. 'Whole' new video as extra content after such a short time span was generally considered mindblowing (the quality and duration were unexpected) and I guess Flip sort of realized what they were sitting on as the release approached, then they rolled with it. If it's a full-length then it's one of the classic type, the kind that just happened and not of the premeditated kind with lots of build up and anticipation as Sorry was. People knew Sorry was coming and were prepared; Really Sorry mostly surprised.

A lot of the marketing around Really Sorry was subsequent to the release of the video IIRC, I remember they had a Really Sorry board series out too (if not more), skated the PJ Ladd one that I probably even saved a piece of somewhere due to liking it that much at the time. Now I wonder if they didn't end up rinsing it a bit though? I'm getting hit by memories of maybe over a whole year where non-Really Sorry branded Flip stuff was hard to come by, and being bummed that the OG Sorry graphics had suddenly become impossible to find (being completely replaced by the Really Sorry ones).

My memory was they had print ads for Really Sorry for most of 2003. Mainly 'VHS' style screen shots of clips that ended up being in the video. Also in THUG, when you had to pick what board company you wanted to ride for after you win Tampa AM, the Flip 'sponsor' video was a trailer for Really Sorry. A lot of people would have seen that and anticipated it. I definitely agree on Sorry graphics and just product in general became pretty hard to come by after the release. I remember wanting the 'peace' graphics you'd see all through out Sorry, but it seems like they went in a completely different direction the day after Sorry. Also feel like they wanted to capitalise on the PJ craze. He was meant to have stuff in Sorry, but was unable to due to being contracted to Element still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdx9dr0BCsM

The Frontside Lipslide down the double set is the oldest trick that made it into the video and that was filmed back in 1997.

Appleyard also had the nollie back heel down the macba 4 included in his sorry part. So I'd assume they wanted to evenly distribute the nollie back heels; two big nollie back heels in a part is just plain gluttony.

Same with the Nollie Flip Noseslide. In Really Sorry he does one down the UC rail which looks like it was filmed the same day or within a few days of the accidental Kickflip Crooks.

thomascandia

« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2021, 06:54:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EneAncYMBBo

Always thought it was interesting that there was a Mariano trick thrown into Tom Penny's Really Sorry part. This was a couple years before Guy's comeback, and not very long after Penny's disappearing act ended.

Was Guy's inclusion a nod to how both these fellas were elusive style legends who everyone wanted to see more of? Never got the impression that Penny and Mariano really hung out or skated with eachother...

CAuse Guy is Penny's favorite skater as he said on a couple interview