Author Topic: Did anyone ever address why Guy was in Penny's Really Sorry part?  (Read 12626 times)

L.S

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Did anyone ever address why Guy was in Penny's Really Sorry part?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2018, 11:45:16 AM »
I remember reading an interview with Penny where he said that Guy was his all time favorite skater.

That and the fact that they both filmed with Danny Minnick during that period is the explination that makes the most sense to me.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2018, 03:54:43 PM »
why did the bible choose geoff > penny?

Vans money ? (wild guess)

Cc: Bastien when it comes to Flip doing somebody dirty by burying their footage, until said footage is no longer as revolutionary as it would have been in its right context regarding the historical progression of technical skateboarding. literally work your ass off to invent cab flip front boards down 10's over a decade ago, only to have your precious five minutes of life-endangering footage, meticulously collected for innovation's sake, swept under the rug for monetary reasons ? if you haven't made a name for yourself - and, as in Bastien's case, bank - already by then, then how the fuck are you supposed to live with that ? furthermore, Bastien and I guess Tom might have been real tough to manage at times but when it all comes down to it, no company, no brand owns skateboarding and its culture ; sitting on someone's clips because they might catch too much attention and sell the wrong shoe is everything but constructive. in order to progress in whatever humble but crucial ways, the world needs to see that stuff, it's a matter of principle. in a way that's why I'm stoked modern outlets such as Instagram are around ; no matter how hard companies may try, being user content-based, they can't really be curated, for better or for worse, but I'd rather focus on the better aspect.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm a big fan of Corey Duffel's "some of my best friends are black" guest tricks.

Also, yo Beta you alright guy? And what other tricks did he do over the chain?
[close]

Yeah I'm ok. Thanks for asking. His did nollie bigspin frontside and backside. Did both fakie too. Then he did frontside 360 flip regular and switch.
[close]
whu? that's insane! ... then again, it was penny in his prime

I too do not buy this. If the conspiracy were just for the nollie/fakie bigspins I might believe it, but Dyrdek wouldn't have been so gung-ho about witnessing a switch backside flip if he'd fs 360 kickflipped it regular and switch.

shark tits

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm a big fan of Corey Duffel's "some of my best friends are black" guest tricks.

[close]

Yeah I'm ok. Thanks for asking. His did nollie bigspin frontside and backside. Did both fakie too. Then he did frontside 360 flip regular and switch.
[close]
[close]

I too do not buy this. If the conspiracy were just for the nollie/fakie bigspins I might believe it, but Dyrdek wouldn't have been so gung-ho about witnessing a switch backside flip if he'd fs 360 kickflipped it regular and switch.
dyrdek's a salesman. if you told him to get psyched about a tiny horse or an obese black man going on a diet he'll say 'how psyched?'
sillhouette, your reminder about bastien's saga makes the conspiracy seem more believable.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2018, 05:55:45 PM »
Has anyone seen the footage of Tom skating the bowl in Amsterdam recently? It came out about five years ago. I think it’s been pulled cause he seemed high and showed his rotting teeth. He looked great just rolling around the bowl with the graffiti and what not. Can someone provide cause I can’t find

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2018, 07:02:02 PM »
Also that Eric Fletcher footage that was held onto and then shown in that shitty “documentary” water marked property of flip skateboards.

The conspiracy continues.....

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2018, 08:13:17 PM »
Expand Quote
I remember reading an interview with Penny where he said that Guy was his all time favorite skater.
[close]

That and the fact that they both filmed with Danny Minnick during that period is the explination that makes the most sense to me.

I just said drugs....and you had to name names....

csb711

• Rep: 2
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »
I've talked about this with numerous people, but probably the one you'de be familiar with is will at cult of Tom

You'de be amazed not on the problems Tom had, moreso the issue the industry had with Tom..

He was the "Michael Jordan of skateboarding". But if you are aware, Tom was the victim of the industry. Tom checked out early, almost overnight. Rightfully so IMO. He was subject to alot of bullshit.

One day it will all come to light.

The basic point was although skatboard media promoted him like a motherfucker, they also were involved in demonizing him.

I was there the day he filmed his infamous "chain to bank".

Was it incredible? Absolutely. But he did way more tricks than video showed.

Flip, transwold and thrasher all put a halt on Pennys footy.

Why?  Not sure. But Tom talks about it personally.

Flips goal was to promote Geoff Rowley. Which is ok because he too took America by storm.

But one day you will hear Rowley talk about this.

are you alluding to some type of documentary or interview that's been discussed (i.e. Epicly Laterd)? if not, Cult of Tom should do one

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2018, 09:02:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I just said drugs....and you had to name names....

Haha. My bad, i guess..
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
Expand Quote
I've talked about this with numerous people, but probably the one you'de be familiar with is will at cult of Tom

You'de be amazed not on the problems Tom had, moreso the issue the industry had with Tom..

He was the "Michael Jordan of skateboarding". But if you are aware, Tom was the victim of the industry. Tom checked out early, almost overnight. Rightfully so IMO. He was subject to alot of bullshit.

One day it will all come to light.

The basic point was although skatboard media promoted him like a motherfucker, they also were involved in demonizing him.

I was there the day he filmed his infamous "chain to bank".

Was it incredible? Absolutely. But he did way more tricks than video showed.

Flip, transwold and thrasher all put a halt on Pennys footy.

Why?  Not sure. But Tom talks about it personally.

Flips goal was to promote Geoff Rowley. Which is ok because he too took America by storm.

But one day you will hear Rowley talk about this.
[close]

are you alluding to some type of documentary or interview that's been discussed (i.e. Epicly Laterd)? if not, Cult of Tom should do one

Cult of Tom should do it. He's only loyal to the footage.  I've talked to his numerous times and he definitely knows what up.

His name is Will and he's here on slap.

This dood lives to get the footy out.
Gentleman ninja warlock

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »
Has anyone seen the footage of Tom skating the bowl in Amsterdam recently? It came out about five years ago. I think it’s been pulled cause he seemed high and showed his rotting teeth. He looked great just rolling around the bowl with the graffiti and what not. Can someone provide cause I can’t find

I can’t find it but me and my friend quote it all the time to this day - him drinking like a monster and showing his teeth and saying “my teeth are fucked as well”
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Ole dirty hamster

• Rep: 1
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2021, 05:24:20 AM »
Hi all. My first post on here so, what's up. Been a reader for a long time.

I figured out the Guy Mariano guest trick in sorry brain scratcher. (The two greats makes sense though)

1. The same clip is used in the BLVD so I knew it came from Danny Minnick.

2. I asked DM on IG on his vault page and he responded that he traded his clip of Guy to Rowley for some clips...that everyone loves Guy footage and that Guy gave it the green light.

So, I guess he was just networking. It was a nice touch imo.

Loved Collage too, the street Rune clips in collage where Rune is wearing a Jersey skating street, Sheffey's trade show footy, and Paulo Dias shouting out, "Stacy! Stacy Peralta!" And does the best line in Hollywood on the walk of fame. No comply shuv 😎

I always found Minnick to be down to earth. He is actually super nice.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2021, 05:40:29 AM »
Rewatched both Really Sorry last night for the first time in probably 10 years. I know this is a "classic video" but after the rewatch i'm kinda sitting here scratching my head as to why it is regarded as classics. Really Sorry seems like they edited all the footage together in a real lazy way. I didnt even realize that Ewan Bowman had taken over for French Fred for the second video so maybe thats the reason why it wasnt quite the same as Sorry
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2021, 05:49:47 AM »
Rewatched both Really Sorry last night for the first time in probably 10 years. I know this is a "classic video" but after the rewatch i'm kinda sitting here scratching my head as to why it is regarded as classics. Really Sorry seems like they edited all the footage together in a real lazy way. I didnt even realize that Ewan Bowman had taken over for French Fred for the second video so maybe thats the reason why it wasnt quite the same as Sorry

Really Sorry is just kind of a victory lap from Sorry!   It came out on DVD paired with Sorry with little hype.   Mark Appleyard was on a tear and needed an outlet for it to be shown.    I enjoy it it in an entirely different way.   Sorry is a meal, this is a snack

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2021, 05:54:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Rewatched Really Sorry last night for the first time in probably 10 years. I know this is a "classic video" but after the rewatch i'm kinda sitting here scratching my head as to why it is regarded as classic. Really Sorry seems like they edited all the footage together in a real lazy way. I didnt even realize that Ewan Bowman had taken over for French Fred for the second video so maybe thats the reason why it wasnt quite the same as Sorry
[close]

Really Sorry is just kind of a victory lap from Sorry!   It came out on DVD paired with Sorry with little hype.   Mark Appleyard was on a tear and needed an outlet for it to be shown.    I enjoy it it in an entirely different way.   Sorry is a meal, this is a snack

ahhhh okay okay that makes more sense. tbh i was just getting into skating when Really Sorry came out so I didnt fully comprehend what I was seeing.
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2021, 07:17:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
there is no way that this happened
[close]

This was done in 1994 quite awhile before that session, so it’s entirely possible.

https://instagram.com/p/BKb7Cw8Aw6_/

Sure... but doing that trick off a bump over a skatepark pyramid and doing it over a chain into a steep ass bank are totally different IMO. The latter being way harder. His skill was undeniable, but color me very skeptical.

Scrotal_Recall

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2021, 07:54:58 AM »
Theres a genuine potency to this thread.
I know for a fact that all the yanks were giving him a real hard time
at the Radlands comp. They just could not handle his nonchalance
and raw talent combined. This is common knowledge. Koston, Howard etc.

I cant imagine that got easier once he moved to the states.
In a tribal as fuck industry where everyone huddles for warmth
like hamsters.

People talk about Tom like hes dead even though he is still out there, skating better
than nearly everyone his age. And he never made a sound. As much as I would love to hear him candidly talk
about his experience growing up in the industry, I don't know how that would
improve his legacy - he didnt need hype, he always let his skating do the talking.

I think he is under rated both as a skater and a human being.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2021, 08:12:15 AM »
Rowley and Arto vert section would have been so cool.

Back to the original topic, I spent the last couple hours re-watching Guy's Epicly Later'd and Life On Video episodes, because I thought for sure the Sorry fakie bigflip got referenced in one, but I think I was conflating his Yeah Right! big flip (which did get a mention) and a fakie bigflip he did over a table when he first got sober.

You can see a brief shot of the sequence of the table trick, while a Bright Eyes song off of Digital Ash plays, at 3:50 in here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQq2Ug91XQ

Love they used that Bright Eyes song in that video. Conor has more connections to the skate world than you would think.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 25
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2021, 09:51:20 AM »
I still don't buy the story of these extra chain bank tricks. I would be extaticly happy to be proved wrong though.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2021, 11:02:36 AM »
I realize this is like a 3 year old thread and those guys saying "Penny is over rated!" are probably trolling... but I can actually give you a very solid reason why Tom is actually one of the most influential skaters of all time.

He basically invented proper kickflips and fs flips.

Show me a clip of someone doing a nice kickflip before penny. go back and watch any of those plan B videos, H Street, etc. its all Mob. Tom was the first one to abandon the Bicycle Techinque and catch them proper with the flick straight out. Steve Olson and Reynolds were the next 2 to have nice kickflips. heath had them as well. For example just look at markovich's kickflip down carlsbad. it was pretty rocket. or jeremy wray blasting some of those huge ones out of curb cuts. they had the right idea but they were really rocket. Penny was the one to point them down and style them out.

If you go back and watch that menikmati dvd extras you can kind of see toms evolution of skating and even in the beginning his kickflips were not that nice. it took awhile before his started looking like that. his fs flips were super tic tacky at first too but at some point around 93-94 id say he just started to nail that shit and you can see in the Etnies High 5 part his stuff looks really nice and thats a big reason people always referenced that part. also those contest clips where hes super chill and fs flips that pyramid i tihnk thats around the time he really blew up
ONTARIO CANADA

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »
What is the date that Tom Penny invented the proper kickflip and what video or magazine documented it and showed it to other skaters to emulate?
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Global Moderator

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2021, 11:59:50 AM »
penny is probably the most overrated skater of all time.

he's done some cool stuff especially when he first came out and had that bowl cut but that's about it.

I understand this take. Penny up until the Flip industry section was okay, lots of great flip tricks but not the best style. Then around the Flip Industry section or Radlands 94, he developed that sleepy style, where his flip tricks and other tricks just looked perfect. That’s when he elevated to legend status. He was untouchable for a few years and produced some of the greatest skateboard footage/photos of all time.

And then he disappeared. When he came back, he was a shell of his former self and his bad style came back. You had to live through those peak years to be on board with his legend status, but in reality, it was like 3 years of killing it and then that’s it.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2021, 12:42:26 PM »
I realize this is like a 3 year old thread and those guys saying "Penny is over rated!" are probably trolling... but I can actually give you a very solid reason why Tom is actually one of the most influential skaters of all time.

Show me a clip of someone doing a nice kickflip before penny. go back and watch any of those plan B videos, H Street, etc. its all Mob. Tom was the first one to abandon the Bicycle Techinque and catch them proper with the flick straight out. Steve Olson and Reynolds were the next 2 to have nice kickflips. heath had them as well. For example just look at markovich's kickflip down carlsbad. it was pretty rocket. or jeremy wray blasting some of those huge ones out of curb cuts. they had the right idea but they were really rocket. Penny was the one to point them down and style them out.

If you go back and watch that menikmati dvd extras you can kind of see toms evolution of skating and even in the beginning his kickflips were not that nice. it took awhile before his started looking like that. his fs flips were super tic tacky at first too but at some point around 93-94 id say he just started to nail that shit and you can see in the Etnies High 5 part his stuff looks really nice and thats a big reason people always referenced that part. also those contest clips where hes super chill and fs flips that pyramid i tihnk thats around the time he really blew up

steve robert has a nice caught one down a ledge in rubbish heap
jed walters ender in love child
mike daher over a table in a visual sound
mc has a great fs flip over a bench in his first line in goldfish

i’m sure there are plenty of other examples, just listed some off the top, i love penny but you’re reaching
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 211
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2021, 01:53:25 PM »
All I know is that when Penny hit the scene it was like nothing before. I’m 43 and have been skating since 9yo. Ban This blew my mind, then H-Street vids with Hensley doing180 kickflip melons, Video Days again changed everything as so on. But I’ll never forget the first time I saw High Five. Penny turned skateboarding on it head and had an impact on us stronger than anything that had ever happened before it. Instantly we all tried to change our kickflips. And our skating/gear in general. And for years it got better and BETTER till he was ghost. In that time any footage he had was mind blowing (the massive kickflip landing on the skinny step in Big Brother(?). Everything. Plus the Radlands coke rumour ha! The Columbia boots..

I bet the old guard we pissed. And rightfully so.

I’ll just leave this picture below. IYKYK.

One of my biggest wishes in skating was that he aged like Reynolds or Guy or AVE but shit happens. Penny will always be the best.

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i’m sure there are plenty of other examples, just listed some off the top, i love penny but you’re reaching

you reckon jeremy's ender in the color video is rocket ?

serious ?

Ole dirty hamster

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2021, 03:30:17 PM »
I know most of you, if not all already know this, but it's always worth pointing out that the whole "venus in furs" part in the original sorry video was TP and not Arto Saari. I got in the longest YouTube arhument w/ someone who would just not accept that it wasn't Arto.

I feel like that Europe 95 411 is truly the moment where people realized how awesome his skating was. And even though he didn't win it in 96, he stole the show in the 411 Europe 96 video.

As far as a sw tre down that bank...well if you watch Danny Minnick's Genie of the Lamp TP part, Tom is skating in a "roller skating rink" turned skatepark, does a noseblunt down a box set up on another box, lands fakie and then does the best sw tre i've seen to this day. I would totally love if there was even one more trick from that day...who knows. Skin did say he is sitting on some TP footage in his 9 club that wouldnt be released for the internet, but for something better. There's an IG comment from French Fred or Theo Hand where they say they still have more too.

On that cult of tom page, donny barley wrote a commenr about how Tom would sit around the house and figure out tricks, then if you watch that footage of tom that came out recently where hes wearing timbs and a scarf and a black jacket and he is at that hubba he sw nose slides in paris, he is clearly visualizing it, he even sits down and slides down it...pretty cool. Even if theres just behind the scenes footy left, its still really interesting.

Remember, back then 6 months felt like 2 years, so when Tom resurfaced skateboarding had changed. He had already left by "fulfill the dream", zero and jamie thomas sent skateboarding into hammer time, and the d3 was going strong; kasperholics, muskateers, 411 may have even changed formats by then...then returns Penny. He dressed way differently. But I loved it...because it's him...and he had fought his battles and won.

Not to get too nerdy, but he really is like a wizard...he fought the balrog of his own demons and came back the white wizars...hey, i guess we need heroes...but then again, a lot of the rumors of things he did during his hiatus in timbs and other ppls boards have been corraborated...like the ollie down that huge "jaws like" stair set that someone shot on a disposable camera only, yet it exists!

Btw, I think it was the skateboard mag where Tony Hawk is doing doubles on the cover where Penny has a great interview. It really hits on his wizard like persona. It's a classic.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2021, 03:41:37 PM »
Everyone should read Penny's Big Brother interview from back in the day. They republished it in their tenth anniversary issue I believe.

I might've mentioned this on Slap before, but I vividly remember being sixteen years old and reading it in the drugstore magazine aisle, with tears of laughter streaming down my face.

Ole dirty hamster

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2021, 04:05:42 PM »
Someone should post that pic of him holding up the huge...eh, penny.

Btw, as far popping kfs...Sami Harithi was an influence on Tom and he had some great style.

The kickflip definitely went through an evolution...a perfect example of a 94 kf is Kris Markovich's Carlsbad kf.

It was def part of an arc where it evolved from the kick straight down then to side gonz version all the way to penny's. I feel like that real early way is still kind of cool to watch. Spike talks about it in his 9 club.

I'd say TP kind of derailed Markovich and J Wray, but it was all just part of the natural progression of skateboarding where things got more refined...it really was an awesome time.  And don't get me wrong, jeremy wray and markovich are awesome, Penny just took it one step further, and then it seemed like he sailed off into the sunset before the espn commercialization of skateboarding when kids who just started skating would ask seasoned skaters if they could do an "ollie north".

If 95 Penny isn't your favorite...haha. who said that, Brink?

Ole dirty hamster

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2021, 04:35:11 PM »
Oh 1 more thing. I was thinking about this the other day. Tom is the only skater I can think of that's A-level at every discipline of skateboarding:

1. Flat ground
2. Manny pads
3. Ledges
4. Skateparks
5. Stairs
6. Gaps
7. Handrails
8. Mini ramps
9. Bowls
10. Vert

Maybe guy and carroll too, but it's hard to be pro level at any skateboard discipline (for lack of a better description)

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2021, 04:42:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

you reckon jeremy's ender in the color video is rocket ?

serious ?

Jeremy's kickflip is properly flicked, level and caught. Don't listen to Rawbertson - dude doesn't even know frontside from backside.