Author Topic: Did anyone ever address why Guy was in Penny's Really Sorry part?  (Read 12631 times)

GOKU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EneAncYMBBo

Always thought it was interesting that there was a Mariano trick thrown into Tom Penny's Really Sorry part. This was a couple years before Guy's comeback, and not very long after Penny's disappearing act ended.

Was Guy's inclusion a nod to how both these fellas were elusive style legends who everyone wanted to see more of? Never got the impression that Penny and Mariano really hung out or skated with eachother...

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
Re: Did anyone ever address why Guy was in Penny's Really Sorry part?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 09:25:30 AM »
its all a conspiracy
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:36:27 AM »
It was a little teaser that said "yes I'm back and yes I will be doing ugly tricks."
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »
Better question is why Jamie Thomas is in "Friends" section in DTL? Jamie of Zero?

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
penny is probably the most overrated skater of all time.

he's done some cool stuff especially when he first came out and had that bowl cut but that's about it.

Lavar On the Couch

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 12:55:37 PM »

he's done some cool stuff especially when he first came out and had that bowl cut but that's about it.
Are you the Skip Bayless of Slap?
Crazy right?

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »
Also, where is Dill’s guest trick in Sorry?

billyerlife

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »
Is that Mariano doing the fakie bigspin flip over the trash can? It was the only dude who didn't look like Penny in that, but in fairness I kind of forgot to look because Tom Penny is amazing.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 01:51:20 PM »

I believe he has a back smith on a ledge over some stairs in Arto's part.

jomeara1

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 03:26:23 PM »

I like watching Penny skate a mini ramp, but I don’t go nuts over him like some people do when they see him do a flat ground kick flip and then push for 5 minutes and call it a “line”

doublesteveburger

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 03:47:01 PM »
he may have the mental capacity that of a bag of stale California raisins but you're out of your god damn mind if you don't count penny for anything less than legendary

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »
This is one of my favorite parts of all time, so I feel seriously embarrassed that I never noticed that was Guy.  I just thought Tom had a weird phase and shaved his head hahahahah.  It is so obviously Guy though.

I prefer the Alex Moul nollie varial flip.  Also, the nollie FS bigspin down that big 3 is the best nollie FS bigspin ever done and I learned how to pop that trick well because of that clip.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, I wondered the same thing for years. Asked Slap awhile ago and got the same answer. Didn't seem like a Dill trick at all. Years ago I read a Clyde Singleton review of Sorry in Big Brother and he wrote "Was that Dill in there too?" so of course when I read that I tried to find the clip to no avail.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 05:35:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks dude. I thought this was it, but wasn't sure.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »

You're so fucking stupid it makes me sick.  Have some respect you little shit!

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
did anyone ever address what happened to that little girl penny kicked? also reported.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 06:12:35 PM »
did anyone ever address what happened to that little girl penny kicked? also reported.

Minutes later, she curled up and died.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 08:22:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like watching Penny skate a mini ramp, but I don’t go nuts over him like some people do when they see him do a flat ground kick flip and then push for 5 minutes and call it a “line”

Well this is the type of line that gave him his status

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXM8V2pKL0w

SOTY

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 08:40:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Minutes later, she curled up and died.
At least she died doing what she loved.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 08:47:28 PM »
  Yah the really sorry was a look at Penny after the magic left.   Now all these years later I can watch all this era of Penny and enjoy it but it was like a shot to the heart for Penny people like me back when it came out.  It was all over.   He's the best street skater of all time who could hang with Hosoi and Chris Miller in the bowl. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »
  Yah the really sorry was a look at Penny after the magic left.   Now all these years later I can watch all this era of Penny and enjoy it but it was like a shot to the heart for Penny people like me back when it came out.  It was all over.   He's the best street skater of all time who could hang with Hosoi and Chris Miller in the bowl.

Not even Really Sorry either, just straight-up Sorry a lot of magic was already gone. Some messed up personal shit musta happened to him during his seclusion, it's been alluded to before in interviews with people. Plus there's the injury he got jumping between those two rocks in Sorry, the footage doesn't make it look that terrible but it was also mentioned by people in interviews as something that fucked Penny up a bit. Still love him forever tho!

doublesteveburger

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 09:34:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not even Really Sorry either, just straight-up Sorry a lot of magic was already gone. Some messed up personal shit musta happened to him during his seclusion, it's been alluded to before in interviews with people. Plus there's the injury he got jumping between those two rocks in Sorry, the footage doesn't make it look that terrible but it was also mentioned by people in interviews as something that fucked Penny up a bit. Still love him forever tho!

This is definitely news to me. I've never seen anything in print or media about this happening. Care to elaborate a bit more?

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 09:44:20 PM »
"At six a.m., near Salvador Dali’s house in Cadaques, Spain, Tom severely injured his ankle while jumping a chasm between two rocks. The footage was used at the beginning of his part. He was on his way to Barcelona to film for eS’ Menikmati, with Eric Koston and Rick McCrank. Since he was unable to film a full part it was decided, by both the people at eS and Flip, that Tom’s part in Menikmati would be recycled footage and they would save whatever new footage he had for Sorry."
https://www.adventuresportsnetwork.com/sport/skateboarding/15thingssorry/
This originally ran in Skateboarder, there's a bunch of interesting things in there.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 09:57:00 PM »
"At six a.m., near Salvador Dali’s house in Cadaques, Spain, Tom severely injured his ankle while jumping a chasm between two rocks. The footage was used at the beginning of his part. He was on his way to Barcelona to film for eS’ Menikmati, with Eric Koston and Rick McCrank. Since he was unable to film a full part it was decided, by both the people at eS and Flip, that Tom’s part in Menikmati would be recycled footage and they would save whatever new footage he had for Sorry."
https://www.adventuresportsnetwork.com/sport/skateboarding/15thingssorry/
This originally ran in Skateboarder, there's a bunch of interesting things in there.

Thanks for tracking down the info! For some reason the Salvador Dali factoid remained in my head, but not really anything else...

doublesteveburger

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 10:01:19 PM »
Nuts, I never knew that. This also makes me miss Skateboarder that much more.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 10:34:10 PM »
Rowley and Arto vert section would have been so cool.

Back to the original topic, I spent the last couple hours re-watching Guy's Epicly Later'd and Life On Video episodes, because I thought for sure the Sorry fakie bigflip got referenced in one, but I think I was conflating his Yeah Right! big flip (which did get a mention) and a fakie bigflip he did over a table when he first got sober.

You can see a brief shot of the sequence of the table trick, while a Bright Eyes song off of Digital Ash plays, at 3:50 in here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQq2Ug91XQ

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 10:37:30 PM »
Nuts, I never knew that. This also makes me miss Skateboarder that much more.

Skateboarder had a lot of cool ideas for articles. The Video Days reunion they put together not long before the magazine RIPd was aces, there's some videos of it remaining online but I think a couple are no longer anywhere to be found. And those classic "15 things you never knew about ______" were great. Aaron Meza was/is a great writer.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for that I got my flip vids mixed up there.  Whenever his first flip part came out.  We were all waiting after getting teased with that 360 hippy jump.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 10:43:25 PM »
I've talked about this with numerous people, but probably the one you'de be familiar with is will at cult of Tom

You'de be amazed not on the problems Tom had, moreso the issue the industry had with Tom..

He was the "Michael Jordan of skateboarding". But if you are aware, Tom was the victim of the industry. Tom checked out early, almost overnight. Rightfully so IMO. He was subject to alot of bullshit.

One day it will all come to light.

The basic point was although skatboard media promoted him like a motherfucker, they also were involved in demonizing him.

I was there the day he filmed his infamous "chain to bank".

Was it incredible? Absolutely. But he did way more tricks than video showed.

Flip, transwold and thrasher all put a halt on Pennys footy.

Why?  Not sure. But Tom talks about it personally.

Flips goal was to promote Geoff Rowley. Which is ok because he too took America by storm.

But one day you will hear Rowley talk about this.

Gentleman ninja warlock

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 10:54:05 PM »
It has to be one of the more random guest trick. I think it has been explained somewhere, but I've always been confused about Reynolds having a guest trick in Chico's Skate More part.