Author Topic: Did anyone ever address why Guy was in Penny's Really Sorry part?  (Read 12625 times)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: Did anyone ever address why Guy was in Penny's Really Sorry part?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2018, 10:59:39 PM »
I'm a big fan of Corey Duffel's "some of my best friends are black" guest tricks.

Also, yo Beta you alright guy? And what other tricks did he do over the chain?

GOKU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
  Yah the really sorry was a look at Penny after the magic left.   Now all these years later I can watch all this era of Penny and enjoy it but it was like a shot to the heart for Penny people like me back when it came out.  It was all over.   He's the best street skater of all time who could hang with Hosoi and Chris Miller in the bowl.
[close]

Not even Really Sorry either, just straight-up Sorry a lot of magic was already gone. Some messed up personal shit musta happened to him during his seclusion, it's been alluded to before in interviews with people. Plus there's the injury he got jumping between those two rocks in Sorry, the footage doesn't make it look that terrible but it was also mentioned by people in interviews as something that fucked Penny up a bit. Still love him forever tho!
[close]
   Thanks for that I got my flip vids mixed up there.  Whenever his first flip part came out.  We were all waiting after getting teased with that 360 hippy jump.

Let alone the best nollie hardflip ever done. Fuggin' Videoradio, who woulda thought that one of the best Penny tricks ever would be in a Transworld x Circa tour video? Haha

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2018, 11:16:46 PM »
I'm a big fan of Corey Duffel's "some of my best friends are black" guest tricks.

Yeah I'm ok. Thanks for asking. His did nollie bigspin frontside and backside. Did both fakie too. Then he did frontside 360 flip regular and switch.
Gentleman ninja warlock

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2018, 12:26:42 AM »
Expand Quote
  Yah the really sorry was a look at Penny after the magic left.   Now all these years later I can watch all this era of Penny and enjoy it but it was like a shot to the heart for Penny people like me back when it came out.  It was all over.   He's the best street skater of all time who could hang with Hosoi and Chris Miller in the bowl.
[close]

Not even Really Sorry either, just straight-up Sorry a lot of magic was already gone. Some messed up personal shit musta happened to him during his seclusion, it's been alluded to before in interviews with people. Plus there's the injury he got jumping between those two rocks in Sorry, the footage doesn't make it look that terrible but it was also mentioned by people in interviews as something that fucked Penny up a bit. Still love him forever tho!
these two and others said what i meant but better. the flip 411 part w his switch flip over the rail and everything else, the chain/bank stuff and a few other things were amazing but his career was over as fast as it started. he also had the cheech & chong and mushroom graphics that never went away that helped the legend keep going.

very psyched on the conspiracy theory angle that's emerged as well as some of the other stuff that explains it.

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 02:02:49 AM »
did anyone ever address what happened to that little girl penny kicked? also reported.

Well that was in Switzerland so she probably apologized off camera and still feels guilty about the whole thing 15 years later.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2018, 03:14:36 AM »
I remember reading an interview with Penny where he said that Guy was his all time favorite skater.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2018, 07:47:41 AM »
I remember reading an interview with Penny where he said that Guy was his all time favorite skater.

And Quim.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2018, 08:11:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I'm ok. Thanks for asking. His did nollie bigspin frontside and backside. Did both fakie too. Then he did frontside 360 flip regular and switch.

While the tape was still rolling?
If so, that footage needs to see the light of day ASAP.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 08:13:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
   Thanks for that I got my flip vids mixed up there.  Whenever his first flip part came out.  We were all waiting after getting teased with that 360 hippy jump.
[close]

Let alone the best nollie hardflip ever done. Fuggin' Videoradio, who woulda thought that one of the best Penny tricks ever would be in a Transworld x Circa tour video? Haha

In adidas shelltoes while riding for eS, nonetheless!

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yes, I think it was Tobin filming. It will come to light one day. Same with a bunch of random fuck around footy that was unreal to watch first hand
Gentleman ninja warlock

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 11:25:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Despite sponsoring a couple people like Gonz and Richard Angelides, nobody considered adidas to be a real skate shor company at the time, and shell toes weren’t part of their skate program, so it wasn’t the kind of conflict of interest it would appear to be today. It was like skating in timberlands or basketball shoes or some other chiller shoes that weren’t really for skating.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Despite sponsoring a couple people like Gonz and Richard Angelides, nobody considered adidas to be a real skate shor company at the time, and shell toes weren’t part of their skate program, so it wasn’t the kind of conflict of interest it would appear to be today. It was like skating in timberlands or basketball shoes or some other chiller shoes that weren’t really for skating.

Shelltoes were used to skate waaaay before this

Richard angelides, Mike McGrath, Drake Jones and a shit tonne of others.

The shelltoes is not only stylish, it's highly functionable
Gentleman ninja warlock

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, I think it was Tobin filming. It will come to light one day. Same with a bunch of random fuck around footy that was unreal to watch first hand

For the record, Tobin is not listed in the credits of Uno as a filmer, unless this conspiracy runs real deep.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I know you were put on this earth solely to be contrarian on SLAP, but your point is completely moot. That was his first clip in a major video in years and he wasn’t even wearing his sponsors shoes. Pretty funny, especially since that’s not the first time he did it! He ripped the greatest switch flip on flat  known to human kind wearing DC clockers in eS - menikmati. Legendary.

sms_b

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2018, 12:28:37 PM »
I witnessed Penny skate a few times during his first North American rampage. I've seen a lot of people do a lot of incredible shit on a skateboard. Penny is the only person I have ever witnessed do incredible shit, first try mind you, on other people's boards. It takes a special kind of skill to be able to pick up a random board and do the hardest shit imaginable. 

shark tits

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For the record, Tobin is not listed in the credits of Uno as a filmer, unless this conspiracy runs real deep.
tobin was a thrasher/dlx photographer. uno was a tws video. never the twain shall meet.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Shelltoes were used to skate waaaay before this

Richard angelides, Mike McGrath, Drake Jones and a shit tonne of others.

The shelltoes is not only stylish, it's highly functionable
  Quim was on, Lance at the same time and Jamal same time I think too.  They came correct and people knew about it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 05:58:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

whu? that's insane! ... then again, it was penny in his prime

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
I witnessed Penny skate a few times during his first North American rampage. I've seen a lot of people do a lot of incredible shit on a skateboard. Penny is the only person I have ever witnessed do incredible shit, first try mind you, on other people's boards. It takes a special kind of skill to be able to pick up a random board and do the hardest shit imaginable.

I think this is kinda the heart of the Penny thing.  People who were there during his prime day he’s among the best ever, even compared to everyone who came after in the subsequent quarter century.  It also adds to the mystique that it seems like he wasn’t particularly concerned with filming, and you had to be there to really grasp how incredible he was.

It seems pretty clear that he had a rough few years after disappearing, and I’ve always looked at post-Sorry Penny footage as a sort of bonus.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
tobin was a thrasher/dlx photographer. uno was a tws video. never the twain shall meet.

Nah, Tobin was there. Unless I'm mistaking him for someone else.

Anyone that's skated with Tom or been present when he did tricks knows what I'm talking about.

Surreal. Sometimes only one filmer, sometimes 20 fucking people. You'de be so stoked to see it first hand, then it would never appear in any video or mag.

The legend of Tom penny is not heresay. People witnessed this shit.

One day it will appear I hope
Gentleman ninja warlock

clicketyclack

• Rep: -5
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2018, 09:41:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Anyone that's skated with Tom or been present when he did tricks knows what I'm talking about.

Surreal. Sometimes only one filmer, sometimes 20 fucking people. You'de be so stoked to see it first hand, then it would never appear in any video or mag.

Skin Phillips filmed it. He talks about it on the nine club. Not that I want to poo-poo the possibility of more footage, but if there were more, I think he would've mentioned it.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2018, 10:52:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
there is no way that this happened
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Skin Phillips filmed it. He talks about it on the nine club. Not that I want to poo-poo the possibility of more footage, but if there were more, I think he would've mentioned it.

He was there too that's obvious. But what you don't see is the 25-30 others there as well

Alot of the power players of the industry we're there.

Some of the footy is buried. It's will resuface eventually.

Thrasher(and those involved) always buried Tom footy and presented goeff Rowley.

Gentleman ninja warlock

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »
I assumed it was drugs...that's the connection....

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2018, 07:06:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
there is no way that this happened

This was done in 1994 quite awhile before that session, so it’s entirely possible.

https://instagram.com/p/BKb7Cw8Aw6_/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:09:22 AM by Dark Knight »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2018, 07:16:12 AM »
^ what do you say about that clip?  Can a penny disparager please post one of their comments beside that clip so I can understand why hes not that good anyway.

shark tits

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2018, 07:28:45 AM »
thrasher did kind of dog him out in captions 'tom smokes so much the outside world doesn't matter. nobody cared that tom did this sw bs lipslide. neither did tom.'
or 'asides all the chemicals, tom penny is a real ripper'.
we all had the idea he was a junk bomb but it might've just been weed, a little mushrooms? who knows?
can you imagine 'take away the meth and ethan fowler has a real nice bsts'.
i believe the conspiracy now.
and whoever didn't believe he did both fs 360 flips, the proof is in the pudding. that regular one ^ is the rarer of the 2. he's all the time doing the switch one.
why did the bible choose geoff > penny?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »
thrasher did kind of dog him out in captions 'tom smokes so much the outside world doesn't matter. nobody cared that tom did this sw bs lipslide. neither did tom.'
or 'asides all the chemicals, tom penny is a real ripper'.
we all had the idea he was a junk bomb but it might've just been weed, a little mushrooms? who knows?
can you imagine 'take away the meth and ethan fowler has a real nice bsts'.
i believe the conspiracy now.
and whoever didn't believe he did both fs 360 flips, the proof is in the pudding. that regular one ^ is the rarer of the 2. he's all the time doing the switch one.
why did the bible choose geoff > penny?
  Is that thrasher quote ver betum?  I don't remember it exactly going like that.
    I heard it was heroin.

shark tits

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2018, 07:37:30 AM »
verbatim from memory of a caption that ran in prolly 94.
so yeah, i think i got it right.
i thought heroin then too [and maybe it was] but who knows? mushroom board says otherwise.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2018, 09:20:05 AM »
It has to be one of the more random guest trick. I think it has been explained somewhere, but I've always been confused about Reynolds having a guest trick in Chico's Skate More part.

Was gonna say the same thing. I think it has something to do with Chico liking Reynolds varial heels and when they asked if we wanted a guest trick he said get Reynolds or something. It’s definitely been explained but it was a puzzler back when that video came out.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.