Author Topic: Did anyone ever address why Guy was in Penny's Really Sorry part?  (Read 12624 times)

HORSES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
Re: Did anyone ever address why Guy was in Penny's Really Sorry part?
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2021, 05:12:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Rewatched Really Sorry last night for the first time in probably 10 years. I know this is a "classic video" but after the rewatch i'm kinda sitting here scratching my head as to why it is regarded as classic. Really Sorry seems like they edited all the footage together in a real lazy way. I didnt even realize that Ewan Bowman had taken over for French Fred for the second video so maybe thats the reason why it wasnt quite the same as Sorry
[close]

Really Sorry is just kind of a victory lap from Sorry!   It came out on DVD paired with Sorry with little hype.   Mark Appleyard was on a tear and needed an outlet for it to be shown.    I enjoy it it in an entirely different way.   Sorry is a meal, this is a snack
[close]

ahhhh okay okay that makes more sense. tbh i was just getting into skating when Really Sorry came out so I didnt fully comprehend what I was seeing.

It's a weird one for sure. No intro, nothing between the parts, video didn't really have cohesiveness to it. The weird Mark Appleyard freeze frame after his first song.

LittleJerrySeinfeld

• Rep: -16
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2021, 08:33:03 PM »
Theres no fucking way he frontside 360 flipped over that chain and into that bank , regular or switch stance . He's the king but until i ever see the footage of that claim i cannot believe it no matter how much i love Tom Penny, and i do love Tom Penny  . I'm thinking you don't know what trick you're talking about here . Like he did something else and you seem to think its a frontside 360 flip ? Anyways you're lucky to have been on that session . I walked by Tom one day in BCN close to MACBA and couldn't believe what was walking towards me . Later that nite i got to smoke weed and drink a few pops at MACBA with em . It was incredible .

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2021, 09:24:24 PM »
Normally I wouldn't feel comfortable telling someone who claims to have actually been on a session that they're full of it, but something is giving me "embellishment" vibes from this story. People idolized Tom by the time the chain bank footage came out, he went from other pros talking shit on him out of jealousy at Radlands to being everyone's favorite. I have a really hard time believing he did even harder tricks and they straight up just didn't use them, yet put everything else in, including the warm up tricks. If they were filmed they would have surely been shared by now, all these years later. I'm also a huge fan of OG Penny and he was obviously capable of amazing things without much thought, but I'm not buying this story. I will gladly eat my words if there's any confirmation of this - someone should reach out to Weiss. Hell, I'm gonna ask Swift next time the opportunity arises. He might know.

Edit: fuck it - messaged Swift. I did work with him for a bit. Not even sure if he was the guy filming (it was Skin and Danny Mayer, right?) but he would know if more had been done for sure.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:13:40 PM by BugleBites »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2021, 09:45:33 PM »
I could kind of see it happening with those 90s style frontside flips. He basically rolls up 90 degrees for most the tricks so it would be more like a 270 flip.
Or possible confusion and it was nolle and fakie 270 flips

Why you'd never use the footage tho doesn't make much sense to me. Even if they were saving it for a part that never happened you'd think someone would put out the footage by now for something.

BugleBites

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2021, 09:53:46 PM »
I could kind of see it happening with those 90s style frontside flips. He basically rolls up 90 degrees for most the tricks so it would be more like a 270 flip.

Why you'd never use the footage tho doesn't make much sense to me. Even if they were saving it for a part that never happened you'd think someone would put out the footage by now for something.

Exactly - when Anthology came out they used more of the raw footage and had Dyrdek singing his praises telling the whole story, even going so far as to say what sequence a lot of it happened in. It just doesn't make sense that, at that point, they would omit some crazy bangers and a few others that would have made the story even crazier.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2021, 12:48:29 AM »
Sami Harithi

He's been posting recent skating on IG lately, still kills it: https://www.instagram.com/samiharithi/

@BugleBites really interested in hearing about those potentially leftover tricks. Frontside 360 kickflip regs or switch into those banks sounds impossible and way harder than over a skatepark pyramid (which already is insane, at least that one; thinking about it, wasn't Ray Barbee also doing that trick - regs on pyramids - for a short while?). But the industry censoring skating that is too good just because it doesn't benefit their direct interest wouldn't exactly be unheard of. Thinking of stuff like that Bastien ''''''lost'''''' part again. Professional skating really dislikes it when it's being exposed as the fraud that it is under many aspects.

KDP

• Rep: 12
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2021, 02:10:08 AM »
Expand Quote
I remember reading an interview with Penny where he said that Guy was his all time favorite skater.
[close]

And Quim.

...and Dave Robinson which is about as random as it gets. I think it was in the thrasher 20th anniversary interview.

Dave is a skater from London who rode flow for a few brands here and there but never really bothered to chase sponsorship.
Incredible natural talent who would shy away from a camera a lot.
Mad that he got name checked.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Rewatched Really Sorry last night for the first time in probably 10 years. I know this is a "classic video" but after the rewatch i'm kinda sitting here scratching my head as to why it is regarded as classic. Really Sorry seems like they edited all the footage together in a real lazy way. I didnt even realize that Ewan Bowman had taken over for French Fred for the second video so maybe thats the reason why it wasnt quite the same as Sorry
[close]

Really Sorry is just kind of a victory lap from Sorry!   It came out on DVD paired with Sorry with little hype.   Mark Appleyard was on a tear and needed an outlet for it to be shown.    I enjoy it it in an entirely different way.   Sorry is a meal, this is a snack
[close]

ahhhh okay okay that makes more sense. tbh i was just getting into skating when Really Sorry came out so I didnt fully comprehend what I was seeing.
[close]

It's a weird one for sure. No intro, nothing between the parts, video didn't really have cohesiveness to it. The weird Mark Appleyard freeze frame after his first song.

It really was just meant to be the DVD version of Sorry they were releasing...

Flip used to have this thing where they always kind of went the extra mile. Thats why Xtremely Sorry came with griptape and some plastic toy bits. That's why for anyone who has ever attended their demos, they seem to do more to make sure that kids got what that came for and some...

They'd been on a tear and had a ton of extra footage so with the above in mind, thought that re-releasing something which had already been released with 2-3 extras (as was the done thing then and for a long time after) wasn't cool. They didn't have footage of everyone on the team (Chalmers was still on. Rune, too...and I think Eric Fletcher and another am) so couldn't really make a new video...but they did have enough to make parts for some of the crew.

Apparently, it wasn't meant to be premiered and it was just DVD extra parts but lots of countries heard that there were parts and pushed for premieres, so the whole thing got blown up as a bit more than what it was meant to be.

That was told to me by Ian Deacon about 15 years ago.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2021, 02:22:29 AM »

That's pretty much how I remember Really Sorry being introduced in general at the time, too, or at least in some (early?) ads. Really Sorry was basically the name of the DVD release of Sorry and that new 'video' was essentially just a bonus edit on the DVD, except that coincided with the era of peer-to-peer platforms taking off and so the 'Really Sorry' video was ripped and shared on equal terms as the original video, and from then on the new generations in general always assumed that both productions were the result of comparable full-length ambition.

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2021, 03:01:30 AM »
The sort of people who think that Penny is overrated probably think that Jackson Pollock just made a mess and that anyone could do it.

The point of course is that no one did it before him, not like that.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2021, 06:36:29 AM »
it was pretty nice but still not nearly as nice as penny's or reynolds. penny's kickflips looked as good as that around that time too. he took it a step further with the pointed down and the shifty. reynolds learned that from penny. also he doesnt have the same pop either he just hucks at mach 10 for that triple set. like i don tthink anyone is gonna agree with you that jeremey wray style is on par with reynolds or penny. he is definitely way more gnar than both of thme i will give you that.
ONTARIO CANADA

KDP

« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2021, 07:34:24 AM »
Jeremy Wray is an all time favourite - but he definitely didn't have that good flick like Penny.

In fact, he was always known for his odd foot placement* and slightly weird kickflips, wasn't he? Like...foot almost in heelflip position to kick out...

*I could be wrong.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2021, 07:49:38 AM »
Oh 1 more thing. I was thinking about this the other day. Tom is the only skater I can think of that's A-level at every discipline of skateboarding:

1. Flat ground
2. Manny pads
3. Ledges
4. Skateparks
5. Stairs
6. Gaps
7. Handrails
8. Mini ramps
9. Bowls
10. Vert

Maybe guy and carroll too, but it's hard to be pro level at any skateboard discipline (for lack of a better description)

Ishod ?
Now that i think about it, i don't remember any memorable manual from him
Same for vert but considering how good he is on transition, he should be fine

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2021, 07:54:42 AM »
Jake Illardi and Zion are both insane at everything the only thing i would say maybe i havent seen much from those 2 is Mannys
Gonz really good at everything including vert
Bob Burnquist was pretty dope on street too for a gnarly vert guy, same with Rune Glifberg and Tony Hawk
Reynolds has hit some pretty deep pool stuff like kickflip really high out of a deep pool but never relaly seen him hit the lip tricks or grind
lol actually that Jagger can skate everything too clearly as much as you hate to say it he legit can skate whatever he wants from mega ramp to switch stuff on handrails. again never seen him do a manual either
ONTARIO CANADA

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2021, 08:17:02 AM »
Jeremy Wray is an all time favourite - but he definitely didn't have that good flick like Penny.

In fact, he was always known for his odd foot placement* and slightly weird kickflips, wasn't he? Like...foot almost in heelflip position to kick out...

*I could be wrong.

His opening line in second hand smoke shows he has his foot in heel flip position or that's just Ollie position on skinny board.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2021, 02:16:44 PM »
Anyone else thinking FS 360 Flip meant that TP rolled frontside to the chain and tre flipped over it both switch and regular? I don’t think that poster meant a 360 kickflip but hey it is Tom Penny and I’d believe both.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:07 AM »
Anyone else thinking FS 360 Flip meant that TP rolled frontside to the chain and tre flipped over it both switch and regular? I don’t think that poster meant a 360 kickflip but hey it is Tom Penny and I’d believe both.

tbh a switch 360 flip would be harder than a switch fs 360 kickflip over that chain, i mean it could have been a switch fs 200 flip and then sliding out the rest of the rotation on the bank, that would still count in my book and seems believable. a regular fs 360 kickflip is much more crazy to me than a switch one though
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2021, 10:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

tbh a switch 360 flip would be harder than a switch fs 360 kickflip over that chain, i mean it could have been a switch fs 200 flip and then sliding out the rest of the rotation on the bank, that would still count in my book and seems believable. a regular fs 360 kickflip is much more crazy to me than a switch one though

im not sure id call that "easier", but i think it sounds more Tom for sure

i think the whole thing sounds pretty silly to me. what do you think is more likely. transworld with held tom penny footage on purpose to boost geoff rowley career, or it never happened and this guy is just some slap troll?
ONTARIO CANADA

BugleBites

« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2021, 10:26:41 AM »
Talked to Swift - everything Tom did that day was in Anthology. There were no other tricks. Solved. Someone likes to embellish it seems.  ;)

Also, the idea that people were trying to NOT publish Tom photos is absurd - he was the golden boy and people were dying to get literally anything of him they could in the magazines. One thing I love about Slap is the ability to search someone's post history. If you do that with the poster who made these claims, you will find other questionable posts that seem like "skate lies" ... just sayin'.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »
lol bet dave swift had a laugh about that
ONTARIO CANADA

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2021, 10:41:34 AM »
Dave swift is a secret reptile who is at the head of the anti Tom penny conspiracy.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1131
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2021, 02:33:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

they would omit
[close]
cobra

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2021, 02:41:31 PM »
Dave swift is a secret reptile who is at the head of the anti Tom penny conspiracy.

BugleBites

« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2021, 12:07:31 PM »
Semi-related ... there used to be a guy who lived in Vancouver who was always telling me skate lies when I'd run into him, often about things he said he had done (this guy could barely do 5050's on ledges clean, soooo ...), but the one that really sticks out was during one of the Slam City Jam contests. I saw him downtown a day or so before the contest outside Burrard skytrain station. He excitedly told me he had just seen Muska 5050 the rail going down into the station next to the escalator, which is a completely impossible rail. Something like 2 or 3 sets of 15, super steep with harsh kinks. Not even remotely doable by any of today's insane rail gods. I don't even remember how I reacted, probably an eye roll, but I couldn't believe anyone who has even the slightest understanding of skateboarding would think that claim was believable. Why do people feel motivated to say such things?!

Another one that sticks out was when a few friends and I were skating at the famous CIBC rails, and this guy (Jerry Perry - not Jarret Perry) comes up to us saying he just "switch back smitty'd" the rail a few minutes before, with no one around. We all knew he was bullshitting - he didn't even have a skateboard with him. Lol. So we offered him any of our boards to give it another go for our camera. Nope. Bunch of excuses came out and he quickly made a retreat.

I won't lie, I considered that the person with this Tom Penny fib might actually be one of those two guys, since it appears he's Canadian. Haha.

anillusionofthepants

• Rep: 14
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2021, 01:37:57 PM »
Now lets address why Guy was in Sk8mafia's Berrics montage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U7ehKeBRBI

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2021, 05:31:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I remember reading an interview with Penny where he said that Guy was his all time favorite skater.
[close]

And Quim.
[close]

...and Dave Robinson which is about as random as it gets. I think it was in the thrasher 20th anniversary interview.

Dave is a skater from London who rode flow for a few brands here and there but never really bothered to chase sponsorship.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Flip used to have this thing where they always kind of went the extra mile. Thats why Xtremely Sorry came with griptape and some plastic toy bits. That's why for anyone who has ever attended their demos, they seem to do more to make sure that kids got what that came for and some...

They'd been on a tear and had a ton of extra footage so with the above in mind, thought that re-releasing something which had already been released with 2-3 extras (as was the done thing then and for a long time after) wasn't cool. They didn't have footage of everyone on the team (Chalmers was still on. Rune, too...and I think Eric Fletcher and another am) so couldn't really make a new video...but they did have enough to make parts for some of the crew.

Apparently, it wasn't meant to be premiered and it was just DVD extra parts but lots of countries heard that there were parts and pushed for premieres, so the whole thing got blown up as a bit more than what it was meant to be.

Watched the video yesterday and outside of some of Arto's stuff and maybe a few tricks from Mark Appleyard, none of it really seems like left over or bonus footage, because they all look kind of different and a tad older. There's 19 months between the two videos. Just seems like they had momentum after Sorry and kept skating everyday.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2021, 07:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And Quim.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Watched the video yesterday and outside of some of Arto's stuff and maybe a few tricks from Mark Appleyard, none of it really seems like left over or bonus footage, because they all look kind of different and a tad older. There's 19 months between the two videos. Just seems like they had momentum after Sorry and kept skating everyday.
Also you can look at the shoes and tell it's all newer footage. Rowley is still wearing airwalks in some clips in sorry and in really sorry he is wearing his 4th or 5th vans shoe. Artos in Etnies. Penny and Appleyard have their pro shoes

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2021, 09:48:28 PM »
Sketchy guy who didn’t even skate who worked at this shitty shop I went to as a kid in 2001 in the San Diego area told me Steve Olson did kickflip 50-50 shove out down the Hollywood 16. I believed him because I was young and naive, and also that was such a gnarly yet random trick I thought if anybody would do it it would be him.

That guy got arrested for soliciting a minor shortly after.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2021, 10:14:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Oh 1 more thing. I was thinking about this the other day. Tom is the only skater I can think of that's A-level at every discipline of skateboarding:

1. Flat ground
2. Manny pads
3. Ledges
4. Skateparks
5. Stairs
6. Gaps
7. Handrails
8. Mini ramps
9. Bowls
10. Vert

Maybe guy and carroll too, but it's hard to be pro level at any skateboard discipline (for lack of a better description)
[close]

Ishod ?
Now that i think about it, i don't remember any memorable manual from him
Same for vert but considering how good he is on transition, he should be fine

Allot of people don't know Koston ripped on vert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgrpmY0O4CI

KDP

« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2021, 02:19:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And Quim.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I never said it was bonus footage.
I think there is some misunderstanding in what I was saying.
Lemme change up one line to clarify:

"They'd been on a tear and had shot a ton of extra footage post-Sorry so with the above in mind, thought that re-releasing something which had already been released with 2-3 extras (as was the done thing then and for a long time after) wasn't cool."

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2021, 02:45:13 AM »
I brought up the term 'bonus' myself, so I'll clarify what I meant there too. From my humble perspective as a consumer at the time, IIRC there was no big campaign announcing the filming of a sequel to Sorry or anything that ambitious. The guys definitely just kept filming - it's obvious how the Really Sorry footage is more recent. Then news of the DVD release of Sorry (since that was around the time of the switch from VHS to DVD) came out, and that it would be called Really Sorry and feature new footage. 'Whole' new video as extra content after such a short time span was generally considered mindblowing (the quality and duration were unexpected) and I guess Flip sort of realized what they were sitting on as the release approached, then they rolled with it. If it's a full-length then it's one of the classic type, the kind that just happened and not of the premeditated kind with lots of build up and anticipation as Sorry was. People knew Sorry was coming and were prepared; Really Sorry mostly surprised.

A lot of the marketing around Really Sorry was subsequent to the release of the video IIRC, I remember they had a Really Sorry board series out too (if not more), skated the PJ Ladd one that I probably even saved a piece of somewhere due to liking it that much at the time. Now I wonder if they didn't end up rinsing it a bit though? I'm getting hit by memories of maybe over a whole year where non-Really Sorry branded Flip stuff was hard to come by, and being bummed that the OG Sorry graphics had suddenly become impossible to find (being completely replaced by the Really Sorry ones).