Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88337 times)

Utopos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #300 on: April 15, 2020, 01:15:09 PM »
Big balls or Raws?

I have said it many many times in person and on here. Bones Ceramics are 100% worth the money. They are better and last way longer than any other bearing that I have had and I rarely clean them if ever.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #301 on: April 15, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Big balls or Raws?
[close]

I have said it many many times in person and on here. Bones Ceramics are 100% worth the money. They are better and last way longer than any other bearing that I have had and I rarely clean them if ever.
Not spending that much money on an alternative setup. Not moving from swiss 6 on my main one.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #302 on: April 18, 2020, 09:57:53 AM »
Midnite boredom. Messing around with some of my setups and noticed this on the Bones China Reds..got each set from 2 different skateshops in my country. 1 of them cost half the price than the others. Removed the shields to get a better view of the internals. They looked identical. Only time will tell which ones will last longer.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:00:42 AM by GBLange »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »
I got fake Reds off eBay once. They sucked.

The ones I’ve gotten from Skateone have the logo on the left. The fakes I bought had no edge bevel on the inner races.

fartface

• Rep: 8
« Reply #304 on: April 18, 2020, 12:54:31 PM »
I ride some Andalé swiss for now.
I usually just ride good ol reds but I thought it was time for something new.
"Childhood diabetes on lock"

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #305 on: April 18, 2020, 08:57:28 PM »
Midnite boredom. Messing around with some of my setups and noticed this on the Bones China Reds..got each set from 2 different skateshops in my country. 1 of them cost half the price than the others. Removed the shields to get a better view of the internals. They looked identical. Only time will tell which ones will last longer.

Forgot to mention, left ones are the cheap priced Reds & the right ones from the authorised Bones seller

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #306 on: April 18, 2020, 09:04:35 PM »
yeah a ton of fake bones swiss and bones red on ebay. just buy from a skateshops website. i got a set off the big balls of tactics (super cheap and couldn't resist) and ive been using them for two months and the'yre doing so well.

ive owned the swiss six balls and they're probably the fastest bearings ive had..
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #307 on: April 20, 2020, 08:04:22 PM »
yeah a ton of fake bones swiss and bones red on ebay. just buy from a skateshops website. i got a set off the big balls of tactics (super cheap and couldn't resist) and ive been using them for two months and the'yre doing so well.

ive owned the swiss six balls and they're probably the fastest bearings ive had..

Yeah I've seen a lot of them pop up on Asian e-commerce sites going at 1/2 the regular price too.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #308 on: April 20, 2020, 08:41:55 PM »
I skate reds, one time I skated a set of bronsons that were free. It was a nice three days but then they stopped working. Swiss seems worthwhile but I have yet to see a reason to stop skating reds.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #309 on: April 21, 2020, 08:51:40 PM »
Can you believe these sketchy Brazilian bearings?

"Double ten"
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #310 on: April 21, 2020, 09:41:09 PM »
To anyone who has ridden Zealous ceramics, how are they? Where are they on the bones scale? Super Reds? Reds? They seem like they'd be pretty good at $40....

shalom pals
niggling

[/quote]

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #311 on: April 21, 2020, 09:52:50 PM »
To anyone who has ridden Zealous ceramics, how are they? Where are they on the bones scale? Super Reds? Reds? They seem like they'd be pretty good at $40....

shalom pals

if you're gonna spend more then $30 might as well spend a bit more and get swiss's
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2020, 10:02:52 PM »
Expand Quote

shalom pals
[close]

if you're gonna spend more then $30 might as well spend a bit more and get swiss's

I've done the Swiss thing before, but I just want some cheaper, more chuckable bearings I don't need to worry about getting really crusty, swiss are $80 up here in Canada.
niggling

[/quote]

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #313 on: April 21, 2020, 11:46:36 PM »
I’m skating bones Swiss 6 balls, with shields. Before that I had bones Swiss L2 and I skated the same set for over ten years. To be fair they are still going! I handed them down to a kid at my local park who is a much better skater than me and he has no complaints about them. All though he does not clean them so who knows how long they will last in the Oregon weather.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #314 on: April 22, 2020, 03:40:30 AM »
I gave into my curiosity and ordered some of rockin Ron's patented pocket rockets. Got them about a week ago. They're just NMB double shields (no custom shields or anything) and although he claims they're lubricated with some special juice the seals looked factory new to me.

First impression was that they're really fast out of the gate, definitely better than reds. I was hoping they'd get even faster as they broke in but that hasn't happened (at least not yet) and they don't use thick lube or feel stiff to begin with so I'm not sure if it will. After bombing a few hills with both them and some of my favorite bearings (hard luck 6 ball, flip hkd 7, and modus 7) I came to the conclusion that they aren't the absolute best bearings ever and they aren't even the fastest of the ones I own, but they are  pretty damn fast.

Can't speak to the durability since I haven't had them that long but my last set of NMB lasted a few months and only died because I got them wet so I'm going to assume these are similar. I'm pretty comfortable recommending them to anyone who wants a good bearing in the $25 price range. They probably aren't going to outperform a set of Swiss 6 or anything like that but I'd take them over big balls or Andale or most other bearings in the price range.

Anyone down for ordering a case directly from NMB and starting Shockin Sean's bearing company with me?

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2020, 02:08:43 AM »
Bones speedcream vs. Bronsons speed cream? Havent tried Either one

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2020, 09:30:28 AM »

"Double ten"

oh my I need one of those so badly

sewing machine oil is the move

I saw a link on here while back for bones replacement shields if the op of link could repost that would be nice
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:33:13 AM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2020, 01:34:32 PM »
Downside to the Bronson oil is the bottle, it’s harder to control the amount of oil that comes out so it’s really easy to get too much. Bones Speed Cream is pretty tried and true so I would pretty much lean that direction. Of course if you’re riding Bronson then you might want to use what the factory used if that’s your thing.

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #318 on: April 23, 2020, 01:37:46 PM »
Expand Quote

"Double ten"
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

I saw a link on here while back for bones replacement shields if the op of link could repost that would be nice

Not OP but this is the link for swiss shields from the bones website

https://bonesbearings.com/bones-bearings-swiss-replacement-shields-4pk
niggling

[/quote]

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #319 on: April 26, 2020, 09:07:01 PM »

Tried both, didn't notice much difference between them. Just get whatever is cheaper or sewing machine oil if you want to save a few bucks.

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #320 on: April 28, 2020, 06:50:16 AM »
ok i'm sure this has been beaten to death, but does anyone SWEAR by bearing spacers?  i've been skating for 20+ years and have NEVER used them....figured id give them a try on a new setup.
so i have a new set of bones swiss & og classic spitfires.  i put them in and crank the nut all the way down, and the spin is so fucking minimal its embarrassing...i loosen them up a little & they spin pretty good.  but in comparison to almost any bearings ive ever used WITHOUT spacers, these just seem much slower.  am i doing something wrong or whats the deal here lol

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #321 on: April 28, 2020, 06:55:37 AM »
ok i'm sure this has been beaten to death, but does anyone SWEAR by bearing spacers?  i've been skating for 20+ years and have NEVER used them....figured id give them a try on a new setup.
so i have a new set of bones swiss & og classic spitfires.  i put them in and crank the nut all the way down, and the spin is so fucking minimal its embarrassing...i loosen them up a little & they spin pretty good.  but in comparison to almost any bearings ive ever used WITHOUT spacers, these just seem much slower.  am i doing something wrong or whats the deal here lol

Maybe don't crank all the way? You're going to bend something.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #322 on: April 28, 2020, 07:03:58 AM »
Crank them snug, but not so snug that u can feel the bearings when rotating...
And most likly the wheel tolerance is wonky, so it will never be ideal.
Your skateboard will sound "dead" too, as some hardcore skaters would say  ;D

And... Spin test is not very valuable. Its how they roll on the ground that matters.

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2020, 07:06:20 AM »
Crank them snug, but not so snug that u can feel the bearings when rotating...
And most likly the wheel tolerance is wonky, so it will never be ideal.
Your skateboard will sound "dead" too, as some hardcore skaters would say  ;D

And... Spin test is not very valuable. Its how they roll on the ground that matters.

ok so they arent supposed to be "tight" just snug.  that makes more sense...and yeah i hate to admit it but i did get the kind of 'dead' sound lol.  i have bronson raws on another setup so these sound SUPER dead in comparison

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2020, 08:32:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

"Double ten"
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not OP but this is the link for swiss shields from the bones website

https://bonesbearings.com/bones-bearings-swiss-replacement-shields-4pk

Thank you
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sododgy

« Reply #325 on: May 02, 2020, 12:21:28 AM »

shalom pals

I haven't ridden the ceramics, but have the regulars. It's the grease they use that does wonders IMO. I went down a rabbit hole once and figured out that it is, or almost certainly is, this severe duty grease (https://www.archoil.com/products/ar8000-grease) used for everything under the sun including racing and firearms applications. I think I ended up tracking it down through some longboarding engineer or something. Zealous wouldn't ever respond to any of my emails, unsurprisingly. It comes in a half oz syringe for like $20, but that's enough to last forever.

It's super thick, and takes a little bit to break in, but I swear by it for rain boards and cruisers.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #326 on: May 02, 2020, 11:46:54 AM »
Expand Quote

"Double ten"
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

I bought sewing machine oil once and used bones speed cream in some of my bearings and sewing M oil in others.

2 drops in each bearing. The sewing machine oil bearings turned all black from the oil leaking out, very heavy oil leaking out. I would not recommend but then again it could be the brand I bought; it was just some basic brand from target.

I think people should stick with bones speed cream.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #327 on: May 02, 2020, 04:49:50 PM »
Added spacers and I don’t think I like them. Or need them. I think.

Uncle Poseur

« Reply #328 on: May 02, 2020, 05:25:30 PM »
Added spacers and I don’t think I like them. Or need them. I think.

The only reason you don't like spacers is, they make it a pain in the ass to change wheels.

You don't think you need them is probably because you don't ride $70 bearings. And if that's the case, then no, you probably don't need them. IF you DO ride Swiss, they'll make them last a bit longer by keeping them straight.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:30:25 PM by Uncle Poseur »

JB77

« Reply #329 on: May 03, 2020, 08:30:25 AM »
Big Balls in one setup, Mini-Logo in the other.  Honestly, the Mini-Logos feel faster to me.  The Big Balls are nice, though.  Got a free set from Skate One when they first came out and they’re holding up.