Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 90060 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2020, 05:43:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
mini logo bearings have nylon bearing cage like reds?
[close]
They have a removable rubber shield on one side, a removable metal shield on the other, a high speed molded ball retainer, precision ground and super-finished hardened chromium steel races and balls, and come pre-lubricated with Speed Cream.
[close]

the new ones have rubber shields on both sides.
Nice! I got that from Tactics. How to tell if it's a new version? (not in had obviously.. but packaging/online? any signs?)

might just pop the shields on mine

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #361 on: May 08, 2020, 08:48:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
They have a removable rubber shield on one side, a removable metal shield on the other, a high speed molded ball retainer, precision ground and super-finished hardened chromium steel races and balls, and come pre-lubricated with Speed Cream.
[close]

[close]
Nice! I got that from Tactics. How to tell if it's a new version? (not in had obviously.. but packaging/online? any signs?)

not sure, but the past 3 or so sets I've gotten since about the start of the year from my local (510 skateshop) and also online from 35th north have all been double rubber shields so I feel like its unlikely to get the metal ones unless they have some obscure leftover stock.

tyshoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #362 on: May 10, 2020, 02:09:24 PM »
YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED WITH INDEPENDANT BLACKS IN THE $15 RANGE.

sorry for yelling but these below are discontiunued but are an upgraderd version of Indy 7s. I found these much smoother and faster than reds, super reds and Shake Junt triple OGs. And seem uneffected by dirt, or hard skating  I feel like these dont feel much different from swiss to me (especially after a week of skating) from memory.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Independent-Genuine-Parts-Black-Skateboard-Bearings-msrp-25-00/273213425430?hash=item3f9cca0716:g:xA4AAOSw3pZa-fam

They use a very good lubricant as well on these and I got 6 months on them so far and theyre faster and smoother than all my other bearings (also seem to have a better seal as have not needed to be cleaned from the elemants like reds or SJ trip ogs and feel nice so I grabbed a couple more sets at this price. Some people are buying them and reselling them for $40. Not woth that, but def worth >$15 if looking for a good set.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:23:18 PM by tyshoes »

juras

« Reply #363 on: May 10, 2020, 02:21:43 PM »
Shake Junt

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #364 on: May 11, 2020, 03:54:51 AM »

sorry for yelling but these below are discontiunued but are an upgraderd version of Indy 7s. I found these much smoother and faster than reds, super reds and Shake Junt triple OGs. And seem uneffected by dirt, or hard skating  I feel like these dont feel much different from swiss to me (especially after a week of skating) from memory.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Independent-Genuine-Parts-Black-Skateboard-Bearings-msrp-25-00/273213425430?hash=item3f9cca0716:g:xA4AAOSw3pZa-fam

They use a very good lubricant as well on these and I got 6 months on them so far and theyre faster and smoother than all my other bearings (also seem to have a better seal as have not needed to be cleaned from the elemants like reds or SJ trip ogs and feel nice so I grabbed a couple more sets at this price. Some people are buying them and reselling them for $40. Not woth that, but def worth >$15 if looking for a good set.

Blacks are hit and miss. I've got one good set and one bad one. The retainer is kind of flimsy so if you get them wet or dirty and have to do a full breakdown then be careful when popping the crowns. I had one break and one bend pretty bad. They're decent enough cheapies and I'll buy them if they're on sale and there's no better option in the $10-15 range (flip hkd 7, mini logo etc) but I don't think they're anything special. I'm no great fan of reds but if I were choosing between the two I'd take reds for sure.

I just picked up a set of Sparrow bearings (https://errandsbrand.com/hardgoods) from the corner store and the initial impressions are good. He was out of the 7's so I had to get the 3's and honestly if the low end bearings are this good I'm very interested in trying the higher end ones. They're smooth, quiet, and reasonably quick. Not blazing "oh shit here comes a hill better foot drag so I don't die" fast or anything but still fast enough to be fun. I'd put them in that cheap but effective class with reds, modus black, indy black spitfire cheapshots etc. Definitely going to give the higher grade ones a chance when they're back in stock.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #365 on: May 11, 2020, 03:53:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

not sure, but the past 3 or so sets I've gotten since about the start of the year from my local (510 skateshop) and also online from 35th north have all been double rubber shields so I feel like its unlikely to get the metal ones unless they have some obscure leftover stock.

You guys are talking about the shields... I'm asking about the ball retainer/cage. Like reds and swiss come with nylon cages that are removable for cleaning.

Like these

I did a search and found this so looks like nylon cage

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #366 on: May 11, 2020, 06:44:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Blacks are hit and miss. I've got one good set and one bad one. The retainer is kind of flimsy so if you get them wet or dirty and have to do a full breakdown then be careful when popping the crowns. I had one break and one bend pretty bad. They're decent enough cheapies and I'll buy them if they're on sale and there's no better option in the $10-15 range (flip hkd 7, mini logo etc) but I don't think they're anything special. I'm no great fan of reds but if I were choosing between the two I'd take reds for sure.

I just picked up a set of Sparrow bearings (https://errandsbrand.com/hardgoods) from the corner store and the initial impressions are good. He was out of the 7's so I had to get the 3's and honestly if the low end bearings are this good I'm very interested in trying the higher end ones. They're smooth, quiet, and reasonably quick. Not blazing "oh shit here comes a hill better foot drag so I don't die" fast or anything but still fast enough to be fun. I'd put them in that cheap but effective class with reds, modus black, indy black spitfire cheapshots etc. Definitely going to give the higher grade ones a chance when they're back in stock.

I havent had any inconsistancy in my two sets Im using. Sparrows are interesting but in reality, as long as bearings are sealed, not rubbing or dirty, theyre all so similar, I found these indy black best next to swiss 6 as they have a very smooth like swiss feel based on the lubricant I think. For $15, I think theyre an obvious choice and I havent had to clean them yet so Ill cross the bridge when it comes. I wouldnt say mini logos or reds are on the same level. I removed reds to put these in and it was smoother, quieter and faster. So maybe I got two hits

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #367 on: May 11, 2020, 07:25:35 PM »
Andele swiss..
the ones that come in the silver tin are good bearings cleaned them once in the year I've had them no complaints
 and shitty bearings are my go to excuse at being a shitty skateboarder..

Diocletian

« Reply #368 on: May 11, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
I’ve been on a set of Super Reds for several months now keeping the shields on and they’re doing great. Whether I buy Reds or Swiss, popping those shields off make them die in no time. I can’t comment on whether Super Reds last longer than Reds. But I like the black shields on the Supers better in terms of looks *shrug*.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #369 on: May 12, 2020, 11:57:11 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133408612441

What’s with these $30 something dollar bones Swiss on eBay?

Echelon

• Rep: 0
« Reply #370 on: May 12, 2020, 12:11:15 PM »

Most probably fake. Chinese fakes and sold as Bones Swiss, there's a lot of them in circulation.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #371 on: May 12, 2020, 04:04:50 PM »

if you look at the sellers feedback someone left neutral feedback saying the swiss were fakes but he did refund.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #372 on: May 13, 2020, 02:04:23 AM »
I just set up a set of Josef Scott Jatta signature Pusher bearings.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #373 on: May 13, 2020, 02:13:21 AM »
Old reds

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #374 on: May 13, 2020, 02:15:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

if you look at the sellers feedback someone left neutral feedback saying the swiss were fakes but he did refund.

eBay is full of fake Bones bearings. Buy only from skate shops.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndoSXeyJbk8
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 02:25:44 AM by imuseless »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #375 on: May 13, 2020, 02:35:42 AM »

eBay is full of fake Bones bearings. Buy only from skate shops.

Should be noted that there are some reputable internet shops with ebay accounts - warehouse skateboards and TGM are the two I see most often. Pretty much if it seems too good to be true then it probably is. The cheapest I've ever paid for legit bones Swiss was $45 after discounts from a local place and the owner said he pays close to that wholesale, so if you see $30-40 ones it's almost certainly bullshit. There's people selling "bones Swiss ceramics" which are crazy expensive for like $35 on there.

Honestly I'm surprised bones hasn't done something about it yet. Either switch up the packaging with something that's  hard to fake or something.

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #376 on: May 18, 2020, 11:59:12 PM »
Just cleaned some old Bones Swiss with paint thinner + speed cream. Decided to try something new, and after I put them back in the wheels, I spun em with an air compressor gun, to aid with the break in process, and they seemed hella fast when I took em for a quick go. hopefully I didn’t spin all the lube out, we’ll see :/
niggling

[/quote]

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #377 on: May 20, 2020, 01:52:18 AM »
I've skated the same Bones Swiss bearings for 5 years. I clean them 1-3 times per year.
And bro... you only put metals into acetone baths...

If you use shit the way its intended, it will last. Simple as that.
I used to buy rather cheap bearings, and they dident even last half a year.

So use shields, spacers and clean them occasionally.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:57:07 AM by Vintagebody »

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #378 on: May 20, 2020, 08:40:15 AM »
acetone only breaks down acetates, not nylon
🤙

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #379 on: May 20, 2020, 06:17:24 PM »
I know i'll just be preaching to the choir here, but tried Swiss 6 for the first time today and holy moly i didnt think the difference would be THAT noticeable coming from big balls. Coming from reds before that, I couldn't feel a huge difference running Big Balls (in fact they were pretty awful before "breaking them in" which i had never had to do before), but i'd even hazard to say these feel faster than the L2's on my cruiser (9", 169s, Mini Super Juice).

A joy.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #380 on: May 20, 2020, 11:01:53 PM »
I know i'll just be preaching to the choir here, but tried Swiss 6 for the first time today and holy moly i didnt think the difference would be THAT noticeable coming from big balls. Coming from reds before that, I couldn't feel a huge difference running Big Balls (in fact they were pretty awful before "breaking them in" which i had never had to do before), but i'd even hazard to say these feel faster than the L2's on my cruiser (9", 169s, Mini Super Juice).

A joy.
glad you seen the light
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sadnocomply

• Rep: 122
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #381 on: May 23, 2020, 05:30:46 PM »
Need some cheapie bearings under $20 for a backup, got modus, spitfire, shake junt as options or just get some reds?

Main has fresh Swiss six but it’s about to rain for 8 days here smh. Time to find a nice garage lot.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #382 on: May 23, 2020, 08:53:08 PM »
6 are the best. And I should just get those next.
My last set of regular swiss, from a shop, just ok. I’ve had mini logos that feel faster than reds. I need to remember to not buy reds.
I found remember ‘germans’ nmb from the youth. I heard you can still get them, something something thicker grease something.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #383 on: June 09, 2020, 11:10:22 PM »
Man, the cages keep popping off my Swiss 6. Im using a washer at each side and spacers. My wheels make a weird-ass screechy-rattly sound when I’m pushing, then later I pull the bearings and there’s always at least one of them essentially looseballing it. Pop em back in, ride and repeat... dunno if it’s the mini vomits or aces or the actual bearings. gonna have to try other combinations. How’s Bones customer service? wouldn’t wanna bother my local about a $68 purchase...
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #384 on: June 09, 2020, 11:16:36 PM »
Powell's customer service is super good...they respond for sure...

NMB's are Japanese bearings.....Nippon manufacturing?

thelonelynow

« Reply #385 on: June 10, 2020, 12:33:46 AM »

As far as I know Minebea Mitsumi here in Japan still manufactures them but they do so at their Thailand plant. I use them on my "might get caught in a typhoon" setup. Paired with Bones Spacers they perform quite well, so well in fact I've questioned why I usually pay 4 times as much for my Race Reds on my other cruisers. Ironically, they're hard to find in Japan and I've been getting mine from the same site I get Acid Wheels from in the US. SOP Distribution.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #386 on: June 10, 2020, 02:34:08 AM »
Boring answer but I always run Bones Reds or Super Reds if I'm feeling spicy (or if they're out of regular Reds).

Tried Bronson, Modus, FKD, Speed Demon, Black Panther, Shake Junt and Lucky. FKD were surprisingly the longest lasting/best performing out of the bunch, but when they went dust.... they were dust and no salvaging was possible. Always come back to Reds for reliability and affordability. One day, I'll try Swiss...
Super Champion Fun Zone

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #387 on: June 10, 2020, 05:18:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As far as I know Minebea Mitsumi here in Japan still manufactures them but they do so at their Thailand plant. I use them on my "might get caught in a typhoon" setup. Paired with Bones Spacers they perform quite well, so well in fact I've questioned why I usually pay 4 times as much for my Race Reds on my other cruisers. Ironically, they're hard to find in Japan and I've been getting mine from the same site I get Acid Wheels from in the US. SOP Distribution.

spacers even with such a budget priced bearing?

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #388 on: June 10, 2020, 05:30:23 AM »
Bones Swiss 6
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

thelonelynow

« Reply #389 on: June 10, 2020, 05:57:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
spacers even with such a budget priced bearing?

Yes. I use spacers always. I don’t leave play in my wheels ever. That’s just my preference though. I live in a quiet neighborhood full of old people too so keeping my setups as quiet as possible when cruising the streets is necessary. I use Race Reds in most of my setups. Tighten them all the way, no washers, built in spacers and they roll quiet and fast! Most skaters I know here use spacers and don’t leave much if any play in their wheels. I know in the US a lot of skaters don’t seem to use them. My local shop gives you a set if you purchase bearings and they aren’t included in the box which is nice.