Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88304 times)

SteveStuart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #450 on: July 07, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »
Bones Swiss for two reasons:

1. They are the best
2. They are not made in China

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #451 on: July 07, 2020, 06:00:48 PM »
Bones Swiss exclusively. Used to be Bones Reds when I was a kid and couldn’t afford anything better...
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #452 on: July 07, 2020, 06:10:18 PM »
One setup with Bones Swiss, the other one with Mosaic ceramics. I clean both when needed, the Swiss are still pretty much new after a couple of years. Mosaic are hella rusty but still faster than Swiss, very recommended if you can find them.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #453 on: July 07, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »

Whats the logic behind this? How about nada...

Clean 2-4 times per year, depending on how much you skate.
If they start to get loud or slow, then its already enough grit in them to have done some damage.

That's not really true, as long as it's good steel then "some damage" doesn't mean the bearing is shot. With good bearings the races can take more of a beating than you might think and you might be surprised how much life you can bring back with a proper full breakdown balls-out cleaning. While I don't think Bones Swiss are the absolute godsend most skaters do, the one area they really do excel in is durability. I've taken seriously nasty sets that I picked up in second-hand wheels and brought them back to damn near new performance with a proper cleaning.

So the logic behind that is that good bearings can have a much longer effective lifespan with proper cleaning and maintenance, aka the exact thing that every bearing manufacturer tells you to do. Not quite "nada". 

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #454 on: July 07, 2020, 10:39:59 PM »
Expand Quote

If they start to get loud or slow, then its already enough grit in them to have done some damage.
[close]

That's not really true, as long as it's good steel then "some damage" doesn't mean the bearing is shot. With good bearings the races can take more of a beating than you might think and you might be surprised how much life you can bring back with a proper full breakdown balls-out cleaning. While I don't think Bones Swiss are the absolute godsend most skaters do, the one area they really do excel in is durability. I've taken seriously nasty sets that I picked up in second-hand wheels and brought them back to damn near new performance with a proper cleaning.

So the logic behind that is that good bearings can have a much longer effective lifespan with proper cleaning and maintenance, aka the exact thing that every bearing manufacturer tells you to do. Not quite "nada".

Some damage here and there will eventually lead to too much play in the bearing tracks/balls. They might feel and even be faster duo to this, but they will fall apart sooner...

Just a tiny bit of dirt spinning around in there under load is bad, no matter if you have good steel

Juanjo789

« Reply #455 on: July 07, 2020, 10:42:47 PM »
cheapshots

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #456 on: July 08, 2020, 05:45:50 AM »
pals with bones swiss, how often do you do clean em? need these to last me a few setups to justify the price
Every 6 months +-
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #457 on: July 08, 2020, 06:22:41 AM »
My birthday is soon. Should I ask for a set of swiss ceramics or a few sets of China whites?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #458 on: July 08, 2020, 07:03:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Some damage here and there will eventually lead to too much play in the bearing tracks/balls. They might feel and even be faster duo to this, but they will fall apart sooner...

Just a tiny bit of dirt spinning around in there under load is bad, no matter if you have good steel

Again, some damage doesn't mean unusable and that's especially true in the case of Bones Swiss. I'm not saying they're going to be as fast as a brand new set with flawless races, I'm saying that keeping them clean and doing maintenance as needed will give your bearings a longer useful lifespan and better performance.

A lot of people I've skated with just pop the shields and dunk them in rubbing alcohol then put them back together and think "oh cleaning them doesn't really do much" without realizing that you have to pop the balls to properly clean the retainer and races. Also I've seen soooo many people who crush their shields when they tighten their axle nuts and then complain that shields slow the bearing down. Well no shit, it's rubbing against the balls now. Labyrinth shields work well but I saw a set of bearings that had convex shields one time and thought that was a pretty cool idea.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #459 on: July 08, 2020, 07:20:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Again, some damage doesn't mean unusable and that's especially true in the case of Bones Swiss. I'm not saying they're going to be as fast as a brand new set with flawless races, I'm saying that keeping them clean and doing maintenance as needed will give your bearings a longer useful lifespan and better performance.

A lot of people I've skated with just pop the shields and dunk them in rubbing alcohol then put them back together and think "oh cleaning them doesn't really do much" without realizing that you have to pop the balls to properly clean the retainer and races. Also I've seen soooo many people who crush their shields when they tighten their axle nuts and then complain that shields slow the bearing down. Well no shit, it's rubbing against the balls now. Labyrinth shields work well but I saw a set of bearings that had convex shields one time and thought that was a pretty cool idea.

Yes, and that means cleaning them before they start to make noises or become slow.
I dont see why people cant just have a cleaning routine 2-4 times per year.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2020, 07:33:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, and that means cleaning them before they start to make noises or become slow.
I dont see why people cant just have a cleaning routine 2-4 times per year.

Well you have to remember that not everyone skates the same type of spots for the same length and frequency. If you're skating dusty ass street spots for hours every day then you're going to need to clean them more often than someone who only skates an indoor park on the weekends. In the winter I barely need to touch mine unless they get wet, but right now if I go to the spot around the corner from me thats next to a construction site then there will be dirt stuck to any even slightly wet or recessed spot on my setup within the hour. Every 3-6 months might be a good schedule for you, but if I waited that long right now then my shit would feel like grittier than Nora's upper lip.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #461 on: July 27, 2020, 07:14:03 PM »
I bought a pair of Swiss from Skatewarehouse and they are not good. Rolled well the first day but got progressively worse. Coming off an injury so it’s been nothing but parking lots for a couple of weeks. Did some deep research on cleaning and even made my own cleaning contraption similar to the one sold by bones.
Reached out to customer service and I guess I need to send them in.
For the past 10 years, I’ve always bought Shake Junt abec 7s whenever I buy new wheels. It’s worked well for me and I’ll probably just keep doing that like a dummy.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #462 on: July 27, 2020, 07:27:50 PM »
My birthday is soon. Should I ask for a set of swiss ceramics or a few sets of China whites?
Swiss 6 is the answer you're looking for.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #463 on: July 27, 2020, 08:42:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Swiss 6 is the answer you're looking for.

yes! swiss 6. smooth + fast
(spacers. speed rings. shields. always)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #464 on: July 27, 2020, 10:42:01 PM »
I bought a pair of Swiss from Skatewarehouse and they are not good. Rolled well the first day but got progressively worse. Coming off an injury so it’s been nothing but parking lots for a couple of weeks. Did some deep research on cleaning and even made my own cleaning contraption similar to the one sold by bones.
Reached out to customer service and I guess I need to send them in.
For the past 10 years, I’ve always bought Shake Junt abec 7s whenever I buy new wheels. It’s worked well for me and I’ll probably just keep doing that like a dummy.

There have been loads of counterfeit Bones bearings appearing on ebay and Aliexpress. A set of Bones Swiss Ceramic will set you back around $20, Red going for $5. Doubt Skatewarehouse would pull a dick move by selling counterfeits but I feel less inclined to buy high priced bearings seeing how the market is getting flooded with fakes. The less popular brands seem to be doing a better job with price to performance.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #465 on: July 27, 2020, 11:27:11 PM »
I wonder why Bones hasn’t made a Super Swiss 6 Ceramic yet.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #466 on: July 28, 2020, 03:48:00 AM »
Black Panthers.

Don’t see many of them in the wild, but the ceramic ones are SOLID. Ceramics are as fancy as I get.

Swiss really that good?

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #467 on: July 28, 2020, 03:49:56 AM »
Agreed, I too rate the 6 ball over ceramics
listen to cosmic psychos

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #468 on: July 28, 2020, 05:02:30 AM »
Really. I always thought that 6 ball was for racing. They take impact well?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #469 on: July 28, 2020, 06:49:22 AM »
son of a bitch..i think im gonna get a set of swiss. i have never owned a set. i have no wife or woman in my life nor do i have a child so i see no issue in hording skate gear like a madman

i really only ride bones. i have only bought reds for reasons mentioned by others in this thread. i am running a set of reds i got through a friend who owns a comic and collectibles shop in town but i picked up a set of super reds awhile back which i have yet to skate.
even the steven

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #470 on: July 28, 2020, 07:10:49 AM »
Swiss' are all hype, turns out. Bought a set of SKF explorer 608-2z (SKF being the company that invented ball-bearings) for 20$-ish (Swiss' are like 150$ here), and they roll like nothing else.

SKF makes all kinds of bearings for crazy purposes, like aircrafts and boats and shit, so I guess skateboarding is literally childsplay. No marketing budget as well (if the packaging/name didn't reveal that already), but they know their shit.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #471 on: July 28, 2020, 07:38:55 AM »
If you mean the white bones red ceramics, I had some and they are super fast but mine dried out extremely quickly, within 3 days most of them locked up. They skated fine after I re lubed them but they still dry out kinda fast
I emailed bones about it when they locked up and they said I needed to clean and relube them even tho I had been skating them for 3 days on perfect non dusty/dirty skate park ground.
Swiss 6 tho, that’s a good one to ask for.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #472 on: July 28, 2020, 07:51:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you mean the white bones red ceramics, I had some and they are super fast but mine dried out extremely quickly, within 3 days most of them locked up. They skated fine after I re lubed them but they still dry out kinda fast
I emailed bones about it when they locked up and they said I needed to clean and relube them even tho I had been skating them for 3 days on perfect non dusty/dirty skate park ground.

+1 (or even +10) for the Swiss 6. Super durable, really smooth and fast.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #473 on: July 28, 2020, 08:20:50 AM »
I'm skating these FTC shop bearings right now and they're pretty good so far. I thought they felt a little dry at first but they've actually been very smooth and quiet without any additional lube and after a month or so I haven't had any issues with them at all. 

Sparrow purple (their cheapest ones) have been really good too. They did take a little while to break in but they're pretty zippy now and are still rolling really smooth for a single shield bearing. I want to try the green ones (the top of the line) but they seem to be sold out everywhere and from the looks of it they're not going to be restocked any time soon.

Anyone tried Olympia? The packaging is fancy but I'm curious if the bearings themselves are anything special or just your run of the mill chinese cheapies.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #474 on: July 28, 2020, 08:36:02 AM »
I broke my own rules and landed on a pair of Bones Ceramics (the white ones) when I bought a pair of Indys that came together with a set of Ricta Cloud. They seem to spin less freely than the Swiss I have in my setup but are relatively new. Do they need a cleaning & oiling or do they get better the more you ride them?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #475 on: July 28, 2020, 09:39:11 AM »
Swiss' are all hype, turns out. Bought a set of SKF explorer 608-2z (SKF being the company that invented ball-bearings) for 20$-ish (Swiss' are like 150$ here), and they roll like nothing else.

SKF makes all kinds of bearings for crazy purposes, like aircrafts and boats and shit, so I guess skateboarding is literally childsplay. No marketing budget as well (if the packaging/name didn't reveal that already), but they know their shit.

SKF sponsored Andrew Reynolds back in the day. Definitely a good bearing company for a million applications.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #476 on: July 28, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »

Where did you buy them?

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #477 on: July 28, 2020, 11:16:09 AM »

I doubt you will find a set SKF bearings in the US for under $40ish. You might get 3 bearings for $20.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #478 on: July 28, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I doubt you will find a set SKF bearings in the US for under $40ish. You might get 3 bearings for $20.

Well at least in Europe you can get 8 of these bearings for around 20€. But I personally didn't think they are significantly better as reds or modus. Might try again.
IG: @flowterspace

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #479 on: July 28, 2020, 01:37:54 PM »
I broke my own rules and landed on a pair of Bones Ceramics (the white ones) when I bought a pair of Indys that came together with a set of Ricta Cloud. They seem to spin less freely than the Swiss I have in my setup but are relatively new. Do they need a cleaning & oiling or do they get better the more you ride them?

Expand Quote
[close]

just another note to add:
I have 2 white ceramics on my set up and the rest are swiss 6.
Those 2 ceramics are rolling well but the rest need cleaning and lube.
The ceramics dry out a lot faster than swiss 6 in my experience.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:48:22 PM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.