Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 90035 times)

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 75
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #510 on: September 20, 2020, 01:12:42 AM »
I just retired my 7-or-so-years old Bones Swiss with Super Reds.
So far so smooth? I dont know... Doesnt seem to roll that much smoother then the well maintained Swisses.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #511 on: September 22, 2020, 05:58:47 AM »
I’ve had piss poor luck with bearings lately. I have never shelled out for Swiss because I’m afraid I’ll spend $60 and they could shit out like any other bearings, even if I try to maintain them meticulously like I have with other cheaper/mid priced bearings.

Other than my stubborn refusal to go Swiss, maybe I’m doing it wrong? Seems like my shields are always bent and I can never get the bearings fully clean, thus I end up in the same place I started or worse by the time I reassemble. Someone help me climb out of this dark place I have found myself in...

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #512 on: September 22, 2020, 06:17:07 AM »
I’ve had piss poor luck with bearings lately. I have never shelled out for Swiss because I’m afraid I’ll spend $60 and they could shit out like any other bearings, even if I try to maintain them meticulously like I have with other cheaper/mid priced bearings.

Other than my stubborn refusal to go Swiss, maybe I’m doing it wrong? Seems like my shields are always bent and I can never get the bearings fully clean, thus I end up in the same place I started or worse by the time I reassemble. Someone help me climb out of this dark place I have found myself in...

Bent shields? Gently remove them from the bearing with a safety pin - place the pin between the inner race and the shield, then pop the shield out by gently using the pin like a lever with the inner race as the fulcrum. The shield should pop right out. If you have a vice or grips or something like that, carefully use it to flatten your shields back out. If you don’t have either, stick them between some hardcover books and leave them for a bit.

Bearings dirty after cleaning? What are you cleaning them with? Do you take the cages out?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

baustin

« Reply #513 on: September 22, 2020, 06:23:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bent shields? Gently remove them from the bearing with a safety pin - place the pin between the inner race and the shield, then pop the shield out by gently using the pin like a lever with the inner race as the fulcrum. The shield should pop right out. If you have a vice or grips or something like that, carefully use it to flatten your shields back out. If you don’t have either, stick them between some hardcover books and leave them for a bit.

Bearings dirty after cleaning? What are you cleaning them with? Do you take the cages out?

Safety pin sounds like a good move, I usually use a razor blade. As for cleaning solutions I’ve been using acetone or rubbing alcohol. I have never attempted to remove the cages, is there an instructional out there somewhere on that? Thanks!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #514 on: September 22, 2020, 06:26:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Safety pin sounds like a good move, I usually use a razor blade. As for cleaning solutions I’ve been using acetone or rubbing alcohol. I have never attempted to remove the cages, is there an instructional out there somewhere on that? Thanks!
dont say youve been cleaning bearings with the cages on....
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #515 on: September 22, 2020, 06:34:25 AM »
for reference from bones

cages = retainer

baustin

« Reply #516 on: September 22, 2020, 06:54:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
dont say youve been cleaning bearings with the cages on....

Guilty... it seems like a lot could go wrong but I’m gonna give it a shot with the bearings I have now as they’re about 50% functional at best

Diocletian

« Reply #517 on: September 22, 2020, 08:00:13 AM »
You remove the shields to clean bearings, the cages aren't necessary.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #518 on: September 22, 2020, 08:02:58 AM »
The cage is necessary to remove if you want 100% clean bearing. Which I always recommend. When ur bearings are already out, why not clean them 100%?

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #519 on: September 22, 2020, 08:11:39 AM »
If you want to remove the cages, take something like a flattened paper clip. Place the tip of the paper clip on the cage between the balls and push. If it doesn’t budge, try at another spot. The trick is to be gentle yet firm to avoid damaging the cage. In my experience, about half the cage will pop off the balls from the first push, then you use the paper clip to do the same thing to the other side of the cage to remove it entirely. To put it back it, place the bearing over the cage and use the paper clip to arrange to balls. Once the balls are in place, press down evenly over the bearing and the shield should pop back into place. Once again, gentle yet firm, try not to force anything to avoid damaging the cage. Cages and shields can be cleaned with water, soap, and a toothbrush.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Diocletian

« Reply #520 on: September 22, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
Too much work :P

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #521 on: September 22, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
Been running Bronson G3s for the past month and a half. Started out fantastic but they locked up pretty badly after about a month. Might pop the shields and try to clean and lube them today but I'm pretty bummed to be doing this for a relatively new set of bearings. Those amazon ceramic bearings look pretty interesting for $17, has anyone else tried them out?

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #522 on: September 22, 2020, 11:57:50 AM »
I’m skating Bronson Raws, and I love them because they spin fast and they last a really long time. However I would advise against using any other Bronson bearing (G2 or G3) as they break super quickly and not worth the money. If you can’t spend a lot on bearings, I would go with Bones Reds

baustin

« Reply #523 on: September 22, 2020, 12:01:15 PM »

Definitely almost too much work when it comes to cheap bearings, but in the covid world where nothing is certain and you never know when hardgoods are going to be in stock it’s a good thing to know how to maintain what ya got. Happy to report I resurrected 3 bearings that seemed absolutely shot by following the advice above and popping out the cages then cleaning again. Wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, thanks SLAP

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #524 on: September 22, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »
Riding some Olympia ceramic bearings. Retail is $44.95
Only a week or so in but extremely fast, No slowing down yet.

I’ve had mine (the $25 dollar ones that come in a little box.) for a year maybe 2 I can’t remember. And they are still just as fast when I got them. I haven’t cleaned them but maybe take a q too to the gunk on the outside. I skate dusty diys and streets usually and they haven’t slowed down. I can’t see me buying another bearing

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #525 on: September 22, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »
I was thinking would not having like 3 black ceramics and 4 metal ball in one bearing be the best.

Would be louder
Would be less likely to deform.
The race would be self polishing
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #526 on: September 25, 2020, 08:43:22 AM »
The cage is necessary to remove if you want 100% clean bearing. Which I always recommend. When ur bearings are already out, why not clean them 100%?
just tried this to an older pair of reds and disassembled them completely. i don't know if it was the orange cleaner i used/rinse with water and dried but they the balls the center retainers and the housing all had rust spots and wouldn't even spin when assembling them again. Felt like a waste.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #527 on: September 25, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
just tried this to an older pair of reds and disassembled them completely. i don't know if it was the orange cleaner i used/rinse with water and dried but they the balls the center retainers and the housing all had rust spots and wouldn't even spin when assembling them again. Felt like a waste.

Was the rust there to begin with? Did you dilute the citrus cleaner with water?

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #528 on: September 26, 2020, 04:05:57 PM »
Bam Margera speed metal

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: September 26, 2020, 05:33:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Was the rust there to begin with? Did you dilute the citrus cleaner with water?
did not dilute. Whoops. And I wouldn’t think too much surface rust to start they were maybe a year old tops.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #530 on: September 27, 2020, 06:45:50 AM »
Weird. I have a few ideas. Apparently, undiluted citrus degreaser can leave an orange-red residue on metals. I wonder if it’s that? Conversely, I do remember reading something about the processes used to generate the terpenes in the degreaser can make the solution alkaline, which can corrode some metals. I’ve also heard that degreaser itself is a relatively strong oxidant, so I’m wondering if it oxidized some of the iron in the steel.

Unfortunately, I’m not a material science guy, so I would have to get to googling to find a reliable answer for you. That said, I might have an old set of reds in working order that I can send you if you’re in a tight spot!

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #531 on: September 30, 2020, 07:20:54 AM »
Someone here mentioned that you have to take the whole bearing appart including balls to get the best result. Does this work with regular Bones big balls or is it just for the swiss bearings?

Think I broke a bearing or two as one of my wheels barely rolls anymore. Otherwise im Still really happy with the big balls, seems to hold up longer than reg. Reds.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #532 on: September 30, 2020, 07:27:16 AM »
Someone here mentioned that you have to take the whole bearing appart including balls to get the best result. Does this work with regular Bones big balls or is it just for the swiss bearings?

Think I broke a bearing or two as one of my wheels barely rolls anymore. Otherwise im Still really happy with the big balls, seems to hold up longer than reg. Reds.

I assume so. I do not own a set of big balls, but you can disassemble reds just like Swiss, so I assume it’s the same.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #533 on: September 30, 2020, 08:21:36 AM »
Weird. I have a few ideas. Apparently, undiluted citrus degreaser can leave an orange-red residue on metals. I wonder if it’s that? Conversely, I do remember reading something about the processes used to generate the terpenes in the degreaser can make the solution alkaline, which can corrode some metals. I’ve also heard that degreaser itself is a relatively strong oxidant, so I’m wondering if it oxidized some of the iron in the steel.

Unfortunately, I’m not a material science guy, so I would have to get to googling to find a reliable answer for you. That said, I might have an old set of reds in working order that I can send you if you’re in a tight spot!
It may have been residue, yeah. But it didn't come off from wiping. Might've needed to scrub it off with a toothbrush or something.. got the orange cleaner idea from a YT video on cleaning bearings, hence the rinsing after with clean water. After trying my best to clean off the residue (?) and assembling 3-4 bearings only 1 was actually spinning. Think they are beyond repair, and I don't think i'll completely disassemble bearings to clean em again. Especially a $15 set.

sketchyrider

« Reply #534 on: September 30, 2020, 08:27:09 AM »

word, i feel nerdy enough cleaning and re-lubing bearings. and i don't wanna chance losing a ball bearing or something.

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #535 on: September 30, 2020, 09:40:03 AM »
After disembeling the bearings I found out that 2 of the cages Holding the balls were broken. Got my old spare bearings out and the balls fell out when I took the cage out.

Is it possible to get the bearings together in One piece again?

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #536 on: September 30, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
After disembeling the bearings I found out that 2 of the cages Holding the balls were broken. Got my old spare bearings out and the balls fell out when I took the cage out.

Yeah, place the inner race inside the outer race on a flat surface, then place the balls between them. Use a flattened paper clip or something like that to help you get the balls evenly spaced around the inner race. It should hold itself together well enough at that point to place it over the nylon cage and reassemble. I believe there’s a more thorough discussion about this further up.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #537 on: September 30, 2020, 10:49:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, place the inner race inside the outer race on a flat surface, then place the balls between them. Use a flattened paper clip or something like that to help you get the balls evenly spaced around the inner race. It should hold itself together well enough at that point to place it over the nylon cage and reassemble. I believe there’s a more thorough discussion about this further up.
i was using this shield-holding-the-balls method @ 2:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epLPX7sRQXI&t=185s

pops

• Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #538 on: September 30, 2020, 11:08:07 AM »

I had opposite experience with big balls. four bearings broke in a month of skating flat, lol. I even sent them email with pics but they claimed them not be defect set.

ballintoohard

« Reply #539 on: September 30, 2020, 11:11:46 AM »
I have Bones Super Swiss 6 and Red. The 6 are marginally faster, maybe, hard to know.