Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 89977 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #660 on: January 27, 2021, 12:03:25 AM »
Thanks guys I shall heed your advice.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #661 on: January 27, 2021, 12:09:29 AM »
Don't use cum for bearing lube. It cost me my career. As an accountant. Long story.

But anyways, I have Bones Swiss, sans non-functional spacers. Shit's good now, but further developments when snow melts, goddammmit.
your bravery curbed my curiousity thus saving my career.

thank you for your service
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #662 on: January 27, 2021, 02:28:28 AM »
bones swiss same set since 2015

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #663 on: January 27, 2021, 05:28:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Don't use cum for bearing lube. It cost me my career. As an accountant. Long story.

But anyways, I have Bones Swiss, sans non-functional spacers. Shit's good now, but further developments when snow melts, goddammmit.
[close]
your bravery curbed my curiousity thus saving my career.

thank you for your service
I spit in my bearings if one seems to be getting a little locked up while I’m skating.
It works well enough until I can pop the shield and add some speed cream.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #664 on: February 14, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »
Are Bones Swiss Ceramics really worth that hefty extra sum of money?

Can someone please provide a valid reason other than them being manufactured in Switzerland and have slightly more expensive components etc.

Funny how there are zero videos that cover this.

Don't get how you go from 20/30 dollar/euro bearings to 130 just like that with no evidence...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #665 on: February 14, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »
Bearings are graded and I do think the Swiss made ones are a better quality, like the bearings in a vacuum cleaner are different than a helicopter. 

That said, I think how we set up boards ie. With tiny hard wheels and how we use them, ie. throwing them down staircases.....none of it may matter....

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #666 on: February 14, 2021, 09:51:20 AM »

Can someone please provide a valid reason other than them being manufactured in Switzerland and have slightly more expensive components etc.

Don't get how you go from 20/30 dollar/euro bearings to 130 just like that with no evidence...
I bought some for the hell of it. Not faster then the Amazon $20 ceramics I've been using.
So not worth it IMHO.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #667 on: February 14, 2021, 09:53:26 AM »
I do wonder if it’s just the luck of the draw whether you get a good batch of bearings. Like, you might randomly get a set of Reds that are as good as Swiss.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #668 on: February 14, 2021, 10:02:04 AM »
Got a set of these a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Feel faster than the mini logo bearings I usually use. I haven’t really paid attention to the quality of different types of bearings aside from having shitty ones that don’t maintain speed well and then having Mini logo or Reds which keep speed much better.

https://www.olympia.supply/shop/bronze-grade-bearings

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2187
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #669 on: February 14, 2021, 03:00:51 PM »
Just picked up a set of RocknRon’s standard Rockets. Not even sure when I’ll get around to running ‘em, as I’ve presently got a few sets of Bones Swiss in rotation, and god knows THOSE things last a while.
Only $25 for what has been alleged to be Swiss like quality, so I thought, “...maybe, why not give they a try?”
Aaand there they were, at my door.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #670 on: February 14, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »

For most people, the answer is NO.

Even for normal Bones Swiss, if I didn't have heavily discounted / wholesale access, I most likely would not have been riding the twenty or so sets I have on boards, but I keep the shields on and keep them clean, so they last for a long time - never had any blow out, some going 20+ years.

There are a lot of decent bearings on the market now, some from no name brands for dirt cheap that work almost as well as big name brands at a fraction of the price, but the bottom line is if you don't look after them, you may as well be riding the cheapest you can get and just replace them whenever you have issues.

Lots of people just do the new wheels, new bearings thing, which in general is a good way to do things, as new wheels with old slow bearings just sucks on any level.  If you are going through wheels every couple of months, at least decent bearings like swiss will carry on, but if you work out how much you are spending, sometimes it is just easier to get something simple like reds with new wheels every time, especially if you don't clean them or you like to pop the shields on them.

The one set of Bones ceramic bearings I have were faster than the normal swiss, but they are currently sitting in the box they came in, mainly because I like having the same feel and performance and definitely was not going to spend that much on setting up a lot of boards with ceramics.

Not to be a dick, but people with too much money and longboarders are about the only ones I know who only ever ride and swear by Bones Swiss ceramics.  I will never have them in any shop I run, but that is just me.

Post covid, bearings have gone up like everything else, so how's this for prices:

Reds  $30 - 40 (AU dollars)
Super reds $50 - 60
Swiss $90 - 120
Swiss ceramics $199 - 270

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #671 on: February 14, 2021, 06:15:01 PM »
Got a set of these a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Feel faster than the mini logo bearings I usually use. I haven’t really paid attention to the quality of different types of bearings aside from having shitty ones that don’t maintain speed well and then having Mini logo or Reds which keep speed much better.

Do they really have eight balls in their bearings, or is it eight bearings as in a full set?

Info from the page:

FORGED FOR SKATEBOARDING
EIGHT PRECISION BALL BEARINGS
HIGH-SPEED NYLON RETAINER
INK STAMPED & HAND ROLLED PACKAGING
SINGLE REMOVABLE BLACK RUBBER SEALS FOR EASY CLEANING

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #672 on: February 14, 2021, 06:25:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do they really have eight balls in their bearings, or is it eight bearings as in a full set?

Info from the page:

FORGED FOR SKATEBOARDING

Hmm, I haven’t checked but I can take a look tomorrow!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #673 on: February 14, 2021, 06:38:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Info from the page:

FORGED FOR SKATEBOARDING
[close]

The more I think about it, the more I think it is meaning a set of eight and not eight balls per bearings.  Seven balls have been standard for so long and I couldn't see a company like that changing it up that much.

A lot are doing the six ball lately, but that makes more sense than eight balls.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #674 on: February 14, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Info from the page:

FORGED FOR SKATEBOARDING
[close]

[close]

The more I think about it, the more I think it is meaning a set of eight and not eight balls per bearings.  Seven balls have been standard for so long and I couldn't see a company like that changing it up that much.

A lot are doing the six ball lately, but that makes more sense than eight balls.

That makes sense. This and hardware are the two areas of  gear madness I’ve yet to be seized by, so I know next to nothing haha

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #675 on: February 14, 2021, 08:46:41 PM »
I just set up a fresh set of bones super reds. best bearings I’ve had in a long time.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #676 on: February 15, 2021, 10:45:46 AM »
I’m currently skating Reds Big Balls since Christmas. I have been needing to clean my set of Swiss 6 for a few months but haven’t got around to it.

Big balls are def better than the last couple sets of reds that I had from what I can remember.
But it’s been years since I’ve had normal reds/super reds.
I’m very happy with the Big balls. Not as good as Swiss or Swiss 6. But the BBs are fast and smooth.

I usually skate mini logo bearings or Swiss 6.
I typically have the MLs and on my extra set up.

And I firmly believe (from experience) that ML bearings are as good as any other bearing on the market under $20.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #677 on: February 15, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »
And I firmly believe (from experience) that ML bearings are as good as any other bearing on the market under $20.

tru. theyre even better now with the rubber instead of metal shields.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:18:53 AM by tzhangdox »

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #678 on: February 15, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
I’m currently skating Reds Big Balls since Christmas. I have been needing to clean my set of Swiss 6 for a few months but haven’t got around to it.

Big balls are def better than the last couple sets of reds that I had from what I can remember.
But it’s been years since I’ve had normal reds/super reds.
I’m very happy with the Big balls. Not as good as Swiss or Swiss 6. But the BBs are fast and smooth.

I usually skate mini logo bearings or Swiss 6.
I typically have the MLs and on my extra set up.

For sure, I’ve had six or seven sets on different set ups and they always perform really well. They were $10 but I haven’t checked if the price has gone up since last time I got a set

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #679 on: February 15, 2021, 11:40:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Info from the page:

FORGED FOR SKATEBOARDING
[close]

[close]

[close]

That makes sense. This and hardware are the two areas of  gear madness I’ve yet to be seized by, so I know next to nothing haha

I think 8 balls would fit in a bearing but I can't see a redesign of the retainer in the foreseeable future. I also think 8 balls wouldn't provide more momentum as say, 6 or 7 balls, but I am not sure. Any engineer wanna chime in?

I ran bones reds for 15 years, but around 4 years ago I always had bad luck with reds. Currently on Modus and Blurs Bearings which I find both really good and reliable.
IG: @flowterspace

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #680 on: February 15, 2021, 11:48:06 AM »
'Blurs bearings' are pretty decent (especially for anyone in Europe) and they've done a couple of cool artist collabs.
Good reasonable pricing as well.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #681 on: February 15, 2021, 03:21:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Info from the page:

FORGED FOR SKATEBOARDING
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think 8 balls would fit in a bearing but I can't see a redesign of the retainer in the foreseeable future. I also think 8 balls wouldn't provide more momentum as say, 6 or 7 balls, but I am not sure. Any engineer wanna chime in?

I ran bones reds for 15 years, but around 4 years ago I always had bad luck with reds. Currently on Modus and Blurs Bearings which I find both really good and reliable.
Behold the double 10.
(Swipe at your own risk)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJXIQ6pgut0/?igshid=bkbtavdmwx1i
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2187
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #682 on: February 15, 2021, 03:37:24 PM »
Behold the double 10.
(Swipe at your own risk)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJXIQ6pgut0/?igshid=bkbtavdmwx1i
These are the standard 608 size?!?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #683 on: February 15, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #684 on: February 15, 2021, 06:10:31 PM »
Stop it!!!

You are scaring me!!!!!

Ha, but funny they look like the "super team" of the bearing world.

I tried looking but for AU, the Honda bearing site would not come up, but their instagram has all manner of various sorts, 6 balls, race bearings, etc.

What do they cost, in relation to other main bearings?

Land of the Faust

« Reply #685 on: February 22, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »
I've recently started using Indy bearings. I went to get some bones, but they didn't have any, so I went with the Indys. They're pretty good all things considered.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #686 on: February 22, 2021, 01:42:35 PM »
All I buy are reds but it feels like a crapshoot whether they will be good or not. Lately, I've pooled together old bearings and just selected the 8 that feel the smoothest. I bet a lot of you guys have old bearings lying around that aren't all bad. THis is a good solution for those who aren't trying to buy new bearings but want a more consistent roll.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #687 on: February 22, 2021, 02:41:54 PM »
All I buy are reds but it feels like a crapshoot whether they will be good or not. Lately, I've pooled together old bearings and just selected the 8 that feel the smoothest. I bet a lot of you guys have old bearings lying around that aren't all bad. THis is a good solution for those who aren't trying to buy new bearings but want a more consistent roll.

Funny to think when I worked at an indoor skatepark and these pro dudes came by, one took out his "seized up old bearings" I think he called them and put in a new set.  As I was on the shop / counter I said just leave anything there and I will clean it up, but they ended up in the counter bin anyway.  When I went to do rubbish that night, there was not much else in the bin, just paper and dry things and I saw a bearing, so grabbed it out, realised they were ceramic and went fishing for the other seven, so as it turned out, they were fine, just a bit of a clean and now they run so perfectly on a cruiser, all because old mate the pro didn't want to bother to clean them out and just put in a new set.

As to your post, yes you can easily check, clean and use a decent set from spares or old bearings laying around.  I have resurrected many a set, or even parts of sets that people have taken off and left for dead.  It usually doesn't even take that much to get them going again either.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 302
« Reply #688 on: March 05, 2021, 05:41:36 PM »
Found out three of my Big Balls had cracked ball-retainers. Two were cracked in two spots!

I just cleaned them a couple of weeks ago and have mostly only skated flat and a mini ramp since then.

Only thing I can think is the cold? It's been ~34-42°F on those sessions.

Going to try some Super Reds next. Should have just bought Swiss 6.

Trollin4Tuna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #689 on: March 05, 2021, 06:32:01 PM »
Just picked up a set of RocknRon’s standard Rockets. Not even sure when I’ll get around to running ‘em, as I’ve presently got a few sets of Bones Swiss in rotation, and god knows THOSE things last a while.
Only $25 for what has been alleged to be Swiss like quality, so I thought, “...maybe, why not give they a try?”
Aaand there they were, at my door.

Tried to order some of those a few weeks ago but dude never shipped them. Never responded to my emails about the shipment either. I wouldn’t waste your time or money on Rockin Ron. I’d rather pay full price for Swiss and not have to wait a month.