Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88320 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #690 on: March 05, 2021, 06:41:06 PM »
So I got a set of used Bones Swiss in a bag of skate parts I bought for $25. Popped the shields, lubed them with the Speed Cream, and two weeks later, I don't know why I ever fucked with anything else. Bones Swiss forever
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #691 on: March 07, 2021, 08:06:40 AM »
I’m currently skating Reds Big Balls since Christmas. I have been needing to clean my set of Swiss 6 for a few months but haven’t got around to it.

Big balls are def better than the last couple sets of reds that I had from what I can remember.
But it’s been years since I’ve had normal reds/super reds.
I’m very happy with the Big balls. Not as good as Swiss or Swiss 6. But the BBs are fast and smooth.

I usually skate mini logo bearings or Swiss 6.
I typically have the MLs and on my extra set up.

And I firmly believe (from experience) that ML bearings are as good as any other bearing on the market under $20.

big balls are real nice. i’d suggest to check on the cages regularly. they break pretty easily

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #692 on: March 07, 2021, 08:08:57 AM »

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #693 on: March 07, 2021, 08:12:09 AM »
You save like $3.....

Unimaginable......

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #694 on: March 07, 2021, 09:06:33 AM »
Think I’ll jump to Swiss come spring. Looking for one consistent set up, probably with 97a. Only been riding with reds and mini logo for the past 2 years

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #695 on: March 07, 2021, 05:20:01 PM »
http://www.a51.ca/skateshop/product/bones-reds-bulk-8-pack/

these too good to be true?

Not quite as bad as "opened for display purposes" when there are ten of each set from a random ebay seller, which would almost totally be fake bearings.

I would say they are an authorised Bones account, so yes it is worth getting them if that is what you are after, even if it is only a few dollars off / saved.

Back in the day, most bearings came in boxes like that, loose or rolls wrapped in oiled paper, not the very specific individual packaging that you get everything in nowdays. 

How times have changed.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #696 on: March 08, 2021, 09:45:58 PM »
Has anyone tried andale swiss? Seeing videos of paul and Ribiero both mention them in the same day must have triggered the shopping chemical in my brain.  The price tag seems friendly if theyre a top end-ish bearing

Frank and Fred

« Reply #697 on: March 09, 2021, 08:13:13 AM »
I've been pleasantly surprised with the Chinese 6Ball, Big Ball Bones.

I have a set I lost to a water fountain a few months ago, but I rushed home and cleaned them properly and re-lubed and they have been amazing since. These will be my new budget bearing. ie. when I don't want to pay top dollar for Swiss made 6balls.

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
« Reply #698 on: March 09, 2021, 12:14:57 PM »
Ive had the same set of swiss since 2007. Yes seriously. I rode multiple other sets of cheaper bearings throughout this time but always maintaned them. Finnaly, one of yhe cages broke the other day. I don't have much confidence in the remaining bearings I think all of the plastic cages are so brittle and old they will break shortly as well. I've been writing a set of Bronson bras ever since they first came out and have been pleasantly surprised with them. I'm debating trying a set of Bones big balls or buying another set of Swiss but opting for the six balls this time. Any advice?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #699 on: March 10, 2021, 01:37:28 PM »
I have good luck with 6 ball,s both the Chinese and Swiss versions. If you have the money go Swiss 6. They just seem more durable to me.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #700 on: March 21, 2021, 06:50:28 AM »
Has anyone of you ever tryed to lube your bearings with drylube ? I got a can of Ballistol Teflon Spray. It says you can lube bearings with it. I wonder if this could be an alternative to oil.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #701 on: March 21, 2021, 12:46:03 PM »
Has anyone tried andale swiss? Seeing videos of paul and Ribiero both mention them in the same day must have triggered the shopping chemical in my brain.  The price tag seems friendly if theyre a top end-ish bearing

Yes I was given a set and I liked them enough to buy another
The ones I have come in the silver tin.

Good bearings

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #702 on: March 21, 2021, 01:07:05 PM »
Frankenstein set of refurbished Reds that I got rolling again by soaking in isopropyl, carefully lubing, replacing cages... I have a little baggy full of em from as far back as 2012 that I cycle through. It was a fun little project at first but the maintenance is becoming a chore, and many are beyond repair. Gonna pony up for ceramics soon.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #703 on: March 21, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »
Swiss on the main setup
10+ year old swiss in the dirt/monster truck board
Bronson G3 on the curb setup
Bronson G2 on the filmer/cruiser/dog board

Not sure why so much hate for Bronson’s. Both sets I’ve used have been fast and I haven’t had any issues with them. I’ve heard people complaining about them slowing down and seizing up, but that happens with every set of bearings eventually. Just pop the shields, clean and lube and you’re good to go. I’ve been running the set of G3’s for about a year and half without cleaning or lubing, and it seems like they’re getting faster and faster. Unpopular opinion:  I’d pick up a set of g2’s over Reds, any day. 

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #704 on: March 21, 2021, 07:37:25 PM »
Swiss on the main setup

Not sure why so much hate for Bronson’s. Both sets I’ve used have been fast and I haven’t had any issues with them. I’ve heard people complaining about them slowing down and seizing up, but that happens with every set of bearings eventually. Just pop the shields, clean and lube and you’re good to go. I’ve been running the set of G3’s for about a year and half without cleaning or lubing, and it seems like they’re getting faster and faster. Unpopular opinion:  I’d pick up a set of g2’s over Reds, any day.

I’m with you on not understanding the Bronson hate. Maybe they sucked when they first came out? I’ve had a few sets of G3’s and all have lasted me exponentially longer than any Reds product I’ve had

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
« Reply #705 on: March 21, 2021, 08:35:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Swiss on the main setup

[close]

I’m with you on not understanding the Bronson hate. Maybe they sucked when they first came out? I’ve had a few sets of G3’s and all have lasted me exponentially longer than any Reds product I’ve had

I too so not understand the bronson hate. I bought my first set of bronson RAW over two years ago and they are still flawless. Ive cleaned them maybe three times. Im used to swiss bearings if that gives you an idea of the quality.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #706 on: March 22, 2021, 04:48:24 AM »

This popped up in my ads, what do you make of these? Even copied the Bones font  :P

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #707 on: March 22, 2021, 07:52:41 AM »

This popped up in my ads, what do you make of these? Even copied the Bones font  :P

Rollerbones are made by SkateOne and are their cheaper than Reds bearings that come in a 16 pack. They make all their other bearings in 16 packs for roller skaters as well.

https://rollerbones.com/bearings

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #708 on: March 22, 2021, 07:54:08 AM »

This is part of Bones’ roller skating line, saw these online as well and looked into it. From their distributor site:

“Roll One Distribution is a sub division of Skate One corporation, manufacturers of the world's finest skateboard and roller-skate products.

Roll One was unveiled in 2000 as the roller product distributor of the manufactured roller goods produced by Skate One. This distribution entity has sales reps specific to everything roller with decades upon decades of experience not only as sales reps but as world class athletes for their skating discipline.

Roll One distributes brands such as RollerBones wheels, Eulogy Wheels, Bones bearings. We have plans on increasing product available in those brands as well as obtaining other quality brands to represent.”

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #709 on: March 22, 2021, 10:04:00 AM »
I wanted to buy more expensive bearings, but the local shop guy didn't stop talking about "Nothing Special". He convinced me to try them and they're actually amazing. Got the basic black ones.

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #710 on: March 23, 2021, 05:12:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone have experience with standard machine bearings? Recently I have bought 56 standard 608 2rs bearings for 30cent per bearing from a bearing shop.
When rolling around in the garage they don't feel that bad. I'm curious how long they will last.
[close]

Seven sets of bearings, at $2.40 a set is a good deal.

608 is the specific bearing size and make that we all use in skateboards.

RS - rubber shields, so 2 rubber shields on each bearing.

Pop the shields and have a look at the insides, could be all metal as per the older style of bearing, or could be nylon ball retainer as per newer style and most skate brand bearings nowdays, eg same as Bones, Modus, etc.

Also give them a bit of a shake / hold the inner ring inbetween two fingers of one hand and move the outer ring side to side with the other to see how much play there is - too much play and they might not last as long, but if they are reasonably tight in there, you might have some decent bearings.

Some generic bearings are so thickly lubed up they might hardly move at first, others almost not lubed at all, both will make some difference to how they skate right away, but should be about normal within a week of decent use.

I am interested to hear more once you have skated them a bit too.

I've been able to ride these cheap bearings for a couple of times now.
They have a metal cage and are lubed with grease. Smooth and quiet, but need a lot of time to break in. On the first run it feels like they don't want to go faster than 20. It gets better every session but it's still there. It's the same as my other greased bearings which needed around 70km before getting faster. When cruising around I don't feel much difference between these and my reds.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #711 on: March 23, 2021, 06:27:04 AM »
Bronson G3s across......four or five setups between my son and I. I dont fuck with anything else. Would do the ceramics at some point potentially.
ok thanks

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #712 on: March 23, 2021, 10:00:34 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/KVENI-Ceramic-Skateboard-Bearings-Premium/dp/B08T5ZHQ66

I'm really digging these Kveni ceramics. Fast and smooth.

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #713 on: March 23, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »
Think I’ll jump to Swiss come spring. Looking for one consistent set up, probably with 97a. Only been riding with reds and mini logo for the past 2 years

Current setup has Bones Swiss + some Formula Four 54mm 97a's - love it as my regular setup. Highly recommended.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #714 on: March 23, 2021, 04:32:54 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/KVENI-Ceramic-Skateboard-Bearings-Premium/dp/B08T5ZHQ66

I'm really digging these Kveni ceramics. Fast and smooth.

I’ve actually been looking at trying a set of those, I’m glad that someone on here approves of them. How long have you had them and what would you compare them to in terms of speed? Any other feedback is appreciated.

I also saw that they have a new version that is $5~ more.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #715 on: March 23, 2021, 05:23:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone have experience with standard machine bearings? Recently I have bought 56 standard 608 2rs bearings for 30cent per bearing from a bearing shop.
When rolling around in the garage they don't feel that bad. I'm curious how long they will last.
[close]

Seven sets of bearings, at $2.40 a set is a good deal.

608 is the specific bearing size and make that we all use in skateboards.

RS - rubber shields, so 2 rubber shields on each bearing.

Pop the shields and have a look at the insides, could be all metal as per the older style of bearing, or could be nylon ball retainer as per newer style and most skate brand bearings nowdays, eg same as Bones, Modus, etc.

Also give them a bit of a shake / hold the inner ring inbetween two fingers of one hand and move the outer ring side to side with the other to see how much play there is - too much play and they might not last as long, but if they are reasonably tight in there, you might have some decent bearings.

Some generic bearings are so thickly lubed up they might hardly move at first, others almost not lubed at all, both will make some difference to how they skate right away, but should be about normal within a week of decent use.

I am interested to hear more once you have skated them a bit too.
[close]

I've been able to ride these cheap bearings for a couple of times now.
They have a metal cage and are lubed with grease. Smooth and quiet, but need a lot of time to break in. On the first run it feels like they don't want to go faster than 20. It gets better every session but it's still there. It's the same as my other greased bearings which needed around 70km before getting faster. When cruising around I don't feel much difference between these and my reds.

Sounds like a good deal then!  :)
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #716 on: April 06, 2021, 08:41:53 AM »
I ride whatever comes in the used skatebort I bought from OfferUp. Shields off always.

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
« Reply #717 on: April 06, 2021, 08:56:07 AM »
I picked up a set of those Quantum Science bearings because I was curious. After two weeks of rocking them, I can genuinely say they hold up very well. I can’t tell a difference between my bones Swiss and these.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #718 on: April 06, 2021, 09:24:41 AM »
I picked up a set of those Quantum Science bearings because I was curious. After two weeks of rocking them, I can genuinely say they hold up very well. I can’t tell a difference between my bones Swiss and these.
which model?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #719 on: April 06, 2021, 09:53:03 AM »
also currently riding quantum atoms. I was on the fence after the first 2 weeks, but now they go pretty good. Would agree that they are at least on par with bones swiss.