Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 91869 times)

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 58
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #1050 on: August 22, 2023, 09:07:27 AM »
Thanks y’all. I’ll order a set. If I hate them it’s just $60. I can afford it. The G3s felt great at first, but now it’s like rolling through molasses at times lol. I skate exclusively on tennis courts and shouldn’t have to push more than once 😂

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #1051 on: August 22, 2023, 09:16:02 AM »
Thanks y’all. I’ll order a set. If I hate them it’s just $60. I can afford it. The G3s felt great at first, but now it’s like rolling through molasses at times lol. I skate exclusively on tennis courts and shouldn’t have to push more than once 😂

Report back when you have skated them. I'm 100 % sure you won't be disappointed.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1052 on: August 22, 2023, 09:36:18 AM »
Just want to say, I was setting up a board while traveling and bought some spitfire cheapshots. They're slow but fine.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1053 on: August 22, 2023, 09:39:38 AM »

If you're ordering online, just wait a week until everyone has 15-20% off Labor Day sales.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

OhioGuy

« Reply #1054 on: August 22, 2023, 10:02:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you're ordering online, just wait a week until everyone has 15-20% off Labor Day sales.
Great idea. I’ll do that. Thanks 🙏🏾

OhioGuy

« Reply #1055 on: August 24, 2023, 11:03:13 AM »
I have poor impulse control. Let’s see what the hype is about.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1056 on: August 24, 2023, 11:09:25 AM »
Just did my first cleaning of my Quantum Fusions (been a year) and they were mostly just dry. Still rolling extremely well but my only complaint is the red shields reminding me of China Reds, which have historically sucked for me.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1397
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1057 on: August 24, 2023, 11:56:21 AM »
Not quantums
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

OhioGuy

« Reply #1058 on: August 24, 2023, 12:05:47 PM »
I’ll keep the shields on these Swiss for a month then they’re coming off. I hate silent bearings. Gotta hear my skateboard. It turns me on lol

Might dunk them in some alcohol too to dry them out 🤤

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1059 on: August 24, 2023, 12:44:20 PM »
I’ll keep the shields on these Swiss for a month then they’re coming off. I hate silent bearings. Gotta hear my skateboard. It turns me on lol

Honestly I wouldn’t fuck with them at all until they start slowing down. The whole point of Bones Swiss is that they just work without all of the fuss.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

OhioGuy

« Reply #1060 on: August 24, 2023, 12:46:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Honestly I wouldn’t fuck with them at all until they start slowing down. The whole point of Bones Swiss is that they just work without all of the fuss.
Yeah I thought about that. With how much I spent I’m reluctant to mess with them. So I’ll see how I fell in a few months. For now they’re staying intact.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1061 on: August 24, 2023, 03:21:41 PM »
Running the quantum atoms. Initially was disappointed with them as they were great once broken in but slowed down significantly after 6 weeks. Cleaned and lubed them and they've been spinning much better than after the initial break in. Reds lasted me a year so if I can get 2+ years out of the quantums I'll be happy

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1062 on: August 24, 2023, 03:27:01 PM »
Running the quantum atoms. Initially was disappointed with them as they were great once broken in but slowed down significantly after 6 weeks. Cleaned and lubed them and they've been spinning much better than after the initial break in. Reds lasted me a year so if I can get 2+ years out of the quantums I'll be happy

They once told me some of their earlier stuff was overlubed and I had the same experience. After cleaning and applying just 1 drop they were and have been great so hopefully you have the same experience.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #1063 on: August 24, 2023, 10:07:19 PM »

Don’t take the shields off. They will get louder after a few sessions. I have a set from 2006 that’s still going strong, I just clean and relube them 2-3 times a year. If you remove the shield they’re going to die prematurely.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1064 on: August 24, 2023, 11:15:26 PM »
Swiss 6 are perfect. You don't need to do anything to them.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

OhioGuy

« Reply #1065 on: August 25, 2023, 05:47:07 AM »
Okay, my knee is flared up so I couldn’t go that hard, but damn, y’all weren’t lying.

These Swiss are amazing! I easily went across the entire tennis court (there are four of them lined up) with a gentle push. These accelerate really fast and would probably be overkill for bombing hills.

Can only imagine how good they’ll be once they’re broken in.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1066 on: August 25, 2023, 06:22:44 AM »
Our lord and savior Bobby The Worrest once said "don't pop the shields, don't do it"

OhioGuy

« Reply #1067 on: August 25, 2023, 06:29:23 AM »
Our lord and savior Bobby The Worrest once said "don't pop the shields, don't do it"
I won’t . . . for now. But it looks cooler IMHO. I saw a Nine Club setup video with Brain Anderson and he said it looks like you got your board from the department store when the shields are still on 😅

I don’t necessarily agree with that, but I’ve gotten used to the look of no shields.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #1068 on: August 25, 2023, 06:31:28 AM »

all hail worrest

OhioGuy

« Reply #1069 on: August 25, 2023, 06:35:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

all hail worrest
Lol. I believe it.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1397
« Reply #1070 on: August 25, 2023, 06:37:04 AM »

Dont even have to lose your head givin head, ohioguy, take a roll on the wild side. Pop the shields and scream
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

PJS

• Rep: 0
  • Yes, here we all are having a jolly good time
« Reply #1071 on: August 25, 2023, 07:10:24 AM »
I decided to bite the bullet and get some SKF Ishod's in September 2022. I've just realised I've had them in for 11 months and have done nothing to them what so ever and they are still spot on. They take a couple of week's to fully 'break in' but I'm genuinely impressed, as someone who used to be buying Reds every other month from popping them or them ceasing up I think even though they retail higher than others they're actually worth it! I'm gonna keep skating them till they break but 11 months deep they're showing no signs of slowing down... definitely a pun or two in there ;)

OhioGuy

« Reply #1072 on: August 26, 2023, 07:13:44 PM »
I was looking at old set-up videos. This one with Foy is funny. He had Bones Swiss at the time, said he pops the shields and they last a long time, a long time is six months to him 🥴

https://youtu.be/eAUjxZXJL_8?si=I7YfNgu1Af9v8GeD

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #1073 on: August 26, 2023, 07:29:00 PM »
been on quantum isotopes for a few months and big balls throughout the past years. the big balls suck in the winter but roll real nice in the summer. the quantum are the total opposite and are starting to get better as the temp drops

OhioGuy

« Reply #1074 on: August 27, 2023, 03:58:35 PM »
Was taking my bearings out to put them on some new wheels and this happened:

Gonna try to fix it, but if I can’t I’ll be putting a Red in this wheel to replace it. Kinda mad that happened. Wasn’t trying to take the covers off.

Update: Fixed it with a pen and some patience. Won’t be fucking with these again. Gonna ride ‘em to they die. Won’t even clean after that mishap lol
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 04:22:34 PM by OhioGuy »

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #1075 on: August 27, 2023, 04:25:05 PM »
Congratulations on learning how bearings work.

OhioGuy

« Reply #1076 on: August 27, 2023, 04:29:04 PM »
I know how they work, but was unsure if I could fix them. It’s the first time that’s ever happened to me lol

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1077 on: August 27, 2023, 09:08:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I know how they work, but was unsure if I could fix them. It’s the first time that’s ever happened to me lol

Gotta say I have even seen some of the best dudes think they just broke a bearing when things like that happened.

Just a little patience and getting everything back to where it should be and pop the ball retainer back in and away you go.

Could happen to anyone though, and I recall playing with old bearings just to see how they work and what I could (or couldn't) do with them and still have them perform as they should.

Full metal ball retainers = game over

Anything like that = much easier to get things back in place where they are supposed to go

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1078 on: August 27, 2023, 11:15:32 PM »
I'll make it easy for people struggling what to get.
If you're on a budget but still want great bearings get Flip HKD 5 or 7. Both are great, srsly.
If you can invest more money go for Swiss 6 or regular Swiss.
I don't think anything else is needed.
And ofc stay away from Bronson.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #1079 on: August 28, 2023, 01:28:49 AM »
I swear it's because I've only used pure acetone on this set vs rubbing alcohol in the past for every expensive/inexpensive bearing type, but I'm on the longest streak of no seizing and consistently fast bearings right now and they're literally just a set of Reds. Only cleaned them twice in the span of like 3-4 months and the second time I just did it because I was bored. No shields and no lube. I must've got a lucky set or something, I've had swiss seize up constantly on me.