Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 91834 times)

lulz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 52
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #1110 on: September 29, 2023, 06:46:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Question: Can your bearings make your wheel get tighter over time?

I thought I had axle slip, but I moved the wheel and now it’s tightening on the new axle. Very strange. Maybe they aren’t in deep enough 🤷🏿‍♂️
[close]

Yes. Use washers on both sides, tighten your wheels down to make sure the bearings are sitting properly, loosen your wheel until is spins freely. Keep a tool nearby, as you may need to do this again when you skate.

Not many wheels have the bearing seats complete squared and lined up, and this can also cause a wheel wobble or bind. Best to have a little bit of play once the bearing is sitting as deep as possible. If spacers fit properly in the wheels you have, this might also help.
[close]
Thanks! It’s funny, this happens when I decide to not uses spacers all of a sudden 😂

And I need to get a new skate tool. Used to have two, but now I just have one at my house.

Hers a nice one:

https://skateparkoftampa.com/carpet-company-d-tool-silver-94270-109

And here’s a discount code…🙂
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 04:45:57 PM by lulz »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1111 on: September 30, 2023, 03:59:56 PM »
Should have never ventured in here, now I'm thinking of treating myself to some Swiss or Swiss 6. Any discernable difference between the 2 if they are the same price?

How did those cheaper ceramic bearings go for you, or were they one and done, type of thing?

I seem to recall you posting about them a while back, but even a cheaper alternative that you can get easily and replace as needed might still work out better in the long run for some people.

That said I have had regular Bones Swiss last a long time and not had issues with them, but I feel like most people go through bearings a lot faster than I do as well.

Increasingly now I have been riding the cheap plain black shield bearings (just to see really) and they hold up fine for what I am doing mostly, but I can feel the difference in speed between them and the nice fast running Swiss bearings in other boards.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

garbage plate

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1112 on: October 02, 2023, 05:21:00 PM »
been rocking these for like a year. popped the shields.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1113 on: October 02, 2023, 09:12:53 PM »
I had Swiss 6 and had some bad luck with 2 sets and jamming issues/cages cracking. I'd gladly ride normal Swiss again as they've never done me wrong.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #1114 on: October 02, 2023, 09:24:16 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ll keep the shields on these Swiss for a month then they’re coming off. I hate silent bearings. Gotta hear my skateboard. It turns me on lol

Might dunk them in some alcohol too to dry them out 🤤
[close]

Don’t take the shields off. They will get louder after a few sessions. I have a set from 2006 that’s still going strong, I just clean and relube them 2-3 times a year. If you remove the shield they’re going to die prematurely.

I still can't tell if people are being sarcastic about popping shields. Except for labyrinth-sealed, all current bearings on the market or shielded only--they not make contact with the bearings or inner race and create no friction. Also, part of the premium for Swiss bearings is that the shield does a better job at keeping dirt out.

If your bearings are loud, they need lubrication.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1115 on: October 02, 2023, 11:37:01 PM »
I'm running Bones Big Balls right now. It's been at least a month of riding them and they are still quiet as fuck. All my previous Reds sets would be the standard loud barking spin at this point. I'm surprised, but they feel good. Not quite as fast as Reds or Super Reds, but still solid.

Not sure if I'd get them again, though. Was experimenting with these
Super Champion Fun Zone

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #1116 on: October 03, 2023, 02:15:19 AM »
I love those Black Panthers. I’ve been riding a set on and off for like five years now and they are still great. I might have lubed them up once.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #1117 on: October 05, 2023, 10:31:12 AM »
I guess we just get lucky with bearing sets that are not supposed to be the premium choice sometimes. Haven't had a set of bearings treat me this good in a decade it feels like. Regular ass reds with the shields off. Have cleaned them a couple times with pure acetone in the beginning and always run them shieldless. Beating the hell out of them all summer and even rolling in dust/dirt, they roll forever. Not even lubed. I love fucking with everything else besides bearings so I'm relieved.

Southernmost

• Rep: 118
« Reply #1118 on: October 05, 2023, 11:30:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ll keep the shields on these Swiss for a month then they’re coming off. I hate silent bearings. Gotta hear my skateboard. It turns me on lol

[close]

Don’t take the shields off. They will get louder after a few sessions. I have a set from 2006 that’s still going strong, I just clean and relube them 2-3 times a year. If you remove the shield they’re going to die prematurely.
[close]

I still can't tell if people are being sarcastic about popping shields. Except for labyrinth-sealed, all current bearings on the market or shielded only--they not make contact with the bearings or inner race and create no friction. Also, part of the premium for Swiss bearings is that the shield does a better job at keeping dirt out.

My pair of Swiss with the shields popped seem to roll faster and stronger than my pair with shields. The added sound effects is def a bonus.

ejazzle

• Rep: 79
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1119 on: October 06, 2023, 09:14:01 AM »
Anyone had a pair of bronson raws that just one single bearing gets completely rusted? Really like these too.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1120 on: October 06, 2023, 11:02:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

My pair of Swiss with the shields popped seem to roll faster and stronger than my pair with shields. The added sound effects is def a bonus.

You're joking about the sound effects right?

I think most people are denting their shields when they install their wheels. The edges of sockets and most box end wrenches are the ideal diameter to make contact with the weakest part of the shield. I don't know of any skate tool currently available that prevents this and I imagine no one is actively careful when tightening their wheels.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1121 on: October 06, 2023, 11:41:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think most people are denting their shields when they install their wheels. The edges of sockets and most box end wrenches are the ideal diameter to make contact with the weakest part of the shield. I don't know of any skate tool currently available that prevents this and I imagine no one is actively careful when tightening their wheels.
Indy makes a tool that widens out at the edge so even when you press down all the way it doesn’t make contact with the shield. I own it and it works great.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/independent-bearing-saver-t-tool-skate-tool-black-each?variant=40118560555165&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiaHHmYnigQMVHxmtBh0mzQtqEAQYASABEgJ7mfD_BwE

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1122 on: October 06, 2023, 01:20:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Indy makes a tool that widens out at the edge so even when you press down all the way it doesn’t make contact with the shield. I own it and it works great.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/independent-bearing-saver-t-tool-skate-tool-black-each?variant=40118560555165&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiaHHmYnigQMVHxmtBh0mzQtqEAQYASABEgJ7mfD_BwE

Thanks for posting this. I know Tensor made one years ago but did not know that anyone else had one (I've looked for years). It would be nice if someone made a version to fit a 3/8" socket wrench.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1123 on: October 06, 2023, 05:03:11 PM »
My swiss are rusted out on the table. I'm going to put the cages in my ceramics eventually.

The swiss cages never have pits in the cups that hole the bearings and they look better manufactured. Like they're less likely to break.

I'll just throw them in if the old race cages break.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

ish_wav

• Rep: 97
« Reply #1124 on: October 07, 2023, 01:57:52 PM »
Is anyone still riding quantum bearings? Rode mine for about a year but in that year, they would seize up even with regular (maybe even meticulous) cleaning. Switched back to bones Swiss and haven’t looked back.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #1125 on: October 07, 2023, 03:08:47 PM »
Is anyone still riding quantum bearings? Rode mine for about a year but in that year, they would seize up even with regular (maybe even meticulous) cleaning. Switched back to bones Swiss and haven’t looked back.
Still on mine. Although, the first set I had kept locking up, they sent me replacement set with the new cages and those have been going strong for over a year now. I think I’ve cleaned and lubed them maybe 3 times when I was setting up new wheels.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1126 on: October 07, 2023, 04:36:35 PM »
Myself and my friends are mostly on Quantum. I've had my Atoms for almost 3 years no and lube them once every 6-12mo. Had the Fusions for a year and cleaned them once. We all really like them and find they jam less than Swiss and roll just as well if not a tad better.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1127 on: October 07, 2023, 04:53:42 PM »
Myself and my friends are mostly on Quantum. I've had my Atoms for almost 3 years no and lube them once every 6-12mo. Had the Fusions for a year and cleaned them once. We all really like them and find they jam less than Swiss and roll just as well if not a tad better.

because i’m a kook i’ve got 4 completes currently.
mini logo
swiss
swiss 6
and i think quantum atoms

swiss 6 are the best, and by experience will let the longest, which what differentiates them. spinning the wheel by hand the quantum’s are fastest, but that doesn’t seem to translate. none of this is tested, just the bullshit of an internet user.
mini logo’s surprisingly decent, but that’s not all sets.
rather spin the mini logo roulette wheel than buy reds tho.
oh. my quantum’s were good initially, slowed dramatically cleaned and lubed them, still sucked, took the shields off and ran them dry and they are doing way better.
if i could only buy one i’d just buy swiss 6 and then never think about it

ish_wav

• Rep: 97
« Reply #1128 on: October 07, 2023, 06:23:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Still on mine. Although, the first set I had kept locking up, they sent me replacement set with the new cages and those have been going strong for over a year now. I think I’ve cleaned and lubed them maybe 3 times when I was setting up new wheels.
That’s awesome dude! Their customer service is absolute unmatched. I’ve been eyeballing some of their non-ceramic bearings to try out and reading this just convinced me to try them out.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1129 on: October 07, 2023, 08:18:26 PM »
They sell really well at the few local shops that carry them and the only hate I've seen them get are a few Slap posters, a few of which refused to reach out to their warranty service when they had an issue.

On the other hand my sets of Swiss 6 were the worst expensive bearings I've had. Jammed more than they should have, needed cleaning more often, cages broke right after around a year or so. Swiss have never disappointed me so I see no need for the 6.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #1130 on: October 08, 2023, 02:38:51 AM »
Never had a Bones Swiss bearing jam on me in any situation. Quantum Atoms, on the other hand, didn't last long, started jamming after an unreasonably short while, seems like they can't handle too much high-impact curb skating. My own fault for getting on the Quantum hype bandwagon I guess.

Nothing else than Bones Swiss here from now on.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1131 on: October 08, 2023, 02:58:06 AM »
Never had a Bones Swiss bearing jam on me in any situation. Quantum Atoms, on the other hand, didn't last long, started jamming after an unreasonably short while, seems like they can't handle too much high-impact curb skating. My own fault for getting on the Quantum hype bandwagon I guess.

I was a bearing cheapskate for a long time but Bones Swiss are worth the occasional splurge. Had some bad experiences with them in the past but fresh out of the box they are amazing, keen to see if they stand the test of time in the hot and humid tropics.

Quantum Metallics were great for the price and I would revisit them with some lube down the road.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • sup dog
« Reply #1132 on: October 08, 2023, 06:15:30 AM »
This thread reminds me of an old friend in high school that had a set of Bones Swiss, back when they were $30 (and that was considered expensive).

He would only clean them with WD-40 and after three years the balls had worn down small enough for them to fall out the track and onto the ground. (He ran them shieldless: said he liked the sound)

He would just keep skating them, even with a few balls missing… until we gave him a hard enough time for him to go buy another set.

The ceramics aren’t supposed to wear down like that since there’s no metal on metal grinding, but $160 is steep.

I rocked mini logo for two decades since they were 10-15 dollars, and I could clean them by popping off the shield easily… but when I bought Swiss three years ago, there was a very noticeable increase in speed. 

~$60 bucks for the Swiss is completely worth it if you clean them as instructed by Bones.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1133 on: October 08, 2023, 07:15:38 AM »

Myself and others in this thread have had Bones jam usually later in their life. For me personally it mostly happened with the 6, not the normal Bones.

My initial set of Atoms when they first dropped was quite bad. You can find my review of them somewhere on here but it wasn't positive. Quantum emailed me about the issues they found with that batch, what they did to correct, and sent me a new set of updated Atoms. I'm still using those although I've replaced the shields and they just passed 3 years and have been great.

I'm sorry your luck was shitty, but I'd give the warranty process a chance. I've had mostly good luck with skate gear but have had issues with both Venture and Thunder that were one-offs and I still love both trucks.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1134 on: October 08, 2023, 07:31:39 AM »
i super agree with the part about having problems with some products and continuing to like/ride/use said products. back in the featherlight era, those trucks would sometimes break, and i’d just buy another set, because that’s what i rode. ps stix wood has its very known problems, and it’ll always be my preferred. etc. on and on.
there was quantum hype, then a trusted skate shop nudged me in that direction. my experience wasn’t amazing, but not noteworthy to the bad side either. but. dude on here was a bit of a dick, rightly imo got called out for that. so it wasn’t like i had a long time of really enjoying the product, and then a blip. at this point i could have a bad set of swiss and still go back for multiple servings, even if those were bad, they’ve built up good credit. quantum guy not so much.
this ‘a few slap users’ comment is kinda funny.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #1135 on: October 08, 2023, 08:04:01 AM »
To whomever I was rude or snarky to.  And anyone who felt I was anything other than pleasant and helpful to them, I apologize.  It was never my intent.
  Anyone who knows either of us, with Quantum, will tell you we are the most approachable positive people you’ll meet.
  I think tone and intent are sometimes tough to “read” in text.

Once again, we appreciate anyone who’s tried our products, whether you had a bad experience or great experience.  We really are working hard.  And the positive has outweighed the negative by a million.

Take care, Slap Pals
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #1136 on: October 08, 2023, 08:06:40 AM »
And, as it’s been said,  anyone who’s had bad luck with any of our products, please reach out. 
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #1137 on: October 08, 2023, 09:04:22 AM »
Has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner to clean their bearings?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1138 on: October 08, 2023, 10:15:22 AM »
To whomever I was rude or snarky to.  And anyone who felt I was anything other than pleasant and helpful to them, I apologize.  It was never my intent.
  Anyone who knows either of us, with Quantum, will tell you we are the most approachable positive people you’ll meet.
  I think tone and intent are sometimes tough to “read” in text.

Once again, we appreciate anyone who’s tried our products, whether you had a bad experience or great experience.  We really are working hard.  And the positive has outweighed the negative by a million.

Take care, Slap Pals

i like some snark and attitude.
i’m fine with being told to fuck off (that’s not at all what happened, just saying).
i felt like ya’lls account was a bit rude, and a bit of a wuss. not a big deal. pick one i think is what i’m saying. but none of that is remotely important.

as to the bearings: mine don’t feel quite as fast as swiss, but they’ve lasted a lot longer than i thought they would (after an initial slow down, i thought the miracle sauce was some not long lasting grease) and were cheaper. i’d recommend them to someone wanting to try something different.
i mean who knows, as i’m checking this, my swiss 6 aren’t going so great today. i suck at skating, don’t need fast shit, i skate super slow and miss a bunch of flip tricks. i think that’s what messes up the bearings, of all types, for me

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1139 on: October 08, 2023, 10:53:34 AM »
They sell really well at the few local shops that carry them and the only hate I've seen them get are a few Slap posters, a few of which refused to reach out to their warranty service when they had an issue.

On the other hand my sets of Swiss 6 were the worst expensive bearings I've had. Jammed more than they should have, needed cleaning more often, cages broke right after around a year or so. Swiss have never disappointed me so I see no need for the 6.

What did Powell’s warranty department say?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021