Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 91901 times)

#alexander#

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #1170 on: October 20, 2023, 08:06:57 PM »
My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered some silicon nitride ceramic balls on eBay for like 13 dollars. I put em in some cheap modus black bearings I had in the parts box. Won’t really be able to skate till Sunday but felt nice and fast in the driveway.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #1171 on: October 21, 2023, 03:42:15 AM »
I also Frankensteined a set of bearings with ceramic balls. Never regretted it.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1172 on: October 21, 2023, 11:57:55 AM »
Excuse me if I may have missed it, but what is the advantage of ceramic balls in bearings?

As a kid I thought ceranic bearings are only for vert skating because there isn't as much impact as for street skating. Still have no idea to be honest.
IG: @flowterspace

#alexander#

« Reply #1173 on: October 21, 2023, 12:12:04 PM »
They are harder than steel bearings and generally a higher spec so they are more round and less likely to deform. Also since they are harder than the steel races in there the balls help keep the races in spec cause they “polish” them. Lower friction too.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #1174 on: October 21, 2023, 01:10:49 PM »
My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered some silicon nitride ceramic balls on eBay for like 13 dollars. I put em in some cheap modus black bearings I had in the parts box. Won’t really be able to skate till Sunday but felt nice and fast in the driveway.

Never thought of doing this, keep us updated please how these work for you. What oil are you using?

#alexander#

« Reply #1175 on: October 23, 2023, 02:27:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Never thought of doing this, keep us updated please how these work for you. What oil are you using?
I just used a random 3 in 1 oil. They seem nice and smooth, nothing life changing but for sure better than the bearings with the original balls, we’ll see how they hold up over time.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #1176 on: October 23, 2023, 02:32:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I just used a random 3 in 1 oil. They seem nice and smooth, nothing life changing but for sure better than the bearings with the original balls, we’ll see how they hold up over time.

damn thats fucking cool! let us know how it turns out!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #1177 on: October 28, 2023, 09:34:08 AM »
Update on my new, but already squeaky Quantum ceramics...

A few more sessions and now they are slow as hell. I have another set brand new in the box. Honestly don't even want to bother with em.

Got caught up in the hype on here when they were first getting going. Bought two sets of ceramics and a set of metallics for full price from their site like an idiot.

Maybe they are better now, but the 2 sets I've skated are not it.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1178 on: October 28, 2023, 10:21:41 AM »

A few more sessions and now they are slow as hell. I have another set brand new in the box. Honestly don't even want to bother with em.

Got caught up in the hype on here when they were first getting going. Bought two sets of ceramics and a set of metallics for full price from their site like an idiot.

i have the atoms, same kinda thing. (slowing).
but.
i took the shields off, i do not recommend that with bearings in general. i tried to clean them and re-lube using speed cream. sucked. re-cleaned them, no lube. the old hand spin test and they smoooooke all of my other swiss. under load, meaning my fat ass on the board, they aren’t as fast, but decent.

the dude will probably chime in here, with some advice.
i think cleaning em might help you.

i suck at cleaning bearings. i didn’t think mine should have needed to be cleaned, so early.
if i had to guess, the lube they used was great, for a short time.
the bearing g’s on here have some good recommendations for oil, and quantum bearing corp. may be more sensitive. wink.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #1179 on: October 28, 2023, 11:08:46 AM »
Yeah I know cleaning and relubing is the solution, but the shields aren't even visibly dirty. Still graphics on the wheels...

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #1180 on: October 28, 2023, 06:46:31 PM »

Definitely would like to help.  DM’d you.
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1181 on: October 28, 2023, 07:10:17 PM »

I've had my Atoms for 3 years, definitely not hype. Off Slap most people I know that have tried them have loved them. It sucks that happened and hopefully their warranty sorts you out.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1182 on: October 29, 2023, 06:00:00 AM »
Anyone know where Flowgressive bearings are made or how they skate? $50/set of ceramics. Brian Powderly and Rich Adler skate for them.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1183 on: October 29, 2023, 07:22:01 AM »
Anyone know where Flowgressive bearings are made or how they skate? $50/set of ceramics. Brian Powderly and Rich Adler skate for them.
Who?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #1184 on: October 29, 2023, 08:23:46 AM »

The bearings were purchased back in 2021/2022 and sat in the tin.

The oil lubricant has likely worn off and the bearings just need a drop of lube.  Probably not even a cleaning.

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1185 on: October 29, 2023, 08:45:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The bearings were purchased back in 2021/2022 and sat in the tin.

The oil lubricant has likely worn off and the bearings just need a drop of lube.  Probably not even a cleaning.

what’s your fave lube? as i’ve dribbled on and on about, my atoms have come back to life, but i’ve got em bone dry.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #1186 on: October 29, 2023, 10:21:57 AM »
Our ‘StackZ’ lubricant is what I recommend.  We make it in house. 

It’s designed to help prevent and to repair surface level imperfections that occur in bearings during manufacturing.
 Also deposits a nano-stack of materials across all the surfaces of the bearing.
 Those materials have a very high resistance to impact force and some of the lowest coefficients of friction.

It’s really good stuff.  On any bearing.

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1187 on: October 29, 2023, 10:42:38 AM »
Our ‘StackZ’ lubricant is what I recommend.  We make it in house. 

It’s designed to help prevent and to repair surface level imperfections that occur in bearings during manufacturing.
 Also deposits a nano-stack of materials across all the surfaces of the bearing.
 Those materials have a very high resistance to impact force and some of the lowest coefficients of friction.

It’s really good stuff.  On any bearing.

thank you for your time.
maybe this puts you in an uncomfortable spot: is there a non-house made product you like?
or possibly looser: would you characterize ya’lls lube as on the lighter side?
again, i get it if you need/want (for i’m sure good reasons, shit often works better with specifics….i could go one about some cocktail recipes that are better with specific alcohols), to just keep it on the company brand.
would you say the bearings need to be cleaned often, or lubed often?
mine were fast right away, faster than what i expect from what i consider to be the standard for a quality bearing (swiss), but then tailed off. i said some slick/rude comment about the quantum’s, and got correctly called out for it, which the. had me going back and cleaning them and giving them more run.
so i guess what i’m dancing around is: is it all the lube? once the lube goes the bearing slows?

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1188 on: November 09, 2023, 02:42:25 PM »
I'm running Bones Reds atm. Don't feel it's worth buying the more expensive versions.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1189 on: November 09, 2023, 05:46:42 PM »
i hate reds.
i like mini-logos quite a bit tho.

my dried out, shield less quantums are doing really well

evan.tuazon

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1190 on: November 09, 2023, 11:59:50 PM »
moded I mean modus bearings

with one drop. used to always drop three, thinking about dropping two next.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1191 on: November 10, 2023, 12:39:36 AM »
I just cleaned my Swiss 6 after a long while. Since I don't had any isopropyl alcohol or acetone I used just a citric based dishwasher + water (had to do it like 3 times to wash out the bubbles) and 1 speed cream drop per bearing. Now they feel great and skate like a dream.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1192 on: November 10, 2023, 02:56:00 AM »
i hate reds.

Interesting, what about Reds do you hate? I run them out of convenience, but I do find they don't keep their optimal speed as long as Bronsons or even Shake Junt bearings, and sometimes wonder to myself if they are overrated.

PeteP

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1193 on: November 26, 2023, 02:19:21 PM »
Just my 2 cents on Cortinas - stay the f away from them, these bearings are crap.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1194 on: November 26, 2023, 04:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
i hate reds.

[close]

Interesting, what about Reds do you hate? I run them out of convenience, but I do find they don't keep their optimal speed as long as Bronsons or even Shake Junt bearings, and sometimes wonder to myself if they are overrated.

Odd, Bronsons  have been significantly worse than Reds in maintaining optimal speed  & not seizing up each time I tried them. Shake Junt and Reds seem somewhat similar tho.

In terms of pricing, I don't think Reds are overrated at all. I've been happy just about every time I skate then.

Mini Logo?? Those bearings are dogshit though. The cheapest of cheap like their garbage trucks. Not worth your money or time to skate them unless you have no other options/money for other alternatives
Super Champion Fun Zone

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1195 on: November 26, 2023, 05:51:29 PM »
Just setup the Bronson G3 pro models that SWH has been trying to clear, so far so good. You could do much worse for a $16 bearing set.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • Get bent
« Reply #1196 on: November 26, 2023, 05:58:57 PM »
Here to talk about the new skf bearings again, still running strong 8 setups deep, cleaned them once since I’ve bought them, used sewing machine oil to lube them up afterwards, no side to side play in them at all, the tolerances are noticeable better I think than other bearings they don’t feel loose at all like reds do after an extended period of time, and the metal shields on the inside make for easy enough cleaning between wheel changes, really liking these bearing a whole lot, have been recommended them to everyone
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1197 on: November 26, 2023, 08:45:46 PM »
Here to talk about the new skf bearings again, still running strong 8 setups deep, cleaned them once since I’ve bought them, used sewing machine oil to lube them up afterwards, no side to side play in them at all, the tolerances are noticeable better I think than other bearings they don’t feel loose at all like reds do after an extended period of time, and the metal shields on the inside make for easy enough cleaning between wheel changes, really liking these bearing a whole lot, have been recommended them to everyone
I'm only three sessions into my set but so far so good! Easily the smoothest bearings I've ever had and agree that the tolerances seem great.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1198 on: November 27, 2023, 07:08:50 AM »

Not a skateboard bearing, but my friend has been riding the same SKF square taper bottom bracket on his bike for I think seven years now, of fairly regular use. That's basically unheard of for a component of this type.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -448
« Reply #1199 on: December 16, 2023, 09:17:21 AM »
Anyone else cop their first set of swiss ceramics for $88 at the skatewarehouse sale? Looking forward to trying them out.