Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 91952 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #1230 on: December 30, 2023, 06:40:29 PM »
Still in Rotation (I swap between a few sets of wheels depending on what I'm skating, i.e., crust, park, street, etc.):

2x sets of Swiss Six (had to buy a single from PP to fix a set)
Bronson Ceramics (one shield finally wonked out recently and the bearing got filthy, the rest are perfect; they give you extra shields, so cleaned and back to new)
Bronson Raws - still fast / loud
Race Reds (very infrequent use)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1231 on: December 30, 2023, 07:04:28 PM »
Still in Rotation (I swap between a few sets of wheels depending on what I'm skating, i.e., crust, park, street, etc.):

Bronson Ceramics (one shield finally wonked out recently and the bearing got filthy, the rest are perfect; they give you extra shields, so cleaned and back to new)

what’s your favorite?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1232 on: December 31, 2023, 07:54:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what’s your favorite?

If you use spacers Race Reds (which are super redz) are great, tho there are some 6 ball (longboard) options out there from Seismic...Zealous also makes a Ceramic Built-In Bearing that's only $34...I still have a regular set of zealous built-ins from like 10yrs ago and they're still rolling....built-ins are heavier than regs even with spacers.

Out of what I have, given the prices, Swiss6 at $52 is the way to go...but with regs swiss now at that new MSRP of $49.95...

I don't notice a difference running ceramics (surely if I skated bowls all the time I would), but at that price range, I would just dip for Bones Reds Ceramics (china) over bronson (also china); my bronsons were free and they are plenty fast...on par with the swiss six for sure.

Bronson Raws, no complaints, I just wanted to try them, they are nothing special....they're in that middle ground category (~$40) and at that price point you are probably better off nabbing some CCS inhouse ceramic at $44 and Daddies has a built in ceramic at $44 (zealous as well as noted above)...Modus at $70....all of them are clearly the same rebranded china ceramic bearing...

No reason to not spend a few bucks more in every price/bearing range and just get Bones...or off brand ceramics.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #1233 on: January 24, 2024, 12:30:40 PM »
Ace is making bearings

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #1234 on: January 24, 2024, 03:14:46 PM »

ggrimmedd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #1235 on: January 24, 2024, 03:33:16 PM »
Ace is making bearings

For a sec I doubted the quality, but ace been killing lately so...
:p

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1236 on: January 24, 2024, 03:33:58 PM »
It seems like Mesa is aiming to be a full service distributor in the skate industry. They will need a better board brand than Uma, though.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #1237 on: January 24, 2024, 10:37:46 PM »
It seems like Mesa is aiming to be a full service distributor in the skate industry. They will need a better board brand than Uma, though.

Would be cool to see Heroin switch it up and work with Mesa. Especially seeing Fos and the team riders tend to rock Ace and Pepper already.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1238 on: January 25, 2024, 12:32:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Ace is making bearings

[close]

For a sec I doubted the quality, but ace been killing lately so...
Why not? Indy bearings are pretty decent, I believe in Ace but no way I'm cheating on swiss.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

RT

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1239 on: January 25, 2024, 09:51:25 AM »
First post! Hey everyone.

Just found two unused sets of Bones Swiss packed away from literally 15-20 years ago. One Super 6 and the other a standard set of Bones Swiss. I loaded up the 6 set right away. I also found a bunch of my old Reds and Black Widows too, not to mention some sweet old Indys, Thunders, Destructos.... Felt like Christmas.

BubbaBobaFet

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1240 on: January 25, 2024, 10:03:56 AM »
Bones Swiss pop the shields and they're even faster - Allegedly

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1241 on: January 25, 2024, 11:22:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Would be cool to see Heroin switch it up and work with Mesa. Especially seeing Fos and the team riders tend to rock Ace and Pepper already.

Leave Baker Bros. for Mesa?

Riiiiiight

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1242 on: January 25, 2024, 11:33:22 AM »
I've been on bones reds for life. I usually rock new bearing with new wheels. Skate almost everyday. Wheels usually last me about a half a year. Usually more if i'm skating a bigger wheel. I've had a set last me a long ass time. And then I will get the random sets that are kind of shit. but most of the time they are hitting. And then I would have a set last me a month or two. I do no maintenance to my shit. Only other bearings i've tried are bronson g2's. Only skated one pair and had the back ones blow out on me. Went straight back to the reds.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 790
« Reply #1243 on: January 25, 2024, 11:36:54 AM »
Hard to beat Swiss 6 and Quantum but I'm all for some mid-range bearing options for budget times. Indy Blacks were good for that.

If these Ace bearings are on par with the old Indy Blacks... and are between $25 and $35... I'm down.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1244 on: January 25, 2024, 12:53:04 PM »

didn’t get to roll on it, but a friend of a friend showed up at the park very mesa’d out: uma, ace, pepper. guess he has a friend that is a rep or something and the guy gave him some stacks of stuff.
aaaaanyways, the board looked very nice. like a perfect band-aid shape, looked mellow.
i would have been down for sure, based off of the shape and concave

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1245 on: January 25, 2024, 12:55:00 PM »
Hard to beat Swiss 6 and Quantum but I'm all for some mid-range bearing options for budget times. Indy Blacks were good for that.

If these Ace bearings are on par with the old Indy Blacks... and are between $25 and $35... I'm down.

Given ACE's prices, I expect them to be at that $30-35 range.

Could be more since they're using a 'proprietary factory'

I'm all for it but do we need another bearing company?

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1246 on: January 25, 2024, 02:27:27 PM »
Running the same Swiss 6 I got almost 4 years ago. Mineral spirits, 99% iso, speed cream, and shields ON keep them right. Clean them every other board.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #1247 on: January 25, 2024, 03:02:08 PM »
I’m on my third month of SKF Oski’s.  Weird bearings. They aren’t slow but they have never broken in. Most bearings I’ve ever ridden get faster as they age , then they die.  These just spin at the same speed. They aren’t fast when spun on the wheel, but they don’t ride slow. Swedish madness.
I feel like these are the Toyota Camry of bearings. Nothing special but they are still going to be here 20 years from now, still spinning at one speed.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1248 on: January 25, 2024, 05:19:32 PM »
I’m on my third month of SKF Oski’s.  Weird bearings. They aren’t slow but they have never broken in. Most bearings I’ve ever ridden get faster as they age , then they die.  These just spin at the same speed. They aren’t fast when spun on the wheel, but they don’t ride slow. Swedish madness.
I feel like these are the Toyota Camry of bearings. Nothing special but they are still going to be here 20 years from now, still spinning at one speed.

i want these

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1249 on: January 25, 2024, 07:07:35 PM »
Square taper bottom bracket enthusiasts such as myself have long revered SKF. I haven’t fucked with their skate bearings but it’s unsurprising that they made the best and most durable option.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1250 on: January 25, 2024, 07:50:16 PM »
The Toyota Camry of bearings is such a great way of describing them. I’ve been riding a set for a little while now and they’re holding up great. By now any other bearing I’ve ridden would’ve been loud and rough sounding from stuff getting inside and spinning around but the SKFs are only slightly louder than they started at and still wonderfully smooth.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #1251 on: January 25, 2024, 11:24:04 PM »
Square taper bottom bracket enthusiasts such as myself have long revered SKF. I haven’t fucked with their skate bearings but it’s unsurprising that they made the best and most durable option.

According to Jan Heine, their smaller bearings are outsourced. Maybe they're like Powell and are particular with manufacturers and QC on cheap stuff.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1252 on: January 25, 2024, 11:51:39 PM »
Treated myself to a set of the basic SKF ones over xmas, swap them out when these G3s shit the bed
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #1253 on: January 26, 2024, 12:06:08 AM »
Been skating SKF for over 6 months. Better then Reds, Big balls, that tier bracket.
They have grease, hence why they seemingly roll slow, and need heat for them to roll the fastest.
But they roll so smooth, maintain their speed excellently.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1254 on: January 26, 2024, 04:33:10 AM »
if skf are as reliable as claimed, chalk me down for a set

running atoms and my tail/heel side wheel is slow
had em for a minute and they havent seen a cleaning yet
never fully taken apart a bearing but might go for it now
skf sounds great for any bearing thats seized beyond repair

but hopefully the quantums return to form after maintenance
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #1255 on: January 26, 2024, 04:44:52 AM »
I've had isotopes and atoms, both have seized on me in the past but have returned to brand new peak performance after a clean

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1256 on: January 26, 2024, 04:53:59 AM »
I've had isotopes and atoms, both have seized on me in the past but have returned to brand new peak performance after a clean
did you use quantum lube or bones speed cream?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #1257 on: January 26, 2024, 04:54:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

quantum lube allllll day, all my homies hate speed cream

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1258 on: January 26, 2024, 08:10:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

quantum lube allllll day, all my homies hate speed cream

ive used speed cream on quantums, but since i got the $60 ones i decided to get the lube they make.

[

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1259 on: January 26, 2024, 09:45:23 AM »

im glad they didn't make a whole new bearing brand. ace's quality seems to be on point the last few years so makes sense to  branch off ace versus making a whole new brand. and yeah would be cool to see another board brand join Mesa

[