Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 91822 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #1290 on: March 03, 2024, 06:48:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Bronson’s and Reds sound better shieldless, but my Swiss 6 got super squeaky and needed speed cream. I’d do it all over again though. They look better and still roll faster than cheap bearings. With how expensive living is in 2024, buying a $60 pair of bearings once a year is the least of my concerns. Everything doesn’t have to be practical. Especially in skateboarding. If something mentally bothers you, fix it.
[close]

This guy knows what’s up. Popped Swiss sounds cool, look cool and are cool. Do they need more regular cleaning and slow down quicker? Sure. Is it sensible? Probably not. But that’s a small price to pay for the pleasure of riding popped shields. Bones Swiss are still very good value for the lifespan. You wouldn’t use a tail saver to prolong your deck, and you’ll spend way more on decks than bearings. And once you pop, you won’t go back, so weird riding muffled Swiss after skating popped, no thanks.

Damn this Busenitz ad gets me thinking I should give Thunders and his shoe another go, both things I know don't work for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #1291 on: March 18, 2024, 08:48:47 AM »
was trying to restore this set of quantum isotopes- got the cleaning kit with the special lube but still no dice - they rolled good for a few days and then began to freeze up... over them :(

invested in a set of classic bones swiss that have never let me down.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #1292 on: March 18, 2024, 02:08:32 PM »
I presume you lubed the Isotopes? @fulfillthedream

I had a couple seize up but the lube worked wonders after a good spin and sesh.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1293 on: March 18, 2024, 02:44:08 PM »
I have G3 right now and my disappointment cannot be measured.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1294 on: March 18, 2024, 02:49:13 PM »

What you don't like about them and why are they bad? Genuine question. I never bought anything from Bronson and I think I mostly heard negative things about the bearings. At least one person told me, that Bronson Raws are good.
IG: @flowterspace

LeDave

• Rep: -15
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #1295 on: March 18, 2024, 03:33:41 PM »
Bones Reds and am content with it, I however never used any other bearings before though. I am unable to compare the Bones Reds with anything.

slaab900turbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #1296 on: March 18, 2024, 03:48:27 PM »
Reds. Picked up some Swiss on sale but have not set up yet.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1297 on: March 18, 2024, 09:00:24 PM »
Mini Logo only £5.00 cheapest bearings that I have ever owned and not bad. Heard from a reliable source that they are Reds with two shields.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1298 on: March 18, 2024, 09:28:38 PM »

White ceramic bones circa 2017. Since the moment I went ceramic I've known. I'm always going to prefer them to the standard.

All my ceramics go 8+ years. Shields are completely unnecessary I believe now too. They just get faster now.

Swiss. Rode them in moisture once. Never the same no matter how much I clean um.

I'm probably going to rip the shields off rn.

I can't find the post or remember the OP. Can we get an update on the $13 bag of ceramic 608s. Is it worth it so far?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1299 on: March 18, 2024, 09:33:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What you don't like about them and why are they bad? Genuine question. I never bought anything from Bronson and I think I mostly heard negative things about the bearings. At least one person told me, that Bronson Raws are good.

I've ridden raws. I enjoyed them for the hour or so. It's like a red.
Lot of homies ride the g3 but they buy regularly. They're young way less interested in limiting your waste and suff. They don't complain. They definitely notice how fast my shit is tho. They always say THOSE ARE VENTURES NOT ACES!  Or I don't understand how you can ride those wheels.

Virgins  ::)
(A)pl(E)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #1300 on: March 18, 2024, 09:39:21 PM »
I presume you lubed the Isotopes? @fulfillthedream

I had a couple seize up but the lube worked wonders after a good spin and sesh.

yeah i used that 99% alcohol and that lube. over my break i may try to resurrect them
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1301 on: March 19, 2024, 12:38:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're noticeable slower than swiss, I know that they need time to break in but still I don't think it will get that much better.
Shields are loose, feels like a damn pimp my ride car since when the wheel stops spinning the shield keeps on moving and for some reason that bothers the shit out of me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #1302 on: March 19, 2024, 12:40:45 AM »

Such overrated bearings. Better to use Bones Reds if you want to go with something inexpensive.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1303 on: March 19, 2024, 12:46:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Such overrated bearings. Better to use Bones Reds if you want to go with something inexpensive.
Only reason I got them is was because they were 50% but even like that they're not worth it.
My swiss 6 died and wanted to get some cheaper bearings in the meantime since I'm going on holidays and won't be skating + wanted to save money for it but wanted to get some sessions before that.
Update: just went back to the busted swiss 6 which are better than G3. Cages have multiple cracks on them so hopefully they won't give up on me soon, they just need to hold till pay day
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 02:02:03 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1304 on: March 20, 2024, 05:40:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Only reason I got them is was because they were 50% but even like that they're not worth it.
My swiss 6 died and wanted to get some cheaper bearings in the meantime since I'm going on holidays and won't be skating + wanted to save money for it but wanted to get some sessions before that.
Update: just went back to the busted swiss 6 which are better than G3. Cages have multiple cracks on them so hopefully they won't give up on me soon, they just need to hold till pay day

repeating myself here, but i use minilogos (had decent luck with cheapshots), or bones swiss (preferably swiss 6).
i don’t like reds. don’t like bronson.

i want to try skf.

when i need a cheap bearing, mini logos do what needs to be done, more than well enough.

vktrvghn

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1305 on: March 20, 2024, 07:49:50 AM »
Swiss are my go to but I have reds on most of my setups at the moment. What's the deal with popped shields then besides how they sound?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1306 on: March 20, 2024, 09:44:38 AM »
Swiss are my go to but I have reds on most of my setups at the moment. What's the deal with popped shields then besides how they sound?
Is a great way to make your bearings last less.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1307 on: March 23, 2024, 12:28:56 PM »
I was forced to clean my shit cuz everything got wet.

This is the inside of a ceramic bones. I bought them in 2017 used from a homie who was desperate for bread.

I tried to clean um once a year minimum. They've seen ever season since very few missed days.

Look at the track. It just st came out the acetone no polishing yet. Random selection.

As you can see the ceramic balls keep the track nice and clean. If you wanna save money definitely buy ceramic.

So worth it. I've had several metal sets die all the way on side boards in this time. I take much better Care of the metal ones too
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1308 on: March 23, 2024, 01:03:53 PM »

I show you my inside part
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1309 on: March 23, 2024, 01:26:59 PM »
One more example of awesome for the pals.

I know it's hard to see because of the Obama phone camera but I assure you there are zero deformed bearings in the cup.

Nothing but ceramics do that

Tools of the trade. thecup on the left has 3 pinholes on the edge of the top so I can squeeze transfer and recycle my acetone.

Example. The parts and scum stay in the squeeze cup. Fluid passes through easily without losing nothing

End result
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 01:41:51 PM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1310 on: March 23, 2024, 02:06:32 PM »

This Osiris symbol is bearing position 1 for reassembly
(A)pl(E)

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 466
« Reply #1311 on: March 24, 2024, 03:32:20 PM »
Got damn @Uncle Flea with the master class! Speed is the reward for dedication.

#alexander#

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1312 on: March 24, 2024, 07:25:45 PM »

I can't find the post or remember the OP. Can we get an update on the $13 bag of ceramic 608s. Is it worth it so far?

I think that would be me, I actually just cleaned the bearings for the first time today. I definitely think the claim that the balls polish the races is true they have been getting faster the more I skate them. I also found ceramic balls that will fit the six ball bones and it’s got me like… 🤔

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1313 on: March 24, 2024, 10:33:23 PM »
Bones Reds. Do the job for a decent price

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1314 on: March 24, 2024, 10:52:46 PM »
I've been running Quantum Atoms on my main setup for awhile now. I honestly don't even remember when I bought them, but even without regular maintenance, they're fast af and are easily the best bearings I've tried. Anyone have experience with the cheaper models (vectors/metallics)? The set of G3s I have in my slappy setup are finally starting to crap out and I'm wondering if it's worth spending extra for Atoms/Isotopes.

@bolts_the_snowman on IG

• Rep: -132
« Reply #1315 on: March 25, 2024, 09:36:13 AM »
A pair of reds in one wheel, a pair of shake hunts in another, a pair of Bronson G3’s in one and one shorty and on reds bearing on the fourth one. My bearings tend to explode every time

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1316 on: March 25, 2024, 12:56:42 PM »
I've been running Quantum Atoms on my main setup for awhile now. I honestly don't even remember when I bought them, but even without regular maintenance, they're fast af and are easily the best bearings I've tried. Anyone have experience with the cheaper models (vectors/metallics)? The set of G3s I have in my slappy setup are finally starting to crap out and I'm wondering if it's worth spending extra for Atoms/Isotopes.

I have a set of quantum metallics that I haven’t ridden a ton, they’re relegated to a back up set up, but they’re fine. My biggest complaint is that they seem to get a little dry and squeak. I just add some graphflo and that usually takes care of it.

If you can find a good price I say go for it, otherwise they aren’t necessarily worth the upcharge over reds or whatever else.

Love my atoms/isotopes though

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1317 on: March 25, 2024, 04:10:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think that would be me, I actually just cleaned the bearings for the first time today. I definitely think the claim that the balls polish the races is true they have been getting faster the more I skate them. I also found ceramic balls that will fit the six ball bones and it’s got me like… 🤔

Hell yeah. I'm betting that they will fit anything but raws.

608s pretty standard.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1318 on: March 25, 2024, 04:14:16 PM »
A pair of reds in one wheel, a pair of shake hunts in another, a pair of Bronson G3’s in one and one shorty and on reds bearing on the fourth one. My bearings tend to explode every time

Gotta maybe get some swiss cages. I'm pretty sure that's why they cost more. Those cages are anti explosion as the cup the balls much firmer.
(A)pl(E)

JimmyFive

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1319 on: March 25, 2024, 07:07:29 PM »
I used to go through all that hassle cleaning bearings but now I just use the Bones bearing cleaner. It's much more efficient IMO. I'm sure I used to scratch up my bearings pulling them to pieces.

For me Bronson G3's have been fast and totally serviceable. Bones Swiss are still going at 2 years bar one bearing that occasionally seizes. Quantum Atoms have been great, super fast but I can't get used to the noise they make. My fave at the moment is actually Modus Blue! Once the grease breaks in (I used some lighter oil to help it along) they are very smooth and very fast.