Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 91871 times)

Gruenetuer and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

JimmyFive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #1320 on: March 26, 2024, 02:05:25 AM »
Expand Quote
A pair of reds in one wheel, a pair of shake hunts in another, a pair of Bronson G3’s in one and one shorty and on reds bearing on the fourth one. My bearings tend to explode every time
[close]

Gotta maybe get some swiss cages. I'm pretty sure that's why they cost more. Those cages are anti explosion as the cup the balls much firmer.

Interesting. I know SKF make fibreglass reinforced retainers for their skate and "stuntmaster" inline bearings -perhaps Bones have a similarly enforced cage for their Swiss range as opposed to the usual nylon retainers?

corey websturd

« Reply #1321 on: March 30, 2024, 01:43:18 AM »
Bronson Raws are the best to me despite the noise they produce.But at least people hear you comming from behind.

JimmyFive

« Reply #1322 on: April 04, 2024, 09:16:11 PM »
Bronson Raws are the best to me despite the noise they produce.But at least people hear you comming from behind.

How long have you been running the Raws? Lots of ppl love them, I just cant get my head around a shieldless bearing. I guess a shield adds friction but surely the balls and races will get nicked up by debris and the bearings will fail faster than otherwise?

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #1323 on: April 04, 2024, 10:17:25 PM »
is the quantum lube supposed to be black? had two sets of isotopes and theyre kinda mid. havent had swiss but been thinking bout em lately

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1324 on: April 04, 2024, 10:23:44 PM »
I used to go through all that hassle cleaning bearings but now I just use the Bones bearing cleaner. It's much more efficient IMO. I'm sure I used to scratch up my bearings pulling them to pieces.

For me Bronson G3's have been fast and totally serviceable. Bones Swiss are still going at 2 years bar one bearing that occasionally seizes. Quantum Atoms have been great, super fast but I can't get used to the noise they make. My fave at the moment is actually Modus Blue! Once the grease breaks in (I used some lighter oil to help it along) they are very smooth and very fast.

My bearings get mad hair in um. Especially cat hair. Probably because I like to stand on my board in the house.

I tried just building a shake cup. I gotta full tear apart. I can't help it. It takes way less cleaner too.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1325 on: April 04, 2024, 10:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A pair of reds in one wheel, a pair of shake hunts in another, a pair of Bronson G3’s in one and one shorty and on reds bearing on the fourth one. My bearings tend to explode every time
[close]

Gotta maybe get some swiss cages. I'm pretty sure that's why they cost more. Those cages are anti explosion as the cup the balls much firmer.
[close]

Interesting. I know SKF make fibreglass reinforced retainers for their skate and "stuntmaster" inline bearings -perhaps Bones have a similarly enforced cage for their Swiss range as opposed to the usual nylon retainers?

I think the cages are just beefier. They definitely keep a tighter tolerance after tearing them down. Way harder to pop out too.
(A)pl(E)

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #1326 on: April 05, 2024, 12:00:13 AM »
Anyone have deetz on real-life comparison between SKF and Bones Swiss? I know e.g. Oski rides SKF so they can't be all that shitty. Made in Italy, too.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1327 on: April 05, 2024, 03:01:43 AM »
Anyone have deetz on real-life comparison between SKF and Bones Swiss? I know e.g. Oski rides SKF so they can't be all that shitty. Made in Italy, too.
At the end 99% of pros skate Swiss no matter who their bearing sponsor is.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1328 on: April 05, 2024, 09:14:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
At the end 99% of pros skate Swiss no matter who their bearing sponsor is.

I prefer Bones Swiss but all of the team riders I know that skate for Bronson (pro and Am) use and swear by Raws. I was gifted some sets that I will try out the next time my Swiss 6 are due for service. Getting use to the sound will probably be the biggest difference. I have never ridded bearings without shields on.
How much for an order of ribs?

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • Get bent
« Reply #1329 on: April 06, 2024, 09:01:31 AM »

Couple pages back I and several other people were talking about them, someone called them the Toyota Corolla of bearings, and I feel like that’s a good comparison, they are solid, and when you break them in they roll fine, Swiss has a feverish following and I’m sure if I said they were anything like the almighty I’d end up get kooked into oblivion, currently going through ACL rehab but before I got hurt I had the normal green skf on my setup and they’ve been going strong for about 8 setups before that, I’d say pull the trigger, they have a heavy grease and I left the shields on but they definitely last forever and have no side to side play
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
« Reply #1330 on: April 07, 2024, 04:14:13 AM »
i have a 100 eurobucks gift card to burn and i finally want to treat myself with some quality bearings for once, after running countless of bones reds over the last 20 years. so i need some intel from you bearing heads: which ones would you choose: Bones Swiss 7 Balls or Bones Super Swiss 6 Balls, or does it not make any difference and i should stay on my true and tested reds and spend the money on some other shit. any insights are highly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 04:25:55 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

input

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1331 on: April 07, 2024, 04:53:57 AM »
My quantum isotopes are finally starting to break down after about 14 months of use. The failure point for every bearing has been the shields slowly tearing off, causing slow down or the occasional seeze. Going to just go shieldless now and see how much longer theyll last, but been really happy with the product and will probably re-order them if i find a UK stockist

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1332 on: April 07, 2024, 07:08:52 AM »
i have a 100 eurobucks gift card to burn and i finally want to treat myself with some quality bearings for once, after running countless of bones reds over the last 20 years. so i need some intel from you bearing heads: which ones would you choose: Bones Swiss 7 Balls or Bones Super Swiss 6 Balls, or does it not make any difference and i should stay on my true and tested reds and spend the money on some other shit. any insights are highly appreciated.
I said it countless times and I'll never change it: Swiss 6
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #1333 on: April 07, 2024, 10:59:13 AM »

Swiss 6. They’re super fast and last forever

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #1334 on: April 07, 2024, 05:35:45 PM »
I've had Swiss 6 ball for like a decade. Granted I don't skate 1/10 as much but clean them once a year and they have been money.

bombsaway86

« Reply #1335 on: April 07, 2024, 08:37:36 PM »
I've had Swiss 6 ball for like a decade. Granted I don't skate 1/10 as much but clean them once a year and they have been money.

I have a set of Swiss 6 from 2006. One bearing died around 2018, so I bought a new set and kept the old set for backup. I’ve probably replaced another 3 since then, so at least 3 of the bearings on my main setup are like 18 years old now. I clean them 2-3 times a year and pretty much only skate parks so I’m not terribly hard on them. They get better with age, they’re still so fast and smooth. I’d like to try ceramics, they’d probably live longer than me

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1336 on: April 07, 2024, 08:55:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a set of Swiss 6 from 2006. One bearing died around 2018, so I bought a new set and kept the old set for backup. I’ve probably replaced another 3 since then, so at least 3 of the bearings on my main setup are like 18 years old now. I clean them 2-3 times a year and pretty much only skate parks so I’m not terribly hard on them. They get better with age, they’re still so fast and smooth. I’d like to try ceramics, they’d probably live longer than me

I am curious about the swiss 6 tho. I'd like to throw ceramic balls in a 6 ball race. That might be sick

Def be stronger.
(A)pl(E)

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1337 on: April 07, 2024, 09:19:33 PM »
I'm still running Modus Titanium's from 3 years ago. Will get more once these are toast for sure.

JimmyFive

« Reply #1338 on: April 07, 2024, 09:36:22 PM »
is the quantum lube supposed to be black? had two sets of isotopes and theyre kinda mid. havent had swiss but been thinking bout em lately

Yes - the lube is a graphite infused oil. The black stuff is the graphite. It's supposed to fill in asperirities in the balls and race. You have to shake the bottle up a bit before use to disperse it evenly.

It's good stuff - My special sauce is a mix of this and LGLT grease.

JimmyFive

« Reply #1339 on: April 07, 2024, 09:39:51 PM »
Expand Quote
I used to go through all that hassle cleaning bearings but now I just use the Bones bearing cleaner. It's much more efficient IMO. I'm sure I used to scratch up my bearings pulling them to pieces.

For me Bronson G3's have been fast and totally serviceable. Bones Swiss are still going at 2 years bar one bearing that occasionally seizes. Quantum Atoms have been great, super fast but I can't get used to the noise they make. My fave at the moment is actually Modus Blue! Once the grease breaks in (I used some lighter oil to help it along) they are very smooth and very fast.
[close]

My bearings get mad hair in um. Especially cat hair. Probably because I like to stand on my board in the house.

I tried just building a shake cup. I gotta full tear apart. I can't help it. It takes way less cleaner too.

I tried building one too but it's just easier with the Bones setup.. Do what you have to do man - cleaning bearings is a bit of a ritual for me too. I reuse the Acetone that I use in the bearings cleaner for the next first wash.

JimmyFive

« Reply #1340 on: April 07, 2024, 09:53:52 PM »
I'm still running Modus Titanium's from 3 years ago. Will get more once these are toast for sure.

Modus make a good product for sure. I think they might use the same or very similar grease that SKF use in their bearings. The grease seems to protect the bearing a lot more than a thin oil. Takes a bit to "heat up" though and it muffles and dulls the sound/feedback from your wheels/bearings.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
« Reply #1341 on: April 10, 2024, 01:28:38 AM »
alright thanks guys for the input regarding bones bearings. so i'm gonna try those bones swiss six balls. i'm curious

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1342 on: April 10, 2024, 02:07:45 AM »
alright thanks guys for the input regarding bones bearings. so i'm gonna try those bones swiss six balls. i'm curious
You'll be super happy
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Bandee

« Reply #1343 on: April 10, 2024, 06:13:18 AM »
got some reds to put in my main set of wheels and moved my bronson g3’s into my set of oj mini super juices. I think they feel better, I never really had any problems with my g3’s compared to some of the stories i’ve read on here. if anything they kinda feel on par with eachother, time will tell tho.

LeDave

• Rep: -14
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #1344 on: April 10, 2024, 06:23:06 AM »
Using Bronson G3 and they are OK so far. Time will tell. I used to use Bones Red, again with time, I will compare the two once I use these G3 more.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1345 on: April 10, 2024, 07:45:44 AM »

Last Sunday I put together some 99 53mm Tablets on new Swiss 6. Couldn't be happier.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1346 on: April 10, 2024, 02:19:31 PM »
I just got a set of Bones Swiss Ceramics for the hell of it. Always wanted a set and had some Amazon points, so figured I'd treat myself to something nice. They're way overkill for my ability, but hopefully they'll be really fast and last a long time. I've been riding Super Swiss 6 for years, so I'll be curious to see how they compare.

bombsaway86

« Reply #1347 on: April 10, 2024, 10:47:07 PM »
I just got a set of Bones Swiss Ceramics for the hell of it. Always wanted a set and had some Amazon points, so figured I'd treat myself to something nice. They're way overkill for my ability, but hopefully they'll be really fast and last a long time. I've been riding Super Swiss 6 for years, so I'll be curious to see how they compare.
Very interested to hear how the two compare. I’ve been tempted to buy a set lately

Goggzy60

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1348 on: April 11, 2024, 03:51:12 PM »
Are Andale still a thing seen a few skate shops in the uk have the andale swiss at around bones reds price wouldn’t mind comparing a set to my bones Swiss

JimmyFive

« Reply #1349 on: April 11, 2024, 05:31:33 PM »
Are Andale still a thing seen a few skate shops in the uk have the andale swiss at around bones reds price wouldn’t mind comparing a set to my bones Swiss

They're not great bearings. The "Swiss" are made in China. I'd recommend Modus over Andale any day.