Author Topic: Jenkem - Signs You Were a Late 2000s Skater  (Read 19685 times)

dirtyweemidden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
Re: Jenkem - Signs You Were a Late 2000s Skater
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I tried Lipslide 5-0s for a while until I landed a couple and stopped doing them. Did a few boardslide 50-50s too,while a buddy was learning them I quit that shit and he kept it up with any and every shuv-it out. Fully Flared got fuckers all into combos again, frontboard to front crook was the "show off" one I'd see a lot,even though it isn't too hard to do. Sort of glad it's over and I don't have to see a two page spread sequence of T-Puds flailing about.
[close]

how do you do a front board to front crook? it seems too hard to do, let alone make it look good.
[close]
The guy I saw do em' had quick feet. Front foot on the nose when you stop sliding to sort of do this weird pop/jerk/drag into a front crook, I figured if I just tried to get into a willy grind but shift all my weight on the nose I would lock in. It's fun on a curb when you're alone.
[close]
Wait hold up, this is a legitimately fucked up trick. At first I thought you were talking about the wack ass front board to nosegrind dink that some people do (think Paul Shier), but to turn a front board on ledge into a front crook is the most counter-intuitive variation I can think of. Coming from a guy who does front 5-0 boardslides and thinks they're sick (which they are)

On that note, if you front lipslide a ledge ever (along with most rails), you are most definitely a shrimp
[close]

Wtf are you talking about? Bad comment.  SAD!
[close]

So you're the cretin that's responsible for the local ledge having an entire layer of wax caked on top. Everyone is so bummed on you, dude

WTF front lips are the most fun ledge trick by miles! waxing the top of the ledge is a bitch move though. go fast and wake demons with your wheel screech

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2018, 12:25:02 PM »

headphones,

white t under black t, the edge visible

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I tried Lipslide 5-0s for a while until I landed a couple and stopped doing them. Did a few boardslide 50-50s too,while a buddy was learning them I quit that shit and he kept it up with any and every shuv-it out. Fully Flared got fuckers all into combos again, frontboard to front crook was the "show off" one I'd see a lot,even though it isn't too hard to do. Sort of glad it's over and I don't have to see a two page spread sequence of T-Puds flailing about.
[close]

how do you do a front board to front crook? it seems too hard to do, let alone make it look good.
[close]
The guy I saw do em' had quick feet. Front foot on the nose when you stop sliding to sort of do this weird pop/jerk/drag into a front crook, I figured if I just tried to get into a willy grind but shift all my weight on the nose I would lock in. It's fun on a curb when you're alone.
[close]
Wait hold up, this is a legitimately fucked up trick. At first I thought you were talking about the wack ass front board to nosegrind dink that some people do (think Paul Shier), but to turn a front board on ledge into a front crook is the most counter-intuitive variation I can think of. Coming from a guy who does front 5-0 boardslides and thinks they're sick (which they are)

On that note, if you front lipslide a ledge ever (along with most rails), you are most definitely a shrimp
[close]

[close]

So you're the cretin that's responsible for the local ledge having an entire layer of wax caked on top. Everyone is so bummed on you, dude
[close]

WTF front lips are the most fun ledge trick by miles! waxing the top of the ledge is a bitch move though. go fast and wake demons with your wheel screech

You should try to blunt slide unwaxed ledges and see how that works  8)
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2018, 09:52:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

been there, done that, got the flatspots  haha

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2018, 10:35:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Lipslides don't necessarily require extra wax. Do you think people who powerslide down hills wax the ground?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 886
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2018, 10:46:43 AM »
A ledge lipslide is so much more satisfying when you go up to it mach 10. Idk, I don't like waxing shit unless it's completely necessary.

Jacob Gary

« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you squiggle your tail your wheels will move back and fourth and you won't flat spot, plus you don't have to wax the ledge which is way doper.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2018, 11:35:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lipslides don't necessarily require extra wax. Do you think people who powerslide down hills wax the ground?

To play devil's advocate, I would say that most ledges aren't made out of smooth asphalt.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you squiggle your tail your wheels will move back and fourth and you won't flat spot, plus you don't have to wax the ledge which is way doper.

I've seen people get away with some really screechy unwaxed blunt/board/lipslides at Flushing Meadows, all of them implemented the little unwaxed shuffle you just mentioned. It was definitely a thing of glory...

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

To play devil's advocate, I would say that most ledges aren't made out of smooth asphalt.
Neither are most streets.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Yeah dog but the key is that you are going downhill which gives you more speed. Not saying that you cant do a lengthy powerslide on a flat street but you have to be going fast. Hence the waxing of the ledges.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Yeah dog but the key is that you are going downhill which gives you more speed. Not saying that you cant do a lengthy powerslide on a flat street but you have to be going fast. Hence the waxing of the ledges.

Yeah...its totally impossible to go fast when you do a lipslide. Sorry, forgot. My fault.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »
can’t believe there’s a discussion this long about front side lip slides
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2018, 05:25:21 PM »
Like backside lipslides don't exist

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Like backside lipslides don't exist

Backside lip is like the superior older brother that isn't around much, but when he does he shuts shit down.
bs lips on ledges are sick.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2018, 05:34:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Yeah...its totally impossible to go fast when you do a lipslide. Sorry, forgot. My fault.

Yeah... I forgot you live in California, while I live on the east coast where you're lucky if a select few streets allow you to powerslide more than a few inches. Sorry, forgot. My fault.

See? I can be a condescending old man too  8)

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2018, 09:42:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Yeah but it is easier to slide on a downhill powerslide than on a lipslide without wax. Thats where my argument was directed at. Obviously wax is not 100% necessary but it will definitely help especially if you want to slide a long distance.

PERM-KOOK

• Rep: 46
« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2018, 09:59:55 PM »
Am I the only one that waxes my local hill?

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2018, 12:19:31 AM »
I don't know, which hill is your local one?

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2018, 02:42:20 PM »
The cutoff tight kr3w pants era is horrible to look back on, and I myself participated

Honestly, being 14-22 and dressing like a complete dickhead while thinking you look cool is a really important part of being a skateboarder.  Regrettable trends are always fun to look back on.

For me it was ‘03ish with my baggy jeans tucked just so behind the tongues of my ipath grasshoppers or Kenny reeds.  Also, one t shirt would never do.  Had to be two and the one one under the other one had to poke out a bit at the bottom,

zzz

« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »
I used to wear double shirts so my nipples wouldnt show.

SOTY

« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
A good sign is your metabolism starting to slow down drastically.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:39:39 PM by SOTY »

PERM-KOOK

• Rep: 46
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2018, 04:12:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't know, which hill is your local one?

We call it Melissa McCarthy.

AllBranFlakes69

• Rep: 1
  • Make fibre your friend
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2018, 07:18:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Started my skate journey at the ripe old age of 1999. Glad I was never suckered into any of these heinous trends.
[close]

Damn, you’re old
[close]

Twenty six
[close]

Reread what you originally wrote to get the joke
[close]
No, it is funnier this way.
[close]
My dumbass fell for it

<3 u guys

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2018, 07:22:29 PM »
I front lip ledges because I suck at rails and can only front 5-o bash them. I just picture busenitz and Rowley and somehow I end up all crooked, teetering on just the center of my board like I'm on a handrail until the end where I touch the back wheels down for the pop out. I always get complements on it but it's not one I really pull out often. I wish I could back lip but something about it just tells me i would get buckled
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"