Author Topic: Skateboarding conspiracies thread  (Read 174618 times)

ndsr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skateboarding conspiracies thread
« Reply #1020 on: August 08, 2021, 04:45:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Powerslide contests were designed by the system to get gaggle's of skaters to collectively and voluntarily give themselves flatspots while only a single winner gets a free set of wheels.
[close]
Powerslide contests? Is that a thing?
Hopefully just in SF

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1021 on: August 24, 2021, 03:00:30 PM »
Big skateboard is intentionally avoiding true symmetrical deck shapes so they don't last twice as long.

Based and woke.

Came in here to say this but searched it just in case. You're absolutely right. Not just decks but trucks and wheels all wear unevenly too and need to be replaced more often. Why would a popsicle shape have a "nose" and a "tail" anyway? Doesn't make sense. And notice even now with the higher demand for symmetrical shapes there are pitiful few to choose from. Skaters demand more twin tail options. I just started skating my first one and I don't think I'm ever going back to asymmetrical popsicles.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #1022 on: August 24, 2021, 03:05:10 PM »

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #1023 on: August 28, 2021, 02:38:24 PM »
if/ when leticia and felipe gustabo have kids, it will be the new brazillion skate god, a.k.a chosen one. 
big texas cummer

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #1024 on: August 28, 2021, 02:46:46 PM »
if/ when leticia and felipe gustabo have kids, it will be the new brazillion skate god, a.k.a chosen one.
With those genes, that baby gonna do the world's slowest lipslides
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

xX_420_Blaze_It_Xx

• Rep: -14
« Reply #1025 on: August 28, 2021, 11:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Big skateboard is intentionally avoiding true symmetrical deck shapes so they don't last twice as long.
[close]

Based and woke.

Came in here to say this but searched it just in case. You're absolutely right. Not just decks but trucks and wheels all wear unevenly too and need to be replaced more often. Why would a popsicle shape have a "nose" and a "tail" anyway? Doesn't make sense. And notice even now with the higher demand for symmetrical shapes there are pitiful few to choose from. Skaters demand more twin tail options. I just started skating my first one and I don't think I'm ever going back to asymmetrical popsicles.

I skate with tight trucks in the back and looser In the front. So even if I have perfectly symmetrical board there is still a true forward. The only difference that a symmetrical board makes is just clunky ollies with a big tail or harder noslides with a small nose.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #1026 on: August 29, 2021, 12:24:09 AM »
Steve Berra knows where the corps of Shelly Miscavige is hidden.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

justmy5cent

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1027 on: August 29, 2021, 12:59:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Based and woke.

you guys have a good point here. I think for every skater starting after like mid 90s or something, it would have been better to skate symetrical shapes, because why should it be better to have a longer nose when switch skating is already a thing? That doesn't make sense. I think it came from the noselides/ grinds on rails, because at that time rarely anybody was thinking of doing that shit switch. And for the industry keeping those shapes, is probably understandable because, like you said, the board doesn't last that long when you just ollie with only one side of your board.

Tony Hawk was the only one, I think, having a double tail board in the early 90s. But even he went back to "normal" shapes after that.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1028 on: August 29, 2021, 02:21:15 AM »
I still want a Gerwer anti hero twin nose
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1029 on: August 29, 2021, 02:28:11 AM »
Everyone wanting twin tails is utter madness to me, twin noses are what should be in demand.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1030 on: August 29, 2021, 03:20:14 AM »
What about a board that is symmetrical concave and dimensions wise but one end is kinda square-ish and the other kinda rounder/pointy-ish

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1031 on: August 29, 2021, 03:38:53 AM »
What about a board that is symmetrical concave and dimensions wise but one end is kinda square-ish and the other kinda rounder/pointy-ish
Sounds like a freestyle deck.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1032 on: August 29, 2021, 02:11:20 PM »
am I the only one who likes the way boards are shaped? I feel like with a small nose a LOT of my nollie tricks go to shit cuz of ghost pop and with a long tail my tricks are too responsive (cant get a big fat pop like I want to)

Plus with a pointier tail I feel like I can "maneuver" into a tail slide better and with a fatter nose I can stand on a noseslide/feel out a crook to pop out well (which seems like the hardest part about both tricks)

The only thing I fucking hate is how some noses are WAY steeper than tails (either cuz of fewer fingers of flat or being steeper purposely)

Lin Thizzy

• Rep: 86
« Reply #1033 on: October 19, 2021, 08:06:52 AM »
The brothers responsible for the nipple pinching poster of Jabber Easton at Tampa Pro this year are actually on Borra's paryroll. The poster,  backlash by Borra, and subsequent rebuttal by the poster brothers was all a premeditated guise to grandstand and garner attention to Borra and Cariumba shoes.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #1034 on: October 19, 2021, 08:11:35 AM »
Steve Berra knows where the corps of Shelly Miscavige is hidden.
I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat or anything, but I'm pretty sure Shelly Miscavige's mother didn't die by suicide.

“The gunshot wound of the head was immediately fatal and occurred following the 3 gunshot wounds to the chest,” reads the autopsy report.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1035 on: October 19, 2021, 08:32:40 AM »
Just watched Ben degross new vid and this came to mind.( Soz if it's been said before)
Not really a conspiracy so much but big pants small wheels was purely companies saving money and had nothing to do with fashion or progression. The pressure flips and grind combos were just marketing.
Baggy pants might seem like they wouldn't be cheaper but it's the about same amount of raw material, just with less offcuts and the work can be considerably more sloppy. Noone could even tell if one leg of their clown pants is an inch bigger than the other especially when their cutting them to length themselves.

Same goes for early 2000s where every board was a 7.5 or 7.75 it was just about mass production not because it's easier to do flips etc.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #1036 on: October 19, 2021, 08:36:23 AM »
Just watched Ben degross new vid and this came to mind.( Soz if it's been said before)
Not really a conspiracy so much but big pants small wheels was purely companies saving money and had nothing to do with fashion or progression. The pressure flips and grind combos were just marketing.
Baggy pants might seem like they wouldn't be cheaper but it's the about same amount of raw material, just with less offcuts and the work can be considerably more sloppy. Noone could even tell if one leg of their clown pants is an inch bigger than the other especially when their cutting them to length themselves.

Same goes for early 2000s where every board was a 7.5 or 7.75 it was just about mass production not because it's easier to do flips etc.

But it is easier to do flips

And we werent skating as much big shit back then. It was more ledge/flip orientated
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #1037 on: October 19, 2021, 08:46:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And we werent skating as much big shit back then. It was more ledge/flip orientated
All those freestyle boards Mullen was using were 7.25. I set up a Welinder re-issue for my daughter and it's hard not to double flip.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1038 on: October 19, 2021, 08:47:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah it is but that came after. It's easier to do pressure flips and grind combos on tiny wheels but that's a positive thing they thought of to market it instead of just saying we want to save money on production.
It's kinda like mouthwash. Before they marketed it as mouthwash it was just a liquid that killed bacterial but the producers didn't know what an actual practical use for it was. It was very nearly used as a cleaning product before they figured the could market it to solve bad breath.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #1039 on: October 19, 2021, 09:24:19 AM »
Cody McEntire is actually an undercover cop.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1040 on: October 19, 2021, 09:09:40 PM »
Carlos threw that fucking game

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1041 on: October 19, 2021, 09:59:02 PM »
Koston never had $100 in his wallet.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1042 on: March 16, 2022, 01:16:27 PM »
The guy who stole Koston’s wallet started skateboarding and was seen skating with the GX1000 dudes.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #1043 on: March 16, 2022, 02:03:38 PM »
Austyn and Elijah are secretly BFF's and smart business partners. And the "beef" they created is just to keep themselves relevant and their sponsors happy.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1044 on: June 22, 2022, 01:20:30 PM »
I think Tom Penny is secretly bald.

work_lurker

• Rep: 70
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1045 on: June 22, 2022, 01:28:48 PM »
THPS came out before Tony was actually pro, and when Powell saw how well it was selling they started Birdhouse and made Tony the poster child/first pro. That's also how the story line for THUG was developed. Eric Sparrow is actually Tony Hawk's alias.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -439
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1046 on: June 25, 2023, 07:40:52 AM »
So a guy named Salman….. skated for a company named Real……. think about it and you might say “Agah!”