Author Topic: Why do we put up with this shit?  (Read 10478 times)

sfa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Why do we put up with this shit?
« on: May 10, 2018, 04:18:06 PM »
We as skaters have shifted the planet in terms of fashion and music on more that one occasion. We have power.

So, why are we putting up with brands who's owners completely fuck over their friends that got them to where they are? Why do we deal with brands who's owners hit women? Why do we allow pro's among our ranks who hit women?
Why do we allow brands that take from skating but don't give back, just because uneducated kids like them on youtube? Why do we allow brands to put out retro shoes glorifying men who commit hate crimes? Why?

There are so many great brands and skaters out there, why are we simply not shunning the shitty few?

I need a coffee

Zumiez And Xanax

Re: Why do we put up with this shit?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
kids keep the industry alive

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 04:27:19 PM »
i do my part by spending my money locally and on brands that i really care about .. speak for yourself

it’s like recycling: i do it with the materials i consume but am i making an impact in the big picture? im asking cuz i don’t really know

confession: i bought a twin peaks habitat board but that was because of lynch
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »
Why do they still sell Gator boards?
https://selectskateshop.com/collections/vision-decks-1

bawtawdreloaded

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
I don't buy shit

bawtawdreloaded

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 04:48:23 PM »
If you wanna stop people you gotta kill em or out do em

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 04:50:27 PM »
Personally I don't. I never like ripndip anyway, but after hearing about they guy beating women I threw away any stickers I had. I would love to support Nora, and I think Welcome has some cool shit, but I can't bring myself to buying anything because of how shitty that dude is. I do my part to vote with my dollar in the skate world but like straight said about recycling*, does it really make a difference?

*Regardless of if it does or doesn't, I can't live with myself if I don't act in an environmentally ethical way. That's just, like, my opinion.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

bawtawdreloaded

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 05:18:03 PM »
I want a more fluid market, I think its heading that way, with internet things evolve faster which means things live and die quickly. The companys who have created a solid institution from the past are trying to hold on, nothing wrong with that, but you will fail eventually. My goal would be to create a company, get traction, drop video, sell product until sales decrease, then sell company and wash my hands and start all over again. My goal would be a new company every two years. Like little bombs taking out old foundation all over the place. I don't know what I'm talking about I'm on drugs, I would have to write a few pages to thoroughly explain a new world skate order. But yeah I don't really care as long as you make good product even if you killed people. Its either you gotta join the industry gang or start your own gang, I would start my own gang and if industry gang wants to go to war lets do it bitch. Gang war nigga ain't no peace in business hoe. Brrrat brrrat

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
I want a more fluid market, I think its heading that way, with internet things evolve faster which means things live and die quickly. The companys who have created a solid institution from the past are trying to hold on, nothing wrong with that, but you will fail eventually. My goal would be to create a company, get traction, drop video, sell product until sales decrease, then sell company and wash my hands and start all over again. My goal would be a new company every two years. Like little bombs taking out old foundation all over the place. I don't know what I'm talking about I'm on drugs, I would have to write a few pages to thoroughly explain a new world skate order. But yeah I don't really care as long as you make good product even if you killed people. Its either you gotta join the industry gang or start your own gang, I would start my own gang and if industry gang wants to go to war lets do it bitch. Gang war nigga ain't no peace in business hoe. Brrrat brrrat

Mero is that you?

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »
We as skaters have shifted the planet in terms of fashion and music on more that one occasion. We have power.

So, why are we putting up with brands who's owners completely fuck over their friends that got them to where they are? Why do we deal with brands who's owners hit women? Why do we allow pro's among our ranks who hit women?
Why do we allow brands that take from skating but don't give back, just because uneducated kids like them on youtube? Why do we allow brands to put out retro shoes glorifying men who commit hate crimes? Why?

There are so many great brands and skaters out there, why are we simply not shunning the shitty few?

I think because marketing is powerful and SLAP is not as big in the industry as people on here think it is. 

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »

I really enjoyed this post
Gentleman ninja warlock

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
I don't think we do.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 05:33:28 PM »
Because the jews own all the wheel companies

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »

if you think skaters control skateboarding... lol shit has been bought and paid decades ago, pretty much since inception

Trump2020

• Rep: -47
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 06:54:54 PM »
The thing is, in 10 more years the industry as it is will be a completely different landscape. There's no longer gonna be a centralized California based community of movers and shakers that can ignore stuff and pretend like it doesn't happen. you kind of already see it now with instagram

Sad dad

• Rep: 4
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 07:17:30 PM »
I always read about the Welcome guy being a piece of shit but have never been able to find out what he did. What did he do?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
I always read about the Welcome guy being a piece of shit but have never been able to find out what he did. What did he do?

he does his own thing and doesn't play by the industry rules.  he has also been outselling a lot of the biggest brands without "kissing the ring".  seems like people don't like that. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
it's a Pimp's game
Skating and Baitin

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 07:37:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

he does his own thing and doesn't play by the industry rules.  he has also been outselling a lot of the biggest brands without "kissing the ring".  seems like people don't like that.

Wait, we're talking about the guy who had other people build the identity/image of his brand (Mango, Genesis Evans, Jesse Alba, Logan Lara, Eric Winkowski, the Portland dudes, etc.), chose to never pay them/turn anyone pro, so most either left/got booted, then he replaced them with an entirely new team which he then decided to actually pay/turn pro. (All while deleting all of the old riders parts from the Welcome youtube/website as if they never existed).

Yeah, seems pretty shitty to me tbh.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 07:43:14 PM »
the people that ride for him now seem to be doing fine.  maybe there's more to the story than the side of disgruntled ex-riders.  not saying he's an angel, but it seems pretty tame by skate industry standards
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 07:52:17 PM »
the people that ride for him now seem to be doing fine.  maybe there's more to the story than the side of disgruntled ex-riders.  not saying he's an angel, but it seems pretty tame by skate industry standards

Whatever you say, Brink.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 08:13:38 PM »
What're you gonna do, just start a board company?! You'd need at least $800 for that!!!!!
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »

Because for years a bunch of these "core" brands were making inferior products. Then factor in that they made a fortune selling to corporations like Zumiez, which fucked over local shops and made them receptive to what Nike and Adidas were offering at the time.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 08:31:39 PM »
  Easy answer; cause nobody gives a fuck.  I mean, yah I'll throw 2 cents around a forum but once you click the computer off it's back to real life personal fam/friends and fun shit, not the skate industry.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

whatthefuuu

• Rep: 3

IHOP

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 11:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yea he was bragging about outselling the biggest brands, while not paying anybody that was helping him get there, and thats why they all left.

There arent any concrete terrible things jason has done, but he has done a lot of shady stuff to the people that created the image for his brand, and then he turned it into exactly what he always said he was against.

EDIT: replied before I saw smokecracks post, sorry for basically the double post
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:11:53 PM by IHOP »

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 11:17:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Whatever you say, Brink.
So what is this, did Brink ruin the multifaceted stories in skateboarding?
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 12:11:07 AM »

Welcome really was the shit. It was a new (or more so recycled) way of skateboarding, especially during it's peak around 2012 ish? Mango, Logan, that crusty dude, Winkowski? It was a breath of fresh air in a stagnant industry. I also credit the revival of the small board brands to welcome.

Then the dude became money hungry and sold out, no? There was a really good scan of an interview with him in a zine that appeared on here a few years ago.

IHOP

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 12:44:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Welcome really was the shit. It was a new (or more so recycled) way of skateboarding, especially during it's peak around 2012 ish? Mango, Logan, that crusty dude, Winkowski? It was a breath of fresh air in a stagnant industry. I also credit the revival of the small board brands to welcome.

Then the dude became money hungry and sold out, no? There was a really good scan of an interview with him in a zine that appeared on here a few years ago.

Yea it was logan devlin (skated for and filmed for welcome) in Noping zine.  Essentially just talked about him being a dickhead, not sharing the wealth, making him quit huf then putting on huf riders, selling to corpo shops, and more specific shitty things hes said.  The scans are on here somewhere.

EDIT: 144p posted them but I cant see them anymore http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=89360.150
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:54:29 AM by IHOP »