Author Topic: Why do we put up with this shit?  (Read 10479 times)

Mcidraque

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Why do we put up with this shit?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 01:25:46 AM »
We as skaters have shifted the planet in terms of fashion and music on more that one occasion. We have white power.

ask JJessee if you don't believe me

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 02:49:13 AM »
just like with any endorsement, companies never give a shit about their riders doing bad shit until it hits a "media fan" and goes viral

just because a thread was started on some rumors, don't go thinking that 99.9% of skateboarders are aware of anything discussed int there long ass threads

learn to keep professionals (in any field) in high regard in their profession, but don't go all role-model with them, you're too old to be that stupid

cockrabbit

• Rep: -29
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 06:30:42 AM »
I always read about the Welcome guy being a piece of shit but have never been able to find out what he did. What did he do?

that shit is sold in urban outfitters, thats all i gotta say...

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 08:20:36 AM »
How about this, everyone who thinks Rip n ' Dip and it's shitty owner is wack, tell at least one person involved with it this weekend.

Maybe it's just a kid at the skate park, maybe it's one of the dudes who works at a shop that carries it, maybe a Zumiez employee, maybe your shop owner. Just tell one person that they are representing something shitty.
I need a coffee

feedmeseymour

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 09:06:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I always read about the Welcome guy being a piece of shit but have never been able to find out what he did. What did he do?
[close]

he does his own thing and doesn't play by the industry rules.  he has also been outselling a lot of the biggest brands without "kissing the ring".  seems like people don't like that.
[close]

Wait, we're talking about the guy who had other people build the identity/image of his brand (Mango, Genesis Evans, Jesse Alba, Logan Lara, Eric Winkowski, the Portland dudes, etc.), chose to never pay them/turn anyone pro, so most either left/got booted, then he replaced them with an entirely new team which he then decided to actually pay/turn pro. (All while deleting all of the old riders parts from the Welcome youtube/website as if they never existed).

Yeah, seems pretty shitty to me tbh.

ive heard its cause the old dudes on the team smoked weed and the guy that runs the show hated that. along with he wanted serious quality control on what the team posted online as far as clips, and they didnt like that. also heard even when pro with a board, nolan was only getting paid like 450-500 a month from welcome.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 09:20:28 AM »
Pope John Paul II on Indy confirmed

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Why do they still sell Gator boards?
https://selectskateshop.com/collections/vision-decks-1

Before 'Gator' it was 'Vision' and the iconic swirl graphic, my guess is they felt 'Gator' was ok as it was more iconic and wasn't the name Mark Ragowski or Mark Anthony (clearly he was going kooksville at this point).

Still, I wouldn't market, let alone that shit in an industry that really remembers it's elites and OGs, it's just poor form on whomever bought the Vision rights and started to re-issue them.

What's great about the industry is it's all the SAME shit. Boards are made in one of a handful of woodshops, there's only a few trucks on the market, three of which are all made in the same place...and if everyone is so bent on Indy being racist, stop riding them, ACE and Theeve and Thunder are great...if not better than indy to begin with.

Go support the small skater owned shit, we all should be anyway.

Bloodwizard, Scum Co., Isle, Killing Floor, Magenta, No. Co, SMA, Polar, Quasi, WKND, Black Fucking Label..local shop decks
Prize Fighter, Gold, Autobahn, Wayward, Crupie
ACE or Theeve
State, eS,  Etnies, or Lakai

Or just skate DLX, clean rep outside of their need to keep the dirtbag hesh vibe alive with AH, as they've got you covered with decks, trucks, wheels, bolts, bearings, etc...

No one is forcing you to ride Indys, F4s, NikeSB, 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:45:38 AM by Xen »

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 09:45:35 AM »
How about this, everyone who thinks Rip n ' Dip and it's shitty owner is wack, tell at least one person involved with it this weekend.

Maybe it's just a kid at the skate park, maybe it's one of the dudes who works at a shop that carries it, maybe a Zumiez employee, maybe your shop owner. Just tell one person that they are representing something shitty.

This is a true and probably pathetic story but I'll tell it anyway. So in some thread somebody identified a hot ass girl in someone's else's sig, it's that one of the girl in a santa hat grabbing her own tits. Any way I followed her on insta bc I use that particular social media platform pretty much only to follow skateboarding, hot girls, and comic book stuff (again I'm not super proud of this but whatever). She had a post a few weeks ago where she was wearing a ripndip beanie with that stupid fucking cat giving middle fingers and I commented that she shouldn't support that shit because the owner was a known woman abuser.

I thought that most "instagram model" types at least tried to feign feminism or whatever and she'd remove the post at the very least but instead she just deleted my comment and blocked me.

halfsleeper

• Rep: 9
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 10:01:33 AM »
Or just skate DLX, clean rep outside of their need to keep the dirtbag hesh vibe alive with AH, as they've got you covered with decks, trucks, wheels, bolts, bearings, etc...

isn't DLX infamous here for constantly removing negative threads relating to their riders..? also AH is just a skate frat.

side note, this topic gets brought up a lot in individual threads. someone care to compile a list of names (people/companies) that shouldn't be supported? two column spreadsheet i.e. don't support jason jessee unless you support white power.

tiny hat, big heart.

bawtawdreloaded

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 10:08:52 AM »
Lol no one really cares about the feminism or racism shit outside of the internet. Everyone's on some ideologies that 14 year old kids write about on the intenet. People can't even see through it and see these movements are started by idealistic schoolchildren. Bitching about things is the worst way to try and change things, you actually gotta get involved and create your own shit.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 11:03:30 AM »
Why is the sky blue? Why is water wet? Why did Judas rat to the Romans while Jesus slept?

Honestly, there's no skate media, just skate publicity.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

feedmeseymour

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »
Why is the sky blue? Why is water wet? Why did Judas rat to the Romans while Jesus slept?

Honestly, there's no skate media, just skate publicity.

“It just does”

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2018, 11:25:51 AM »
BA is a token gay guy. maybe it's performative

edit: like AH having him on, not being a queer man. unclear wording
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:44:14 PM by Dwyck »
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

gollum mcjinglemeballs

• Rep: -4
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2018, 11:44:31 AM »
We as skaters have shifted the planet in terms of fashion and music on more that one occasion. We have power.

So, why are we putting up with brands who's owners completely fuck over their friends that got them to where they are? Why do we deal with brands who's owners hit women? Why do we allow pro's among our ranks who hit women?
Why do we allow brands that take from skating but don't give back, just because uneducated kids like them on youtube? Why do we allow brands to put out retro shoes glorifying men who commit hate crimes? Why?

There are so many great brands and skaters out there, why are we simply not shunning the shitty few?

because....capitalism
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:49:03 AM by gollum mcjinglemeballs »

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2018, 06:41:45 PM »
What is the source for the claim that the guy from Rip n Dip is bad?  Also, why is it assumed that anyone even knows who the guy from Rip n Dip is?

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2018, 02:40:48 AM »
Kids who don't know who Kenny Anderson is.....Are Buying More Pairs on Cons then EvA
Do You even Street Style ???

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2018, 03:06:09 AM »
IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE KIDS

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2018, 10:25:00 PM »
This is now the Jason Jesse thread. Seriously what's up with this? Seems like a no brainer: guy says racist shit in the past, continues to utilize nazi imagery, and shows no signs of remorse for his past words. Honestly boggles my mind that he hasn't had his career ended by now, espescially since he's way past his prime and there's a billion guys who skate better than him. Maybe I'm just idealistic but I've always liked to think skateboarding didn't tolerate straight up racists. The fact that slap is covering for him and his corporate sponsors by locking the thread is obscene. Nazi punks fuck off

bucketoftruth

• Rep: 12
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2018, 09:16:18 AM »
Lol no one really cares about the feminism or racism shit outside of the internet. Everyone's on some ideologies that 14 year old kids write about on the intenet. People can't even see through it and see these movements are started by idealistic schoolchildren. Bitching about things is the worst way to try and change things, you actually gotta get involved and create your own shit.

That is bullshit. People are more amplified on the internet, but idiots hide their idiot ideology as hard IRL as idiots who sing praises on shit they are proud of themselves for, like being vegan or on that crossfit. Racists just arent as loud because they know they are wrong, deep down. Sitting there like a bitch being quiet, ignoring who you support with your dollars, is as damaging to any culture than the ones spreading the bullshit. Your silence lets it happen. Bitching is doing something, literally more than ignoring everything.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
i do my part by spending my money locally and on brands that i really care about .. speak for yourself

it’s like recycling: i do it with the materials i consume but am i making an impact in the big picture? im asking cuz i don’t really know

confession: i bought a twin peaks habitat board but that was because of lynch

This.

I dont follow the trends and buy whats cool because its cool or popular. Ive always spent locally and supported the brands/people i respect or personally am into it.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is a true and probably pathetic story but I'll tell it anyway. So in some thread somebody identified a hot ass girl in someone's else's sig, it's that one of the girl in a santa hat grabbing her own tits. Any way I followed her on insta bc I use that particular social media platform pretty much only to follow skateboarding, hot girls, and comic book stuff (again I'm not super proud of this but whatever). She had a post a few weeks ago where she was wearing a ripndip beanie with that stupid fucking cat giving middle fingers and I commented that she shouldn't support that shit because the owner was a known woman abuser.

I thought that most "instagram model" types at least tried to feign feminism or whatever and she'd remove the post at the very least but instead she just deleted my comment and blocked me.

what's her @?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That is bullshit. People are more amplified on the internet, but idiots hide their idiot ideology as hard IRL as idiots who sing praises on shit they are proud of themselves for, like being vegan or on that crossfit. Racists just arent as loud because they know they are wrong, deep down. Sitting there like a bitch being quiet, ignoring who you support with your dollars, is as damaging to any culture than the ones spreading the bullshit. Your silence lets it happen. Bitching is doing something, literally more than ignoring everything.
please don't put veganism and crossfit in the same basket

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2018, 05:40:08 AM »
That Slap SJW got JJ to Apologize, Lose some Sponsors (They'll wait for the SMoke to clear, & then continue pushing his units)

Not saying SLap is powerful, But its still SLAP. EUro TM's frequent this Forum for Tricks, Tips, Gifs of a Petite Asian chick taking a thick poop that didnt break, Gossip, Trends Etc...

Slap has enuff Power to get certain Members a free Fajita Sizzle plate from a mediocre metsican Chain restaurant

Expand Quote
We as skaters have shifted the planet in terms of fashion and music on more that one occasion. We have power.

So, why are we putting up with brands who's owners completely fuck over their friends that got them to where they are? Why do we deal with brands who's owners hit women? Why do we allow pro's among our ranks who hit women?
Why do we allow brands that take from skating but don't give back, just because uneducated kids like them on youtube? Why do we allow brands to put out retro shoes glorifying men who commit hate crimes? Why?

There are so many great brands and skaters out there, why are we simply not shunning the shitty few?

[close]

I think because marketing is powerful and SLAP is not as big in the industry as people on here think it is.
Do You even Street Style ???

opinionated bastard

• Rep: -179
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2018, 08:30:37 AM »

If you listen closely, you can hear me playing the worlds smallest violin

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2018, 09:54:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think because marketing is powerful and SLAP is not as big in the industry as people on here think it is.

This.

Plus I think we overestimate how much the general skating public cares about things like this. The majority of people who skate barely pay attention to what goes on in the "industry".

fftc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2018, 10:20:26 AM »
side note, this topic gets brought up a lot in individual threads. someone care to compile a list of names (people/companies) that shouldn't be supported? two column spreadsheet i.e. don't support jason jessee unless you support white power.

+1

I don't want to knowingly support brands that have anything to do with racism, domestic abuse, face tats etc, but it's hard to keep abreast of all the gossip.
As much as folk might say it's meaningless, if you buy a known racists deck then the racist, the company and the retailer all think you either don't know, or don't care about the racism. That's tacit support at the very least. If there is a shit ton of them left on the shelves it sends a message.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2018, 11:25:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

what's her @?

nocomply900

• Rep: 2
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2018, 08:09:35 PM »
What even is skateboarding these days?

Hoeboi

• Rep: -362
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2018, 08:32:19 PM »
kinda stoked that I'm getting in on this thread from the ground floor. i didn't come around until the Jason Jessee thread hit about 100 pages. i totally missed out on all the fun. so where were we?