Author Topic: 8-9 layer boards  (Read 830 times)

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

8-9 layer boards
« on: February 24, 2007, 02:19:10 PM »
chips wouldn't kill the board and it may even be stronger. Normal layers on the bottom.slightly thicker one in the middle and thin ones on top.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 02:23:09 PM by MAGIK INC GROUPIE »

somekid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: 8-9 layer boards
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 01:54:03 AM »
my buddy was babbling some shit about bamboo being stronger and lighter. he was saying that you could do 11 or 13 ply decks, using thinner veneers, that would be the same thickness as a regular board...
could be cool. bamboo grows quicker than maple,too. 

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »
I have a couple bamboo boards on the wall at the shop now, and when you step on one they creek like the glue between the bamboo is cracking. It only does it at first though.

I think they are 5 ply's of maple surrounded by bamboo on the outside. They seem a little heavier than reg. boards.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:16:01 PM »
dude....next time  you hear of a panda killing a sheep....look in the mirror and ask yourself if it was really worth it....

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 10:27:37 PM »
bamboo could work. The problem is it's too flexible. It would save a lot of broken boards  due to it's ability to bend back. If you were to use bamboo you'd probably have to use a flexible glue. Not sure of it's wear characteristics but imagine that if you had bamboo on the bottom it'd wear fast.  You'd have to have like
a thick maple layer in the middle and 2-3 maple layers on the bottom for wear. not sure though.

On another note, I used a bamboo bat over maple and it had excellent recoil and felt really solid, hard, yet flexible to give you that aluminum bat trampoline effect. You'd get a lot of feedback vibrations on your hands so I know it's tough on the glue.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:29:59 PM by MAGIK INC GROUPIE »