Author Topic: ultralight setup  (Read 1256 times)

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 171
ultralight setup
« on: January 01, 2023, 05:40:23 AM »
This is probably a very niche topic that blends both of my hobbies (skating and ultralight backpacking) but i figured id throw it out there...

In a couple months I'm going to be doing a 140 mile backpacking route that starts in Grand Junction, CO and ends in Moab, UT. Along the way there will be a grip of paved road walking. I thought about taking a board to skate these sections. Inspiration for this by Alex Fogt https://freefreakshike.com/2019/02/03/cruising-on-the-florida-trail/

Wanting to keep the overall weight of the board down is my main goal, so whats the lightest setup imaginable? Flight deck? Mag lights? but i'm also thinking keeping the overall length of the board down to a manageable size would be better. i dont wanna skate a penny board tho. hmmmmmmmm thots?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
Re: ultralight setup
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 05:46:48 AM »
I guess you could do cutouts in the middle, nose or tail. Thunder titaniums are pretty light too

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 06:04:23 AM »
Polarizer Thread >>>>>

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 07:09:16 AM »
Taking a skateboard with you on a backpacking trip is the literal opposite of UL.

Does Element still make those helium decks with the air pockets in between the veneers? Titanium hollow trucks. Smallest millimeter wheels you can find, which will suck for rough roads, but UL. Titanium bearings. Hollow hardware. Cuben fiber big bois. Cold soaked beans.

streetmeat

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 07:15:27 AM »
Taking a skateboard with you on a backpacking trip is the literal opposite of UL.

Does Element still make those helium decks with the air pockets in between the veneers? Titanium hollow trucks. Smallest millimeter wheels you can find, which will suck for rough roads, but UL. Titanium bearings. Hollow hardware. Cuben fiber big bois. Cold soaked beans.

trust me, i know lol. i'm solidly in the 'stupid ultralight' range already so the addition of a board isn't going to kill me over a 5 day trip. if only the Osiris G Bag was available in a UL option

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 414
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 07:42:24 AM »
Two bolts for each truck

One bearing for each wheel

No bushings, no pivot cup

Grip tape only where your feet are

Whatever trucks you get, grind them down to the axles before your trip

Razor the nose and tail and boardslide through at least two plies

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 08:06:50 AM »
See whatever Daewon's set up is and you're set.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 08:56:25 AM »
The lighter your board is the worse it will be for riding on the road. Maybe you could balance it out by getting some big soft cruiser wheels. I feel like riding an ultralight board on the road for any considerable amount of time would actually fatigue your legs more than walking would.

I'm jealous of your trip though, sounds beautiful
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 09:25:12 AM »
@PuffinMuffin  made an ultralight. She is of Slap but the bloard must be somewhere in the set up thread.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 10:51:42 AM »
Unless the paved portion is really nice, I think you should consider going for a decent set of small cruiser wheels on an otherwise ultralight setup. I build a lot of weird novelty cruisers, so this is what I would do if I was going on your journey:

Antihero mini Eagle 7.3
(Small/lightweight, easy to carry)

Tensor MagLight 5.0
(Lightweight, tall axle height)

OJ mini Super Juice 55mm
(Soft, small-ish for cruising)

Rush all-weather ceramic bearings
(Great price, lightweight, underrated)

streetmeat

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 11:02:42 AM »
right now im thinking

WKND 6.75” deck
Tensor 4.25 Mags (jk, guess mags arent in this size)
SML 50mm Coffee Cruisers

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 02:48:50 PM »

GroovySinner

• Rep: -79
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2023, 03:07:29 PM »
8.1 sk8 mafia smolik deck with 137 hollow Indy’s and 52mm oj’s was probably the lightest and best set up I ever skated. It felt very proper.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2023, 03:18:13 PM »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

streetmeat

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2023, 03:47:32 PM »

please do not disrespect my Straight Edge ways on my post!!!!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 01:00:48 AM »
Find a used Powell flight, cut it down into a cruiser, hole in the nose for holding/helping attach it to a pack, smaller trucks and softer wheels.

The flight deck will be able to handle the extra weight of a backpack while skating.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2023, 01:27:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

trust me, i know lol. i'm solidly in the 'stupid ultralight' range already so the addition of a board isn't going to kill me over a 5 day trip. if only the Osiris G Bag was available in a UL option

What's yo baseweight kid

Fellow ULer here

Polarizer is a good idea. You could mill down a flight deck to a manageable size and drill holes in it, vicious coarse longboard griptape, hit the holes with some PU so they don't get soggy, probably mag lights or whatever forged titanium truck in a small size, titanium 3/4 bolts from ebay w/ some shorty's nuts, Welcome Orbs hollow core wheels, maybe the titanium Acer axel/kingpin nuts

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2023, 04:48:37 AM »
I take my polarizer as a travel board when I know I’ll be cruising. Tiny footprint, super capable for wheels down riding and fun as heck.

Chuck on some Powell Rough Riders, Swiss bearings and you’re set.

streetmeat

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2023, 05:00:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What's yo baseweight kid

Fellow ULer here

Polarizer is a good idea. You could mill down a flight deck to a manageable size and drill holes in it, vicious coarse longboard griptape, hit the holes with some PU so they don't get soggy, probably mag lights or whatever forged titanium truck in a small size, titanium 3/4 bolts from ebay w/ some shorty's nuts, Welcome Orbs hollow core wheels, maybe the titanium Acer axel/kingpin nuts

around 5lb bw

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2023, 08:50:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What's yo baseweight kid

Fellow ULer here

IIRC Acer does titanium kingpins as well.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2023, 06:23:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What's yo baseweight kid

Fellow ULer here

[close]

around 5lb bw

Nice

I got mine to around six with a palante cuben simple or Joey and a cuben borah bivy/hex pocket tarp w doors, uberlite and 50f synthetic quilt for June/July/August and a 30° for may and september

Nowadays idk what it is

Timmermade pack, liteway pyramid tarp etc

streetmeat

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2023, 03:09:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What's yo baseweight kid

Fellow ULer here

[close]

around 5lb bw
[close]

Nice

I got mine to around six with a palante cuben simple or Joey and a cuben borah bivy/hex pocket tarp w doors, uberlite and 50f synthetic quilt for June/July/August and a 30° for may and september

Nowadays idk what it is

Timmermade pack, liteway pyramid tarp etc

Timmermade makes packs?

one thing i'm kinda battling with is strapping the board to my pack. my main pack is a dcf Nashville Pack but i'm thinking of using an old and semi dead KS UL pack so the grip tape doesn't wear a hole in my pack.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2023, 03:37:11 AM »
7.5 deck, tensor mag light lows and 50mm wheels.

so light that it'll probably blow away. I was skating the same as a 7.75 setup for a while and it weighed something stupid like 2.8 lbs.