Author Topic: Longboarding is as rad/stupid as other types of skating  (Read 6845 times)

legalbeagle

Re: Longboarding is as rad/stupid as other types of skating
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »
long boarders basically made skateboarding legal on college campuses

of course you still can't really "skate" on campus, but at least you don't get tickets for rolling around or even for walking across the quad with a board, like in the 90s

so for that they get a pass

Surf-goth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -677
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2018, 02:54:01 PM »
I bomb hills just fine with my real board and the i get to do tricks too and no looking stupid so there you go.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2018, 03:00:45 PM »
just as stupid way less rad
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2018, 04:26:40 PM »
Jesus H. Christ.

First of all, you start off by presenting yourself as a "troll" and you try and let everyone know that you generally don't give a fuck.

Example A:

"Apparently I don’t have enough neg points"

Example B:

"I never said I wasn’t a kook, but I’m it a troll."

Example C:

Your username, which you probably think was bestowed to you by the master of edgelords and now you have the god given ability to melt snowflakes. Dope.

I also want to point out that you started "skateboarding" in 1984, which means you're old as fuck and you think that legitimizes you in some way.

Expand Quote
You wanna go ride a longboard, fine. You wanna dance around on it, fine. But don't act like this is the same thing as skateboarding.
[close]

What the fuck is your point here? What is the purpose of this thread? Are you trying to convince all of skateboarding that us sk8rz + longbrdrz are just, like, the same, bro? You just trying to troll SLAP here? These are fantastic choices, I'm really happy for you.

If you like riding a long wheelbase and soft urethane, then do it. Sounds like you're from the metro vancouver area so maybe you should just stick to seylynn, china creek, and the british properties once you get off of your job working at that warehouse that pays you $13.50 CAD.

1- Sorry, spelling mistake. I meant to say “I may be a kook, but i’m NOT a troll”

2- Sure, i’d say sticking with skateboarding for 30 years legitimizes my opinion. Or is there some other form of legitimacy you require, weed socks? A low card tattoo?

3- is 42 old as fuck? Don’t worry, by the time you get there you’ll be able to still skateboard without embarrassment, thanks to your elders.

4- I’m not trolling, I sincerely believe that the longboard scene (college dudes in sandals don’t create a scene any more than people wearing Thrasher gear does) is like I said in the title, just as kooky, just as rad as any other skate scene.

However, “cool guy skating “ is so inward looking and conservative that it’s become inconsistent with the founding ideals, having fun and getting rad in a skateboard.

So many of you here want to convince yourselves that you adhere to skateboarding’s “true core”, you guys sound so fucking corny.

In that way, the downhill scene reminds me more of skating in the eighties and early to mid nineties, everyone hated us, and that made the scene tight , we had small communities that were fairly inclusive.
To quote Chris Pontius, “ Punk was rad, too bad you missed it”.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2018, 05:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They're not the same. Yes going fast is gnarly, but you might as well street luge. The whole mentality within skateboarding repurposing architecture without a regard for its intended purpose or the designer behind it is the core of what makes skateboarding art. And it is art. It is at its base value a skateboard, but that's also like saying that if it's using a guitar it must be rock music.

You wanna go ride a longboard, fine. You wanna dance around on it, fine. But don't act like this is the same thing as skateboarding. Sheeit, I'm hesitant to call freestyle "skateboarding" as I'm defining it.
[close]

Fuck off with that shit. A skateboard is a plank of wood with wheels. We are the ones who decide on its purpose and give it meaning, not you and your narrow definition of it.  The dogtown guys were powersliding down bicknell hill in Santa Monica well before anybody had ever done an ollie, the first dogtown article was called "Aspects of the downhill slide." Your bullshit belief that skateboards aren't made for skating down hills is contradicted entirely by reality.
[close]

I guess I wasn't clear in what I was saying. Yes, skateboards are made to go downhill, I never said they weren't. What I'm getting at is what separates GX1000 from longboarding down hills. I have read Stecyk's articles, he actually heavily influenced my outlook on skateboarding as art. What separates the Zephyr team from today's longboarders is that their thought process that went into riding down hills is more akin to street skating than riding a half pipe. Dogtown re-imagined hills and banks as waves and they saw a swimming pool as something that could be used for something that is entirely not swimming. The context of longboarding though is taking no artistic liberties as to what a hills defined use is: it's for rolling down. Also why park skating is not the same as street skating, why half pipe footage declined drastically since the inception of street skating, and why pool skating has always been rad.

I'm not even disagreeing with what you guys are saying, the fact that we're disputing what we're talking about when we talk about skateboarding is testament to it being art.  But also I came to slap to talk shit and state my opinions as fact.
[close]
Serious downhill skating is fucking art. When they have the slider gloves and do wild powerslides and take corners while sliding out on their hands, its art. It was also featured in the old bones brigade videos Stecyk had a huge part in. You keep thinking that the only people who ride longboards are the bros getting across campus in flip flops- we all agree those dudes are kooks though.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They're not the same. Yes going fast is gnarly, but you might as well street luge. The whole mentality within skateboarding repurposing architecture without a regard for its intended purpose or the designer behind it is the core of what makes skateboarding art. And it is art. It is at its base value a skateboard, but that's also like saying that if it's using a guitar it must be rock music.

You wanna go ride a longboard, fine. You wanna dance around on it, fine. But don't act like this is the same thing as skateboarding. Sheeit, I'm hesitant to call freestyle "skateboarding" as I'm defining it.
[close]

Fuck off with that shit. A skateboard is a plank of wood with wheels. We are the ones who decide on its purpose and give it meaning, not you and your narrow definition of it.  The dogtown guys were powersliding down bicknell hill in Santa Monica well before anybody had ever done an ollie, the first dogtown article was called "Aspects of the downhill slide." Your bullshit belief that skateboards aren't made for skating down hills is contradicted entirely by reality.
[close]
so youre on longboarders side AND TEKASHI's???   What the fuck are you teaching kids?
[close]
Def not on Tekashi's side. Pretty sure that was a joke referencing the thread where I said I liked him, then was exposed to a lot of shit I didn't really know about and changed my mind. For the record, I don't back Tekashi.
As far as what I teach kids? Do you think teachers don't have opinions or that they teach them everything that passes through their head?
ive only been exposed to the mexican school system but i assume its way different, so maybe 13% ?

All shitflinging aside,  do you how to say "im drunk as fuck"  in mexican slang? (Not neutral spanish) sounds super fucked up hahaha
Nsfw or schools
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>