Author Topic: $lave  (Read 13282 times)

SR Junky

Re: $lave
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »
I was not really feeling this company when they came out a while back but this catalogue makes it look like they have come into their own a bit.  The word "slave" without context is obviously somewhat controversial or else there would be no controversy about it on here.  But I think being a "slave to the media" is interesting and makes the word fine by me.  and big boards are good

NickDagger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2007, 02:06:48 PM »
Controversial to idiots.

I don't even like the name of the company.

But theres no controversy about it if you have a brain.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

bornindabay

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2007, 02:11:32 PM »
I odn't think that word is offensive unless you're overly sensitive. Now saying the "N" word is offensive and should be to everyone.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2007, 02:14:50 PM »
Yeah, thats why I knew Nice Skate Shoes would ultimately fail.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2007, 02:22:30 PM »
toy machine meets anti-hero meets adbusters...

nothing like starting a company whose images revolves around complaining (in a general sense) about capitalist modernity...

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2007, 02:24:11 PM »
what is this mayonnaise day at the slap forum?

get the fuck outta here white boy!

damian

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »
takin a stroll down snowflake avenue..

Vauxhall

• Rep: 0
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2007, 03:26:13 PM »

nothing like starting a company whose images revolves around complaining (in a general sense) about capitalist modernity...

Wouldn't have it any other way. (?)

bornindabay

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2007, 03:32:45 PM »

It's like that sticker... "If you're aren't outraged than you're not paying attention."

There will always be corruption and I tip my cap to all that  don't mind going out on a limb to fight for what is right.

Super Scared

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2007, 03:46:15 PM »
Listen, I know what the company stands for and all that goes with it.  However, if you were wearing a shirt with the just the word Slave  on it, and if it pisses someone off, they aren't gonna stand around and think "hey, that might be a skateboard company, or some other cool company" frankly they won't give a shit.  I live in downtown Atlanta, and let me tell you wearing a shirt like that around here will get your shit kicked, no questions asked. 

I like the company, but ask any black person if they are down with the company and their most likely response is "hell no", b/c it is a touchy subject and there is no getting around it.  Words are powerful...fact

hugh jass

• Rep: 0
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2007, 03:49:43 PM »
Yeah, thats why I knew Nice Skate Shoes would ultimately fail.
yea and everyone that wore them didn't skate. where did grosso go i totally foregot but i thought it was a pretty good team

bornindabay

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2007, 03:52:39 PM »
Listen, I know what the company stands for and all that goes with it.  However, if you were wearing a shirt with the just the word Slave  on it, and if it pisses someone off, they aren't gonna stand around and think "hey, that might be a skateboard company, or some other cool company" frankly they won't give a shit.  I live in downtown Atlanta, and let me tell you wearing a shirt like that around here will get your shit kicked, no questions asked. 

I like the company, but ask any black person if they are down with the company and their most likely response is "hell no", b/c it is a touchy subject and there is no getting around it.  Words are powerful...fact

So is ignorance I guess. ;D

I hear you though and agree.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2007, 03:57:12 PM »
is the wood blackbox uses good?

im feeling the kennedy board.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2007, 03:58:04 PM »

Of course I would exercise common sense on something like that.

But words only have the power people give them.

And if you get the shit beat out of you for wearing that shirt, they probably would have beat the shit out of you anyway.

Dumbass white boy.

Too Buku

• Rep: -1
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2007, 04:27:03 PM »
There will always be corruption and I tip my cap to all that  don't mind going out on a limb to fight for what is right.

Classic. So this company is some how "fighting for what is right" because they have political messages in their graphics? Please. Maybe if the profit they made from their sales went to some sort of cause, or was used to make things better in our country, then they would be "fighting for what is right." Instead, I have a feeling the profits will be used to line the pockets of those involved in the company, which makes them no different than any other company, except they were clever enough to market themselves towards the anti-establishment crowd, and convince their target market that they are somehow saying "fuck you" to the powers that be by buying Slave merchandise.

After you stop at your skateshop and get a Slave beanie, make sure you stop in at Hot Topic and buy a t-shirt with an upside down american flag on it, pick up some skate kicks made in china, and complete your "fighting for what is right" look. Because that's exactly what your money will be doing...

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2007, 04:38:45 PM »
shut up white boy

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2007, 04:43:58 PM »

But really thats no point whatsoever-sorry if it hurts, but how can a shirt thats implying BEING A SLAVERY isn't a good thing, be offensive to anyone?

do tell me, how can one "be" a slavery?
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

bornindabay

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Of course I would exercise common sense on something like that.

But words only have the power people give them.

And if you get the shit beat out of you for wearing that shirt, they probably would have beat the shit out of you anyway.

Dumbass white boy.

I think the dollar sign gives it away and makes it obvious it's not about black people but about being a slave to money.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »
Expand Quote

But really thats no point whatsoever-sorry if it hurts, but how can a shirt thats implying BEING A SLAVERY isn't a good thing, be offensive to anyone?

[close]

do tell me, how can one "be" a slavery?

pobodies nerfect

ya white bitch

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2007, 04:47:54 PM »
how would you know if im white?
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2007, 04:52:27 PM »
how would you know if im white?

i can smell it on you you white racist bitch

bornindabay

« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2007, 04:55:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Classic. So this company is some how "fighting for what is right" because they have political messages in their graphics? Please. Maybe if the profit they made from their sales went to some sort of cause, or was used to make things better in our country, then they would be "fighting for what is right." Instead, I have a feeling the profits will be used to line the pockets of those involved in the company, which makes them no different than any other company, except they were clever enough to market themselves towards the anti-establishment crowd, and convince their target market that they are somehow saying "fuck you" to the powers that be by buying Slave merchandise.

After you stop at your skateshop and get a Slave beanie, make sure you stop in at Hot Topic and buy a t-shirt with an upside down american flag on it, pick up some skate kicks made in china, and complete your "fighting for what is right" look. Because that's exactly what your money will be doing...
They say if a baseball player/ skater/ football player/etc... constantly watches footage of games he'll become better. It won't get the credit but it does leave an impression into your subconcious. I think it's kind of the same thing here. Sure, you got your liberals that will throw away all the ritches just to tell the world how they feel and they are heros. We all won't/can't make those sacrifices but we can express our views in hopes people will hear us out. I'm a firm believer in standing for something. I can't spill every last cent into trying to get my point across but sure as hell will put something meaningfull on a tee in hopes of reaching the youth. It's about all I can do. The mind is a powerfull thing and works in ways we'll never understand.  That said, it does have an impact and the message is being spread. I hate trends but if it's all of sudden trendy to become politically aware, than I'm trendy cause it's the right thing to do.

Too Buku

• Rep: -1
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2007, 05:44:43 PM »
Please, let's keep pseudo-political commentary out of skateboarding.

You can market anything anti-establishment to a 13 year old, but if you honestly think it's making some kind of impact on them consciously or subconsciously you're buggin.

I never said they should put all their money where their mouth is, but if they're trying to make money off political idealism, then at least a portion of their profits should go towards making shit better. Otherwise, they're no different than everybody else, in that they're just out to get a buck.

These graphics are just a mix of Yellow graphics (which are horrible) and Anti-Hero (which are good). So they're basically aping one company and in the process also putting out a watered down version of a better one. What's the point? If you want to make skateboards, make skateboards. If you want to be involved in politics, become involved. The message behind a company involved in skateboarding should always be skating. I mean, if I want to wax politically a skateboard is the last place I am going to look at for inspiration.

These graphics are about as intellectually stimulating as Wet Willy graphics. This shit is just eye candy for the other group of moronic dumbass teenagers that don't fall into the cartoon demographic. Dudes should just write "fuck" on the bottom of their boards, it will sell just as well, and it will spare the rest of us from their half-assed political commentary.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 05:48:45 PM by Too Buku »

bornindabay

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2007, 05:50:05 PM »
Whatever you say man. Not worth net argueing over. 8)

Sheep

• Rep: -10
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2007, 05:53:55 PM »
I'm not sure what the big deal is here. Slave to money? Yeah, sweet...that's some big idea there! Anybody over the age of 14 who hasn't contemplated that thought is simply stupid, or ignorant. So what's all the fuss?

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2007, 05:55:03 PM »
Please, keep your pseudo commentary on pseudo-political commentary out of skateboarding.

They should rename it Pro-Slavery of Blacks in America Skateboards.

Then no one would be offended because we all know blacks wouldn't take the time to read something that long.

FUCK I HATE WHITE PEOPLE!

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2007, 06:09:56 PM »
dicknagger i fucking hate you.
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

bornindabay

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2007, 06:25:45 PM »
Either you guys like it or you don't. I liked it so much I thought I'd comment on it. Be about what you want. I know what I want to represent and it's such a strong belief that I don't care what others think about it. I don't care if it hurts me some way. I don't care if it's cool or not.  You're not wrong for caring and you're not wrong for not caring. Why so much animosity? Can't we all get along?

By the way, black people aren't the only people enslaved. If a black person wants to take offense at that than maybe he has issues cause I really don't see
the connection and it's obvious to me what it means. I understand the point if you're wearing a tee THAT JUST says slavery on it but than again that's why we
communicate. Dude 1 asks what's up with tee and dude 2 tells him what the meaning is. If dude 1 doesn't get all ignorant and stupid he'd probably find out that
it represents something that interests him.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 06:27:16 PM by bornindabay »

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2007, 07:03:29 PM »
They should rename it Pro-Slavery of Blacks in America Skateboards.

Then no one would be offended because we all know blacks wouldn't take the time to read something that long.

Look guise, i wanna take this statement back.

I in no way meant to imply that some blacks can read.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »
I odn't think that word is offensive unless you're overly sensitive. Now saying the "N" word is offensive and should be to everyone.

they should have just called it "N"-word

id be feeling it

wheee!