Author Topic: books to read  (Read 248435 times)

7 year old

• Rep: 56
Re: books to read
« Reply #2940 on: April 09, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
Bill is so fucking cool. Need to read that.

behavioralguide

• Rep: 101
  • dog stuff
« Reply #2941 on: April 09, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »
i can type it out for ya, ts only like 60 pages half filled.

I do that for a living anyways

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #2942 on: April 10, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
Havent been reading much lately but my favorites of all time are....
JD Salinger - 9 Stories
Fantastic collection of short stories that are all intertwined the final story "Teddy" is probably one of my favorite pieces of literature of all time.
Cats Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
Ice Nine baby
Philip K Dick - A Scanner Darkly
That quote about stealing insulin or just dying fucks me up every time
The Dark Elf Trilogy - RA Salvatore
One of the first big books I read. My Dad lent me the trilogy when I was 12 and crushed through it in a week.

For Comics...
Transmetropolitan (finished)
Preacher (finished)
Planetary Express (finished)
DMZ (almost finished)
Doom Patrol (just started)
Wanted (finished)

Bunch of others but i'll keep it short.

DMZ it what got me back into comics as an adult.  If you are looking for some really amazing standout comics check out "The Twelve" and the arc of "Rising Starts"

is planetary express the same as planetary?  if so that and transmetropolitan are two of my all time favorite series.  and if you love transmetropolitan give "chew" a read.  very similar in all the best ways, none of the pontificating of transmetropoltian   

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -21
« Reply #2943 on: April 10, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »
also re-read
Yusuf Atilgan's The Loiterer, If you've ever been to Istanbul, you undoubtly enjoy this one; A man alone in a city, contemplating his differences with contemporary (at the time) Turkish culture, while chasing women and searching a woman:

and I read Bill Callahan's Letters to Emma Bowlcut; the story isn't all that much, Its a succession of letters to a woman, but you never get to read the replies. She does reply however, since Callahan refers to them and awnsers her questions in his own letters to her. Its interesting and if you enjoy his songwriting/ observations/ humour then its a good read and I find myself opening the book at random and re-reading letters.

I just got back from a trip to Istanbul. Yusuf Atilgan's novel sounds amazing. I had never heard of it before, but based on your description it should be right up my alley. It looks like the two of us are into similar books. Nice!

CrumblingInfrastructure

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2944 on: April 10, 2018, 06:56:13 PM »
Havent been reading much lately but my favorites of all time are....
JD Salinger - 9 Stories
Fantastic collection of short stories that are all intertwined the final story "Teddy" is probably one of my favorite pieces of literature of all time.
Cats Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
Ice Nine baby
Philip K Dick - A Scanner Darkly
That quote about stealing insulin or just dying fucks me up every time
The Dark Elf Trilogy - RA Salvatore
One of the first big books I read. My Dad lent me the trilogy when I was 12 and crushed through it in a week.

For Comics...
Transmetropolitan (finished)
Preacher (finished)
Planetary Express (finished)
DMZ (almost finished)
Doom Patrol (just started)
Wanted (finished)

Bunch of others but i'll keep it short.

DMZ it what got me back into comics as an adult.  If you are looking for some really amazing standout comics check out "The Twelve" and the arc of "Rising Starts"

is planetary express the same as planetary?  if so that and transmetropolitan are two of my all time favorite series.  and if you love transmetropolitan give "chew" a read.  very similar in all the best ways, none of the pontificating of transmetropoltian

I think its the same, I was given the Planetary Omnibus as a gift so I actually have always been unsure of the original title. Transmetropolitan is so god damn good! I'm pretty far into Dmz but havent been able to to fish up the cash to buy the next few collections. The Authority is another really fucking cool one. Also if your fucked up The Boys is pretty entertaining.

Kumiko

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2945 on: April 13, 2018, 02:53:22 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for short story collections or novels with short chapters around 3-15 pages? I need stuff to read during breaks at work.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #2946 on: April 13, 2018, 07:42:34 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for short story collections or novels with short chapters around 3-15 pages? I need stuff to read during breaks at work.

Raymond Carver's stuff is a good read.

And it's sort of a cliche, but I enjoyed reading these too.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #2947 on: April 13, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »

Have you read "welcome to the monkey house" by Vonnegut? anything by david sedaris?  i like "naked" and "me talk pretty one day" by him A LOT.   "The Bachman Books" by steven king are a little longer but like everything steven king, read really quick.  i loved them when i was a wannabe edgelord in HS, even more now.  He has a lot of other short story books, all of them are pretty much guaranteed to be good. "The Things They Carried" is a classic for a reason.  Some people argue that because its one "story" doesn't count a short story book but i disagree.  if you want to feel smart there is Salinger, Hemingway and Chekhov's short story books, but if i was going to go that route i would pick Poe's "The First Detective" which is a collection of the Dupin Series and really enjoyable

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #2948 on: April 13, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »
sci-fi set in Johannesburg, very good.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #2949 on: April 13, 2018, 08:54:06 PM »

Try Donald Barthelme. Here’s one of his best known short stories.

https://www.npr.org/programs/death/readings/stories/bart.html
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:56:20 PM by SFblah »

7 year old

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2950 on: April 14, 2018, 07:25:57 AM »
i can type it out for ya, ts only like 60 pages half filled.

I do that for a living anyways
I appreciate that b-guy but I don't want to be the reason his shit gets bootlegged.

ShredWilliams

• Rep: -7
« Reply #2951 on: April 14, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
Tom Wolfe’s “Kingdom Of Speech.” Read it today, was really impressed.

Kumiko

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2952 on: April 21, 2018, 02:18:24 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Started off with a collection from Donald Barthelme since it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Grampa

• Rep: 120
« Reply #2953 on: May 01, 2018, 08:22:05 PM »
Yo, thanks to whoever posted about You Can’t Win. I just started reading it and it’s awesome so far.  :)

Thrillho

• Rep: 107
« Reply #2954 on: May 03, 2018, 01:18:21 AM »
I read No Country For Old Men in like 2 days or something. McCarthy wrote it originally as a screenplay, so it's basically just the movie plus a few extra or alternate bits. Chigurh makes more sense in the book. Moss, to me, was less sympathetic also. The movie is a better movie than the book is a book, but if you really liked one the other will complement it well.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2955 on: May 03, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
I read No Country For Old Men in like 2 days or something. McCarthy wrote it originally as a screenplay, so it's basically just the movie plus a few extra or alternate bits. Chigurh makes more sense in the book. Moss, to me, was less sympathetic also. The movie is a better movie than the book is a book, but if you really liked one the other will complement it well.

Just read it last month and enjoyed it, especially since the film is one of my favorite movies. I really enjoyed Bell's internal dialogues that were in between chapters. Also, I sort of wish they included in the movie the time Moss was with the young girl he picked up. Seems like that was pretty important part, but I know they can't have everything.

I just finished "The Last Season" this week. It's a fascinating story and if you're into the outdoors, you'll love it even more. I highly recommend it.

Irvine-Sucks.com

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #2956 on: May 03, 2018, 10:31:42 AM »

My brain's been gone for a while, but I completely agree with your post.

The last book I've read that really blew my mind was House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski. I know the book can be a bit of a meme, but it's a thrilling read if you can deal with its "gimmicks". It's a post-modern novel, after all. Just keep in mind that, as the epigraph itself says, "this is not for you". 

The novel is composed of a number of texts that interweave and alternate. In some parts, it looks like a big concrete poem. The main text is the academical analysis of a film about an impossible house. The other one are the diaries and commentaries of a troubled young man, who found the text amongst the possessions of a dead neighbor. The young man is baffled by the find: the movie, as far as he knows, does not exist, and neither do most of the sources in the text. Also, his neighbor was completely blind. So how did he come up with this stuff? There's a bonus epistolary novel inside the novel, too. The poems are lost on me, though.

It can be surprisingly funny at times, and it's scary in ways that are never obvious or cheap. It's also revolting: there are times you'll feel like chucking it against a wall, or, say using it as kindling, wink wink nudge nudge... but all in all, reading House of Leaves was one of the highlights of my year so far.

Now for the last book I've finished and didn't like at all... As I Lay Dying. It is a classic, it's well thought of and definitely a masterpiece. But it was a slog and I was glad to finally power through it, even though it's barely 200 pages in a pocket edition. With some very short chapters -- if you read it, you know which one I'm talking about. I like to think that I "got it", but I just didn't enjoy the novel(la?) and can't possibly recommend it. Faulkner is funny but not ha-ha funny.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 197
« Reply #2957 on: May 03, 2018, 04:34:48 PM »
Have you read The Familiar by Danielewski?  It's pretty awesome. The first 5 volumes (out of a proposed 27) are out now but it's on a hiatus.  Amazing experience and while they look massive and intense, word count wise, they're only 200-300 pages long.  It's all of the characteristics of HoL taken to the tenth degree.

jake18

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2958 on: May 03, 2018, 10:20:11 PM »
Read my first McCarthy a few days back, Outer Dark. Great stuff, weird I never read him before. Went on to read the Border Trilogy and Suttree. Have liked everything so far.

Did someone on here mention In the Distance by Hernan Diaz? Or maybe I picked it up somewhere else. Unique take on the Western novel.

jake18

« Reply #2959 on: May 03, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »

I really like Richard Brautigan, but he's not for everyone. His short story collection "Revenge on the Lawn" is good lunch break reading. All of his novels have short chapters too.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #2960 on: May 04, 2018, 05:00:14 AM »
Read my first McCarthy a few days back, Outer Dark. Great stuff, weird I never read him before. Went on to read the Border Trilogy and Suttree. Have liked everything so far.

Did someone on here mention In the Distance by Hernan Diaz? Or maybe I picked it up somewhere else. Unique take on the Western novel.

I mentioned In The Distance. So good. It just got nominated for a Pulitzer too.

Here’s the NY Times article on him this week.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/books/hernan-diaz-in-the-distance.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:02:22 AM by SFblah »

jake18

« Reply #2961 on: May 10, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »

I mentioned In The Distance. So good. It just got nominated for a Pulitzer too.

Here’s the NY Times article on him this week.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/books/hernan-diaz-in-the-distance.html

Oh yeah, thanks for the tip! I keep a big list of books I want to read, so I'm never 100% sure where the recommendations came from.

I really liked In the Distance, but I felt like it kind of petered off at the end...like it sort of bugged me that the first 3/4 of the book are really detailed and the last 1/4 covers a decade or two or more. I would've liked it to either end around the bit in the Grand Canyon or been quite a bit longer.

Not sure if there's a poetry thread or not, but do any of you guys read any good poetry book or collections recently? I just finished My Vocabulary Did This to Me, a collection of Jack Spicer's poems. Looking for new poetry.

handsclapanin

• Rep: 149
« Reply #2962 on: June 11, 2018, 04:01:51 PM »
Just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.
Normally, I would probably have passed this up. It's a newer book. I usually stick with the "classics". Or at least older books. Also, it's almost 800 pages. Another thing I usually shy away from.
But my wife recommended it, so I figured I'd give it a chance. She doesn't read all that much. But flew through this book in like 2 weeks. I'd wake up to pee at 3 in the morning and she would be up, still reading it. It took me closer to 2 months to finish. I'd recommend it. Maybe a little slow going. But once I got into it; it was hard to put down.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:30:25 PM by handsclapanin »

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2963 on: June 11, 2018, 06:10:31 PM »
I'm halfway through "Endurance" right now about an arctic expedition in the early 1900's and its wild stuff. Really interesting and insane what people can endure, no pun intended.

Also just finished "The Other Wes Moore" and I enjoyed it. It sort of ended abruptly, but lots of good stuff to think about.
Irvine-Sucks.com

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2964 on: June 12, 2018, 11:33:15 AM »

Just finished reading this one, and I really dug it. Peter Lamborn Wilson is an individualist anarchist writer, probably known best for TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone, Ontological Anarchy, Poetic Terrorism and his other political stuff from the 80s (mostly written under the pseudonym "Hakim Bey"), but he writes all kinds of weird and very thought-provoking stuff.

This book is his latest (2017). It's fiction--a book of "tales," which differ from short stories in that they are less character driven/psychological and more...imaginative? There's time travel and anarchist hillbilly enclaves and dystopian futures in which people are living on islands formed out of the plastic that floats in the ocean, and with no electricity. At certain points, it's obvious that the tales are serving as sort of display cases for Wilson's utopian ideals, but that didn't bother me so much, as the worlds he envisions are always epicurean (most of his narrators are gourmands or decadents of one sort or another) and primitively dignified/elegant.
I read this one after reading a lot of his more explicitly philosophical/political, "non-fictional" work, but I would recommend the former as a fun introduction to the latter.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 361
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2965 on: June 12, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »
https://taibbi.substack.com/p/chapters-one-and-two-the-business-secrets-of-drug-dealing

Serialized book, first two chapters are free.  Good so far.  Hesitant to pay for that subscription though.

behavioralguide

• Rep: 101
  • dog stuff
« Reply #2966 on: June 12, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »
biggie covered those anyways

Mark Renton

• Rep: 26
« Reply #2967 on: June 19, 2018, 05:25:44 AM »
Just finished The street kids by Pasolini. It was really interesting as it describes the lives of street kids in Rome after WWII.

I bought these two books as an attempt to vary a bit the topics of my readings

The big thirst by Fisherman, suggested by my former water resources management professor

Flow by Csikszentmihalyi, as a self help book for anxiety/depression

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:31:49 AM by Mark Renton »

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -49
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #2968 on: June 19, 2018, 09:17:10 AM »
Isaac Asimov Foundation Trilogy
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

offkilter

• Rep: 39
« Reply #2969 on: June 19, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »
If you're into music, the Miles Davis autobiography is a great read. He uses the word "motherfucker" over 10,000 times in the first chapter.