Author Topic: Adrian Lopez Tribute and Appreciation  (Read 20874 times)

EricLogan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Adrian Lopez tribute...
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:58 AM »
His misled youth part first inspired me to start trying slide tricks that got you moving backwards (front boards, back lips, etc). The backtail fakie down that huge wood hubba still stands as the best one ever, to me at least. You might never see another that big done with that much ease.
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »
i think of all the people jamie helped bring up over the last 15 years, lopez has been my favorite. he helped define those early days for zero, the raw and dirty days. he had a unique style from day one, and i always loved the trick selection and the speed. extremely proper back lips and back tails, and his front blunts were perfect. probably the best full-cabs, too.  bummed to see him stepping away the last few years, but i wish him good luck with loser machine. thanks for posting up that edit jamie, rad to look back.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
I never really paid much attention to Adrian Lopez nor really watched his video parts.  He does appear in this Koston golf article though.  I'll have to watch all those youtube videos and the tribute video.

Krudler

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »
That video makes it seem like he died or something.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 10:06:47 AM »
one of my favorites from the old zero days....  every time i watch his dying to live part i feel like hes dancing while skating to the gypsie kings.... proper looking cabs that looked like he could easily spin an extra 180.... 

his few parts really bummed me out, sucks that hes so harsh on himself... dudes got anxiety problems....

all the best to him....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 11:36:25 AM »
Him and Jamie shared a part in Emerica Color, 96?
I am hapy to se him bow down, but he deffinatly milked it, too many chill ads, neck tats payign hands, and not enough skating.

I wish him luck.

you mean "yellow"

but yeah that praying hands thing was stupid. i know this toy who got that tattooed. praying is for fags and weird lookin people
ONTARIO CANADA

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
So Jamie....is Adrian Lopez going to be a manager of Mystery now?
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 11:41:44 AM »
his misled youth part always stood out the most to me. maybe because me and my friends watched it every single day, right into the mid 2000s. I remember everyone was always blown away by the boardslide he did in misled youth (where the clip is stuck on in the youtube link). i'm pretty short and he was one of the dudes who showed me that you could be short and still have a great looking style. dude deffinetly didn't pussy-foot on a board. props on a long, surely enjoyable career....good luck with the rest!
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

norrin radd

• Rep: -1
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 12:46:17 PM »
back in the mid 90's for some dumb ass reason we rode huge wheels for street i think i had some 56's maybe even 59's (muska influence for sure on that) but i remember lopez's back lip in thrill of it all on the bus benches riding some MASSIVE wheels and thinking, damn...that looks retarted and bulky... been under 53 since, mostly 51.

good luck lopez, i was down for you but i really can't recall any of your parts since dying to live...you got passed up real quick by the other up & comers of your time

theknifesong

• Rep: 19
  • wow!balls!
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
Misled Youth still in my top 3 videos of all the time
I used to watch it so much. The tape was so bad.

Years past and i've started to working in the industry, i was so happy to organize C1RCA tour with all the dudes Lopez, Allie, Ramondetta, Tave... Meet this guys especially Lopez for me was like dream came true.

I was so hyped. This crazy ass "fan" feeling never going to be the same for me again.

Thanks, Adrian! 

tseebs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 01:56:42 PM »
grew up on misled youth. best of luck adrian

Chris P. Bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • CA All Day
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »
first time i saw thrill of it all i was hooked as a kid, i thought his intro walking under the bridge through the water was epic, his part got me into the stones and zero. my friends dad was co owner of circa, and i used to get a pair of adrian lopez circas every month, hope they dont discontinue his shoe, im pretty sure they are one of the best selling skateboard shoes of all time, i remember reading that in his timeline a while back. and misled youth is my favorite video, if i didnt watch that shit everydya i wouldnt be skating now.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2010, 12:37:09 AM »
Adri?n Lopez from Zero dying to live

WHen Dying To Live came out, I was the only one of my friends who dug his part. I don't know if it's because I grew up with The Gypsy Kings in the background of my childhood, or that his whole part was a quick-footed barrage of solid skating. Best of luck Adrian, I hope you look back with a fonder attitude towards your parts.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2010, 11:31:41 AM »
When I saw this thread, my first thought was, "Did Adrian Lopez die?". Glad that's not the case.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2010, 12:21:40 PM »
I still can't get over the fact that he skates like wee-man....
Wee Man Oompa Loompa Skateboarding

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »
i think of all the people jamie helped bring up over the last 15 years, lopez has been my favorite. he helped define those early days for zero, the raw and dirty days. he had a unique style from day one, and i always loved the trick selection and the speed. extremely proper back lips and back tails, and his front blunts were perfect. probably the best full-cabs, too.  bummed to see him stepping away the last few years, but i wish him good luck with loser machine. thanks for posting up that edit jamie, rad to look back.
I was just talking to my bro the other day about how Zero should bring this back...
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDc5iadh_sE

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
That's rad as fuck. The first time I saw footy of him was in the Mystery Black and White preview in New Blood.
[close]

2005?
how old are you?
the first footage I saw of him was in misled youth
18 haha. Yeah I know, I'm a youngin'...
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 09:36:39 PM »
amazing montage. the og quick setup... best of luck to him...
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 519
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
Damn... i was hoping there would be years of Lopez popping up from time to time... Blessing us with his backside 180's. He's got one of the illest looking ones, no doubt.
I was always stoked on the dude because his trick selection was clean... real clean. He always skated fast and powerful. He seemed to stay true to who he was on a skateboard and never switched his style up. His footage from 10 years ago could be ill in video today. Thats what made and makes him dope as fuck.

Lopez is a cool ass dude in life too. I never spent too much time with him outside of seeing him at events or at bars or whatever.. but when i did.. dude was always mad cool.
Respect bro....

Always a fan.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 02:21:17 AM »
Misled Youth was the first video that I really went crazy over. I always loved his part in that and Thrill Of It All, still do. But the guy should have retired about ten years ago. He's definitely not legend status and a guy that is able to have his name on a board regardless of his footage output. He milked the fuck out of his career worse than anyone I can think of.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

dylan makes me wet

• Rep: -32
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 05:22:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I was just talking to my bro the other day about how Zero should bring this back...
yer,definetly
that's why i love brockman so much.because he seems to embody,what i think,zero should be like
raw,crazy,gnarly dudes

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2010, 08:05:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i think of all the people jamie helped bring up over the last 15 years, lopez has been my favorite. he helped define those early days for zero, the raw and dirty days. he had a unique style from day one, and i always loved the trick selection and the speed. extremely proper back lips and back tails, and his front blunts were perfect. probably the best full-cabs, too.  bummed to see him stepping away the last few years, but i wish him good luck with loser machine. thanks for posting up that edit jamie, rad to look back.
[close]
[close]
yer,definetly
that's why i love brockman so much.because he seems to embody,what i think,zero should be like
raw,crazy,gnarly dudes
Jamie's not doing as much these days and Cole is getting more tech. Cervantes, Brockman, Rattray (Go Scotland!), and Sandoval keep it raw on Zero. I wish Allie stayed on Zero, too.
2000 - 2007 is the Zero days I love. It wasn't so kiddie. Not to talk shit, I usually get Zero decks. But I wish the marketing and team image was the same as back in the day. Oh well, Jamie's a smart dude, and a smart businessman. Gotta get something out of the business these days, during the fluctuations of the national economy's status especially.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:09:05 AM by Skwisgaar Skwigelf »

Scallywag crew!

bndla

• Rep: -14
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2010, 12:10:58 PM »
i've always been fan of his bs flips/ollies

MrDreamPop

• Rep: -86
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »
he's a nice guy.  dude gave a couple of the homies his burrito at last year's crossroads.
life poser

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 10:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Totally. Thrill of it all is so sick. That video probably has more slams then makes in it. Its like every dude was doing shit that they probably shouldn't have even been trying. Ellington especially. My favorite part of his is in thrill of it all. That part has so much heart. Also, Aaron Harrison was fucking rad.

I always liked how Adrian Lopez did everything backside or facing backwards (like frontside noseslides, boardslides, and blunts). Back when he first started you didn't see much of that type of stuff going down on handrails either.
Also, not yet discussed, he actually had a really sick backside 5-0.
And to the shit talkers, I think the attitudes are different now because he's retiring. Sure, in his later years I doubt he was zero's top board seller, but he had a long and respectable career, when he's retiring, its better to talk about the good shit about him than talk negatively. He's already out of the game, what more do you want from him?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Rutger Hauer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:07 PM »
I couldn't believe my eyes as I saw him doing those cabs over hydrants. It just wasn't possible in my mind to do that trick at all and definitely not over some as high as a hydrant. And then came the bs tail and lips, damn! And all of his stuff ever (not in Yellow but after that) was filmed so cool, I was (and still am) big fan of Zero filming as those early Zero videos came out. It Made his skating look even better.
"I don't know what my appeal is. I can see I've got blue eyes and don't look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame but I can't understand the fuss."

AfricanPendejo

• Rep: -63
Re: Adrian Lopez Tribute and Appreciation
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2020, 09:16:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
FREE MAX B

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
Re: Adrian Lopez Tribute and Appreciation
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2020, 12:06:18 AM »
LEGEND. His Misled Youth part, no fillers.