Author Topic: The Lakai Pledge  (Read 126688 times)

dillanharp

Re: The Lakai Pledge
« Reply #660 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:22 AM »
I have a pair of canvas Griffins I'm wearing for every day, not skating them, and they make so much god damn noise walking around. squeeking, farting air pockets, fucking ridiculous.

I have some MJ's from the same series(the duck one) and they feel super cheap, cardboard under the insole, thin suede. Not really feeling them. Probably not going to last long.

Edit: I have a pair of suede Griffins that I skate and like quite a bit, so I bought another pair through that Active sale, different color. Un-fucking-wearable. I just got them today and they fit like a completely different shoe and a size smaller at that. Not to mention the god damn flat 70" laces (I might be exaggerating a bit) that came with these make the shoe look like I'm in second grade with giant bows on my feet.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:52:29 PM by Nallid »

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #661 on: August 24, 2015, 08:15:54 PM »
I have a pair of canvas Griffins I'm wearing for every day, not skating them, and they make so much god damn noise walking around. squeeking, farting air pockets, fucking ridiculous.

I have some MJ's from the same series(the duck one) and they feel super cheap, cardboard under the insole, thin suede. Not really feeling them. Probably not going to last long.

The Griffins squeaked on me as well. It was embarrassing.  And I also have a pair of the MJs and they didn't skate well for me, so I wear them as everyday shoes.

I switched the insole to the Griffins I had after the original left one cut into my arch.  I was hesitant about buying any more Lakais, but I just bought the Fura today (since it was on sale, half off the original price), went for a session, and they're actually really good to skate in, they have a good flick and grip. Also, I like Lakais (or any shoe) way better when the logo is small, as it is on the Fura.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #662 on: August 25, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
My Hawk's don't squeak but they flair out around my ankle with each step, it's really odd.

I also like how the lakai logo is small AND black on black.  DC could learn a thing or two (at least the new Cole has text instead of the bro logo).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:22:12 PM by Xen »

dillanharp

« Reply #663 on: August 25, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »
I think the squeeking is the bottom of the insole rubbing on the cheap fucking cardboard that's under it.

Also how can these 2 shoes fit waaaaaaaaaaay different. The top one is confortable and fits well. The bottom is an unwearable piece of shit. Thanks Lakai.

Lonechicken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
« Reply #664 on: August 26, 2015, 06:56:50 AM »
^ Swap out the flat laces for rounds ones.  ;D

dillanharp

« Reply #665 on: August 26, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »
^ Swap out the flat laces for rounds ones.  ;D
I know you're being facetious, but I did that already. Like the look and the flat laces were way too long.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #666 on: August 26, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
Definitely not throwing shade on Lakai because I try to support and skate their stuff as often as I can (as my posting history will bear out), but the Griffin XLK is leaving a little to be desired in the durability department. This might come off as nitpicky, but these shoes have less than 90 minutes of skate time on them and they look hammered. In my opinion, they shouldn't be this rippled and misshaped already. I get that the suede is super thin, but I've had canvas shoes that held their shape longer. (In fact, I have a pair of canvas Camby Mid that have held up longer and are still going strong.)

The threads are torn at the panel stitching, no big deal, it's the typical ollie area. The outsole seems to be chunking off at the toe instead of gradually wearing. Again, I am not complaining or bitching just sharing my experience. I bought these at full shop retail and I don't know that I would pay $70 again for them.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:59:19 PM by heritage »

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 115
« Reply #667 on: August 26, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
Also how can these 2 shoes fit waaaaaaaaaaay different. The top one is confortable and fits well. The bottom is an unwearable piece of shit. Thanks Lakai.

This. 

Not Griffins, but Telfords.  Same shoe, same materials, different colorways, different fit. 

Regardless, I'm down for some Owens that I can try on in store. 
Enjoy your life.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #668 on: August 26, 2015, 05:14:01 PM »
Definitely not throwing shade on Lakai because I try to support and skate their stuff as often as I can (as my posting history will bear out), but the Griffin XLK is leaving a little to be desired in the durability department. This might come off as nitpicky, but these shoes have less than 90 minutes of skate time on them and they look hammered. In my opinion, they shouldn't be this rippled and misshaped already. I get that the suede is super thin, but I've had canvas shoes that held their shape longer. (In fact, I have a pair of canvas Camby Mid that have held up longer and are still going strong.)

The threads are torn at the panel stitching, no big deal, it's the typical ollie area. The outsole seems to be chunking off at the toe instead of gradually wearing. Again, I am not complaining or bitching just sharing my experience. I bought these at full shop retail and I don't know that I would pay $70 again for them.

This is my issue with all skate shoes...

My Adidas Sucius and figgys were the same way...ZX VULC (Sucius colorway) being the worst culprit. The shoes just feel 'cheap', especially certain ones from emerica (to me)

$80 dollar shoes that shit the bed after the first few times skating them. Have you gone to a look at non-skate shoes lately? The quality difference is astounding.

We get raped on skate shoe prices for shoes that are going to get facemelted.

Nike and Adidas make sk8 shoes that actually feel like 'real' shoes...go figure.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:23:40 PM by Xen »

Such

« Reply #669 on: August 27, 2015, 09:13:31 AM »
My Hawk's don't squeak but they flair out around my ankle with each step, it's really odd.

I also like how the lakai logo is small AND black on black.  DC could learn a thing or two (at least the new Cole has text instead of the bro logo).
haha when i skated that shoe the letters just fell of after a week, looked way better without them. some were still on there but i just kinda rubbed them off. shitty glue i guess.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:20:11 AM by such »

Such

« Reply #670 on: August 27, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is my issue with all skate shoes...

My Adidas Sucius and figgys were the same way...Sucius being the worst culprit. The shoes just feel 'cheap', especially certain ones from emerica (to me)

$80 dollar shoes that shit the bed after the first few times skating them. Have you gone to a look at non-skate shoes lately? The quality difference is astounding.

We get raped on skate shoe prices for shoes that are going to get facemelted.

Nike and Adidas make sk8 shoes that actually feel like 'real' shoes...go figure.
ive been skating the sucius for over 10 hours and they arent even worn down at all. they look brand new. and i go through shoes like crazy.

ZEBRA

« Reply #671 on: August 27, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »
Anyone know what the widest Lakai model is?? I know the most narrow is the Griffins.

What about the Griffin XLK?? I want a pair of Lakai's, but every pair I've tried on are too narrow and every where in my area has the same models.

Models I've tried on include: The GuyMar, the newest MJ shoe, The Camby, and The Griffin.

dillanharp

« Reply #672 on: August 27, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
Anyone know what the widest Lakai model is?? I know the most narrow is the Griffins.

What about the Griffin XLK?? I want a pair of Lakai's, but every pair I've tried on are too narrow and every where in my area has the same models.

Models I've tried on include: The GuyMar, the newest MJ shoe, The Camby, and The Griffin.

If you think the Griffin is narrow, stay away from any XLK, they're way more narrow. That last Rick Howard shoe I couldn't even get on my foot.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #673 on: August 27, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »
ive been skating the sucius for over 10 hours and they arent even worn down at all. they look brand new. and i go through shoes like crazy.

Sorry meant he ZXVulcs (I had the suciu colorway).

ZEBRA

« Reply #674 on: August 27, 2015, 11:50:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you think the Griffin is narrow, stay away from any XLK, they're way more narrow. That last Rick Howard shoe I couldn't even get on my foot.

Thanks for the bit of feedback. That shoe looks so good, too. All the color ways are great looking.

Anyone know of a wide Lakai shoe??

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #675 on: August 28, 2015, 07:13:57 AM »

This probably won't help you much, but a couple of the lower end models I've gotten fit my wide feet so that I don't have to go up a half. The Carlo and the Pico. Camby and Marc, I have to go up like most non-Vans.

Thefattony

• Rep: -3
  • "Where America comes to die"
« Reply #676 on: August 28, 2015, 07:40:56 AM »
I really like all the XLK shoes

I am real stoked on the MJ XLK thats due out soon....

I just got a pair of owens and ive found that the Vulc Lakai shoes all run both bigger and wider than the XLKs of the same size, that is coming off 5 straight pairs of the Pico XLK that was my favorite shoe of all time ever, real bummed that they appear to have pulled it from the lineup

dillanharp

« Reply #677 on: August 28, 2015, 08:05:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the bit of feedback. That shoe looks so good, too. All the color ways are great looking.

The Carlo was pretty wide, also that fake mid Marc Johnson shoe was on the wider side as well. I really liked that Marc.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #678 on: August 28, 2015, 08:15:32 AM »
The Guymar is wider for sure.

Such

« Reply #679 on: August 28, 2015, 09:21:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sorry meant he ZXVulcs (I had the suciu colorway).
bro i had the zx too, rodrigo tx colorway, shit was destroyed after 4 hours. i though it was only that colorway but apparently not.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #680 on: August 28, 2015, 09:46:10 AM »

As is the Hawk model; was a toss up between the two, just rolled with the Hawk as it seemed a bit wider.

ZEBRA

« Reply #681 on: September 03, 2015, 10:47:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This probably won't help you much, but a couple of the lower end models I've gotten fit my wide feet so that I don't have to go up a half. The Carlo and the Pico. Camby and Marc, I have to go up like most non-Vans.

Thanks. I'll have to be on the lookout for those models in my area so I can try them on.

ZEBRA

« Reply #682 on: September 03, 2015, 10:48:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As is the Hawk model; was a toss up between the two, just rolled with the Hawk as it seemed a bit wider.

I tried both on. Neither of them are wide enough. I really want both of those shoes, too.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #683 on: September 04, 2015, 03:25:12 AM »
also that fake mid Marc Johnson shoe was on the wider side as well. I really liked that Marc.

Completely agree Nallid. That Marc was actually one of my favorite shoes. For a basic looking vulc I thought it had a lot of subtle tech features and was a great skate shoe.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #684 on: September 08, 2015, 03:58:42 PM »
Expand Quote
also that fake mid Marc Johnson shoe was on the wider side as well. I really liked that Marc.
[close]

Completely agree Nallid. That Marc was actually one of my favorite shoes. For a basic looking vulc I thought it had a lot of subtle tech features and was a great skate shoe.
I have a couple pairs that haven't skated and dont really wear, they are just so heavy.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #685 on: September 09, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I tried both on. Neither of them are wide enough. I really want both of those shoes, too.

I tried them both on as well, GuyMar is a bit wider but it is one of the most uncomfortable shoes right out of the box.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

micky682

« Reply #686 on: November 20, 2015, 05:43:04 PM »
MJs or Rileys?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #687 on: November 21, 2015, 09:48:37 AM »
MJs or Rileys?
Rileys for sure, damn good shoe

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #688 on: November 21, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »
Anyone tried the owen with an fp insole? Is the insole removal in the owen?

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 731
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #689 on: November 21, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »
Is the insole removal in the owen?

Haven't tried them with an FP insole, but yes, the insole is removable.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this