Author Topic: John Fitzgerald AWS life splicing  (Read 17858 times)

somekid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: John Fitzgerald AWS life splicing
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2013, 12:39:43 PM »
Putting your hand on your knee while pushing really bothers me. Besides that, some sick stuff.
yeah, doing stuff that increases your pushing power and gives extra speed totally sucks.

fuck you, dummy.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »
I love work wear, anyone who knows me knows I have been wearing Dickies, Ben Davis, Red Kap, Levi's for years, will still wear them when the flock goes to the next trend.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2013, 01:27:21 PM »
The little slappy to start his line, the 180 (halfcab) the hard way, the crappy rail combo that doesnt look good, ollieing over the back of the rail into the grind. I mean, he skates some big shit that looks sick but then hes got all those filler lines and then the trendy tricks. And then theres his whole workwear uniform that hes suddenly rocking. Its a bit much. He could be on foundation or something and that would make sense but not really workshop.

The workshop editing and the filming really bring it all together more than fitzgerald does. The filming on that first pool line is sick tho. Hes on the team, good for him, but nothing he does screams "legend in the making"

stephendedalus

• Rep: 58
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2013, 01:37:06 PM »
That was so rad. Everything about his skating is so powerful. I feel like his style got a little better too.

And Benny Maglinao killed it on the filming/editing. HD done right.

Agreed -- Mindfield (which I mostly liked) had a "this is how an Alien video is supposed to look, right?" kind of feel. These recent edits are like a inspired continuation of the old videos' tradition instead of just a straight up homage.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:45:33 PM by stephendedalus »

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The little slappy to start his line, the 180 (halfcab) the hard way, the crappy rail combo that doesnt look good, ollieing over the back of the rail into the grind. I mean, he skates some big shit that looks sick but then hes got all those filler lines and then the trendy tricks. And then theres his whole workwear uniform that hes suddenly rocking. Its a bit much. He could be on foundation or something and that would make sense but not really workshop.

The workshop editing and the filming really bring it all together more than fitzgerald does. The filming on that first pool line is sick tho. Hes on the team, good for him, but nothing he does screams "legend in the making"

[close]

I can see what your saying.
[close]
I for one am just fucking stoked to see some legitimate dialogue going on these boards.

* With the half cab f/s 50-50, I feel like the alley-oop aspect does make all the difference. Even a half cab b/s 50-50 is still a good-looking combination of two strong tricks and always will be, but the lil legacy of Grant Taylor resurrecting that trick in Mindfield is still pretty out of hand with the chino pant guys even four years later. I don't know if it's cornier to be biting Grant if you ride for Tum Yeto but would kind of obviously rather be on Alien, or to actually be on Alien and be borrowing from your team mate as the new guy (Boserio, Fitzgerald). And then there's being pro on a DNA team like Daryl Angel and Mikey Taylor, and following leads from younger dudes on your own team who most likely don't even like you.

* It's a personal preference thing, but I back the boardslide-feeble, both for the "Safeway curb" legacy thing that the Thrasher caption noted, and for the fact that Fitzgerald actually split the grind times pretty evenly and dug into that feeble grind; usually dudes are just throwing in a little cute feeble touch at the end.

* I agree with the Sheffey nosegrind. Again, like a half cab 50-50, if you can isolate that trick from the times that its being done in it's a sick trick, but now is not the time. At the least, it shouldn't have been included as a banger. Grant's trick from Mindfield, AVE's trick from Mindfield, Dill's f/s curb slappy from Mindfield, a vicious slam trying to do a Lennie Kirk grind ? knock it off, John. You're on the team.

* I like and I don't like this dude's heavy BA influence. Reintroducing BA's Modus boardslide psycho hubba with a good f/s 5-0, doing a line with BA's signature ledge f/s fakie nosegrind 180, overall style ? the push, physical appearance, and even the way he positions his weight on certain basic tricks like feeble grinds and frontside tails..I don't know, he's probably not fully conscious that he's doing it, and he actually does it pretty well, but even if BA himself is moving on, I don't know if it's right that we get a replacement.

* Skating motor vehicles has always, and will always, rule.

* Ollieing out of that first 50-50 was nice.

* That tall f/s 50-50 drop to 5-0 180 was sick. Just some really radical dumb, caveman shit that you would never expect.

* Skating that last rail, as opposed to going the normal route with a trick over it, and then doing something as simple and subtley weird as a long half cab boardslide was genius.

* I like this dude, but like a lot of ams I think that he just needs to drop his influences more and find his own voice. I feel like Kevin Terpening has actually done a good job of that; maybe he's gone slightly overboard with them, but reinventing both the bean plant and the straight no comply, and that one has always been right in front of everyone's face, is some pro-level insight. The rest of his skating is raw enough to balances it out and avoid getting too gimmicky.

* The workwear thing is true, but I'd at least say that he and his crew do it slightly more naturally than some of those slick motherfuckers on HUF, for instance. Or "corny-ass Eli Reed", even more so. But did any of you guys see that recent photo of the Alien dudes at a bowling alley? Jesus Christ, come on. Workwear does actually make a lot of practical sense for skateboarding, but it's just too inauthentic with most of these dudes. Stop being romantic: you are not your grandfathers and you never will be, and you shouldn't want to be (those guys were assholes). I guess that in a different way it was still slightly inauthentic when Ryan Wilburn or whoever was doing it, but still. At least Peabody actually works construction. Ryan Spencer and Elijah Berle are definitely not bringing it.

* Lastly, I like Forrest, but for the record 360 flip 50-50s, or 5-0s for that matter, are close to as gay as it gets. Maybe he's slightly too young to understand why, but whatever. Young guys: pop shoves to grinds, and by extension 360 flips, are only fabo if brought to your nose. Impossible 50-50s are okay as trick selection because those are two traditionally raw dog tricks, even if Dylan's gonna be doing them.
You're overthinking it. Can we just call this a really good part and walk away?

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I for one am just fucking stoked to see some legitimate dialogue going on these boards.

* With the half cab f/s 50-50, I feel like the alley-oop aspect does make all the difference. Even a half cab b/s 50-50 is still a good-looking combination of two strong tricks and always will be, but the lil legacy of Grant Taylor resurrecting that trick in Mindfield is still pretty out of hand with the chino pant guys even four years later. I don't know if it's cornier to be biting Grant if you ride for Tum Yeto but would kind of obviously rather be on Alien, or to actually be on Alien and be borrowing from your team mate as the new guy (Boserio, Fitzgerald). And then there's being pro on a DNA team like Daryl Angel and Mikey Taylor, and following leads from younger dudes on your own team who most likely don't even like you.

* It's a personal preference thing, but I back the boardslide-feeble, both for the "Safeway curb" legacy thing that the Thrasher caption noted, and for the fact that Fitzgerald actually split the grind times pretty evenly and dug into that feeble grind; usually dudes are just throwing in a little cute feeble touch at the end.

* I agree with the Sheffey nosegrind. Again, like a half cab 50-50, if you can isolate that trick from the times that its being done in it's a sick trick, but now is not the time. At the least, it shouldn't have been included as a banger. Grant's trick from Mindfield, AVE's trick from Mindfield, Dill's f/s curb slappy from Mindfield, a vicious slam trying to do a Lennie Kirk grind � knock it off, John. You're on the team.

* I like and I don't like this dude's heavy BA influence. Reintroducing BA's Modus boardslide psycho hubba with a good f/s 5-0, doing a line with BA's signature ledge f/s fakie nosegrind 180, overall style � the push, physical appearance, and even the way he positions his weight on certain basic tricks like feeble grinds and frontside tails..I don't know, he's probably not fully conscious that he's doing it, and he actually does it pretty well, but even if BA himself is moving on, I don't know if it's right that we get a replacement.

* Skating motor vehicles has always, and will always, rule.

* Ollieing out of that first 50-50 was nice.

* That tall f/s 50-50 drop to 5-0 180 was sick. Just some really radical dumb, caveman shit that you would never expect.

* Skating that last rail, as opposed to going the normal route with a trick over it, and then doing something as simple and subtley weird as a long half cab boardslide was genius.

* I like this dude, but like a lot of ams I think that he just needs to drop his influences more and find his own voice. I feel like Kevin Terpening has actually done a good job of that; maybe he's gone slightly overboard with them, but reinventing both the bean plant and the straight no comply, and that one has always been right in front of everyone's face, is some pro-level insight. The rest of his skating is raw enough to balances it out and avoid getting too gimmicky.

* The workwear thing is true, but I'd at least say that he and his crew do it slightly more naturally than some of those slick motherfuckers on HUF, for instance. Or "corny-ass Eli Reed", even more so. But did any of you guys see that recent photo of the Alien dudes at a bowling alley? Jesus Christ, come on. Workwear does actually make a lot of practical sense for skateboarding, but it's just too inauthentic with most of these dudes. Stop being romantic: you are not your grandfathers and you never will be, and you shouldn't want to be (those guys were assholes). I guess that in a different way it was still slightly inauthentic when Ryan Wilburn or whoever was doing it, but still. At least Peabody actually works construction. Ryan Spencer and Elijah Berle are definitely not bringing it.

* Lastly, I like Forrest, but for the record 360 flip 50-50s, or 5-0s for that matter, are close to as gay as it gets. Maybe he's slightly too young to understand why, but whatever. Young guys: pop shoves to grinds, and by extension 360 flips, are only fabo if brought to your nose. Impossible 50-50s are okay as trick selection because those are two traditionally raw dog tricks, even if Dylan's gonna be doing them.
quoting this so it won't be deleted, one of the funniest and worst posts in a while.

I didn't explain it properly but I had super high expectations for him, that's the only reason I was let down. it is an amazing part, and the half can 5050, a couple of the lines, and the ollie over to crook looked remarkable, like the more fucked up the trick is, the better his style is.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2013, 01:50:24 PM »
this guy is like the second coming of Brian Anderson

cornholio

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
Id prefer a dude pushing with his hand on his knee to a trick then seeing him get towed into it by a motorcycle/car. John killed it.

flempa1one

• Rep: -17
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2013, 02:33:45 PM »
He's clearly hauling ass, but am I the only one wondering if this guy can do a single flip trick??? Definitely stepped his game up tho

era

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »
Halfcab 50-50 on the Stanford hubba. That's some raw power.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 902
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »
This part will be on repeat for awhile. I can see where people are coming from with no fliptricks but I think it's way more refreshing to watch somebody going fast and charging shit as opposed to technical prowess on ledges/rails.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »
This part will be on repeat for awhile. I can see where people are coming from with no fliptricks but I think it's way more refreshing to watch somebody going fast and charging shit as opposed to technical prowess on ledges/rails.

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2013, 03:25:17 PM »
but for the record 360 flip 50-50s, or 5-0s for that matter, are close to as gay as it gets. Maybe he's slightly too young to understand why, but whatever. Young guys: pop shoves to grinds, and by extension 360 flips, are only fabo if brought to your nose. Impossible 50-50s are okay as trick selection because those are two traditionally raw dog tricks, even if Dylan's gonna be doing them.
You've never done a 360 flip 5050, have you? Had you ever done one, you'd know that it feels cools to do and that's all that matters.

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

thunderwood

• Rep: -18
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »
That was a pretty good watch, but in my opinion a lot of the recent Alien Workshop stuff has been walking a fine line of being just a little too serious/pretentious that it's almost laughable.  I mean c'mon we're just skateboarding here.

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2013, 03:51:06 PM »
BA, my ass..
BA does flip tricks..

velocirapedher

• Rep: -13
  • Get fingered!
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »
tail slide kickflip

crunk juice

• Rep: -16
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »
BA? Are you guys for real? BA's a contender for greatest flow on a skateboard of all time. Just being a big guy who charges shit doesn't make you BA. This guy has bad style and is overrated, and doesn't flip his board.

Also, this is the team of Jake Johnson. The standards are higher. Homeboy don't make the cut.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:11:37 PM by crunk juice »

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2013, 04:16:02 PM »
Not sure why this is so controversial. It's a sick clip with some of the best editing in the business and a fun-to-watch skater charging shit.

Had to go back and watch the other Life Splicing vids, fuck they're all great.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

funniest way you could have possibly started that ridiculous jumble of shit

sophisto000

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2013, 04:41:48 PM »
Don't like these BA comparisons, i can kind of see it but i feel like e. berle really embodies the BA vibe. still a good part from john tho....

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2013, 05:07:55 PM »
This thread is headache inducing.  John skates like John and BA skates like BA, they just both have tall dude style.  John is fucking sick, gnarly cool looking spots and a different eye for tricks, how could you not enjoy watching that?  To say he doesn't show Alien potential is ignorant.  Especially while JJ is loved by all for doing wall rides and bank tricks.  I know he was injured and has done fucked up stuff, but the hype around him is a bit much.

Already looking towards the next Life Splicing.  Looks like by the end of them we'll have a really sick full length.. potentially a dvd?

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
I wish I was AWS flow so I can get a reflective gas mask.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »
This thread is headache inducing.  John skates like John and BA skates like BA, they just both have tall dude style.  John is fucking sick, gnarly cool looking spots and a different eye for tricks, how could you not enjoy watching that?  To say he doesn't show Alien potential is ignorant.  Especially while JJ is loved by all for doing wall rides and bank tricks.  I know he was injured and has done fucked up stuff, but the hype around him is a bit much.

Already looking towards the next Life Splicing.  Looks like by the end of them we'll have a really sick full length.. potentially a dvd?

You shut your mouth.

fowlerclone

• Rep: -15
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2013, 06:51:51 PM »

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2013, 07:04:52 PM »
funny that ppl say he is not good for AWS , when AWS pretty much told him to quit zero and come ride for them

AWS has always been known for having a great team , why would they start inviting bad skaters all the sudden ?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2013, 07:44:01 PM »
Some of you guys are idiots. Seriously, he's biting Jason Dill by doing a frontside slappy? I had no idea Jason Dill was the only person who ever has done or is allowed to do frontside slappies. Here I thought they had been around since at least the 80's, if not the late 70's
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

JoeyBear

• Rep: -9
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
funny that ppl say he is not good for AWS , when AWS pretty much told him to quit zero and come ride for them

AWS has always been known for having a great team , why would they start inviting bad skaters all the sudden ?

That's not true. He quit zero cause zero sucks then somehow got on alien.
WWW.THEDENVERSHOP.COM

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
Some of you guys are idiots. Seriously, he's biting Jason Dill by doing a frontside slappy? I had no idea Jason Dill was the only person who ever has done or is allowed to do frontside slappies. Here I thought they had been around since at least the 80's, if not the late 70's
The extreme over-analysis of this combined with people talking about forrest edwards in a thread that had nothing to do with him, I think is a glowing example of the kind of pseudo-intellectual idiots that populate this forum.

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The extreme over-analysis of this combined with people talking about forrest edwards in a thread that had nothing to do with him, I think is a glowing example of the kind of pseudo-intellectual idiots that populate this forum.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »
kidz jus wanna skate like john fitz take big bong ripz like they suckin on long dickz