Author Topic: Ryan Lay appreciation thread  (Read 9061 times)

Silky Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
Re: Ryan Lay appreciation thread
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 08:46:06 PM »

Sad Hippo

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 09:13:09 PM »
What happened with him and Enjoi?

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 09:22:00 PM »
HAMMER REPORT

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 09:38:55 PM »
I believe there's a jenkem interview with him that he explains what happened, it really sucked. Definetly a good read

doyle

• Rep: 213
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I believe there's a jenkem interview with him that he explains what happened, it really sucked. Definetly a good read
http://xgames.espn.com/xgames/skateboarding/article/11706501/interview-ryan-lay-worst-week-life

nothingisspecial

• Rep: -53
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 10:17:34 PM »
Could someone please update me on why and what he did to give everyone on here a major hard on

He called j. Jesse a pussy or what?

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 428
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 10:28:10 PM »
One of my all-time favourite parts

It's funny to me that I've watched this video maybe 40 or 50 times in total and have watched some of the more full length videos from big brands only 2-3 times since coming out. Independent videos are the best and this whole video is a gem.

Irvine-Sucks.com

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1342
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2018, 10:31:23 PM »
Could someone please update me on why and what he did to give everyone on here a major hard on

He called j. Jesse a pussy or what?

He's the only guy in the industry who's posting on IG that is openly critical of the skate industry's rush to congratulate and forgive Jason Jessee for posting an iffy apology for his white power tendencies. Also, Ryan Lay is having a pretty great year so far as far as his skating is concerned.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »
I advise everyone to listen to the bunt with Ryan lay http://soundcloud.com/thebuntlive/the-bunt-s03-episode-4-ft-ryan-lay-i-think-i-got-sponsored-too-young

Listened to it at work today and he is such a smart guy with a great head on his shoulders. One of the few skaters to have finished university. Ill buy his shoe instantly when I see them in a shop so I can try them on, I may even go looking at shops for them this weekend.

He also explains the enjoy story and many other on the bunt.

Get him on the nine club so he can call out Jason Jesse.

Also fuck calling Jason Jesse JJ, thats insulting to jake Johnson, who's the only respectful JJ.

Edit: to the kook that posted after me, Ryan Lay is literally the only person in skateboarding who has spoken out about the issue
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:34:56 PM by expired »

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 04:21:49 PM »
How has dude become a hero of all this shit. Posts shit in his story of other trolls that have zero affiliation with anyone and he's stating the obvious. Also while crossing out the handle of the person. Something so useless makes him Slaps champion. If he sells a few more boards and shoes for it then keep preaching to the choir. He definitely rips though.
Because he is the only professional skater that has had the guts to say anything. This is a giant good ol' boys club. You generally aren't supposed to speak your mind. Freedom of the press in skateboarding is on par with some dictatorships. You have to realize that Ryan is taking a risk here - not a huge one, but a risk nonetheless. I am sure there are plenty of other professionals that are not pleased with the situation, but are keeping their mouths shut.

We should also shout out Live Skateboard Media and The Nut Daily. Only other sources of note willing to say something so far. I hope there are more.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 04:24:20 PM »
How has dude become a hero of all this shit. Posts shit in his story of other trolls that have zero affiliation with anyone and he's stating the obvious. Also while crossing out the handle of the person. Something so useless makes him Slaps champion. If he sells a few more boards and shoes for it then keep preaching to the choir. He definitely rips though.

i think its kind of a backlash to all the people in the industry throwing jason heart emojis or in some cases hailing him a hero for his apology. i agree that ryan lay didnt exactly do much, but i think hes the only to speak up at all, so people are hyped at least one person relevant in skating is saying what were thinking.

the post of ryans im referring to said something along the lines of "speaking out against racism doesnt make you too PC" or something like that

edit: happenstance beat me to it

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »
I hear what you're saying but I just don't see the value in it. If you have issues with industry heads coming out and supporting then call them out. The calling out randoms with their insta handles blocked in your story doesn't really move the needle for me. Just sorta feeds the I'm trying to make a statement but really don't have the balls to do it.

Yu Dum

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 05:57:21 PM »
I hear what you're saying but I just don't see the value in it. If you have issues with industry heads coming out and supporting then call them out. The calling out randoms with their insta handles blocked in your story doesn't really move the needle for me. Just sorta feeds the I'm trying to make a statement but really don't have the balls to do it.
I see what you’re saying, but I think he’s doing it to show how deeply engrained this shit is within our beloved skateboarding without ousting anyone due to a respect of one’s personal privacy.
Also, before someone says “well, he’s violating their privacy by posting what they said.” If he’s blocking the names, then there is no privacy to invade.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -215
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 06:14:31 PM »
His shared part with Daryl Angel in Filmbot Files was sick. Great song too. Glad I bought the DVD because it’s not on YouTube.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 06:14:39 PM »
He had the sickest ad in my local magazine some years back. Balanced 5-0 on a sketchy handicap round rail in the crust.
Ryan rules! 

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2018, 11:49:31 PM »
Ryan Lay is producing a new generation of rippers that is nobull as fuck

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »
Please move this thread to the appreciation section so it's easier to find.

Welcome, you should be rushing some shirts into production that say something about fully supporting, or standing behind Ryan Lay. 

I just don't really like how your boards feel, so I doubt I'll be grabbing the one Lay deck you have on your site.  Wouldn't hurt to give the guy a second model (other shape or graphics, some people might buy all of them).  But if some proceeds went to his foundation, I'd certainly buy one of the shirts.

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2018, 04:15:14 AM »
Hi, just trying to get these bullshit racist thr reads to page 2
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »
Why are people all about him? Because his words and actions are all those of a person who truly believes skateboarding is for everybody. He took a risk that literally no other known pros would by not going with the status quo and actually spoke out about white supremacists in skateboarding. More importantly, he also does the much less glamorous work in running an after school skateboarding program in Phoenix for underserved kids. His words and actions add up to one conclusion: this dude thinks there’s room for everybody in skating. In the end, it doesn’t matter if he spoke up against that washed up clinger Jason Jessee, or somebody who actually has been relevant in the past 25 years, his words AND actions make him a dude actually worth admiring in skateboarding, unlike all these ass kissing nazi lovers. And yeah, its worth it to reward him for taking that apparent risk. I bought his board too, even though its an 8.6 and a non-traditional shape. Not sure what I’ll do with it once I get it, but want to put my money where my mouth is so I got one. I’m hoping to see them sell out.

Back to the topic at hand. The Oakland courthouse is actually a fun spot aside from the death ledge off the 10. I used to skate there a lot, and there was a guy named Joe who was homeless but essentially made that spot his basecamp. He was there every day, getting stoked when people did tricks, calling out “EMBARASSING!” when people fucked up trying a trick. He was there for everything that went down at the spot. He’d talk up this and that, but it was very clear that Ryan’s trick was his favorite. “This guy came here, jumped up on this, THEN RODE ON THE WALL ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND! You can’t do that!” We knew exactly what he was talking about, and Ive always been stoked on how much he loved that trick, which really ia fucking insane.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
I remember really liking this old part from a Powell video where he was really young, skating to Dylan but it's not online unfortunately. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 136
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
Its not a Powell part but I remember Dylan's shelter from the storm in the video. And bandanas. Been a fan since.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2018, 12:42:01 PM »
Its not a Powell part but I remember Dylan's shelter from the storm in the video. And bandanas. Been a fan since.

Yes. Exactly. Thought it was Powell, maybe it was Filmbot files.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2018, 03:07:05 PM »
I bough Ryan’s deck even though it’s way too big than I wanted my next deck to be. I even bought it through the welcome store to so they would get the profits.

I tried to buy his shoes at a local shop today but they didn’t have them.

I donated to his charity too.

Have to support the good guys.

McFarty

• Rep: -35
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2018, 03:51:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes. Exactly. Thought it was Powell, maybe it was Filmbot files.

It was Peter Vlad's Wonderful Horrible Life with Buster O'Shea amazing music choices ♥

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2018, 05:47:12 PM »
I bough Ryan’s deck even though it’s way too big than I wanted my next deck to be. I even bought it through the welcome store to so they would get the profits.
Did the same thing, but it seems close enough to the P9/kev1 Polar shape that I like.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »
dude is killing it. super sick to watch his footage.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 04:33:31 AM »
but does he bring it down the pipe to mami?

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2018, 06:40:16 AM »
The guy is really underrated in my opinion. I saw him skate at a Ipath demo at my local skatepark in MN awhile ago and he was just killing it. Skating super fast, skating up everything, and just looked great doing it. He switch back tailed the tallest ledge (guessing it was almost 2 ft tall, could be completely wrong). Anyways, he's also been a personal favorite; great trick selection, good style, skates fast, etc. Don't really care about the whole Jason Jesse fiasco because I don't really know what's going besides Jesse having a swastika. The irony is that the swastika actually used to be a religious symbol that the nazis took and literally spun it around to make it their own symbol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika).