Author Topic: 2024 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 47435 times)

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
Re: 2024 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #720 on: May 01, 2024, 08:07:06 PM »
@work_lurker that was very well put. found a lil mini ditch after work and well after 9 last night. livin the unpopular dream

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #721 on: May 01, 2024, 09:44:21 PM »
After 9pm > skating any other time of the day

I also prefer a night session. I’ve always been a night person in general and skating at night is great.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #722 on: May 01, 2024, 09:45:40 PM »
@work_lurker that was very well put. found a lil mini ditch after work and well after 9 last night. livin the unpopular dream

Sick trick and cool spot!

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #723 on: May 01, 2024, 10:37:55 PM »
thanks @Southernmost  I imagined all sorts of cool flips in and out, in the end, this was the limit of my abilities, and I had a great time.

Dad Board

• Rep: 78
« Reply #724 on: May 01, 2024, 11:04:57 PM »
In response to the dude who prefers skateparks without copying a wall of text: I’d just like to say you must have some rad parks available and have the patience of a saint because anytime I can usually go to a skatepark it’s full of of actual children whipping scooters around or doing fuckin laps on toddler bikes as their parents stand back and ignore young Aiden almost getting taken out by someone 3x his size because he decided to ride in front of me right while I’m dropping in. Not to mention the 18-25 crowd who show up and turn the entire place into Tampa am while I fumble around trying to get some basic trick I’ve done 100 times. I’m too old to get snaked by a bunch of kids who don’t understand or give a shit about etiquette, or keep up with the younger guys in their prime. It’s either show up early or late enough to avoid it or just go find a nice quiet street spot where I can fuck around or take it as seriously as I want to without being bothered by any outside interference. Security hasn’t been a big issue for me in a long time but I also seek out low profile spots. Just feels better to me to get a make on something that wasn’t designed for skateboarding.

oldfart

• Rep: 24
« Reply #725 on: May 02, 2024, 02:47:59 AM »
Everything you said but this in particular

It’s either show up early or late enough to avoid it or just go find a nice quiet street spot where I can fuck around or take it as seriously as I want to without being bothered by any outside interference.

Been skating today 1st time since Saturday. Knee felt okayish. 8:15 AM  8)

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #726 on: May 02, 2024, 03:03:17 AM »
In response to the dude who prefers skateparks without copying a wall of text: I’d just like to say you must have some rad parks available and have the patience of a saint because anytime I can usually go to a skatepark it’s full of of actual children whipping scooters around or doing fuckin laps on toddler bikes as their parents stand back and ignore young Aiden almost getting taken out by someone 3x his size because he decided to ride in front of me right while I’m dropping in. Not to mention the 18-25 crowd who show up and turn the entire place into Tampa am while I fumble around trying to get some basic trick I’ve done 100 times. I’m too old to get snaked by a bunch of kids who don’t understand or give a shit about etiquette, or keep up with the younger guys in their prime. It’s either show up early or late enough to avoid it or just go find a nice quiet street spot where I can fuck around or take it as seriously as I want to without being bothered by any outside interference. Security hasn’t been a big issue for me in a long time but I also seek out low profile spots. Just feels better to me to get a make on something that wasn’t designed for skateboarding.

This pretty much summarizes perfectly my existence as a skateboarder. Thanks.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #727 on: May 02, 2024, 03:59:03 AM »
My local skate park never has more than 3 kids in it. I love it. Perks of small town living.

sle_epy

• Rep: -96
« Reply #728 on: May 02, 2024, 04:53:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This pretty much summarizes perfectly my existence as a skateboarder. Thanks.

We have like 5 parks in a city that isn't kid friendly and I still usually prefer the fun, quiet street spots to any of em. Close second is one of our great diy's but they can become oversaturated with the early 20s rippers you mentioned at times.

That said I certainly don't mind the impromptu pro-am level demos I get to see some times while I'm catching my breath. It's not like I'm skating what they're skating anyway.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #729 on: May 02, 2024, 08:37:43 AM »
I generally enjoy my interactions w/ security these days.
I’m too old to argue with ‘em so I try to make nice. You know… Honey instead of salt?
But 9 out of 10 times, when they get up close & realize the dude they’ve come to eject is old enough to be their dad, if not grandfather, they’re usually taken aback by the sight of a grey, balding senior fiddling around on a skateboard & let me get a few more tries without much begging.
Couple times now, the guard has even stuck around to cheer me on until I landed my trick or just plum gave up trying it ‘cause it wasn’t gonna happen.
#GeriatricPass

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

DERBY

• Rep: 269
« Reply #730 on: May 02, 2024, 09:37:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Waistband pants are only acceptable if you are graduating from diapers……you’re a big boy now…
[close]

You can pry my gramicci pants from my cold dead hands!

I fuckin love these things lol.
[close]

I’m never going back to the button. Give me the fucking waistband always.
[close]

My gramicci pants tore at the pocket after a couple times through the wash. I emailed their customer service team with a few pictures and they sent me a new pair.

would ya recommend sizing up? i usually wear a 30 waist but am looking at a large. got my eyes on the loose tapered joints

djoekr

• Rep: 313
« Reply #731 on: May 02, 2024, 10:05:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Waistband pants are only acceptable if you are graduating from diapers……you’re a big boy now…
[close]

[close]

[close]

My gramicci pants tore at the pocket after a couple times through the wash. I emailed their customer service team with a few pictures and they sent me a new pair.
[close]

would ya recommend sizing up? i usually wear a 30 waist but am looking at a large. got my eyes on the loose tapered joints

They fit tighter than Polar Surf Pants, which are kinda similair. Not the fit per se, but the material is much thicker than the Surf pants. I normally wear a 32/33 and the L fits me real nice. I actually bought them because my two previous pairs of Surf pants ripped for reasons unknown at the pockets as well.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

work_lurker

• Rep: 92
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #732 on: May 02, 2024, 10:20:12 AM »

Looks like a fun spot! Sick timing with the truck passing in the back too.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #733 on: May 02, 2024, 11:06:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Well, didn't think I'd leave this thread with anything useful, and now I have a new pair of pants on the way. I went with the NN pants in olive (unpopular opinion)

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #734 on: May 02, 2024, 03:44:48 PM »
Arto in Mindfield > Arto in Sorry

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #735 on: May 02, 2024, 03:53:44 PM »

In terms of what though? Just curious

lurkluke

• Rep: 189
« Reply #736 on: May 02, 2024, 03:57:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Looks like a fun spot! Sick timing with the truck passing in the back too.

Yeah that timing was perfect.

One thing I love about skating is I enjoy clips like this, as much as I enjoy clips like Tyshawn's tre or whatever. It's all fun to watch.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #737 on: May 02, 2024, 05:02:33 PM »
White socks look tacky, black or dark colored socks only.

sparklingrainwater

• Rep: -2
« Reply #738 on: May 02, 2024, 05:05:41 PM »
SOTY means nothing considering there's no alternate opinions that are big enough to go against Thrasher. Also Tyshawn openly stating he wants to win a bunch of them kinda ruins the illusion.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
« Reply #739 on: May 02, 2024, 05:38:50 PM »
SOTY means nothing considering there's no alternate opinions that are big enough to go against Thrasher. Also Tyshawn openly stating he wants to win a bunch of them kinda ruins the illusion.

I kind of understand what you mean but aren't most "sports awards" like that.

I'm not a sports dude at all, so I might be totally wrong, but is it not usually like one governing organisation that gets to dictate who the world champion, or player of the year or whatever the fuck else is - I assume that is usually based on stats in actual "sports" but there must be some kind of subjective awards?

SOTY is lightly entertaining/fascinating to me, but it's not really that big of a deal is it?
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #740 on: May 02, 2024, 05:51:09 PM »
He’s starting on this year’s with a different trick at the same spot. Maybe later in the year he’ll switch flip it and maybe switch 180 a picnic table. Thrasher will award him another SOTY for a mediocre output.

Ninj2

• Rep: -93
« Reply #741 on: May 02, 2024, 06:14:59 PM »
Egg shaped boards are disgusting and so are hard boiled eggs. Why you want to eat something that smell like a fart?why you ride egg? It look like a fart.

Ninj2

• Rep: -93
« Reply #742 on: May 02, 2024, 06:19:25 PM »
If you rode egg tho and did sale grind that should be called egg salad sandwich witch coincidently also disgusting

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #743 on: May 02, 2024, 06:31:47 PM »
After 9pm > skating any other time of the day

Younger me would agree but old man me is trying to be at the park by 9am and out to lunch by noon. Especially in the summer time. Fuck this Midwest heat and humidity.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #744 on: May 02, 2024, 06:47:32 PM »
If you rode egg tho and did sale grind that should be called egg salad sandwich witch coincidently also disgusting

How did you come up with this and think egg salad grind didn’t sound sick? I don’t fuck w egg salad but that trick name is money
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Dad Board

« Reply #745 on: May 02, 2024, 06:50:53 PM »
Egg shaped boards are disgusting and so are hard boiled eggs. Why you want to eat something that smell like a fart?why you ride egg? It look like a fart.

Both are phenomenal. Put some hot sauce on that shit and you’re golden.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • sup dog
« Reply #746 on: May 02, 2024, 07:09:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
How did you come up with this and think egg salad grind didn’t sound sick? I don’t fuck w egg salad but that trick name is money
Something tells me that NinjaWoopWoop! was not talking about food or skateboarding at all.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Dad Board

« Reply #747 on: May 02, 2024, 07:50:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Something tells me that NinjaWoopWoop! was not talking about food or skateboarding at all.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #748 on: May 02, 2024, 09:49:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In terms of what though? Just curious
If I'm watching just one arto part it would be mindfield. its a more interesting part and kind of the peak of his ability. But you do need the sorry part to compare to if all he ever put out was mindfield he wouldn't be an all time great.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #749 on: May 02, 2024, 10:05:41 PM »
Skateboarding needs a new word for the word “tricks”. “Tricks” always sounds funny to me now. I think of a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat. It’s too hard to make a word last. You can’t just be using a word that’s too slick and goes out of style 2 years later.