Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 176875 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2730 on: October 03, 2023, 12:02:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't get how people skate high. I did that a couple days ago and absolutely hated it. Couldn't concentrate and felt really light headed.
[close]

I cannot imagine operating a skateboard drunk or high. I am also baffled how anyone could manage this.
[close]
Skating drunk is easy it’s just a bad idea
[close]
I can definitely skate high, sometimes fantastically - skating drunk however is wild, truly incomprehensible!
It’s easy if you start drinking while you’re skating. Getting drunk and then trying to skate is a bit tougher but I’ve convinced myself it’s a good idea plenty of times

MrDuckey

• Rep: -97
« Reply #2731 on: October 03, 2023, 12:07:31 PM »
Mike Mo & Malto were always a bit overrated. Cory Kennedy & Shane O'Neill were skating at a higher level in 2005-2010 but it took longer to be discovered

manysnakes

« Reply #2732 on: October 03, 2023, 01:48:55 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm getting tired of seeing fast fashion seep into skating. Feels like there are too many options for clothing all the time from every company. An overflow of clothes that feels wasteful. Honestly a fair amount of the clothes are appealing, and then it's also mentally exhausting to continually maintain the strength to not spend money.
[close]

soft goods are the only way skateboard companies make money, they dont make money on skateboards, why do you hate skateboarding etc. i dont understand it any more than you do.

These charges get leveled against me here anytime I say that I would basically never buy any clothing produced by a skate brand.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #2733 on: October 03, 2023, 02:19:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Skateboard is in a big lull at the moment, and most of that has to do with SOTY 'season' imo...
[close]

Did you miss all the videos that just came out? Jacuzzi, Huf, Vans, Fabi part,  Madars part, Lakai full length, Yuto part, Primitive dropped a bunch of stuff (define raw, skatepark footie, Giovanni part that was nuts), Adam Davies just flipped in and out of a rail, Taylor Kirby part, Sour video...

Plus SLS, and Olympic quals.

That's all in the last month.

Static 6 coming as soon as it’s premiere tour wraps

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 67
  • Uncle Flea for Editor and Chief.
« Reply #2734 on: October 03, 2023, 04:15:08 PM »
Most adult beginners should not start skateboarding.

I’d make an exception for people with a background in speed / potential collision sports like ice skating or skiing…but if you never slammed as a kid, being 40 is not the time to start.

The skate industry loves adult beginners because they buy lots of gear. But practicing bullshit pop Shuvs in the garage does not prepare a person for speed, and sitting all day (which is what a lot of adult beginners do) isn’t exactly good training for running out of potential accidents at the edge of their abilities. I know that isn’t necessarily a charitable opinion, but most adult continue-ers generally pay attention to their conditioning in some form (particularly the older we get)
Too many adult beginners are in no condition to take the risks inherent in skateboarding

Vroom.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 61
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2735 on: October 03, 2023, 04:37:04 PM »
I like my redkap pants more than my dickies

Tonyhawk-prostate

• Rep: -120
« Reply #2736 on: October 03, 2023, 05:42:21 PM »
I might go to hell for this, but

Laban - juggling = 1993’s soty

Salman Agah winning this shit is extremely baffling.

All he did, was just an A+ for effort doing switch. His real video part was extremely overrated. Boring early stage switch snoozers and the ender was funny with that bible quote.

If they really hanged for creativity they would’ve done Rodney Mullen

Rodney Mullen’s virtual reality part do I have to explain it?? amazing. blasting away from the freestyle world perfectly landing onto the streets.

But If thrasher continued the gnar streak at the time laban would’ve definitely won it

But at the same time Laban became obscure with his juggling shit so yeah.

Laban for the past few years was constantly shifting and evolutionizing his style to a point where Laban’s “memoirs” part of the invisible team became a high note for him at least. 90s gnar add it’s finest paired with some rooftop action but it end’s with E MOTHER M FUCKING B. Kickflip

Yeah not to also mention his “caught cleaness” (bolts but actually in the heels I’d like to think of)
Big fat nollie tre

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #2737 on: October 03, 2023, 07:24:54 PM »

hate the dickies pants. never could skate in them, like they dont stretch at all.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #2738 on: October 03, 2023, 08:24:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hate the dickies pants. never could skate in them, like they dont stretch at all.
You should try their skate line, they have some elastane on them.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2739 on: October 03, 2023, 09:58:28 PM »
Square shaped pizza hits different

Bobbybanana

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2740 on: October 03, 2023, 10:24:15 PM »
Cyrus on Osiris
Hangin' with a cool bunch

apbarbs

• Rep: 50
« Reply #2741 on: October 04, 2023, 12:22:40 AM »

I’d make an exception for people with a background in speed / potential collision sports like ice skating or skiing…but if you never slammed as a kid, being 40 is not the time to start.

The skate industry loves adult beginners because they buy lots of gear. But practicing bullshit pop Shuvs in the garage does not prepare a person for speed, and sitting all day (which is what a lot of adult beginners do) isn’t exactly good training for running out of potential accidents at the edge of their abilities. I know that isn’t necessarily a charitable opinion, but most adult continue-ers generally pay attention to their conditioning in some form (particularly the older we get)
Too many adult beginners are in no condition to take the risks inherent in skateboarding

i'm kind of into this take

my friend's 5 year old daughter wanted a skateboard for her birthday last year so i put together a complete for her - since then, she's gravitated way more towards the scooter, which completely makes sense - at that age, sometimes parent and child just want to go with what's comfortable and what the kid can learn faster on - the learning curve of skateboarding is too steep for a lot of kids, and i could see not wanting to go through the learning process as a 30+ year old too - this is why pickleball has exploded in popularity - you just get way more return of investment (i.e. fun vs time put in) over tennis, especially if you can only play infrequently

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2742 on: October 04, 2023, 02:28:20 AM »

i'm in a group chat with 40+ years old people (mainly beginners) and had this thought a few days ago.
I felt like they really don't know how to fall, when they fail/fall they get hurt and more often than not they end up with serious injuries like fractures and stuff. But man they are really stoked to hit the pumptrack

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #2743 on: October 04, 2023, 10:10:13 AM »
I'm getting tired of seeing fast fashion seep into skating. Feels like there are too many options for clothing all the time from every company. An overflow of clothes that feels wasteful. Honestly a fair amount of the clothes are appealing, and then it's also mentally exhausting to continually maintain the strength to not spend money.
the clothing industry in general and the amount of waste and damage done to the environment from producing clothes is truly despair inducing shit. as far as fast fashion seeping into skating, i'm not sure if it's any different than the way it's always been? obviously the skate market is completely oversaturated and there are a magnitude more brands now, but skate companies have always pumped out cheaply-made soft goods by the season, we just weren't always privy to the catalogs the shops got. along with other pointless shit, like board brand wheels.

manysnakes

« Reply #2744 on: October 04, 2023, 12:09:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

soft goods are the only way skateboard companies make money, they dont make money on skateboards, why do you hate skateboarding etc. i dont understand it any more than you do.
[close]

These charges get leveled against me here anytime I say that I would basically never buy any clothing produced by a skate brand.
[close]

why would you

Because subsidizing Limosine Skateboards is apparently my personal responsibility.

truthislie

• Rep: 60
« Reply #2745 on: October 04, 2023, 12:13:28 PM »
I might go to hell for this, but

Laban - juggling = 1993’s soty

Salman Agah winning this shit is extremely baffling.

All he did, was just an A+ for effort doing switch. His real video part was extremely overrated. Boring early stage switch snoozers and the ender was funny with that bible quote.

If they really hanged for creativity they would’ve done Rodney Mullen

Rodney Mullen’s virtual reality part do I have to explain it?? amazing. blasting away from the freestyle world perfectly landing onto the streets.

But If thrasher continued the gnar streak at the time laban would’ve definitely won it

But at the same time Laban became obscure with his juggling shit so yeah.

Laban for the past few years was constantly shifting and evolutionizing his style to a point where Laban’s “memoirs” part of the invisible team became a high note for him at least. 90s gnar add it’s finest paired with some rooftop action but it end’s with E MOTHER M FUCKING B. Kickflip

Yeah not to also mention his “caught cleaness” (bolts but actually in the heels I’d like to think of)

This reminds me of another maybe unpopular opinion: Make SOTY less relevant again. I don´t think people gave too much of a shit about it in the early 90s. Would be nice to have that back and video parts spread more evenly during the year.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #2746 on: October 04, 2023, 12:19:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why would you

the post a fit thread reminds me of all the dudes i see around town who "used to skate" but all drive outbacks around now
Cause I want to. I don’t care if I’m not dressing my age or some shit

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #2747 on: October 04, 2023, 12:37:36 PM »
If you’re not skating in a blazer and slacks as an adult what are you doing?
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Dustgod

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2748 on: October 04, 2023, 01:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why would you

the post a fit thread reminds me of all the dudes i see around town who "used to skate" but all drive outbacks around now

Makes me curious about what your fits are like as wel as how/where you procure them. Not knocking your perspective, I just find it interesting that a skater would be so averse to skate “fashion”
Nice to meet you, I’m a artis

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #2749 on: October 04, 2023, 01:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
You should try their skate line, they have some elastane on them.

Fuck that. Its cheap and baggy time again my man.

Dustgod

« Reply #2750 on: October 04, 2023, 01:32:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why would you
[close]

Because subsidizing Limosine Skateboards is apparently my personal responsibility.

It seems like if no one bought soft goods then most companies would end up folding. Wouldn’t that be a bad thing?

apbarbs

« Reply #2751 on: October 04, 2023, 01:33:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why would you

[close]

Makes me curious about what your fits are like as wel as how/where you procure them. Not knocking your perspective, I just find it interesting that a skater would be so averse to skate “fashion”

??? what kind of a question is this
skate brands make up a tiny tiny fraction of all the clothing brands in the world lol, you realize it's harder to 'procure' skate clothes than otherwise?

Dustgod

« Reply #2752 on: October 04, 2023, 01:42:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why would you

[close]

[close]

skate brands make up a tiny tiny fraction of all the clothing brands in the world lol, you realize it's harder to 'procure' skate clothes than otherwise?

It’s a question about what they don’t like about skate clothes and about what clothes they do like. Lol

manysnakes

« Reply #2753 on: October 04, 2023, 02:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why would you
[close]

[close]

It seems like if no one bought soft goods then most companies would end up folding. Wouldn’t that be a bad thing?

This is why I tithe 1/3 of my paycheck to the skateboard industry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2754 on: October 04, 2023, 02:06:31 PM »
Someone’s mad at their big boys…..

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #2755 on: October 04, 2023, 02:09:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why would you

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s a question about what they don’t like about skate clothes and about what clothes they do like. Lol

i know no one was asking me, but i too am a non-"skate clothes" wearer, a large part of it for me is that I just don't buy brand new clothes and finding second hand skate clothes is not really that common - or it tends to be absolute shit if you do find it.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -141
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #2756 on: October 04, 2023, 02:15:30 PM »
Said it before I'll say it again vests and cargos and chains and fitted caps. Peak skate fashion was function over fasihion and had the tech you needed.

Colin McKay X Games 1999. Too ill.

RDS keep it real.

https://reddragonapparel.com/

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 02:28:16 PM by Groondor the Orc »

apbarbs

« Reply #2757 on: October 04, 2023, 02:35:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why would you

[close]

[close]

[close]

you can buy second hand clothing from quality brands, even "designer" brands, for less than the cost of a lot of new skate clothing
i say this having bought both, and the quality of materials, fit, and construction of "skate clothes" just doesn't compare to clothing made by companies that focus on making clothes

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -141
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #2758 on: October 04, 2023, 02:46:25 PM »
you can buy second hand clothing from quality brands, even "designer" brands, for less than the cost of a lot of new skate clothing
i say this having bought both, and the quality of materials, fit, and construction of "skate clothes" just doesn't compare to clothing made by companies that focus on making clothes

You wash your mouth out right now. I have never experienced 'non skate' clothing and I don't as hell want to experience it even second hand through your lived experience. Get out of my house.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #2759 on: October 04, 2023, 02:49:06 PM »
i still abide by the classic rule that dressing like you don't skate is cooler than dressing like you do skate