Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 54863 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #600 on: May 06, 2024, 01:43:30 PM »
The people shitting on Ben I can almost guarantee do not have 3 kids and have no clue what that would be like. I wish I had a statistic but like often times once there is one child even in the mix your skating is down to a minimum. The guys who are hating I guarantee would pack it up if they were in remotely same situation

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1659
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #601 on: May 06, 2024, 02:56:33 PM »
The people shitting on Ben I can almost guarantee do not have 3 kids and have no clue what that would be like. I wish I had a statistic but like often times once there is one child even in the mix your skating is down to a minimum. The guys who are hating I guarantee would pack it up if they were in remotely same situation

Not to mention the exchange rate.
1 child USA = 1.3 children CAN
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #602 on: May 07, 2024, 06:56:44 AM »

Also what if it's true? The shoes work great for him? So he should downplay it so you think he's more balanced. Dude is thankfully off Etnies and he's now skating Asics.
His insatiable need to be different got him saying the army green with black soles asics is whack and the orange and white Japan pros is sick. For the record I like the orange ones but his reasoning is so fucking dumb. Maybe the conventions chose the colorway because it is tasteful and will sell because its tasteful.

Also the orange ones only work for people who arent so anal about everything. It's a carefree colorway.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #603 on: May 07, 2024, 08:24:27 AM »
I thought those army green looked sick!
I am just buying sale stuff from now on anyway. 
lol it is kinda wild how many canadian people they use to push ASICS skate but you cant even get them in Canada. Feels like I am back in the 90s with how long its taking them to get over here (maybe its not worth their time?)

Natas_Fauxas

• Rep: 102
« Reply #604 on: May 19, 2024, 11:30:29 AM »
🚨🚨ILLEGAL!!!! 👇👇👇🚨🚨

Shtonk

• Rep: -472
« Reply #605 on: May 19, 2024, 01:21:51 PM »

So you think people are shitting on Ben because he doesn't skate enough? Or you're saying everyone with 3 kids turns into an anal gear-mad unironic dude? Or what are you actually saying? I check all your boxes and I still don't like Ben very much except for his DIY building videos those are fucking on point.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -321
« Reply #606 on: May 19, 2024, 02:56:38 PM »

No one gives a fuck about his kids. He’s just gotten played out and corny. All of the setup madness stuff was kinda dumb too, but there’s an audience for that. He “quits” YT then is immediately back shilling for Vans. Support your family sure, but his whole schtick has gotten really tired.

I’ll stick with Tom Asta, Brad Cromer, and Figgy for my skater-YT content.

smellymoron69

• Rep: -18
« Reply #607 on: May 19, 2024, 03:22:38 PM »
Tom Asta shills for a fucking water bottle company on his channel lmao. Not that I even care, I like Tom's channel. What's the huge problem with sponsored content? Does Thrasher Magazine shill for Vans by taking their money and printing their ads? When you watch other YouTube videos not related to skating and there's sponsored content, do you sperg out about that too? The arbitrary purity tests in skateboarding are so lame.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -321
« Reply #608 on: May 19, 2024, 03:56:17 PM »
Tom Asta shills for a fucking water bottle company on his channel lmao. Not that I even care, I like Tom's channel. What's the huge problem with sponsored content? Does Thrasher Magazine shill for Vans by taking their money and printing their ads? When you watch other YouTube videos not related to skating and there's sponsored content, do you sperg out about that too? The arbitrary purity tests in skateboarding are so lame.

Tom fucking rips that’s the difference. Sure Tom has a water sponsor, he shouts it out and then the rest of the video is just him ripping. He just skates, nothing else. He’ll mention his setup a little bit but product isn’t what his channel revolves around. I’d much rather watch him rip a park than watch Ben review anything or rehash his setup madness for the hundredth time. Ben just “reviews” new shit, talks about how it’s totally making frontside flips easier or some BS and then does some whatever tricks to “demonstrate”. It’s all product oriented BS.

I don’t care if you have a sponsor but if your YT content only focuses on product and reviews, I find that very boring

CarcassToss

• Rep: 49
« Reply #609 on: May 19, 2024, 06:06:01 PM »
Are you mad that Ben also skates better than you?

He seems pretty well respected by people he's come across in the industry from Feedback Ted to basically every company he's consulted with. I think he owns his nerd-dom and is pretty damn consistent.

Considering most skaters his age blather on about how loose the trucks are on the egg they don't actually pop off the ground it's impressive he's actually relearned all his shit from his youth and is extremely consistent. He's got madness, but he still progresses despite it and isn't a complete kook about it. And let's be real he wouldn't have had any success if people didn't like the content or found him grating.

Tom Asta is great, but he's also a pro that never really made it to the A status level kinda like Walker Ryan (except Walker has recently put out incredibly good parts) or Kelly Hart. If I wanna watch a pro skate I don't care about their local park.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #610 on: May 19, 2024, 08:38:40 PM »
It was really adorable seeing Ben work.with his daughter. Got to see a different side of him. I hope he does more vids like this.

Shtonk

• Rep: -472
« Reply #611 on: May 20, 2024, 12:17:40 AM »

You don't think a channel based around reviews should draw its relevance from a degree of objectivity?

heinzketchup

• Rep: 58
« Reply #612 on: May 20, 2024, 12:35:42 AM »
Let ben post his little Videos, he knows the setup nerd shit is stupid and even says it but he probably just enjoys doing it and talking about it, learned a lot from Ben, pay the man
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 12:53:21 AM by heinzketchup »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #613 on: May 20, 2024, 05:29:48 AM »
Bens the man. Always happy to see him.

Those orange ASICS are hideous though.

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #614 on: May 20, 2024, 05:34:05 AM »
You guys are getting pretty worked up over something you can literally choose not to watch…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gunot

• Rep: 12
« Reply #615 on: May 20, 2024, 05:43:04 AM »
Love his videos.
I just can‘t believe he learned all these tricks but never learned how to properly tie his shoes.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #616 on: May 21, 2024, 11:11:55 AM »
So you think people are shitting on Ben because he doesn't skate enough? Or you're saying everyone with 3 kids turns into an anal gear-mad unironic dude? Or what are you actually saying? I check all your boxes and I still don't like Ben very much except for his DIY building videos those are fucking on point.

Many such cases
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #617 on: May 21, 2024, 12:18:03 PM »
His comeback video surprised me. Like, how did he not know he had a cult following online? He seemed so surprised that the industry was showing him love.

He assumed Nine Club had him on a blacklist? Why? 🤣

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #618 on: May 21, 2024, 02:47:55 PM »
I don’t like watching his skating when it’s like ‘here’s a topic, now here are the tricks you crave’. He’s not good enough to just show Contextless, random tricks. He should focus on trying something new or some kind of point to it.

But he can do what he likes if people watch. That’s the actual sickest thing. Doesn’t need to be for me.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #619 on: May 21, 2024, 03:36:45 PM »
^Not to gas a poster here but I like that in dad board videos. Dude has brolic pop and skate crust. His reviews are more relevant to me
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #620 on: May 21, 2024, 04:37:38 PM »
Love his videos.
I just can‘t believe he learned all these tricks but never learned how to properly tie his shoes.

Laziness. When I taught my kids how to do it, I learned a new way; I can't even remember how to do it the way I used to (it wasn't the bunny ear method).

https://youtu.be/Q5qZpQe_4EA?si=ydJLIOb3pYRf9Edo

I don’t like watching his skating when it’s like ‘here’s a topic, now here are the tricks you crave’. He’s not good enough to just show Contextless, random tricks. He should focus on trying something new or some kind of point to it.

But he can do what he likes if people watch. That’s the actual sickest thing. Doesn’t need to be for me.

What bugs me is that it's the same tricks, at the same spots for what? Six years now?

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #621 on: May 22, 2024, 06:56:12 AM »
dude was switch flip back tailing in these videos, i have never seen any of you switch flip back tailing except tzhangdox but he's not in here talking shit

6 years ago he was 6 years younger, to me it's impressive that he's >40 and still flipping out of slides consistently while not being a pro skater

if yall want 100% honest reviews of skate gear i might have to get in on that youtube shit since in my eyes everything is trash
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 07:42:37 AM by roba »

CarcassToss

« Reply #622 on: May 22, 2024, 10:02:28 AM »
I see the logic about his spots all being the same, but I'd argue most 40 year olds aren't out in the streets spot hunting. Almost all the YouTubers skate the same spots. It's interesting seeing Ben nollie nose nollie heel out on long, respectable sized ledges and his flip tricks have massively improved. Gives me some hope that I can progress my shitty (in comparison) bag of stuff, but I FFWD through most of that stuff.

So many skaters are too cool to ever talk about shoes, gear, whatever, and he kinda made it a bit more normal. Most of my friends are the "doesn't matter bro just ride Indys" type so Slap, Ben, and Dad Board are kinda my outlet for gear curiosity.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #623 on: May 22, 2024, 11:09:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not to mention the exchange rate.
1 child USA = 1.3 children CAN

LOL

Dad Board

• Rep: 88
« Reply #624 on: May 22, 2024, 11:28:21 AM »
I see the logic about his spots all being the same, but I'd argue most 40 year olds aren't out in the streets spot hunting. Almost all the YouTubers skate the same spots. It's interesting seeing Ben nollie nose nollie heel out on long, respectable sized ledges and his flip tricks have massively improved. Gives me some hope that I can progress my shitty (in comparison) bag of stuff, but I FFWD through most of that stuff.

So many skaters are too cool to ever talk about shoes, gear, whatever, and he kinda made it a bit more normal. Most of my friends are the "doesn't matter bro just ride Indys" type so Slap, Ben, and Dad Board are kinda my outlet for gear curiosity.

I was taken aback recently when I was talking to some other skaters and the topic of blown out bushings came up. One said they have never swapped out bushings and will just ride the stock ones until they’re done and then replace the trucks. The concept of buying bushings seemed so foreign to him. I don’t ever really talk shop about skateboarding with anyone outside of the internet so it blew me away. Also have had people baffled that I change my setup around from time to time. A lot of my friends have been riding nearly identical setups for years. And thanks to you guys who said they watch my bullshit, I appreciate it.

CarcassToss

« Reply #625 on: May 22, 2024, 11:49:32 AM »
I dig your vids! IDK how many of my friends on Ace will ride the clapped out bushings until the trucks are done even tho every local shop sells the replacements. Or are like "I like the turn on Indys, here are mine with Bones hards cranked".

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #626 on: May 22, 2024, 11:57:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was taken aback recently when I was talking to some other skaters and the topic of blown out bushings came up. One said they have never swapped out bushings and will just ride the stock ones until they’re done and then replace the trucks. The concept of buying bushings seemed so foreign to him. I don’t ever really talk shop about skateboarding with anyone outside of the internet so it blew me away. Also have had people baffled that I change my setup around from time to time. A lot of my friends have been riding nearly identical setups for years. And thanks to you guys who said they watch my bullshit, I appreciate it.

I’m one of those people that will never buy bushings. I love old cracked thunder stock bushings. Part of that is at a certain point the kingpin nut is just too fucked to get it off. But I also skate curbs enough so usually my trucks/bushings wear out at about the same rate

disclosed

• Rep: 188
« Reply #627 on: May 22, 2024, 02:04:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m one of those people that will never buy bushings. I love old cracked thunder stock bushings. Part of that is at a certain point the kingpin nut is just too fucked to get it off. But I also skate curbs enough so usually my trucks/bushings wear out at about the same rate

yeah. all of this. cracked bushings feel good. and when they really so bad they'd need to be replaced its time for new trucks anyway.
also dont like taking my truck apart and having to find that sweet spot again when putting it back together.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #628 on: May 22, 2024, 02:26:24 PM »
dude was switch flip back tailing in these videos, i have never seen any of you switch flip back tailing except tzhangdox but he's not in here talking shit

6 years ago he was 6 years younger, to me it's impressive that he's >40 and still flipping out of slides consistently while not being a pro skater

if yall want 100% honest reviews of skate gear i might have to get in on that youtube shit since in my eyes everything is trash

I would watch that. But there must at least be a bit of skate gear that isn't absolute trash, right?
IG: @flowterspace

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #629 on: May 23, 2024, 11:59:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would watch that. But there must at least be a bit of skate gear that isn't absolute trash, right?

just jessup