Author Topic: Best Games for Switch?  (Read 5691 times)

Huell Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
Re: Best Games for Switch?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2023, 09:50:17 AM »
Anyone got recs for 4player co op games?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2023, 05:17:03 PM »
Anyone got recs for 4player co op games?

Overcooked 1 & 2, Moving Out 1 & 2 - crazy fun times trying to coordinate and not destroy your friendship
Mario Kart 8 - easy recommendation
TMNT Shredder's Revenge and Streets of Rage 4 - classic beat 'em up fun
Mario Wonder - colorful and charming, if you got kids it's even easier to pick up and play
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 639
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2023, 11:51:09 PM »
Just finished Mario Wonder. It was cool and creative, but so much easier than the Marios on Nintendo or Super Nintendo.

They need to release a second version of the game that includes all these mechanics but with harder levels and few power-ups.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2023, 06:32:05 AM »
Just finished Mario Wonder. It was cool and creative, but so much easier than the Marios on Nintendo or Super Nintendo.

They need to release a second version of the game that includes all these mechanics but with harder levels and few power-ups.

Worth the $60 price tag? Also did you play co-op?  Think I might buy to play with my brothers over Xmas weekend, we usually love any mario game we can all jump into

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2023, 07:10:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Worth the $60 price tag? Also did you play co-op?  Think I might buy to play with my brothers over Xmas weekend, we usually love any mario game we can all jump into

It's a fun time for immediate pick up and play action, easy for kids to pick up but seasoned gamers will find the challenge lacking. I'd look for a used copy.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2023, 09:09:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It's a fun time for immediate pick up and play action, easy for kids to pick up but seasoned gamers will find the challenge lacking. I'd look for a used copy.

Thanks. Ya my brother's and I grew up with Mario so would probably crush it a bit easily. We'll just stick with the old Mario parties for now then til I can catch a deal on Wonder

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2023, 06:11:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed.

Used is the way to go. I'm considering selling mine. I'm not sure if it is worth keeping and I can probably get a decent price for it pre-Xmas.

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2023, 06:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Agreed.

Used is the way to go. I'm considering selling mine. I'm not sure if it is worth keeping and I can probably get a decent price for it pre-Xmas.

Yeah Ebay shows auctions going right to about 50 bucks, cash in while you can. I'd probably buy once I can find for around 30

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2023, 06:56:27 PM »
Shovel Knight - Fucking great 2d adventure platformer, plus you get the DLC which is basically 3 games because each character controls different, has different levels and story arcs (although there is some crossover which only helps the story) A great difficulty curve. Sort of like Megaman/Castlevania/Metroid

I love Shovel Knight and you're right about the difficulty curve, progressive without being punishing.

Into the Breach if you like a tactical puzzle solver.

Persona 5 Royal if you like an open world JRPG with fun soundtrack. The entire Persona series (4 Golden, Tactica, Strikers) is over the top fun.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2023, 07:30:27 PM »
Has anyone been playing FZero-99?

I like it, but outside of the mini-prix and grand-prix it is the same four levels over and over again, the rankings are completely off (I'm S Class, but I can't medal. I'm consistently 8th to 25th place), and this winter update is ok, but not amazing.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2023, 05:43:53 AM »
Bought Mario Wonder for my 6 year olds Christmas.  It’s so fun to play games together.
Also find a copy of Skater XL on switch for us as well.

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2023, 11:08:43 AM »
I play Mario Kart 8 and SM3DW with my kids. It's been ton of funs everytime. Sonic Mania is great. Played Pokemon Shield by myself and can always recommend the mainline Pokemon games. Would love to get the Zeldas too.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2023, 07:40:28 PM »
Doom Eternal is pretty good.

I'm getting completely wrecked in the campaign, but for 10 dollars this is pretty amazing.

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2023, 06:46:18 AM »
I play Mario Kart 8 and SM3DW with my kids. It's been ton of funs everytime. Sonic Mania is great. Played Pokemon Shield by myself and can always recommend the mainline Pokemon games. Would love to get the Zeldas too.

I’ll have to get Sonic Mania next.  Luigi Mansion 3 has been the most fun to play together so far. 

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2024, 10:15:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ll have to get Sonic Mania next.  Luigi Mansion 3 has been the most fun to play together so far.

Ah, I always forget Luigis Mansion exists for Switch, too. Thanks for reminding. Loved it on my 3DS.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2024, 04:30:59 PM »
pikmin 4 is fun

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2024, 04:37:50 AM »
I'm currently playing Mario Wonder and I'm digging it

Like you guys said above it is kinda easy... All these new games are easy-ish and I would love more of a challenge.

The only level that made me really grind for it on these newer games was the 'Champion's Road' on Super Mario 3D World... I tried that shit for 3+ days no kidding, but the feeling I got when I finally did it was amazing and something I actually missed like that feeling of accomplishment on a game

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2024, 06:55:28 AM »
I'm currently playing Mario Wonder and I'm digging it

Like you guys said above it is kinda easy... All these new games are easy-ish and I would love more of a challenge.

The only level that made me really grind for it on these newer games was the 'Champion's Road' on Super Mario 3D World... I tried that shit for 3+ days no kidding, but the feeling I got when I finally did it was amazing and something I actually missed like that feeling of accomplishment on a game

I would love if Nintendo would start acknowledging that while a lot of it's audience is younger, they have a heavy sector of adult players who grew up on Nintendo games (esp the traditional ones like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc...) and incorporating "hard modes" in their traditional games would be amazing. Whether that's speedruns, no items, nuzlockes, etc... something you could unlock after you've beat the game to give them endless replay value.

I know you can do that in romhacks and other stuff but Nintendo is low-key missing out by just not incorporating it into their games already.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2024, 08:05:26 PM »
The surprise success of the Mario movie probably prompted them to make a highly accessible game to cash in on the new found kid fandom. This thread made me start thinking about clearing Mario Odyssey - from what I've watched it can get really challenging with the balloon mode.

Or maybe I'll start BOTW again, TotK felt too open-ended for me and the sticky mechanics felt too finicky.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 104
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2024, 02:58:28 AM »
The surprise success of the Mario movie probably prompted them to make a highly accessible game to cash in on the new found kid fandom. This thread made me start thinking about clearing Mario Odyssey - from what I've watched it can get really challenging with the balloon mode.

Or maybe I'll start BOTW again, TotK felt too open-ended for me and the sticky mechanics felt too finicky.

Yeah I never thought about that but you're probably right... even tho the game could be harder since you have all the yoshis who take zero damage so kids can pick it up and still have a good time i guess

As for Odyssey I loved that game and I'm tempted to buy it 2nd hand so I can play it again. I really liked the graphics and environments. Main story was easy but I never did 100% of the game and I think I'm ready for the challenge

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2024, 07:45:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I never thought about that but you're probably right... even tho the game could be harder since you have all the yoshis who take zero damage so kids can pick it up and still have a good time i guess

As for Odyssey I loved that game and I'm tempted to buy it 2nd hand so I can play it again. I really liked the graphics and environments. Main story was easy but I never did 100% of the game and I think I'm ready for the challenge

And if you can't hack the jump rope or button mashing challenges, you can always buy the moons and get 100% that way :)
The accessibility of that game is great

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2024, 06:27:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

And if you can't hack the jump rope or button mashing challenges, you can always buy the moons and get 100% that way :)

The accessibility is definitely a huge selling point, being able to use purple flower coins to open new stages is a great addition for younger players, but the standees feels a bit lootbox-y.

Did an hour with my nephew yesterday and some stages with timing jumps with the vine can get challenging, needless to say I was carrying the team on that one. On tougher stages I'd use Yoshi so I could keep us alive.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2024, 11:59:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The accessibility is definitely a huge selling point, being able to use purple flower coins to open new stages is a great addition for younger players, but the standees feels a bit lootbox-y.

Did an hour with my nephew yesterday and some stages with timing jumps with the vine can get challenging, needless to say I was carrying the team on that one. On tougher stages I'd use Yoshi so I could keep us alive.

I agree with everyone here on their assessment on the game. It is great for playing with kids or individuals who didn't grow up with a video game system, but a little too easy for those of us who are looking for a bit of a challenge.

I've cleared everything but the final-final level. I think I might have died 15 times collecting all coins, top of flag pole, and all standee achievements up until this final-final level. I've died at least 120 times on this level already. Currently, the plant-rope and the invisibility sections are absolutely wrecking me. I can't figure out the right path through the plant-rope section and the invisibility is do-able until my invisible toad is required to jump on the balloon fish. 

Also, I got MK11. It looks like absolute shit if it isn't being played in the dock, but in the dock it looks pretty good and is pretty fun for a 9 dollar game. Doom Eternal is also pretty great. The challenge is a little too much, which has been great. I'm enjoying getting my ass kicked by all these hell demons.

dope boy harlem

• Rep: -6
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2024, 02:14:12 PM »
yo Cool

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2024, 08:34:20 PM »
Does anyone else's switch just randomly start spazzing out on them when they start it up? Like every button is randomly automatically being pressed on rapid fire and there's nothing you can do?  After like 10 minutes it'll stop or after enough lucky power resets get through but I mean what the fuck

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2024, 12:04:55 PM »
After enjoying the board game, I got “Dorfromantik” for the switch (the computer game predates the board game).
Really enjoy it. It’s more of a super mellow puzzling experience than some hardcore game. But it’s nice to zone out to it. Kind of meditative.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2024, 10:00:10 PM »
Gotta admit I like that fruit game Suika

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2024, 10:46:40 AM »
i got mario wonder. its the first game my kids are fighting over, so it must be good  ;D

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2024, 01:32:29 AM »
i got mario wonder. its the first game my kids are fighting over, so it must be good  ;D

played it a couple of times with my son. Good clean fun. Really liked it

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2024, 04:33:23 PM »

There is absolutely no way that Nintendo started developing this game in summer 2023.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021