Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 363613 times)

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 129
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #1020 on: February 23, 2023, 04:53:38 PM »
When it come to Mike Mo, look at Andrew Allen, who used to be tech gnar in the early 2000’s. Switch heel front boards on handrails, switch big flips over gaps. Then he got injuries and became the bank charmer we know today.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #1021 on: February 23, 2023, 05:36:51 PM »
When it come to Mike Mo, look at Andrew Allen, who used to be tech gnar in the early 2000’s. Switch heel front boards on handrails, switch big flips over gaps. Then he got injuries and became the bank charmer we know today.

One can still skate 3-5 days a week. One physically can’t. This is the dumbest comparison.

« Reply #1022 on: February 23, 2023, 05:40:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

One can still skate 3-5 days a week. One physically can’t. This is the dumbest comparison.

Nah, I’m good with it. Have a nice day!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #1023 on: February 23, 2023, 05:43:20 PM »
Do you people understand what drop foot is?  His foot is basically paralyzed.  It’s not just a fucked in ankle you can adjust your skating to. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1024 on: February 23, 2023, 06:23:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How much tension do you think there is between Kelly & Justin around Justin having been a legit pro for 2 of his favourite companies, while Kelly turned pro for a company after they had already kicked him off once, and then putting him back on after kicking everybody else off, and getting 1 pro board, and never getting on a shoe company proper?
[close]
Probably none
[close]

Nah there definitely is - 13:40 onwards. Just wondering the extent of it.

yeah that was really awkward, i never know if they are just messing around or not but that was uncomfortable. es’ also follows justin but he doesn’t follow back so maybe the poster who said he’s pissed about not getting a reissue or a spot on the legends team is right.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
« Reply #1025 on: February 23, 2023, 07:37:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mike Mo made the analogy of it's like being a pro golfer who could drive the ball 300+ yards and getting injured and barely being able to hit the ball off the tee. He was also pretty tech, so I could see how now that he can't do the stuff he used to do he's not as hyped on skating anymore.
[close]

Kinda ironic that it happened drunk driving a golf cart eh?
[close]

That is what would bug me the most if I was Mike Mo. That his career was cut short from an accident he caused. He mentioned on some episode that he never knew what it felt like to have your skills decline gradually. For him, it was just a fast complete 180.
Feel like I'd much rather have an accident that was my own fault then have done everything right and somebody else's fuck up ruins my life. Maybe he even said something along those lines once.
I know he said he was glad he broke his leg and nobody else was harmed which is pretty mature for the chuck the sailor guy

« Reply #1026 on: February 23, 2023, 08:21:33 PM »
Do you people understand what drop foot is?  His foot is basically paralyzed.  It’s not just a fucked in ankle you can adjust your skating to.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #1027 on: February 23, 2023, 08:24:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He has some ankle brace type thing that allows him to pop his board, so he can technically do some flat ground. I wouldn't say anything at BATB is relevant to his overall skating ability (or lack thereof)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1028 on: February 23, 2023, 08:32:43 PM »

Some people just stop skating and that’s fine.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1029 on: February 23, 2023, 09:20:41 PM »
comparing mike mo and justin feels a little off. i know they’re consistent contributors to the nine club so it’s convenient, but mike mo is actually paralyzed. he can’t even skate a curb, he can only do flat ground. eldridge could skate ledges, stairs, hubbas, etc with proper preparation. if mike mo hung up on a foot high ledge he could shatter his leg. to go from tech god to that has to be so upsetting you just look for another hobby at that point. i’ll always respect him for hanging up his board before girl wanted.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1030 on: February 23, 2023, 09:26:04 PM »
comparing mike mo and justin feels a little off. i know they’re consistent contributors to the nine club so it’s convenient, but mike mo is actually paralyzed. he can’t even skate a curb, he can only do flat ground. eldridge could skate ledges, stairs, hubbas, etc with proper preparation. if mike mo hung up on a foot high ledge he could shatter his leg. to go from tech god to that has to be so upsetting you just look for another hobby at that point. i’ll always respect him for hanging up his board before girl wanted.
Doesn't Justin have herniated discs in his back? That's not chill either.

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #1031 on: February 23, 2023, 09:33:38 PM »
Cardiel has had like 3 photos in the 20 or so years since he got hurt (understandably).  Mike Mo’s injury is just as debilitating as far as skating goes.  He’s lucky he can even walk.  It’s not making excuses, he literally can’t skate anymore. 

I totally understand just wanting to disconnect from skating completely after skating at such a high level.  It’s gotta be like getting dumped by a girl you love and still having to see her everyday.  Some people just need to move on. 

pretty sure Cardiel would rather have drop foot any day of the week and would absolutely rip with a foot brace.

slimvanilla

« Reply #1032 on: February 23, 2023, 09:48:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How much tension do you think there is between Kelly & Justin around Justin having been a legit pro for 2 of his favourite companies, while Kelly turned pro for a company after they had already kicked him off once, and then putting him back on after kicking everybody else off, and getting 1 pro board, and never getting on a shoe company proper?
[close]
Probably none
[close]

Nah there definitely is - 13:40 onwards. Just wondering the extent of it.

[close]
yeah that was really awkward, i never know if they are just messing around or not but that was uncomfortable. es’ also follows justin but he doesn’t follow back so maybe the poster who said he’s pissed about not getting a reissue or a spot on the legends team is right.

i remember watching this being mad confused about where the animosity came from. definitely didnt seem like they were messing around tho

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1033 on: February 23, 2023, 09:54:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nah, I’m good with it. Have a nice day!
coldbrew is right and you just look like an ass. Coming from someone who is one

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #1034 on: February 23, 2023, 10:02:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Cardiel has had like 3 photos in the 20 or so years since he got hurt (understandably).  Mike Mo’s injury is just as debilitating as far as skating goes.  He’s lucky he can even walk.  It’s not making excuses, he literally can’t skate anymore. 

I totally understand just wanting to disconnect from skating completely after skating at such a high level.  It’s gotta be like getting dumped by a girl you love and still having to see her everyday.  Some people just need to move on. 
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

pretty sure Cardiel would rather have drop foot any day of the week and would absolutely rip with a foot brace.
Dude it's awesome that Cardiel still skates but Mike Mo doesn't have to if he doesn't want too. Skating's supposed to be fun

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #1035 on: February 23, 2023, 10:14:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dude it's awesome that Cardiel still skates but Mike Mo doesn't have to if he doesn't want too. Skating's supposed to be fun

it is but the two injury's are not even comparable.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1036 on: February 23, 2023, 11:33:24 PM »
Then don’t compare the injuries, and don’t compare anyone’s ability to resolve a life altering injury. Your ignorance is palpable
ableSkateMag.com

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #1037 on: February 23, 2023, 11:58:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The tension between those two is palpable and I've noticed it happening more frequently lately. It was blatantly obvious during the clipper ledge discussion. I'm waiting for the day when that shit boils over and they get into a heated argument. I can already see Justin being like "Ok, I'm done" and walking out of the apartment mid episode.
[close]

I hadn’t watched the show in a bit so I can’t say for sure over the general course of the show recently, but I did watch the clipper discussion and noticed the same thing. I don’t know about recently, but I remember Rog used to kind of get into with Eldridge too. And I really can’t blame them, seeing as Eldridge seems like that guy in the friend group who is so dumb he thinks he’s smarter than everybody else.

I’d personally be surprised if Eldridge and Kelly have 100 IQ points between the two of them, but in watching the show over the years, I have realized Eldridge is just next level stupid. Feels like there is a laundry list of idiotic takes from that guy over the years. My favorite being that it’s okay for companies to not pay their filmers because they should “do it for the passion.”
[close]

Kelly is a fun, friendly kind of dumb. Like a golden retriever. I've never liked Justin, he seems like a belligerent sort of stupid

From my experience listening to the Nine Club that’s also been my takeaway with those two.  I could see how people get annoyed by Kelly, but overall he seems like a pretty genuine, nice guy.  Justin always gives me bad vibes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 12:14:05 AM by big_kev_215 »

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #1038 on: February 24, 2023, 12:09:37 AM »
One time in a green room livestream I asked Justin when was the last time he tre flipped. He started to read it then trailed off. I still feel like kind of a dick for that one.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #1039 on: February 24, 2023, 02:42:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The tension between those two is palpable and I've noticed it happening more frequently lately. It was blatantly obvious during the clipper ledge discussion. I'm waiting for the day when that shit boils over and they get into a heated argument. I can already see Justin being like "Ok, I'm done" and walking out of the apartment mid episode.
[close]

I hadn’t watched the show in a bit so I can’t say for sure over the general course of the show recently, but I did watch the clipper discussion and noticed the same thing. I don’t know about recently, but I remember Rog used to kind of get into with Eldridge too. And I really can’t blame them, seeing as Eldridge seems like that guy in the friend group who is so dumb he thinks he’s smarter than everybody else.

I’d personally be surprised if Eldridge and Kelly have 100 IQ points between the two of them, but in watching the show over the years, I have realized Eldridge is just next level stupid. Feels like there is a laundry list of idiotic takes from that guy over the years. My favorite being that it’s okay for companies to not pay their filmers because they should “do it for the passion.”
[close]

Kelly is a fun, friendly kind of dumb. Like a golden retriever. I've never liked Justin, he seems like a belligerent sort of stupid
[close]

From my experience listening to the Nine Club that’s also been my takeaway with those two.  I could see how people get annoyed by Kelly, but overall he seems like a pretty genuine, nice guy.  Justin always gives me bad vibes.

lets just say i was watching the Muska experience episode last night and my wife made it a point to say she was happy Justin hasnt been on recently and she has no clue who he is outside of just being a guy on the 9C

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #1040 on: February 24, 2023, 05:15:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Actually Mike Mo can still skate, he did some berries contest post injury and still had lots of flip tricks. He just doesn’t want to and is limited in some ways I’m sure. Whatever hurt or not it’s his choice, no reason to disrespect it.

(Oops I see someone posted it already.)

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -304
« Reply #1041 on: February 24, 2023, 05:18:19 AM »
Omg just let Mike Mo slip into irrelevance in peace like he wants. The dude ain’t never skating at any close to a pro level ever again and y’all need to let him go. His shit is toast. It’s both hilarious and pathetic that some of you think he could make a comeback a la Andrew Allen. LOL

fastlane

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1042 on: February 24, 2023, 05:31:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

lets just say i was watching the Muska experience episode last night and my wife made it a point to say she was happy Justin hasnt been on recently and she has no clue who he is outside of just being a guy on the 9C

Turning the conversation into a pissing contest about how you had 4 pro models shoes was pure cringe.

itspizzapie

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1043 on: February 24, 2023, 05:58:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mike Mo made the analogy of it's like being a pro golfer who could drive the ball 300+ yards and getting injured and barely being able to hit the ball off the tee. He was also pretty tech, so I could see how now that he can't do the stuff he used to do he's not as hyped on skating anymore.
[close]

Do you see John Cardiel making excuses...
[close]

it's not just mike mo, it is very common amongst elite athlete to not practice their sport anymore once they've retired, wether it's because of an injury or just ageing. Cyclists, swimmers, runners etc. a lot of them just don't find it appealing to practice their sport at 30% of what they used to be able to.

This probably applies to Cardiel too but dude has to keep on making a living and he couldn't bounce back off his sunglasses brand like Mo could.

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #1044 on: February 24, 2023, 09:53:07 AM »
Would anyone be upset if eldy and steezus both left the show and were never heard from again?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1045 on: February 24, 2023, 10:22:30 AM »
Would anyone be upset if eldy and steezus both left the show and were never heard from again?
Probably the people who comment on YouTube and Instagram and donate would be. On slap maybe not so much

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
« Reply #1046 on: February 24, 2023, 10:25:15 AM »
As long as we can still imagine fucking the dogshit out of Chris Roberts I think the world could move on just fine without them.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #1047 on: February 24, 2023, 10:37:14 AM »

For all Steezus' kookiness, he doesn't fuck up the vibe the way Eldy does. I find Eldy to be generally unpleasant and unnecessarily bitter.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #1048 on: February 24, 2023, 11:04:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For all Steezus' kookiness, he doesn't fuck up the vibe the way Eldy does. I find Eldy to be generally unpleasant and unnecessarily bitter.

Eldy's vibe has had it's own character arc. He used to be a fun space cadet. He was perhaps a bit unprofessional at times, especially in terms of missing the show a lot, but honestly I welcomed it because I think that irreverance is a good reminder to not take this shit too seriously. Crob started giving Eldy shit about it and Eldy never took it well, even though Crob didnt' seem to be mean spirited. Eldy's defensiveness seemed to totally fuck up his vibe, like he's in survival mode. I'm guessing there were off camera conversations about him losing his spot in the show especially because that seems to be in the air any time they are all there talking about someone who filled in for Eldy. For example, in a recent episode they are talking about how they wish Daniel was here and Eldy seems to take it as them wishing Daniel was there instead of Eldy. Hoping Eldy's vibes can complete the character arc and he can return to good vibes, having grown in the process.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #1049 on: February 24, 2023, 11:07:40 AM »
I liked when Eldy let out a big fart on the show then tried to play it off legit.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"