Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 367125 times)

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #2610 on: February 22, 2024, 05:44:24 AM »
Crob: Okay… so look… Ron… we’re just talking here.  Couple of skaters just shooting the breeze.  Now I know you’re getting up there in age.  We all are.  But if we’re being real… what are those Social Security checks looking like these days?  Not that money is everything!  I just find it fascinating you know.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #2611 on: February 22, 2024, 05:48:40 AM »
'Rog, can we pull up Rons checking account...yeah, thats it, no, yeah there, ok can we get it up on the screen...chats going WILD right now, chill out guys, look, this is something that needs to be talked about more ya know.'

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #2612 on: February 22, 2024, 10:42:20 AM »
I think that if a guest wasn’t comfortable or didn’t want to talk about money they should just say so, and if necessary have whatever was said cut from the final edit. The nine club tries to present itself in the most professional way possible with all the gear to boot so that shouldn’t be too much of an ask.

That said, I also like that Chris pulls back the curtain on the industry by discussing money and other business dealings because whether you like it or not, the skate industry and pursuit of a career as a skateboarder was/can/could be notoriously shady. Every other day it seems there’s a top skater who gets hurt and is left hanging or stuck with an addiction problem and no financial back up. Just like there are loads of no contracts/paid in gear scenarios to wade through.
Chris loves to tell his personal story of having a lawyer intervene on his adio contract. We only know his side of the story but it serves  as a good warning for future skate entrepreneurs.

True though that discussing business and politics could make a lot of potential guests decline their invitation to join for a talk.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #2613 on: February 22, 2024, 07:28:53 PM »
I think that if a guest wasn’t comfortable or didn’t want to talk about money they should just say so, and if necessary have whatever was said cut from the final edit. The nine club tries to present itself in the most professional way possible with all the gear to boot so that shouldn’t be too much of an ask.

That said, I also like that Chris pulls back the curtain on the industry by discussing money and other business dealings because whether you like it or not, the skate industry and pursuit of a career as a skateboarder was/can/could be notoriously shady. Every other day it seems there’s a top skater who gets hurt and is left hanging or stuck with an addiction problem and no financial back up. Just like there are loads of no contracts/paid in gear scenarios to wade through.
Chris loves to tell his personal story of having a lawyer intervene on his adio contract. We only know his side of the story but it serves  as a good warning for future skate entrepreneurs.

True though that discussing business and politics could make a lot of potential guests decline their invitation to join for a talk.

because anyone "in" the industry is lucky to be there and "the only thing skateboarding owes anyone is wheelbite in the rain"

who cares if a company is making money off of dudes by slapping their names on products, those dudes should be honored their name is on anything

and if they get hurt?

fuck em, gotta sell through their stuff from last season

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Can he read

« Reply #2614 on: February 22, 2024, 08:47:24 PM »

You think Chris Roberts is pulling back the curtain on the industry? Dude, that show is pretty much the industry HR department.

Clayton

• Spot Hunter avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2615 on: February 22, 2024, 09:00:01 PM »
Ron Allen episode was awesome!

80's contest talk was hilarious. The story about trying to ollie seven guys in his run had me laughing.

Claiming Natas ollied 19 stairs in the late 80s is insane but I wan't to believe...

citycity

• Rep: -103
« Reply #2616 on: February 23, 2024, 09:15:01 AM »
I like the show but they kinda bad conversationalists. Like they are not clear when they speak, kinda, ever.

Banned from the room

« Reply #2617 on: February 24, 2024, 04:00:57 AM »
I wish there was more Ron Allen's in the world.
If he's 50% genuine than he's 111% cool.

He's so right about THERE Skatebloards. They been needing to tour out here. I wanna meet them pretty badly. I would definitely show up with the family to watch and shoot the shit.

I'd like Sci Fi to come out too. I really wanna meet Ryan.

It's one of the few revolutionary things still in skate the industry.

Cool to know that Ron's an Ally to us. He stated it perfectly and didn't hang on the subject so I know it's genuine.
Older than I mofos is usually against us. It's obvious when they're blowing smoke for a virtue stats increase.
Ron seems genuine IDGAF. Let's roll on yo. Your business not mine. Let's skate yo.
That's how straight people should be imo. I don't need pro to get caught in a virtue signaling loop.

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2618 on: February 24, 2024, 08:56:30 AM »
I had no idea Ron Allen was involved with ADI. American Dream Inc. was such a dope company but about 5-10 years ahead of their time. Alyasha was good at merging hip-hop and skateboarding without it being contrived or wack. Deluxe pulled the plug cause they were doing double Real and Stereo #s. Same reason why they canned Metropolitan. Can’t have that shit outselling Spitfire. Wack.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 58
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #2619 on: February 24, 2024, 02:53:38 PM »
I’m hoping a guest will eventually turn it around and grill Crob about how much he makes from the show. Also, might as well ask about his earnings from still having his name on a Crail board while the heat is on. Would love to see how comfortable he feels answering those questions in front of a camera.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2620 on: February 24, 2024, 03:09:53 PM »
I’m hoping a guest will eventually turn it around and grill Crob about how much he makes from the show. Also, might as well ask about his earnings from still having his name on a Crail board while the heat is on. Would love to see how comfortable he feels answering those questions in front of a camera.

Would absolutely love that. He's pretty irritating with that shit and it'd be hilarious to see the turntables

Stab n Kill

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2621 on: February 24, 2024, 04:47:06 PM »
I can’t really picture Deluxe pulling the plug on their companies, ADI and Metropolitan, solely because they are doing too well. Has that happened before within the industry?

jdholmes

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2622 on: February 24, 2024, 06:05:18 PM »
I can’t really picture Deluxe pulling the plug on their companies, ADI and Metropolitan, solely because they are doing too well. Has that happened before within the industry?

It's pretty well known that Deluxe canned Metropolitan back in the day not because of lack of sales, but because people thought Metropolitan was doper than Spitfire and dudes were wanting to skate for Metropolitan instead of Spitfire.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #2623 on: February 24, 2024, 09:20:33 PM »
It’s probably been done multiple times and laying all over the cutting room (Roger’s old bedroom at the apartment studio)

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #2624 on: February 24, 2024, 11:06:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's pretty well known that Deluxe canned Metropolitan back in the day not because of lack of sales, but because people thought Metropolitan was doper than Spitfire and dudes were wanting to skate for Metropolitan instead of Spitfire.

Hollywood at Tum Yeto too. Allegedly outsold Foundation.

I like the little bits of demons we see at Deluxe. They are nearly untouchable (for plenty of good reason), but I like the cracks in the veneer that come through on occasion. Metropolitan is [still] doper than Spitfire.

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #2625 on: February 25, 2024, 06:24:50 AM »
The Nine Club taking a week off this week.
A single episode of Mostly Skateboarding isn’t going to fill my weekly commutes.

Been trying big hongry’s Mondays and Tuesdays but the Gershwin episode is a bit out there from the start…

Any suggestions slap pals?
When’s the next bunt season starting??

AllisonChalmers

• Rep: -41
« Reply #2626 on: February 25, 2024, 07:46:05 AM »
Oh great I love Ronson Lambert. And Sean Malto has a podcast now?

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #2627 on: February 25, 2024, 08:06:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They also shelved Rase Libre.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2628 on: February 25, 2024, 09:55:47 AM »
Oh great I love Ronson Lambert. And Sean Malto has a podcast now?

together?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

citycity

• Rep: -103
« Reply #2629 on: February 26, 2024, 11:41:48 AM »
Roberts really thinks he can nosegrind that Columbus circle ledge. Kinda funny when everyone there was like ummm maybe you should look at it first.

Idk I still feel like they have such weird communication and I still love this show!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2630 on: February 26, 2024, 12:19:35 PM »
The Nine Club taking a week off this week.
A single episode of Mostly Skateboarding isn’t going to fill my weekly commutes.

Been trying big hongry’s Mondays and Tuesdays but the Gershwin episode is a bit out there from the start…

Any suggestions slap pals?
When’s the next bunt season starting??

How about this?

At least in two weeks, we should have an episode with an OG Chocolatito on the Nine Club.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2631 on: February 26, 2024, 01:01:29 PM »
Maybe This? He doesn't really talk about night skating though,
From Slap April '93

http://bobshirt.com/Slap93-1.jpg

http://bobshirt.com/Slap93-2.jpg

http://bobshirt.com/Slap93-3.jpg

I know this is a long shot, but Ron Allen had an essay about skating Oakland at night in one of the early issues of Slap. This was back when you could hit all the regular Oakland spots--Tech, Wells Fargo, the museum, Rockridge BART, etc.--and not see another skater. Anyone know if there's a scan of that somewhere?

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #2632 on: February 26, 2024, 01:50:19 PM »
At least in two weeks, we should have an episode with an OG Chocolatito on the Nine Club.

That's cool. I hope it's Paulo Diaz. But my money is on Ben Sanchez or Richard Mulder, more likely Mulder.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #2633 on: February 26, 2024, 02:34:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's cool. I hope it's Paulo Diaz. But my money is on Ben Sanchez or Richard Mulder, more likely Mulder.

scott johnston maybe? he's not og og but pretty og

wait no i'm 99% sure it's chico

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2634 on: February 26, 2024, 06:19:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

that would be sick if true

They arent gonna ask why he left Chocolate but hey

Oh yeahhhhhhh!

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2635 on: February 26, 2024, 07:09:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mulder has already been on. Can’t imagine he’d have anything new to bring to the table that hasn’t already been discussed.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2636 on: February 26, 2024, 07:13:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He answered it in BS with TG interview (9:05)

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #2637 on: February 26, 2024, 07:32:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If this isn’t true i will be very disappointed

LUGR

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2638 on: February 26, 2024, 08:35:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shamil could be interesting. Doubt it will happen though.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2639 on: February 26, 2024, 08:46:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

He answered it in BS with TG interview (9:05)

thanks!