Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798196 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6810 on: September 05, 2023, 11:48:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Do happily skate dragons some days when I'm feeling really dusted and just want to roll around easier/push less, and have low expectations though
[close]

Yep.

I'm kind of over going super hard and chasing every last bit of edge, my skate sessions are pretty chill and 98% in my comfort zone. Mostly just for fun and fitness. Switching back to the F4's the other day after a month on X Formula, I was surprised how (relatively) icy they felt, and that I needed to be just a bit more "on".

One other thing I've appreciated with the "softer" wheels, is that little bit of extra forgiveness they have getting on and off coping. It's subtle, and probably also helped by how round the V6's are, but you don't get that little moment of hangup I sometimes got with Conicals.

That is likely due to the side profile, but Conicals also might lock in a bit better.

Samsquantch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #6811 on: September 05, 2023, 11:57:57 AM »

I’ve been really impressed with the dragons. I didn’t want to like them because the association with old dudes riding Powell Peralta reissues, but they really are great. I’m definitely turning into the guy who encourages people to ride my board so they can experience them.

Haha, I can relate a bit too much...

I may not be the Powell reissue guy, but I've gravitated to pretty much exclusively skating a couple Black Label shaped decks, and I'm totally the guy tossing my board to anyone that shows interest. It's fun, I've a had a few of the young 8" deck, 52mm classics guys be like WTF!? This is amazing!

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #6812 on: September 05, 2023, 12:10:33 PM »
Most of my friends and people I've let try my setup when I've ridden dragons have been pretty impressed. But also basically all of them were like "this is cool but I couldn't skate this on my normal board it would fuck with me too much, feels wrong, tricks and grinds feel a little off"

Samsquantch

« Reply #6813 on: September 05, 2023, 12:18:44 PM »
Most of my friends and people I've let try my setup when I've ridden dragons have been pretty impressed. But also basically all of them were like "this is cool but I couldn't skate this on my normal board it would fuck with me too much, feels wrong, tricks and grinds feel a little off"

For sure, they're not the wheel I'd recommend for a "tech" skater, but it is fun when they see how good a big wide deck with softer wheels can feel for just carving around and hitting some slash grinds.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6814 on: September 05, 2023, 03:20:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For sure, they're not the wheel I'd recommend for a "tech" skater, but it is fun when they see how good a big wide deck with softer wheels can feel for just carving around and hitting some slash grinds.

Probably said this before, but quite a few of the older guys (and some younger guys / kids too) have jumped on the Dragons and said they are perfect for them, usually as all rounders or for vert / big bowls as the vert ramps are usually metal and the new big bowls are quite slippery, so something like that is good for them, not slipping out and just enjoying the ride.

Not a lot of others have been that keen when people have tried each others boards - I have had a go on a couple of boards with them on - but they are a bit of an acquired taste too.

I have other similar feeling older sets of wheels on a couple of boards I skate on those metal / slippery ramps, but the Dragons do perform really well on the sort of places that more grip is needed, usually not really needing to slide a whole lot for most of the people who ride them, so I can easily see why they like them so much.

Some others are on the X97s and think they are the best for everything, so it is down to how much you want to slip and slide or grip and not slip out too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 749
« Reply #6815 on: September 05, 2023, 08:00:25 PM »
On a whim, I ordered the classic formula 51mm bighead shape wheels from the latest Spitfire drop.  I’ve been skating F4’s for basically the past three years.  Has anyone out there gone from F4 to classic formula wheels recently?  Was the difference that noticeable?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #6816 on: September 05, 2023, 09:11:34 PM »
Not recently but 2 years ago I bought a set of 56mm from someone on here. They were grippier and a bit slower.

Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6817 on: September 05, 2023, 11:44:14 PM »
Expand Quote
However, I don't see the point of switching to them from F4s in smooth concrete parks.
[close]

Speaking for myself: Grip

I hear you – this is the only thing park-wise for me that might steer me towards the X97s once winter sets in and I have to hit the dusty indoors which can be super slippery. But as for good ol' outdoor concrete, I feel I don't need more grip compared to what F4 provides. Anything else feels kinda weird.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6818 on: September 06, 2023, 04:29:31 AM »
On a whim, I ordered the classic formula 51mm bighead shape wheels from the latest Spitfire drop.  I’ve been skating F4’s for basically the past three years.  Has anyone out there gone from F4 to classic formula wheels recently?  Was the difference that noticeable?

yes there is a huge difference imo. the classic formula is kinda trash if you ask me... there is nothing special about it at all, feels like basically every other wheel on the market. F4 (from my perspective) was invented to compete with Bones STF to offer a slightly grippier, but still super slidey wheel for long powerslides / noseslides without needing so much wax.

that being said. some top pros actually PREFER the classic formula like Brian Anderson. if you want a way grippier wheel at a significantly cheaper price point, it is a solid option because the classic shape is amazing. he obviously donest have any issue with needing to get the wheels to slide...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #6819 on: September 06, 2023, 05:27:04 AM »

Yeah and won’t do it again.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6820 on: September 06, 2023, 09:06:37 AM »

They're slower and I flatspotted my set bad in the first hour, then again after a couple days. Deluxe does not cover flatspots on Spitfire classic formula wheels. Never getting them again.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6821 on: September 06, 2023, 10:18:59 AM »
They're the reason people used to call the brand "Shitfire"

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 749
« Reply #6822 on: September 06, 2023, 11:03:33 AM »
Alright, sounds like a made a disastrous drunk online purchase.  Can’t wait!

macho taildrop

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6823 on: September 06, 2023, 11:33:12 AM »
Counterpoint: I like the classic formula. I think they perform better on crust, particularly in the smaller sizes. I prefer F4 but if they were to disappear I'd run classics. I only ever flatspotted 1 set of the several I've had in my life.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #6824 on: September 06, 2023, 11:46:22 AM »
Honestly I enjoyed mine when I had it, right after FF Conical fulls. They are a fun wheel when the pavement is hot. They feel like slick tires lol

Powell sent me another dragon spare, god bless their souls. It is 1mm wider than the other 3 but who cares.

Kaezan

• Rep: -4
« Reply #6825 on: September 06, 2023, 01:23:25 PM »
Anyone ridden the X99 and X97 from Bones? How do they compare to each other?

I really like the X97. I need some new wheels and trying to figure out if I should try the X99.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1499
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #6826 on: September 06, 2023, 01:32:15 PM »
Was skating the 97 dragons and was surprised I slid out when I did a sharp turn at speed heading for a curb. 

After years of riding bones stf and struggling to powerslide them at times, I was shocked at the slide ability of these.

Lucky for me I stick with spf skating transition. These could be icy in the wrong situation.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6827 on: September 06, 2023, 01:52:42 PM »
Why do they call the 97a also dragons. That’s confusing af. Only the && ones are technically dragons nano cubic 97a?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6828 on: September 06, 2023, 02:04:25 PM »
Why do they call the 97a also dragons. That’s confusing af. Only the && ones are technically dragons nano cubic 97a?

Powell Peralta-branded wheels are Dragon Formula. Bones-branded wheels are X Formula. Chemically, they’re probably the same based on how they market the products.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #6829 on: September 06, 2023, 05:51:19 PM »
Counterpoint: I like the classic formula. I think they perform better on crust, particularly in the smaller sizes. I prefer F4 but if they were to disappear I'd run classics. I only ever flatspotted 1 set of the several I've had in my life.

i have contemplated this, for the smaller size wheels i prefer, so good to hear it worked well for you.

i used to flatspot spitfires a lot. everything flatspotted. i think i remember darkstar wheels being more flatspot resistant (in the year 2000 ish), but they sucked too, cuz darkstar, and also felt like plastic.
i think it may have come from the sheckler via some random video clip, of him having wheels in the freezer and i would put my new wheels in there before i set them up.
also not going out and doing a bunch of speed checks the first day helped. break em in gently maybe. i was such a scrambled person (still am), that i would forget and powerslide immediately.

now i want some bigheads.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6830 on: September 06, 2023, 07:07:36 PM »

As long as you go easy on them for a bit first, they wear in well enough and hold up reasonably well overall, but that first few sessions is often the make or break, as others have said, flatspotted so quickly if you hit something or slip / slide a little too much without the wheel spinning.

I did the same on a set from someone just speed check and sure enough flatspot in a minute on the wheels, but they were new and after skating them on some rougher carparks the flatspot wore out and they didn't feel half as bad.

Brand new with the lines on them is almost a curse I find, but skating them on something rough enough to wear the lines off and wear them in, they go a whole lot better after that.

I think I have maybe half a dozen sets now from the last year alone that people bought, instantly had small flatspots, wanted to get rid of them, so I bought or swap / traded them in and now have them on some of my boards and they skate well.

More than anything I do prefer them once they have cured a bit too, so that very fresh milky white look always makes me think I am going to have an issue with them, compared to once they have yellowed a little and then I think they are going to feel and perform way better, but that is just me.

Some people hate yellowed wheels and I understand that too.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #6831 on: September 07, 2023, 04:14:15 AM »
I’ve got some 57mm Bigheads that I do like riding.  Slower and grippier for sure but I didn’t expect anything different. I flatspot mine all the time but I kinda like the feeling of riding them out.  And the shape is killer.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6832 on: September 07, 2023, 04:20:46 AM »
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the non F4 classics when I had them. They were a pleasant surprise. They did not flatspot and 'felt' great. As some pointed out, a bit grippier and somewhat better on crust. However, they wore down really quick, were much slower on most terrains and when I jumped back on F4s I realized I had no need for them. I use 97a F4s if I wanted a similar feel and crust wheel these days.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6833 on: September 07, 2023, 07:10:57 AM »
I predict a dip in F4 97 sales because of Bones X97.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6834 on: September 07, 2023, 08:17:20 AM »
yeah exactly some people are just good and they can make any wheel work  ;D
hey man, BA rides it - it cant be that bad.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #6835 on: September 07, 2023, 08:38:23 AM »
I got some Nano Cubics recently, I've been rolling around on em for about a week. So far I'm liking them a lot, they're fast, they maintain their speed pretty well and they're relatively quieter than your typical F4 or whatever. &&'s description of the urethane being a "harder Dragon" is pretty accurate, it's pretty similar to Dragon but performs a lot better on smooth ground like skateparks. I'm also really liking the fact that I can't fuck the end of my axles up, it's making me a lot more confident on certain slappies that I would have previously felt like they wouldn't work. Recently there have been multiple frontside slappy attempts I have made where I either didn't lean into it enough or came at the wrong angle or something and ended up not getting all the way up onto the curb, resulting in me primo sliding on the floor of the curb and spinning an axle nut off an axle causing a wheel to fall off and making me walk home to get my T tool with my broken board in my hands. It's good to know I won't do that anymore because that shit is super annoying. Also, for most other wheels I normally put several washers between the hanger and the wheel to push my wheels out more so that I can tighten the nut enough to allow the wheel to have just a hair of play while making the nut perfectly flush with the end of the axle, which is a method of mitigating damage to the end of the axle. I don't have to do that with these, which is rad, I can save my spare washers for some other setup. I can't really think of any objective downsides, although I personally like the idea of a symmetrical wheel more than an asymmetrical one because I'm sure these will cone eventually (despite what && claimed on youtube, George Powell's urethane is great but not infallible), and they will be really awkward to ride flipped. In summation, these wheels perform well while also preventing a lot of the annoying bullshit that typically comes along with contemporary, conventional wheels. 9/10 would buy again

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6836 on: September 07, 2023, 09:52:26 AM »
Is it noticeable difference between 99D and 97D spitfires? I find 99D a little too slippery for indoor parks.
97D might be perfecto? :D

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6837 on: September 07, 2023, 10:04:14 AM »
I use 97s in the winter bc I'm either at slippery indoor park or skating some shitty ground. They grip a bit better but I do find them  a bit slower. not everyone does. I

Samsquantch

« Reply #6838 on: September 07, 2023, 10:34:15 AM »
I got some Nano Cubics recently...

The Dragon and X Formula wheels are all the same urethane, just different durometer, and yeah, they are the real deal. X97's have become my favorite wheel, even in the skatepark.

I really hope they plan to release the Nano's in more sizes, I'd love a set of 54mm or 56mm.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6839 on: September 07, 2023, 02:58:25 PM »
Is it noticeable difference between 99D and 97D spitfires? I find 99D a little too slippery for indoor parks.
97D might be perfecto? :D

I use 97s in the winter bc I'm either at slippery indoor park or skating some shitty ground. They grip a bit better but I do find them  a bit slower. not everyone does. I

Yes, definitely a step down in the slip and slide from 99 to 97 duro in Formula Four, but a good wheel for what I wanted it for, which was newer slippery concrete parks or what I would call slippery ramp surfaces.  The 97s might still be a little slick for some people, for the more slippery indoor park type situation or ramp surfaces, but they still go well for most people, without being like softer duro unslideable wheels, if that makes sense?

I have the 97 duro Classics in 56 mm, Conical Full in 54 mm and now the Radial Full wheels in both 58 (which I sold) and then 54 mm and all of them are good in different ways, the wider surface wheels way more grippy than the Classics but they all have a good feel to them for different things I skate.

Also yes some people do say they are a bit slower, but I don't have any problems with them in the speed department, but I am not hauling ass as fast as I possibly can either.