Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 110938 times)

fakie butt drop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #660 on: October 13, 2020, 08:31:15 PM »
Saw && in Vancouver some time ago. We were walking to a Heavy Trip show under the Cambie bridge and our friend groups linked up. Was pretty drunk at this point and commented to him that he recently posted a clip without the helmet. He said something like "Aw, yea I've been getting a lot of comments about the helmet- what did you think about the trick though?"

Keep in mind it was like a... bean-planty-hand-shuv-illegal wreck of a trick and I just blurted out- "Was pretty fuckin' wack dude not gonna lie" He told me he appreciated the honesty but the rest of the walk was pretty awkward. He's a super nice guy... I'm an asshole.

phillip dominguez

• Rep: 15
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #661 on: October 13, 2020, 09:55:54 PM »
Expand Quote
I grew up playing football with this kid who lived down the street. He went to a private school but our families were friends, remained so even as I got more immersed in skating and the kid took up lacrosse. His older brother married a woman who was some sort of on-camera investigative reporter out in Bodymore, Maryland. One day, I got a call from this kid's mom, asking if I had any contact info for this pro skater who had been publicly fleeced for a large sum of money by some white-collar scam artist lady. My estranged friend's mom was desperately trying to get her daughter-in-law the plug for the inside scoop. I confirmed that I knew of the skater but, despite my past internship at Transworld, had no connections to get her an exclusive interview. I then hung up in her. Who was this pro skater? None other than Bucky Lasek.

Edit: Here's the case

https://www.espn.com/action/skateboarding/news/story?id=5299166

Guess this chick ended up doing 15 21 years for stealing $24k by faking terminal stomach cancer and getting a free trip to Disneyland (and maybe a forged check or two) lol fail
[close]

Damn 15 years for conning a trip to Disneyland? Seems a bit excessive right?

There was more to it than the trip to Disney.  She ripped off a lot of people for a lot of money, claiming she had cancer.  I remember the story when the news was covering it here. 

MORT

• Rep: -2
« Reply #662 on: October 14, 2020, 08:52:46 AM »
&& came to my local park and was doing his thing just being himself. He was super nice and supportive with the young kids, they loved all the freestyle and unorthodox stuff he was doing, but you could tell he was a little uncomfortable with the older crowd. Like he was just waiting to be ridiculed. I told him I was a fan and respected the fact he is an original and skates 100% his own way. He thanked me and asked me about lines and the best way to hit a few features at the park. He’s definitely awkward but you probably would be too if you were that gifted. && is a gem, shine on brother.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #663 on: November 04, 2020, 06:54:33 AM »
What do we want? More Bucky Lasek stories!

When do we want em? Now!

I like to think Bucky Lasek is looking down on all of us from his golden vert ramp in Encinitas, blessing us with stories that will circumnavigate the skater ethos for years to come
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #664 on: November 04, 2020, 07:13:29 AM »
Who is &&?

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #665 on: November 04, 2020, 07:48:11 AM »
Who is &&?
putting the pieces together with the helmet, freestyle, and only younger kids liking him remarks that could only be Andy Anderson

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #666 on: November 04, 2020, 08:55:08 AM »
I saw bam at a hooters when I was like 13? I was a super fan boy but too shy to day shit. We left and I spit on his ferrari. I like to think he saw me, the spit and put it all together kinda pist but kinda happy, idk if that counts.
I also pretty much screamed in mariah durans face the her hard flips were sick. She was like cool? Thanks. Then I really awkwardly left the shop. Did not return for a few weeks.
Whoa. Danger.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #667 on: November 04, 2020, 11:37:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Who is &&?
[close]
putting the pieces together with the helmet, freestyle, and only younger kids liking him remarks that could only be Andy Anderson

Ahh yes, seem him once. Wondered about the helmet. Talked to him, seemed nice. Hes a pro?

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #668 on: November 04, 2020, 01:11:06 PM »
I made a joke to a pro in line to get into a bar after a video premiere that he was in about him cutting in line, thinking that he'd remember that we'd met and skated together before. He didn't and the joke didn't land and I felt oh so foolish.

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #669 on: November 04, 2020, 01:14:33 PM »
"Ahh yes, seem him once. Wondered about the helmet. Talked to him, seemed nice. Hes a pro?"

pay attention at the back! 

2k0u0k0

• Rep: -2
« Reply #670 on: November 04, 2020, 05:58:17 PM »
I meet Ishod once at the Street Leauge in Barcelona (maybe 2016).
I was sitting in the bleachers with my friends (heavily intoxicated) and all of a sudden Ishod was sitting two rows down from me in bleachers.
Being the fucking goat that he is, I atleast had to say wassup to the man.
I jumped two rows down and satt next to him, we started chatting about whatever and he was just such a great guy.
In my drunk mind I was catching real homie vibes and feel like this was my guy you know, where gonna have a good ol’ time out here in Barcy.
So I took out an ecstasy outta my pocket and asked if he wanted to split it (keep in mind this is during the day and the contest is still going on), he decliend politely and I answered ”more for me then” and took the pill infront of him.
From what I recall he thought it was pretty funny and weird of curse. 

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #671 on: November 04, 2020, 07:13:46 PM »
Took a shot with Collin provost and got vibed out by his friends at the bar. Left right after

everythingisgreat

• Rep: -130
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #672 on: November 04, 2020, 11:16:42 PM »
Took a shot with Collin provost and got vibed out by his friends at the bar. Left right after

Trivia Time: How did the “shot” get it’s name?

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1635
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #673 on: November 05, 2020, 01:37:32 AM »
A shot was worth the same as a bullet. Old west mf
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #674 on: November 05, 2020, 04:05:54 AM »
Not like big name x games pros or anything but the first time I went to Scumco's "warehouse" basically the entire team was there getting ready to leave on a trip. I rocked up in a creature shirt and stood awkwardly by the gate unsure of whether I should just go in or wait for someone to come let me in. While I stood there KT, Kyle Nicholson, Dave Abair, and a few other guys were walking in and out and loading up the van. I massively respect KT and think Kyle Nicholson is one of the most underrated dudes out there so I was definitely nervous and I didn't even try to talk to them. A few times people kind of looked at me like "who the hell is this kook in a creature shirt" but mostly they just ignored me. Eventually Nick came down and took me back to the "warehouse" and let me pick out what I wanted. Awkward small talk ensued and I did that thing where I went for a handshake and he went for a fist bump and I ended up giving him this super weird forearm bump thing. When I was leaving I passed Ty Beall and someone else coming back from the bar around the corner with a few 12 packs.

So pretty much the only awkward part was me.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #675 on: November 05, 2020, 04:29:35 AM »
Not like big name x games pros or anything but the first time I went to Scumco's "warehouse" basically the entire team was there getting ready to leave on a trip. I rocked up in a creature shirt and stood awkwardly by the gate unsure of whether I should just go in or wait for someone to come let me in. While I stood there KT, Kyle Nicholson, Dave Abair, and a few other guys were walking in and out and loading up the van. I massively respect KT and think Kyle Nicholson is one of the most underrated dudes out there so I was definitely nervous and I didn't even try to talk to them. A few times people kind of looked at me like "who the hell is this kook in a creature shirt" but mostly they just ignored me. Eventually Nick came down and took me back to the "warehouse" and let me pick out what I wanted. Awkward small talk ensued and I did that thing where I went for a handshake and he went for a fist bump and I ended up giving him this super weird forearm bump thing. When I was leaving I passed Ty Beall and someone else coming back from the bar around the corner with a few 12 packs.

So pretty much the only awkward part was me.

i can relate, first time i was at a warehouse was super weird. i was shy and everyone seemed very busy and indifferent to my overall presence. said hi to everyone but got mostly stared down and felt like i got vibed out by all the dudes except my two homies who worked there. then again a warehouse is not a shop, no one is obliged to help you out to get your stuff. i felt like i'm in the way even when i was the only person in the aisle. it got better once i got to know more of the staff, but still felt judged for being a cheapass homie exploiting his connections that day which is why i would do that only once a year maybe.

c-dock

• Rep: 11
  • Lurker
« Reply #676 on: November 05, 2020, 04:43:08 AM »
About a year ago I saw Ishod in Philly and all I got to say was “yo watch out for that pile of dogshit, you almost stepped in it”

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #677 on: November 05, 2020, 08:49:36 AM »
About a year ago I saw Ishod in Philly and all I got to say was “yo watch out for that pile of dogshit, you almost stepped in it”

Further proves Ishod is the GOAT

Burnout420

• Rep: -27
« Reply #678 on: November 05, 2020, 11:27:06 AM »
I was at a dc demo at familia headquarters but they were letting everyone skate. I ended up being right next to Cyril Jackson so I told him I liked his bake and destroy part that just came out. He was genuinely nice and said thank you with a fist bump. Kinda boring but that’s all I got. I see Steve nesser around because we live in the same neighborhood and he’s as chill as it gets.

Massivebellend

• Rep: -13
« Reply #679 on: November 05, 2020, 11:29:35 AM »
Ryan Smith came to Ireland with DC years ago, thought he could party, took a load of drugs and had to be babysitted in the hotel the entire time. PJ Ladd didn’t skate once.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #680 on: November 05, 2020, 04:29:18 PM »

i can relate, first time i was at a warehouse was super weird. i was shy and everyone seemed very busy and indifferent to my overall presence. said hi to everyone but got mostly stared down and felt like i got vibed out by all the dudes except my two homies who worked there. then again a warehouse is not a shop, no one is obliged to help you out to get your stuff. i felt like i'm in the way even when i was the only person in the aisle. it got better once i got to know more of the staff, but still felt judged for being a cheapass homie exploiting his connections that day which is why i would do that only once a year maybe.

Haha sorry I should have clarified. The reason I put "warehouse" in quotes is because its literally just his garage. Not even a big garage either, one car with a board rack on one side and some boxes of stuff sitting around. Scumco isn't some big operation with a bunch of employees, its kinda just one mega creative dude making cool shit and selling it from his garage from what I've seen (not dismissing all the people that collaborate or help him with it). I've been over there a few times since then and I hope I'm not quite as awkward now, but the first time I was definitely a little intimidated.   

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #681 on: November 06, 2020, 01:22:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Haha sorry I should have clarified. The reason I put "warehouse" in quotes is because its literally just his garage. Not even a big garage either, one car with a board rack on one side and some boxes of stuff sitting around. Scumco isn't some big operation with a bunch of employees, its kinda just one mega creative dude making cool shit and selling it from his garage from what I've seen (not dismissing all the people that collaborate or help him with it). I've been over there a few times since then and I hope I'm not quite as awkward now, but the first time I was definitely a little intimidated.

haha alright, i guess in terms of being socially awkward, the same things apply to a garage though. thought they might be within some sort of distro or something possibly. totally missed the quotes as well and thus took it literally.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #682 on: November 06, 2020, 02:16:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

haha alright, i guess in terms of being socially awkward, the same things apply to a garage though. thought they might be within some sort of distro or something possibly. totally missed the quotes as well and thus took it literally.

Oh I'm def awkward just about anywhere, this is just the only incident involving pro skaters I could think of.

I'm not sure if this counts since I don't know if he was even shop flow yet but many moons ago I had a current DLX pro walk in on me making out with his cousin. I don't know if he even noticed what we were doing, if he did then he didn't say anything. We were in the garage of a family gathering thing and I think he was just trying to find somewhere to chill for a few minutes. He was like 15-16 at the time and I was a few years older but I was suuuuper awkward back then so I barely talked to him.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #683 on: February 06, 2021, 09:52:16 AM »
This was at Rockridge in Oakland back in 2019. I went along with a friend to a Skate Like A Girl event because they felt more comfortable with someone they knew being there. Hit the curbs and all that. There was this other dude being pretty cheerful and hyping others up, including me. He said that watching me slappy helped him figure out how to slappy the curb. Unfortunately I was dead tired that night, so I cool guyed the dude kinda hard without thinking about it.

It turns out that person was Jim Thiebaud, and I didn't realize this until a few months later. If you're reading this Jim, I am so sorry. I still cringe everytime I remember this moment.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -769
« Reply #684 on: February 06, 2021, 09:59:13 AM »
This was at Rockridge in Oakland back in 2019. I went along with a friend to a Skate Like A Girl event because they felt more comfortable with someone they knew being there. Hit the curbs and all that. There was this other dude being pretty cheerful and hyping others up, including me. He said that watching me slappy helped him figure out how to slappy the curb. Unfortunately I was dead tired that night, so I cool guyed the dude kinda hard without thinking about it

It turns out that person was Jim Thiebaud, and I didn't realize this until a few months later. If you're reading this Jim, I am so sorry. I still cringe everytime I remember this moment.

Haha .... Fuck

Ouch

You shouldn't be cool guying people. Serves you right
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #685 on: February 06, 2021, 10:21:05 AM »
Expand Quote
This was at Rockridge in Oakland back in 2019. I went along with a friend to a Skate Like A Girl event because they felt more comfortable with someone they knew being there. Hit the curbs and all that. There was this other dude being pretty cheerful and hyping others up, including me. He said that watching me slappy helped him figure out how to slappy the curb. Unfortunately I was dead tired that night, so I cool guyed the dude kinda hard without thinking about it

[close]

Haha .... Fuck

Ouch

I agree! That was definitely on me.

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #686 on: February 06, 2021, 10:25:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Haha .... Fuck

Ouch

[close]

I agree! That was definitely on me.

Don't sweat it. I walked up to a famous tattooer at a convention, unaware that it was him (I had no idea what he looked like), and asked him if he was there. He said no, haha. I only realized it a few years later when I finally saw a pic of him.

drewSTEADMAN

« Reply #687 on: February 06, 2021, 10:33:03 AM »
Once I took Jason Maxwell to a double set in Toronto, and when we got there I told him that Mark Appleyard Tre'd it and nollie flipped it third try.. I felt like an idiot after i told him. He ended up Fakie olleing it, which was dope!

Petes friend Slimer

« Reply #688 on: February 06, 2021, 10:47:37 AM »
Shared an adjoining hotel room with Brewce Martin and he literally fucked his girlfriend for 6 hours straight while she screamed in pleasure. Didn't sound romantic...more like a jackhammer. The awkward part was getting out of the hug he tried to give me at breakfast.

#freedrewSTEADMAN

SkatermanQ

« Reply #689 on: March 05, 2022, 08:43:57 AM »
Halloween 2021 I had party in my apartment in Brooklyn I guess Zach Allen and T funk tried to come in and my roommates weren't having it (they don't skate so they didn't know who they were) plus they both had no girls or alcohol so they saw them as a lose lose situation me being nosy I walked out my apartment too see Zach Allen trying to plead with my roommate I looked at him and was like "dude are you Zach Allen" and he was like "yeah man can I get in" I said fuck ya and he told me T Funk was downstairs and he tried to call him to come back but I guess he went home. Zach was chill he got drunk and did mad coke tried hooking up with one of my friends but I think she wasn't feeling him. oh well T Funk wish you stayed man I had some goodies for you that I know you would've liked