Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945627 times)

Abyss1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10410 on: December 02, 2023, 10:32:15 AM »
Keep an eye out this week.  Cameron remastered The Abyss and True Lies and it looks like Abyss is getting shown in theaters

One of my favorite movies obviously…Im of course talking about True Lies

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #10411 on: December 03, 2023, 05:17:55 PM »
Anyone checked out Saltburn?   Curious what its deal is.   Looks like it’s being marketed as  English University as the first 30 minutes of Babylon … and I thought Promising Young Woman was good but not at all great, so the pedigree isn’t thrilling me (plus I have just a facial aversion to Jacob Elordi)

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10412 on: December 04, 2023, 09:13:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Has anybody here been to the Vidiots theater yet?

They say they have capabilities for 35mm but everything I've ever seen listed as screening there has been DCP.
[close]
https://losangelestheatres.blogspot.com/2017/07/eagle-theatre.html
That booth is 100% certified legit by a projectionist (me) but I didn't realize the operation was open until today. They did a really amazing job and it musta cost a bag.

The reason they aren't running 35mm yet is likely that their attendance isn't coming close to covering what the rental fees for the prints would be. The schedule is filled with popular movies so they are likely feeling out what kind of movies hit with their audience. Even Cinefamily mixed and matched and wasn't always all prints.

I caught a screening at the Vidiots theater this weekend and, yes, it was legit. I don't know why I was expecting it to be like a living room; it was a nice theater and I'll go back for sure. Only thing that sucked was the drive from the westside.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10413 on: December 04, 2023, 09:48:30 AM »
rewatched The Social Network. so fucking good. I'd even say it's flawless. possibly the tightest screenplay ever? i know that's a pretty out-there statement in the grand scheme but every piece of dialogue is perfect, the pacing is perfect, and the jumping back and forth between lawsuits & time is perfect. also love how crisp every shot is, you can really see Fincher's precision on display.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10414 on: December 04, 2023, 08:33:08 PM »
I put on Fincher's "The Killer" last night. I think I liked it quite a bit, even though it was sparse and pretty surface-level. Fassbender is just so intriguing to watch.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10415 on: December 04, 2023, 08:56:54 PM »
Word on the film nerd street, Godzilla Minus One is great.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #10416 on: December 05, 2023, 04:19:28 AM »
Watched Total Recall on the plane today for the first time since I was like 15. That film is a trip!

itspizzapie

• Rep: -13
« Reply #10417 on: December 05, 2023, 06:56:59 AM »

great fucking movie

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10418 on: December 05, 2023, 06:47:58 PM »
Anyone watch Magnolia more than once? I feel like that’s the James Joyce Ulysses of film.
Magnolia is my second favorite movie. I saw it a few times in the theatre and rewatch it pretty regularly. I was too young last time I tried to read Ulysses so I don't totally catch the reference but I just found out recently I'm pretty thoroughly Irish so maybe it's time to circle back.

EDIT: Sorry there was a lot I wanted to respond cuz I've been away a few days to so I'm gonna @ you all

@EdLawndale The old Vidiots theater was 100% some thrown up walls and a mid video projector so I was expecting the same thing. Never underestimate the ability of orgs to snag some crazy grants. I was working the booth for the Gene Siskel Film Center opening and that was things was a huge technical upgrade from the old space so a similar sitch.

Also damn didn't know you were a Westsider! It's kinda whatever over here but I'll never have cheaper rent than this.

@Atiba Applebum I've been bingeing Godzilla (Heisei era) this past week and am pretty hyped for Godzilla Minus One. I'm sure it will take forever to show up here and will be only just OK but it does look good.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 06:59:11 PM by jakeumms »
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10419 on: December 05, 2023, 08:45:05 PM »
Upcoming movies worth checking out:

Zone of Interest - dir by Jonathon Glazer

American Fiction - won audience award at Toronto which is usually a Best Picture indicator for indie/smaller movies that upset the big dogs (Slumdog, Green Book, Hurt Locker)

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10420 on: December 05, 2023, 10:42:30 PM »
Word on the film nerd street, Godzilla Minus One is great.
yea been seeing some really high praise. might have to check it out. also really wanna watch Dream Scenario

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #10421 on: December 06, 2023, 03:06:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone watch Magnolia more than once? I feel like that’s the James Joyce Ulysses of film.
[close]
Magnolia is my second favorite movie. I saw it a few times in the theatre and rewatch it pretty regularly. I was too young last time I tried to read Ulysses so I don't totally catch the reference but I just found out recently I'm pretty thoroughly Irish so maybe it's time to circle back.

EDIT: Sorry there was a lot I wanted to respond cuz I've been away a few days to so I'm gonna @ you all

@EdLawndale The old Vidiots theater was 100% some thrown up walls and a mid video projector so I was expecting the same thing. Never underestimate the ability of orgs to snag some crazy grants. I was working the booth for the Gene Siskel Film Center opening and that was things was a huge technical upgrade from the old space so a similar sitch.

Also damn didn't know you were a Westsider! It's kinda whatever over here but I'll never have cheaper rent than this.

@Atiba Applebum I've been bingeing Godzilla (Heisei era) this past week and am pretty hyped for Godzilla Minus One. I'm sure it will take forever to show up here and will be only just OK but it does look good.

Is this in any way connected to the Monarch series on Apple TV?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10422 on: December 06, 2023, 05:19:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No, this Godzilla movie is set in the postwar period.   I think Tohio makes their own separate Godzilla ones and the Americans do their Monarch/Godzilla Kong ones that don’t cross over

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #10423 on: December 06, 2023, 06:43:52 AM »
Godzilla Minus One looks like a reimagining of the original movie with the aesthetic of Shin Godzilla - which was a back to basics “Godzilla is scary and is a product of human nuclear meddling/waste”. I still haven’t fully seen either.

Pluto TV has an all Godzilla channel that’s my jam right now (it’s now hidden in the Sci-Fi category).  Toho monster movies 24/7. I really enjoy the 90s-early 2000s ones. Final Wars is a trip. The Return of Mothra movies are a guilty pleasure too.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10424 on: December 06, 2023, 07:15:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No, this Godzilla movie is set in the postwar period.   I think Tohio makes their own separate Godzilla ones and the Americans do their Monarch/Godzilla Kong ones that don’t cross over

Speaking of: trailer just dropped for next KongZilla movie

Shtonk

• Rep: -420
« Reply #10425 on: December 06, 2023, 01:02:03 PM »
Re-watching "Portrait of a Lady on Fire" currently and it's still as good as the first five times I saw it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10426 on: December 07, 2023, 02:44:17 AM »
Saw the Abyss Special Edition.   Surprised how little I remembered after the “drowning” scene.   

Super duper hope they do a True Lies screening at some point.     

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10427 on: December 07, 2023, 07:28:51 AM »
The ending was kind of unimpressive, no? At least visually, right? I remember it looking like a TV movie. Did they improve that?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10428 on: December 07, 2023, 08:06:07 AM »
The ending was kind of unimpressive, no? At least visually, right? I remember it looking like a TV movie. Did they improve that?

Hah I don’t know why I’m being coy about a 35 year old movie - are you talking about when he boards the ship or when it emerges from under the sea?   

I thought everything looked fairly good for what it was.   It was clearly 80s but pretty damn polished 80s   

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10429 on: December 07, 2023, 08:08:48 AM »
I mean, in their review, Siskel and Ebert agreed the last five mins were "cheap". I guess I mean the scene on the beach where the ship emerges from the sea. I can't imagine there was any way Cameron could have improved that...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10430 on: December 07, 2023, 08:23:28 AM »
I mean, in their review, Siskel and Ebert agreed the last five mins were "cheap". I guess I mean the scene on the beach where the ship emerges from the sea. I can't imagine there was any way Cameron could have improved that...

Gotcha - it didn’t stand out as bad to me, so I guess that’s an improvement from the original.    Seemed slightly featureless

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10431 on: December 08, 2023, 04:48:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gotcha - it didn’t stand out as bad to me, so I guess that’s an improvement from the original.    Seemed slightly featureless
I do believe the apocalyptic water wall effect at the end was basically why The Director's Cut exists. Fox gave him a little more money to finish it up for the home video rerelease.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10432 on: December 08, 2023, 06:32:21 PM »
lol @ that guy getting pantsed on the beach at 0:56.

No way Cameron meant to put that in

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10433 on: December 08, 2023, 08:47:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I do believe the apocalyptic water wall effect at the end was basically why The Director's Cut exists. Fox gave him a little more money to finish it up for the home video rerelease.

Oh makes sense.   He took his time getting around to the 4k abyss and True lies.   Dont think either had been on Blu Ray in the states yet

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10434 on: December 08, 2023, 08:56:44 PM »
I rented North Shore.

My only problem with the movie is when Nia Peeples picked up the barny. His back was all torn up. She should have been covered in blood from their first horsey ride.

The surfing shots look horrendous on modern tv but it's actually kinda cool

I made some art from it too. This is Nia hanging out with Glen Danzig in the green hell garden at his winter cottage.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 428
« Reply #10435 on: December 08, 2023, 09:54:20 PM »
It's been probably 6-7 years since I've seen this, but it's still awesome. Streaming on HBO Max. Sorry for the Norwegian photo, but it's called Headhunters.

Irvine-Sucks.com

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10436 on: December 09, 2023, 03:11:54 PM »
I rented North Shore.

My only problem with the movie is when Nia Peeples picked up the barny. His back was all torn up. She should have been covered in blood from their first horsey ride.

The surfing shots look horrendous on modern tv but it's actually kinda cool

I made some art from it too. This is Nia hanging out with Glen Danzig in the green hell garden at his winter cottage.
The edit that we see is a little toned down. I think that one scene for example was shot with both Nia Peeples and the first actress who played that character. Nia was a replacement and some stuff had already been shot. I think the love scenes were also shot to be more risque and then cut down to just really long smooching scenes with some exposition. Long story short, it was conceived as a PG-13 or a soft R and then during cutting they dialed all that back to get the PG.

I got this all from a North Shore facebook group, which is easily the most boomery thing I've even joined, but it was pretty popping 3 or 4 years ago.

ghost of barry white

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10437 on: December 10, 2023, 11:28:31 AM »
Just watched The Holdovers and wow! It was so good. Hilarious and heartfelt.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10438 on: December 11, 2023, 02:44:48 AM »
Never have really been that into Yorgos, but I gave Poor Things a shot.   Wasn’t immediately convinced, but once Ruffalo arrives, I started to get into it.

Dialogue is very reminiscent of the Hulu show The Great.  Was/Wasnt surprised to see in the credits it’s because it’s the same writer

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #10439 on: December 12, 2023, 07:52:29 AM »
mulholland drive